User Reviews for Paroxetine (Page 8)

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

6.9

4 reviews
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 7.3 941 reviews

Reviews for Paroxetine

For Anxiety: "Took for two days, slept a lot in and out. Felt like a zombie, lost memory, couldn't function normally. Called the Dr. after two doses , he suggested cutting the pill in half , will try soon , afraid to start again, I didn't like the effect at all , but I will try soon again. Lets hope I can tolerate better this time . I will resume tonight, praying this works. I wouldn't suggest driving at all."

bob cet January 31, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I absolutely HATED this medication. I have been struggling with panic attacks and major depression since I was younger. I was put on this medication for about a year and my panic attacks were not so often. The downsides of medication Is that I felt little to no emotion, And had ZERO sex drive."

MeowxD January 31, 2017

For Hot Flashes: "I've been on paroxetine for a little over 3 months. My Dr told me I wouldn't see a difference in my hot flashes from this medicine until at least 2 months. My hot flashes are fierce. I get drenched at least 10 Times at night. And all through the day. I told my Dr I wanted something to work right away, so he gave me clonidine along with it, which I wasn't able to take, cause it made me to sleepy. Anyway, the praxetine did work after 2 months, as long as I don't drink alcohol."

Yny January 26, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have had great success with Paxil. These personal comments we leave should really be considered with a 'grain of salt'. There are so many unknown variables which dictate success of a drug on one person and failure with the same drug on another person. If you read through the thread of helpful comments here you will see that there is the need to be very candid with your health care provider and be ready to try different medications until you find satisfaction. These medications DO WORK. You just have to find the right one for you. Have faith. You will find the right med for you. Life is amazing and will go on and get better!! Never give up. Every day is a new chance."

SeanfromCanada January 26, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Had withdrawal symptoms and interactions on other meds and had to come off, I had GAD but got panic attacks during that process that I could not shake off despite CBT helping somewhat. I was scared starting Paroxetine but had a good rapport with my Doctor who thought it would help me after much discussion. I took Paroxetine with my breakfast. 10mg at first now 20mg. The 20mg after a few weeks helped switch panic attacks off and stopped me fixating on subjects. I still have my senses in tact am just not as anxious. I was considering higher dose but prefer to stay low. I have my mojo back at last! Female age 56"

Soul searcher (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I don't understand why people quit after 3 days starting it. It made them too anxious or depressed - isn't this why you are taking it? It doesn't work overnight. I too am very impatient and would prefer a quick fix. But the first 2 weeks are rough but if your persevere the benefits outweigh the startup. I'm into my 3rd week and it's working really well it is like a lightbulb moment. I gave a 9 because for the life of me I cannot orgasm but I'll take that over the suicidal thoughts and feeling lifeless anyday... remember give it time your brain needs to adjust... stay strong x"

Ethan100 January 23, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "My depression is weird, mostly due to tapering off of and recovering from benzodiazepine dependency. I have awful anhedonia and have been watching my life crumble in slow motion over the past year. I know I needed to do something. The Paxil is a stopgap solution but so far I'm starting to climb my way out. I can't really attest to side effects. The worst I guess is a dry mouth and fuzzy thinking, but honestly, I've been depressed for so long, I can't say my thinking has been that great to begin with. I was afraid it would lower my libido and I'd have anorgasmia, but so far no. My logic is thusly, I may end up losing my job because of "personal problems". Won't it be nice if I can actually handle such an eventuality instead of giving up?"

Encouraging results so far January 21, 2017

For Anxiety: "I am 35 yrs old male, and I have extreme anxiety (can’t move out from the house) and panic attacks. Started 3 months ago, take only 15 mg/day: 1st week: extreme nausea from 2nd week: felt nothing, sometimes I had some light nausea, but nothing serious side effect. from 4th week: definitely felt myself better, most of my anxiety and panic attacks are gone. from 12th week: the drug shows his evil side. I don’t know why, but I feel myself like a zombie. The extreme nausea is back, I always have headache, and my appetite is totally lost. On the one hand this drug is great against anxiety, but on the other hand, has many many terrible side effects. I guess, I’ll quit, not worth it."

francooois (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "IT started in the spring of 1996. I began having stomach pains horribly EVERYDAY. Nausea. I had made a major life change in going into something with a 4 and 1 year old that I did not want to really do but my wife wanted BAD... By September of that year, I had become in such pain and lost 50lbs that my intern put me in the hospital for one week with EVERY test of the digestive system. Long story short, I left the hospital with a diagnosis of GAD and secondary IBS. Went home and didn't sleep one week, so doctor put me in a private mental home. They put me on 1mg klonopin and 20mg paxil and 50mg Trazadone for sleep. In 5 days, NO stomach problems at all. Ate 3 square meals, played ball, went to gymn. WAS ALIVE AGAIN!!!"

Anonymous January 20, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "For all of you writing your bad experiences on here really need to rethink the purpose of your post. Writing about an experience that is short of something you would see in an exorcism movie (head spinning, projectile vomiting, sweating, hyperventilating etc.) Be careful. You are posting in a forum of people who have diagnosed anxiety and they turn to the Internet and read these posts, that more than likely are exaggerated, breeding greater anxiety or worse making someone not take the medication. The medication was prescribed for a reason with hundreds of millions of dollars in research spent in studying it. Ranging from bacterial study to small animal study to large animal study to human trials etc. This medication is very safe."

Jacob1985 January 19, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I only started Paxil last night. I took 5mg and about 2 hours later it felt like a steel curtain had dropped on my looping intrusive thoughts. ADs have always been a problem for me. They only work to an extent and the side effects are intolerable. I'm taking Paxil long enough to hopefully bridge my way from the difficult place I'm in right now, to some place where I feel more confident and comfortable. This morning, the intrusive thoughts returned with renewed vigor. I took another 5mg and again, 2 hours later they were gone. It's surreal being present. I'm used to spending my time ruminating on the past or fearing the future. This will take some getting used to, but if this is a sign of things to come, I have hope."

Too Much Thinking January 18, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was given 12.5 mg of generic Paxil 5 days ago. My anxiety started to manifest itself with uncontrollable crying. While it's has been only 5 days, the crying has stopped. So I'm happy with that. However, I am experiencing side effects: lightheaded, pin prick feelings in arms and legs, some joint pain, lower back pain, and lethargy that makes me feel like doing/caring about nothing. Because the side effects come and go, I'm willing to wait it out to see if everything mellows out."

MazzyStar1 January 16, 2017

For Hot Flashes: "I went through menopause from 50-55 and Paxil was a lifesaver. My gynecologist prescribed it when all of the supplements for menopause symptoms were of no help. Hot flashes have returned at the age of 60 for some reason, and I'm taking Paxil again. Working like a charm with no side effects."

Lilac13 January 16, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I'm currently 18 and I have been on paxil for a few months, it's my first try on an SSRI or any medication for anxiety. It works really well, I'm on 20mg and its not that I'm never anxious but my life feels liveable and that's what matters to me. Despite at first always being super sleepy it was nothing compared to thinking wow this is how life is mostly supposed to be like. For me it works, but falling asleep a lot was poo,and there are still certain triggers that I still don't/can't stand but its much better now. Please note people that you don't just quit an SSRI! You have to talk to a doctor on getting off of it or else your brain will be like what is going on. Thus the side effects of withdrawal and so on."

Celeste Nyx January 14, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Paxil has changed my life. I was terrified to start another medication for depression and anxiety because of all the bad experiences I have had. I have tried over 10 medications and finally after just a week with this medication it has completely changed eveything for me. I feel like my normal self and can enjoy life again!!"

Cherry56 54 January 13, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Been on Paxil for 17 years, started with 10 mg, stayed with that dosage for about 10 years. Loved it in the beginning, slept great and mood improved a bunch. Eventually I went to 20 mg. It's worked okay over the years. I noticed some improvement with the increase, but never really significant.The transition from 10 to 20 was seamless. Over the years I have tried to switch to other SSRIs as it seems the Paxil just wasn't doing it anymore. But none have made me sleep better than Paxil, so I always go back. After a miserable attempt with Celexa, I'm now trying 30 mg of Paxil. I never thought my dose would get so high. I'm on Day 4, and other than a constant headache, I feel no changes. Hoping my mood and outlook improves one of these days."

DanaO420 January 8, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Before I was on Paxil,I just felt sad all the time. I felt like crying a lot,I could hardly get through work, I had a loss of interest in activities, I lacked energy, plus most of the other symptoms for major depression (except for thoughts of suicide), I had..and this went on for almost a few years until I finally had enough and sought out the help of a doctor. The doctor prescribed Paxil 20mg once a day, and I swear I have never felt better in my life. I feel like I finally have my life back, and I don't feel sad all the time. Most importantly,I feel like myself again"

This medicine is awesome (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Been on Paxil for about a month and I feel great...I'm on 20 MG but may need to go higher I'm not at 100%"

Jules3779 January 4, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Everyone's experience is different. I was prescribed paxil 20mg for depression /social anxiety. I have been taking it for over a month. I was incredibly afraid to take it but now that I have been taking it I'm really happy I did. This is the best I have been mentally my entire life. I read a lot of negative things on the internet, but that was not my experience. I have more clarity now. I LOST WEIGHT! I'm happy waking up. I sleep amazing. I feel like I don't even have depression anymore. It has helped some with anxiety. I did have negative side effects for the first week, but that passed quickly. If you're like me you looked up things on the internet and got scared. Please listen to your doctor and not the whiney people on the internet."

Has too many cats January 3, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "20 years I've been on Paxil from age 31 til now, at 51 (with one year off with Effexor). I had ever panic attacks combined with depression. Its been a great it saved me. About 5 years ago I was tapering off very nicely without side effects. Then six months later I spiralled with another very, very dark depression, with intense anxiety. Wanted to die, but would never intentionally do it. Had to seek a psychiatrist who put me on non-SSRI's. I continued to spiral down. Finally went to another Dr who put me back on Paxil. I was extremely grateful as it got me better very quickly. I don't think I will ever try going off again."

CQ (taken for 10 years or more) December 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "At first I loved paxil because I wasn't crying all the time but even as I'm writing this I feel like there are sprinklers going off in my head. I'm always forgetting things, 0 sex drive, either I'm in a euphoric state of mind or completely absent minded. I constantly feel stoned (and not the good kind).I just started a new job and I can hardly focus."

Crazy. Jerky. Mood swings December 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Paxil for anxiety & depression when I was 13. Initially, it did all it was promised with few side affects. Over the years it seemed to lose it's effectiveness, but I was afraid to come off it for fear I would be worse off. Finally started the process of weaning myself off it when multiple reports came out saying it was DANGEROUS and had multiple long term effects on teenagers. I had been taking it for nearly a decade. The withdrawals were the worst thing I have experienced in my life. Thought I was dying. My face and limbs didn't feel real. The "zaps". I was nonfunctional, and this lasted months. Please use extreme caution and have someone closely monitor you when you decide to wean off this medication."

FormerPaxilUser (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I love this med although at first like the first I felt like a zombie no emotions whatsoever. It was like numb feelings wise for a day. As time passed my med helped my insomnia significantly. The insomnia had been affected my mood that caused me to have crying spells. Paroxetine definitely helped with these spells. Recently my dad passed away and my mom was scared that I would have a bad crisis but all I have is the normal grieving process. Thank Goodness because my mom needs me strong."

PAOLA ULLOA (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "This medication gave me liver failure in a matter of three weeks. I am lucky to be alive after being prescribed this awful drug!"

SHDOW December 21, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am taking 20mg of Paroxetine a day. I have only been taking it for one week but I am starting to feel a lot more positive. I don't feel as tired, I'm not comfort eating and I find myself in a better mood. I understand it has only been a week but I haven't felt this "up" on other SSRI's, my previous one being Sertraline which did not agree with me. My side effects have been a headache (for the first 3 days), constant dry mouth, trouble sleeping through the night, my jaw feels tight and lack of appetite. I also suffer from Trichotillomania, I have still found myself pulling eyelashes. It has only been a week so I hope I continue to improve."

KMH90 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016