User Reviews for Paroxetine (Page 8)

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

Depression 164 reviews 80 medications

Postmenopausal Symptoms 2 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 756 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I have tried most SSRIs and some SNRIs. Paxil was indeed the most effective for me with my anxiety symptoms. By now you have probably read the horror stories on the internet about coming off of it. Indeed this happened to me. It was horrible. I went off of it because I thought I was better and ended up off of work because my symptoms got so bad. This was because I was being followed by a GP who did not know about discontinuation syndrome (early 2000s). However, I wouldn't write this drug off necessarily. After the discontinuation hell I experienced I was referred to a psychiatrist who used the taper to Prozac method to get me off of Paxil.This method worked for me. Hope this may help someone to know about it."

upatreereadingabook (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I was diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder three years ago. I have tried ever antidepressant out there. None ever gave me relief except for paxil. I truly credit paxil for saving my sanity, and stopping most of my panic attacks. Although I still have anxiety from time to time, it is nothing I can't manage. I've been taking 40 mgs of paxil for about 9 months. I finally feel like my normal self again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder and heart disease. Insomnia from hot flashes will make lower my seizure threshold. Once I had the heart attack hormone therapy became out of the question. My doctor prescribed 20 mg of Paroxetine. Within days the frequency and intensity of my hot flashes diminished. In addition, I am more relaxed than I have ever been in my life. The downside is if you miss a dose the hot flashes come back with force!"

Luna Moody (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Was on this tablet for 11 years and it changed my life. Foolishly reduced the dose 6 months ago to prepare to come off them and have relapsed. Back on them 10 days now and waiting for them to kick in. Wish I'd stayed on them now - they literally saved my life."

Blondie50* January 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I'm 21 years of age and up to now, I've been taking 20 mg for the past 9 months. Since I was 16 or so I've suffered from, at least in the beginning what some may call 'smiling' depression, and what followed was chronic depression in my 20s. At 17-18 years of age I participated in cognitive behavioural therapy (coping mechanisms). I suffered frequent panic / anxiety attacks, suicidal thoughts, etc. 19-21 went to college. Chronic depression hit hard and they put me on 20 mg Paxil. I have never felt better in my life. Usually it is difficult to realise when one is in such a state, and now that I can see things "clearly", I've excelled in school and in other social conditions. In Europe, the Gov't produces Paxil without a brand name. Cheap."

Lily-Rose January 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Paxil works great for me but it took 3 months for it to work. That's not surprising however my body has always taken a long time to get used to/accept drugs. My start up side effects were extreme fatigue, excessive yawning, derealization, depersonalization, depression and apathy(apathy and depression could've been a result for the anxiety and not the paxil) . One day while at work it just hit me and I started feeling better happier but not 100%. I'm currently at 30mg which seems to work fine. The only bad thing about being on Paxil for me is the sexual side effects(it is really hard to climax! uhg) Otherwise, I feel fine. In fact, I even have vivid dreams, which for me is nice, and more energy."

Msavvy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "I use to take this drug when I had severe anxiety and depression disorder. My doctor changed my dosage as needed and I took anywhere from 10-40mg at a time. I eventually stopped taking it with my serious side effects and was doing good until recently when I started taking 10mg again. I started getting chest heaviness, numbness and tingling in my arms, hands, feet and head. Leg pain at night. Back pain. Ice pick headaches, heavy headedness, dizziness, weakness. Numbness in throat and trouble swallowing, complete loss in sex drive and unable to orgasm, and I think, white vaginal discharge and severe anxiety. I find most symptoms are worse the first few hours after taking it. I don't know why it's doing this now and not before."

Red14 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Took a single Paxil pill and felt immediately sick within two hours or taking it. This "sick" feeling lasted for a solid week. I thought that I probably just got the flu at the same time I started taking Paxil, so I tried it again. Nope, still made me feel sick. I didn't think it was possible to get every single common side effect listed from taking one pill, but I guess I was wrong."

Alwaysanxious December 30, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I 've taken paxil in the early 90s .After a bad relationship and drinking lots. It has helped with social anxiety to a point. But I have gone through crying periods that didn't seem right. It's soon to be Jan 1 2016 and I have noticed these electric shocks if I miss a day or 2. And also my memory has gone to crap as well . Is this drug habit forming Yes I'm a recovering cocaine addict and free base addict. I got off that but this plays with your brain worse ! We should be compensated for the use as guinea pigs and the torture we face to get off this medicine it does work but too much is unknown. "

countryswagget (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I've taken 40 mg of paxil for anxiety and depression for 14 years and it was life changing. Slowly it hasn't been as effectIve and recently I felt as though I hadn't been taking anything at all. Now I'm back to where I was before paxil and feeling like an emotional mess. My Dr just increased my paxil to 50 mg and then if that doesn't work, she may have me try something else. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?"

Missy_74 (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2015

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "My anxiety has been with me since I was 11. I ended up dropping out of both high school and university because I couldn't go to my classes. I used to dread any and all excursions out of the house, no matter how small. I would feel horribly anxious if anything outside of my normal routine came up (doctor's appointments, people coming over, etc). Forget working. I felt so hopeless and didn't want to take prescription medication, but I'm so glad I did. I've been on paroxetine for 4 months and I feel like a different person. I don't drive myself nuts with worry. I started on 10mg and went up to 20mg a month ago. Side effects I've experienced are both drowsiness during the day and insomnia at night. It's worth it. I'm even looking for jobs now!"

UsneaDecay (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "After going through a hurtful breakup and loosing my job I fell into darkness, life lost intrerest. I decided to try antidepressants. Doc prescribed Paxil. I read the reviews, most say it helps after taking it for awhile. Yesterday I took it at night. I couldn't sleep at all, after 3 hours I started to feel very weak, my head was heavy, I had an urge to stretch my whole body, lost appetite, but I did feel happier. Because it affects your serotonin, I started to think about my relationship more. All day I couldn't get out of bed, felt very weak, couldn't even walk, sleepy but can't sleep. Horrific feeling. Although I hear it helps eventually, I don't think it's worth the side effects. Bad experience."

FNYC (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have experienced anxiety for about 16 years. It took me 12 years to find paxil and I thank God for it. I was such a mess! Because of anxiety I developed agoraphobia couldn't get out of the house, be around people at all, consequently depression followed. My poor husband stuck with me through all of it. I have taken every antidepressant that's out there none of them worked, they made me zombie like. 3 days into paxil I came alive, all that noise and constant fear on the back of my mind quieted down. I could not believe it!! I had more energy because I didn't feel emotionally and physically drained any more. I finally could be in the moment and take it all in!!! I feel like I can do anything, before paxil I felt like a constant failure."

Pheobe734 December 11, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I have always had anxiety ever since Iwas young but this past summer I was so bad I couldn't go anywhere or do anything. I was even at the point I didn't want to leave the house I was so depressed. I didn't know what I was going to do and I was ruining my daughters and husbands life so I went to the doctor and she put me on paxil 30 mg. I didn't want to take it cause I never take pills not even for a headache and was scared how it was going to make me feel. But I took it and it changed my life after about a month I could go places and enjoyed life again with God and my family's help I am doing so much better I still have some days I don't feel good but i don't let it get me down so if anyone is struggling with anxiety there is help out there"

heavenly sunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "This pill has changed my life. I had no idea how bad I suffered from anxiety until I started taking this. I take 20mg a day and after a month I noticed a huge change. It's been 2 months now and I feel like myself again. I'm so glad I decided to see my doctor and get help. I can't believe I lived for so long being so miserable. I have so much fun now doing things I couldn't do when dealing with my anxiety. I love going out and meeting new people when before I could barely leave the house to grab the mail without having crazy fears. I am able to talk about my anxiety openly to anyone now too which is a huge change. The only problem I have is sleeping, which my doctor had to prescribe another drug for that."

Jenb13 December 4, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Great. Changed my life for the better"

jfish1 December 3, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "It helped withy my anxiety, which didn't go away but became manageable. I didn't see any improvements with my depression (my main symptoms are anhedonia and fatigue, the last one actually worsened). Getting out of 40mg was ok, just felt a bit anxious in the first days. I took paxil ~ 2 months"

El Cid (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have been on Paxil for 13 years. This medication has saved my life. I was prescribed the medication for depression but recently, I was diagnosed with PTSD due to some things that took place when I served in the Marine Corps. I would be dead without this medicine. I am now on 60mg."

AnitaV November 29, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "After a few intense months of panic and high anxiety, I finally was brave enough to try this medication. I have tried other SSRIs in the past, but usually found them very agitating at the "normal" doses, so I have learned to start and stay very low. After a month of insomnia I finally decided to give Paxil a try. I started at 2.5mg. The first few days were fine, I felt sleepy and a bit lazy, but at least that was better than high-strung panic. At about a week, I started to experience some small benefits, and some fairly harsh side effects (nausea, diarrhea, derealization, increased panic). At a month, much better and I was sleeping well again. However, getting off this medication after 5 months was really challenging and uncomfortable."

jillybean2 November 28, 2015

For Depression: "PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE It worked amazingly for what they were prescribed for (anxiety, depression, eating disorders) at first, but coming off has been awful and the doctors don't warn you about it. Do not try to come off cold turkey! Withdrawal made me feel like there was electrical current in the back of my brain, and the longer I went without it, the shorter the intervals between the brain zaps are. I still get it sometimes, but only if I forget to take it. I became really unfocused and disorientated for 2 weeks. I couldn't have conversations or work - I had no attention span and couldn't function. I had to go back on them. They only go down to 20mg so I take halves, first every day, now every other. I've been trying to get off it for over 2 years"

Kjx November 27, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "This medication has worked for me for over five years. I started taking it for anxiety but it has also helped me with my extreme shyness. It throws a wet blanket over your emotions. It does reduce both the highs and lows and evens out your emotions."

Bbelement November 22, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I took the lowest dose 10mg. The first two days were great I had zero anxiety and felt okay with no side effects but slight lightheadedness. The third day... I was putting on my make up just before work and all of the sudden my pupils got huge and my heart started beating a mile a minute. This calmed down but happened again five minutes later. It started happening every 3-5 minutes and then my chest, feet, and armpits started burning. I started having a panic attack because I was so afraid of what was happening. I couldn't see right anymore and I was very dizzy. On the way to the hospital I thought I was going to die. My side effects were so severe. This happened for two days after. Doc flushed it out of my system. Beware of this medication"

KKCCC (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I had been taking Sertraline for anxiety. Started on paroxetine for the hot flashes as the recommendation of my doctor. Hot flashes reduced significantly, but an occasional hot flash wasn't as bad. BUT, then I started having what I would call side effects: itching on my scalp, my underarms, eye brows and other warmer, damper areas. I went from fanning myself to scratching. Not attractive. I tried weaning myself from paroxetine and the itching subsided, but now the hot flashes are returning.My libido went from poor to nothing on this medication. I didn't think much about the brain fog and zaps until I read this blog. Since being off of it completely, my emotions are out of control (crying, anxiety..) Don't think this is for me."

Improved menopause symptoms (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "3 weeks into taking Brisdelle I stopped. After a week I was experiencing horrific muscle pain in my legs which kept me awake for three nights until I was prescribed a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. The anti-inflammatory calmed the muscle pain down but then I started experiencing horrific head pain and headaches; I've never had a headache in my life! I am off this drug for two days now and can't wait to feel like myself again. I'm still experiencing insomnia, headache, head pain, vertigo."

LoriSt November 20, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on Paxil for about two months. The first two weeks I was on 10mg, and I could feel a big change. My pupils would dilate huge, which I read was because my brain was finally being flooded with serotonin. I actually would relate the side effects I felt as similar to MDMA (I spent from 19-23 as an avid drug user..have been clean now for 4 years). I felt awesome, but it didn't last. Two weeks in, my doctor increased my dose to 20mg. Since the increase, the "good feeling" has kind of went away. I feel how I did before I started Paxil, PLUS it's hard to think clearly&feels like something is pressing on my chest at night. I have absolutely no sex drive and have lost more than 20lbs due to not eating. It's done nothing for my anxiety yet."

KayleighFGG (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015