User Reviews for Penciclovir topical to treat Cold Sores (Page 2)

Also known as: Denavir

Penciclovir topical has an average rating of 9.1 out of 10 from a total of 60 ratings for the treatment of Cold Sores. 88% of those users who reviewed Penciclovir topical reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Penciclovir topical Rating Summary

9.1/10 average rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Cold Sores.

Reviews for Penciclovir topical

Sorebegone · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 10, 2016

Denavir (penciclovir): “this is the best solution to nasty cold sores... If you are reading these reviews to get an idea about this medicine, stop now and order one right now. Believe everything every person is saying here about this cream. It is a miracle cream on every use.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2013

Denavir (penciclovir): “Best cold sore product available. I've been getting cold sores for years and each outbreak usually puts me in hiding for at least a week. Denavir usually keeps it from forming into breakouts and cuts breakout times by 2/3s. Coupons are available on the company's product site to help defray the substantial costs for the medicine. As someone who has suffered breakouts for years, I'd recommend this product at any price. But it's nice to have a coupon to make it more affordable.”

KennethG January 21, 2018

Denavir (penciclovir): “I have suffered from occasional fever blisters since childhood. As a teen and adult, they are embarrassing. Stress can do it, and also, if my body is fighting off an illness, which I suppose is stressful for the body. For many years, as soon as I feel the tingling of a new one beginning, I put Denavir on and it can stop it cold. It is truly an effective drug. Over-the-counter treatments do not work. Denavir does. I ask my doctor for occasional prescriptions just so I always have it in the house, even though I don't get them nearly as often anymore.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2012

Denavir (penciclovir): “I'm 33 and have had cold sore outbreaks since I was 13 or so. They used to come only once every few years but the last 2-3 years I have had outbreaks every 3-4 months or so. After just dealing with it without medication for most of my life I finally broke down and saw a doctor about it. I was prescribed Denavir about 3 months ago and wish I would have gotten a hold of it a LONG time ago. It works great! The first time I used it I already had a big blister on my lip but it helped it heal so much faster and made it much less noticeable. I just recently started to have another outbreak and put Denavir on it right away. I could still feel the tingle on my lip for several days but as long as I kept Denavir on it the blister never formed!”

Anonymous January 31, 2012

Denavir (penciclovir): “I tend to get really bad cold sores when I get sick, sun burned or chew my lips too much. After battling the flu a big sucker popped up, covering almost half of my entire bottom lip. It came on a Thursday and was completely gone by that Sunday. The only drawback is I still got the cluster of blisters - it's almost as Denavir draws out the virus and kills it fast. Fastest cold sore relief I have ever used!”

Anonymous July 29, 2011

Denavir (penciclovir): “This medicine is AMAZING. I woke up with the tingling feeling Wednesday morning by the afternoon it started taking its course. I picked up Denavir from the pharmacy that afternoon and started applying every two hours like it recommends. It has kept the cold sore at an absolute minimum. It hasn't even developed fully and I think it's already on its way out. 3 days! AMAZING! Its super expensive if you don't have insurance but if you do get this.”

Veeiscool March 9, 2016

Denavir (penciclovir): “NEVER have I used a medication for my cold sores that has been so effective. I've tried everything! Denivar is amazing. I have struggled with cold sores since I was about 12 years old, getting about two or three per year. My doctor prescribed Denivar last month when I first felt the "tingle", and it stopped the blister before it ever developed. I have found a miracle!!!!”

Boss Tweed December 14, 2013

Denavir (penciclovir): “May be influenced by sun exposure; a dog kissing you on the lips; a stranger kissing in the mouth; a woman's menstrual cycle. Apply this cream every few hours and at bedtime. It will hasten the healing. Also applying an ice cube helps.”

Anonymous July 9, 2008

Denavir (penciclovir): “My husband used a Denavir sample, attained from our Dermatologist. He did not begin use at onset but when he began Denavir, the 'cold sore' disappeared in half the normal time - no side effects either. We were astounded. Tried to get another sample -they didn't have anymore, but gave my husband an Rx for it. Checked with Pharmacy - the cost for Denavir was exorbitant. It is great stuff.”

Jackson III October 13, 2017

Denavir (penciclovir): “Mylan now owns Denavir and they have jacked up the price to US$1000 a tube. Not worth it. The patent will expire in 2020. I have stop using it even though my insurance covers this for an $30 co-pay. I have tried taking L-lysine and vitamin C during an outbreak. They worked almost as well, In the US,the over-counter Abreva works as well for me. It cost at most $15 a tube. If you are outside of the US, you can easily get generic Acyclovir 5% for less than $10 a tube. Try to reduce stress in your life, exercise and eat well. You will probably get less occurences.”

jmo33 · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2016

Denavir (penciclovir): “I have been getting several cold sores a year and I am not lucky enough to feel that first tingle. I wake up with a full blown blister! I've tried Abreva and several over the counter remedies with no luck. I finally asked my Dr for something stronger and they prescribed Valtrex. I had no luck with that either. I woke up on a Monday with a huge cold sore blister and took my Valtrex as prescribed with no luck. I saw my Dr again and asked for Denavir because I saw great reviews online. I applied it on Thursday to a very huge, and disgusting, blister every 2 hours as directed and by Sunday the cold sore was gone!! Normally it takes me almost 2 full weeks to get rid of one. This is truly my miracle product! However, it is ridiculously expansive.”

Payday27 May 29, 2017

Denavir (penciclovir): “I've had cold sores for as long as I can remember. I always get them when I'm really stressed out. I've had up to 5 at one time. At that point, I finally went to my doctor who prescribed me Valtrex, which doesn't do much for me. I went to a dermatologist for an unrelated issue and he asked what I was taking for cold sores (I had one on my lip). He prescribed me Denavir and it works wonders. Cuts out the pain and itching and reduces healing time drastically! Luckily, I have tricare, so I have no co-pays for prescriptions. I didn't know it costs so much until I read other reviews! So thankful for my hubby being in the military!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2015

Denavir (penciclovir): “I'm only 16 but I've been getting cold sores since I was about 1 1/2 years old. I used to get them about at least once every two months but now that I'm getting older I get them at least twice a year. I've had so many troubles treating mine with medication and have tried everything!! When i get them I get them EVERYWHERE, I even have intense scar tissue on my chin from previous infections. Usually I let it takes it's natural course as medicines only seem to make it more painful. But my doctor prescribed Denavir and I tried it and at first I was skeptical, I had intense pain at application, but 10 minutes later the swelling was completely gone and had NO pain. I use it more as a pain reliever than anything else honestly.”

Nicole_0324_xoxo December 16, 2017

Denavir (penciclovir): “I developed a very painful cold sore on my lip. Hands down the most painful cold sore I've had in my life. I couldn't open my mouth or talk without it hurting and stinging. I used Orajel and it gave me no relief. I went to my doctor 2 days ago and was prescribed Denavir and my cold sore is healed. I feel so much better. Would highly recommend this!”

Fenivir · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2019

“I have been getting cold sores for years. I got a tube of Penciclovir once I felt the tell tail tingle and after 5 days it had gone, it didn't even blister. I only paid R 60.00 for it, about USD 5.00. I can't believe how much Americans are getting ripped off, its scandalous.”

Jkool30 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2014

Denavir (penciclovir): “I'm recent years...maybe once every 6 months (during times of extreme stress) I will get a cold sore usually on my chin. It would normally take 2 full weeks to heal, was the size of a quarter. I tried everything and my Dr. prescribed me this. It's a miracle...plain in simple. It zaps that cold sore in 3 days and immediately starts healing. You will pay through the nose if you don't have insurance but thank God I do as it's literally $500 for a small tube. My co pay is still $30 but it's worth every cent!”

sanga February 3, 2014

“Relief! Don't be without this medication if you ever get cold sores. Mine are infrequent, but deadly and horrid when they happen. This medicine stops the virus cold. The tingle means there's a little damage already, but it heals without making a gigantic ugly sore on your lip.”

L84dnr · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2019

“Prices in the US are insane!! I walked into a pharmacy in Greece and the pharmacist suggested it...I had never heard of it. Cost me equivalent to $14 OTC. Worked great too!! How is even possible it cost $700+ here in the US?!”

Virtualsl · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2018

“This drug costs over $800 for a tiny tube in the US and my insurance won’t pay anything. I sent my prescription to a reputable pharmacy in Canada received three tubes for $104!! It took a couple of weeks to receive it but I’m thankful I found a place to buy it cheaper.”

Honey · Taken for 10 years or more May 26, 2020

Denavir (penciclovir): “I've been using it for years but can no longer afford it the cost is over $800.00 and is not covered by my insurance. Why is it so expensive and why can't we get help from insurance companies”

Jim Smith Alias February 7, 2017

Denavir (penciclovir): “Almost $1000 for a 5 gram tube! The owners should be ashamed. They'll get rich, and hopefully be able to take all their riches to the grave.”

jgas · Taken for 10 years or more June 18, 2019

Denavir (penciclovir): “Excellent if taken early will completely eliminate getting a cold sore . Abreva is a joke - it does nothing”

Terriffic · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 29, 2017

Denavir (penciclovir): “Denavir is the only medication I've ever found that takes care of a cold sore as soon as you feel the tingle. I just don't understand why a small tube costs almost a thousand dollars!!”

Sue F. N. T. March 10, 2016

Denavir (penciclovir): “Best medicine ever!! Have been using it for years...tried everything else. Went to pick up my RX today...Cost $757.00, my insurance wont pay for it anymore. This is crazy!”

SmileGirlNC · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2013

Denavir (penciclovir): “Pain is decreased as well as time of breakout. Best stuff ever but very expensive.”