User Reviews for Paxil (Page 8)

Learn more about Paxil.

Postmenopausal Symptoms 2 reviews 151 medications

2.5
Summary of Paxil reviews 609 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Paxil

For Anxiety "Paxil works great for me but it took 3 months for it to work. That's not surprising however my body has always taken a long time to get used to/accept drugs. My start up side effects were extreme fatigue, excessive yawning, derealization, depersonalization, depression and apathy(apathy and depression could've been a result for the anxiety and not the paxil) . One day while at work it just hit me and I started feeling better happier but not 100%. I'm currently at 30mg which seems to work fine. The only bad thing about being on Paxil for me is the sexual side effects(it is really hard to climax! uhg) Otherwise, I feel fine. In fact, I even have vivid dreams, which for me is nice, and more energy."

Msavvy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Took a single Paxil pill and felt immediately sick within two hours or taking it. This "sick" feeling lasted for a solid week. I thought that I probably just got the flu at the same time I started taking Paxil, so I tried it again. Nope, still made me feel sick. I didn't think it was possible to get every single common side effect listed from taking one pill, but I guess I was wrong."

Alwaysanxious December 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I 've taken paxil in the early 90s .After a bad relationship and drinking lots. It has helped with social anxiety to a point. But I have gone through crying periods that didn't seem right. It's soon to be Jan 1 2016 and I have noticed these electric shocks if I miss a day or 2. And also my memory has gone to crap as well . Is this drug habit forming Yes I'm a recovering cocaine addict and free base addict. I got off that but this plays with your brain worse ! We should be compensated for the use as guinea pigs and the torture we face to get off this medicine it does work but too much is unknown. "

countryswagget (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've taken 40 mg of paxil for anxiety and depression for 14 years and it was life changing. Slowly it hasn't been as effectIve and recently I felt as though I hadn't been taking anything at all. Now I'm back to where I was before paxil and feeling like an emotional mess. My Dr just increased my paxil to 50 mg and then if that doesn't work, she may have me try something else. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?"

Missy_74 (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "After going through a hurtful breakup and loosing my job I fell into darkness, life lost intrerest. I decided to try antidepressants. Doc prescribed Paxil. I read the reviews, most say it helps after taking it for awhile. Yesterday I took it at night. I couldn't sleep at all, after 3 hours I started to feel very weak, my head was heavy, I had an urge to stretch my whole body, lost appetite, but I did feel happier. Because it affects your serotonin, I started to think about my relationship more. All day I couldn't get out of bed, felt very weak, couldn't even walk, sleepy but can't sleep. Horrific feeling. Although I hear it helps eventually, I don't think it's worth the side effects. Bad experience."

FNYC (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have experienced anxiety for about 16 years. It took me 12 years to find paxil and I thank God for it. I was such a mess! Because of anxiety I developed agoraphobia couldn't get out of the house, be around people at all, consequently depression followed. My poor husband stuck with me through all of it. I have taken every antidepressant that's out there none of them worked, they made me zombie like. 3 days into paxil I came alive, all that noise and constant fear on the back of my mind quieted down. I could not believe it!! I had more energy because I didn't feel emotionally and physically drained any more. I finally could be in the moment and take it all in!!! I feel like I can do anything, before paxil I felt like a constant failure."

Pheobe734 December 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have always had anxiety ever since Iwas young but this past summer I was so bad I couldn't go anywhere or do anything. I was even at the point I didn't want to leave the house I was so depressed. I didn't know what I was going to do and I was ruining my daughters and husbands life so I went to the doctor and she put me on paxil 30 mg. I didn't want to take it cause I never take pills not even for a headache and was scared how it was going to make me feel. But I took it and it changed my life after about a month I could go places and enjoyed life again with God and my family's help I am doing so much better I still have some days I don't feel good but i don't let it get me down so if anyone is struggling with anxiety there is help out there"

heavenly sunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "This pill has changed my life. I had no idea how bad I suffered from anxiety until I started taking this. I take 20mg a day and after a month I noticed a huge change. It's been 2 months now and I feel like myself again. I'm so glad I decided to see my doctor and get help. I can't believe I lived for so long being so miserable. I have so much fun now doing things I couldn't do when dealing with my anxiety. I love going out and meeting new people when before I could barely leave the house to grab the mail without having crazy fears. I am able to talk about my anxiety openly to anyone now too which is a huge change. The only problem I have is sleeping, which my doctor had to prescribe another drug for that."

Jenb13 December 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "It helped withy my anxiety, which didn't go away but became manageable. I didn't see any improvements with my depression (my main symptoms are anhedonia and fatigue, the last one actually worsened). Getting out of 40mg was ok, just felt a bit anxious in the first days. I took paxil ~ 2 months"

El Cid (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I have been on Paxil for 13 years. This medication has saved my life. I was prescribed the medication for depression but recently, I was diagnosed with PTSD due to some things that took place when I served in the Marine Corps. I would be dead without this medicine. I am now on 60mg."

AnitaV November 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After a few intense months of panic and high anxiety, I finally was brave enough to try this medication. I have tried other SSRIs in the past, but usually found them very agitating at the "normal" doses, so I have learned to start and stay very low. After a month of insomnia I finally decided to give Paxil a try. I started at 2.5mg. The first few days were fine, I felt sleepy and a bit lazy, but at least that was better than high-strung panic. At about a week, I started to experience some small benefits, and some fairly harsh side effects (nausea, diarrhea, derealization, increased panic). At a month, much better and I was sleeping well again. However, getting off this medication after 5 months was really challenging and uncomfortable."

jillybean2 November 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "This medication has worked for me for over five years. I started taking it for anxiety but it has also helped me with my extreme shyness. It throws a wet blanket over your emotions. It does reduce both the highs and lows and evens out your emotions."

Bbelement November 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I took the lowest dose 10mg. The first two days were great I had zero anxiety and felt okay with no side effects but slight lightheadedness. The third day... I was putting on my make up just before work and all of the sudden my pupils got huge and my heart started beating a mile a minute. This calmed down but happened again five minutes later. It started happening every 3-5 minutes and then my chest, feet, and armpits started burning. I started having a panic attack because I was so afraid of what was happening. I couldn't see right anymore and I was very dizzy. On the way to the hospital I thought I was going to die. My side effects were so severe. This happened for two days after. Doc flushed it out of my system. Beware of this medication"

KKCCC (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been on Paxil for about two months. The first two weeks I was on 10mg, and I could feel a big change. My pupils would dilate huge, which I read was because my brain was finally being flooded with serotonin. I actually would relate the side effects I felt as similar to MDMA (I spent from 19-23 as an avid drug user..have been clean now for 4 years). I felt awesome, but it didn't last. Two weeks in, my doctor increased my dose to 20mg. Since the increase, the "good feeling" has kind of went away. I feel how I did before I started Paxil, PLUS it's hard to think clearly&feels like something is pressing on my chest at night. I have absolutely no sex drive and have lost more than 20lbs due to not eating. It's done nothing for my anxiety yet."

KayleighFGG (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I took this about 3 years ago for a massive mental breakdown I was having panic attacks multiple times a day I couldn't get out of bed I couldn't leave the house I couldn't eat I couldn't do anything I was prescribed this and ativan and eventually after probably a month of horrid horrible experience I started to come out of my anxiety depression all of it I came off of the drug probably a couple months later and was completely fine for about 2 years with just normal anxiety that I could manage. I tried it again a couple weeks ago for the same reason and it was hell was suicidal within the first 3 days in every side effect I can think of I discontinued immediately now looking for something else "

Arielle828ddss? November 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "My physician prescribed me 20mg of paxil daily when I saw her for anxiety/depression. The first couple of days I had trouble sleeping and had a lot of energy, but no anxiety. This drug definitely reduced my anxiety and I felt more sociable, but after a month or so I noticed that I couldn't focus and I started to lose motivation to do anything and had no energy. I felt more depressed than before I had started the medication, and on my days off from work I would end up sleeping all day. Quit cold turkey whike taking 5-htp and experienced the brain zaps for a couple days, but now I feel like myself again. I can't recommend this med. I think exercise and good diet are more effective at improving my mood."

Romy333 November 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've suffered from depression for the past ten years, and terrible anxiety since a very young age (especially social anxiety). I've never truly felt happy for any significant period of time. My anxiety can be so severe that I can't even leave my house sometimes. Certain noises, crowds, being out in public, can cause me extreme anxiety which leads to anger and irritability. I also battle alcoholism due to my illnesses. I've been taking Paxil for two weeks and after only 2 days my anxiety VANISHED. My mood is slowly lifting, and I have no desire at all to drink alcohol!! I've even lost weight because I don't stress eat anymore and my appetite has decreased. The first week or so I did feel drowsy/high, but that feeling is going away slowly."

Anon male, late 20's (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety ""I have GAD, and after three years of taking care of my younger brother who has severe GAD as well as going through an episode of pyschosis, I was told by my pdoc that I have "caregiver's burnout". I was prescribed 20 mgs of Paxil every day and 15mg of Buspirone (Buspar) twice a day. It has been nearly a month now on these meds and I do see an improvement. I'm not sure which one is helping me more but my anxiety level has gone from an 8 or 9 every day to about a 5. I hope to see continued improvement.""

JTChase November 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "PROS: relieved GAD symptoms, rested better at night, generally in a better mood most of the time. CONS: gas, bloating, erectile dysfunction. Stopped taking the med 10 days ago and the withdrawal symptoms are awful! vertigo, electric shock sensations throughout my body, dizziness, mood swings etc. coming off this is like trying to break a coke addiction. antihistamines help with the vertigo,.5 mg of klonopin helps with mood swings. L-TYROSINE AND P-5-P helping also to control symptoms. find an alternative medication. Dr will not tell you how hard it is to get off this crap."

Worst DRUG ever! November 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I am on Paxil for 10 years and I can't live without it"

Phurriz November 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have had anxiety for over 40 years and I never thought I would feel like this. Paxil has help me a lot and I wish I had taken if earlier. It help me with my anxiety being about 80% less. I'm not as compulsive now. I lost 20 pds because I was not as anxious and eating all the time."

Roy2 October 27, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I've been taking Paxil since I was 9 years old. I'm now 19. Paxil has changed for the best. As a child I missed 4 months of school because I was so scared and nervous, I would puke until my parents told me I didn't have to go then I would instantly feel better. I tried in middle school to stop taking Paxil but I became scared, nervous, and edgy. It has just given me a little balance and control over myself, I'm very thankful for Paxil and that medication has come so far and has offered neurological help and relief to those who need it"

John.' October 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Has changed my entire life. Only side effect is delayed orgasm"

sjayyyyyyyyy October 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Worked great for anxiety. I was calling 911 thinking I was dying that's how bad it was. I tried a bunch of SSRI's. Paxil suppressed all my feelings which took the anxiety away. But made me impotent Not a good result for me."

Ericlh100 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on Paxil for a year now. I can honestly say overall it works wonders for my anxiety and stress. However, the weight gain is too much for me to deal with. It is difficult to lose weight on Paxil. I am going to be changing meds soon. If you have no weight issues to begin with or not self conscious of weight gain, give it a try. This medication is great for its intended purposes."

Daydreaming (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2015