User Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 7)

Bystolic Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic

DB111 April 26, 2010

“So far so good. Switched from Atenolol and I love this new drug. It keeps my blood pressure low, appetite way down and no more needed naps. Life is good again.”

Anonymous April 19, 2010

“I have been taking Bystolic for a month and a half now. My blood pressure topped out at 214/122 while I was pregnant, and after many tests, I was diagnosed with chronic hypertension. I was switched around a lot but nothing worked for me until my doctor put me on Valturna and Bystolic. Bystolic works well for bringing down diastolic pressure, which seems to be my problem. I started on 40 mg/day and am down to 20 mg/day. I'm bottoming out so I'm sure he'll be lowering my dose again. It does make you tired at first but people should wait it out. The effects of this medicine can take 2 to 4 weeks to fully work. I'm no longer tired and my blood pressure is significantly lower and safe now.”

Anonymous March 27, 2010

“I've been on Norvasc for about 15 years after after being tried on almost every blood pressure medication. It has been the only medication successful at keeping my blood pressure in normal range. In January of 2009 I was hospitalized in a thyroid storm. A thyroid storm affects every system in your body and you feel like you are near death. I was placed on Bystolic to control my heart rate 120 -200 bpm, palpitations and shortness of breath. I could only tolerate 5mg due to severe drops in my pulse rate 40 - 42 bpm. I stayed on Bystolic and Norvasc until February of 2010. I was then instructed to slowly taper off the Bystolic since the thyroid condition was resolved. I was unsuccessful in tapering off Bystolic without arrhythmias.”

so what March 15, 2010

“My blood pressure went up after I start taking Bystolic.”

fwj March 8, 2010

“I have been on it for a week. Presure went up to 160/100, have diarrhea and stomach does not feel good. Will be calling the doctor.”

dawgienut1 February 12, 2010

“I am an almost 77 year old lady and being treated for artial fribrillation and hypertension. Bystolic has effectively controlled my high pulse rate and lowered my blood pressure but it makes me terribly tired. I think I will try taking the medicines at night in hope that I can sleep the tiredness off. I was so interested in the weight gain comments. Now I have something to blame those extra pounds on!”

mary c h. February 6, 2010

“I'm a 53 year old female having problems with my blood pressure and my doctor had me try the Bystolic. 5mg was to much so tried 2.5mg and has worked for me still today. Have had more energy, and have lost some weight. Also have been going through menopause now, this has helped me with the control of my blood pressure.”

Anonymous January 27, 2010

“Bystolic is the best for heart rate control, and very effective for my high blood pressure. It's great to have a medication with no negative effects on sexual function. I'm happy and so is my wife....”

Anonymous January 18, 2010

“I am 58 y/o in overall good health, exercise and have a good diet, but noticed over the years my b/p goes up with stress. I also have "white coat syndrome" which means it is always high in the doctor's office, even though when I would check it at home it would vary considerably depending on the stress level, sometimes normal and sometimes quite high. Several years ago my Doctor put me on Toprol which really did not help much. He then added Cozaar 50mg which helped somewhat to bring the readings down from "High" (160-170 in the Doctor's office) to "Borderline High" (140ish). Then about a year ago he substituted Bystolic 5mg for the Toprol and I began to achieve readings, even in the doctors office, of 120-130/70-80, and even better at home.”

judiedlv December 30, 2009

“Have suffered from very labile bp for over 45 years. In spite of renal stent 2 years ago, bp occcasionally hits 210/ 110 in the evening. Had to stop Avapro because of dizziness, and sleepiness (was taking it in combo with Norvasc and Cardura) the problem has persisted. Just started Bystolic 10 days ago and most of the time my bp is good BUT night time highs still occur. When they do I use Nitrostat to bring it down. I'm taking 10 mg of Bystolic in the morning and 2 mg of Cardura in the evening, however am still suffering the same dizziness and sleepiness as I did with Avapro. My doctor wants me to reverse and take the Bystolic in the evening (to sleep off the side effects) and the Cardura in the morning. I'm getting discouraged!”

ewhitley December 27, 2009

“The bystolic did lower my b/p but I have had a 30 lb weight gain that has been deemed "metabolic syndrome" by my physician. He did a complete blood panel. My HDL is lower than it has been in 15 years, I have no thyroid problems. According to him the only thing it could be is the medication has slowed my heart rate 20 beats at resting. I walk nearly 2 miles everyday up and down hill on the family farm I can barely get a 120 heart rate. My legs and butt look great my upper abdominal and thoracic area has increased by 10 inches. I had never had fat in the thoracic area until I started this medication. Upon reading the hypoglycemic side effect and the warning about multiple severe allergy "anaphylaxis" treatment I don't know why my MD recommended it.”

advise December 6, 2009

“I understand this medicine is relatively new and very expensive. Not covered in some cases. While I have been on it only 3 weeks, I experience insomnia. Have to take Tylenol PM. Feeling cold all the time. Cramps have increased in leg, knees and hand mostly at night. Unable to walk as much without muscle pains. Take 5mg daily. Hope this helps.”

bamaholly November 19, 2009

“43rd birthday - with no past history blood pressure went to 180/100. I consider myself generally healthy. Headache in the left temple for about a week and finally went to the doctor. He put me on 10mg Bystolic and now I feel better than ever. No side effects, with more energy and calmer feeling. Blood Pressure now averages 120/65. I know medicines don't work the same for everyone but I would recommend it for anyone to at least give it a try.”

CarrickShannon November 16, 2009

“I am a 57 yr old female who had a heart attack and a stent put in. I was prescribed Bystolic along with Norvasc to treat my hypertension. I didn't feel too bad at first, but after about a month on Bystolic (which my insurance won't pay for, nor does my local hospital have it to give to me when I am admitted). I had dizziness, low heart rate (41)and feeling like I was going to faint. I am uncomfortable taking this drug as the above mentioned symptoms caused me to be hospitalized 3x since the heart attack, and even had to have another cath to check the stent (which was fine). I will say it did keep my blood pressure low but the side effects hinder my quality of life.”

Anonymous November 14, 2009

“Like the medicine but noted increased edema swelling in feet and legs and tiredness.”

Anonymous November 7, 2009

“I take Bystolic 10mg for high blood pressure and high heart rate. It controls my blood pressure wonderfully but doesn't help my heart rate nearly as well, tends to wear off after about 6 hrs. Also experience some stomach upset but no other side effects.”

pooch November 6, 2009

“I am a 61 yr old female who has had High Blood pressure problems for years. It is a family thing...recently my doctor put me on Bystolic after dealing with a BP of 189/108 and heart rate of 100-110 for two months. Within a day or so, my BP was down to 110/69 and heart rate at 68. I feel so much better since being switched from an ace inhibitor to a beta blocker that I can't believe it. This medicine also helps with the fact that I have a static blood pressure due to my deep vein insufficiency. I have had no side effects and feel so much better! Thanks for making this medicine!”

Anonymous October 11, 2009

“44 year old male - blood pressure at doctor's office 167 over 110. Started taking 5mg bystolic every morning for about 1 week so far. First morning chest did not feel tight, by second day had a lot more energy. Now blood pressure is steady at 128 over 85. Feel a lot better.”

JJLAMP October 4, 2009

“I am presently taking Ziac (beta blocker with dyazide) for High Blood Pressure. Was going to try this but decided after reading reviews to stick to what I am on and try to lose weight. They all have side effects - I have gone through 10 drugs- been on this 10 years. Good luck to all.”

the world is flat September 28, 2009

“I'm a 29 yr old male, had a stress related heart attack, and yes it was confirmed. I tried atenolol, and a couple of others with no success, finally about the end of 2007 my doctor gave me a sample of bystolic and it was obvious that it was different and it worked. No more Atrial Fibrillation or irregular heart beat. I can't say much about my blood pressure but "I can honestly say that I live by it". Talk to your doctor if you don't like the beta blocker you are on and see if he has any samples.”

Anonymous September 3, 2009

“I'm a 48 year female with hypertension in the 160/95 - 190/100 range. I am sensitive to a lot of medicines. The 5 mg of Bystolic fluctuated my Blood Pressure from 113/60 to 190/100 and it was never constant. My heart rate also slowed to 42. I had to pretty much drop my exercise routine due to the unpredictability. I also had bouts of confusion, generally feeling removed from the things around, almost a surreal feeling. After almost 3 weeks of it I am going off of it. I can barely function in my job. I was switched to Tekturna today and hope that the side effects are reduced and that I can function clear headed again. It may be great for others but not for me.”

bamboojessa August 31, 2009

“Works good, nothing negative to say.”

Firerunner July 29, 2009

“I am a 43 year old, female, 5'7", 130. Been on Bystolic for about a month. BP went from 160/113 down to 93/58 in about 2 hours in the doctors office. Went to doctor due to dizziness and ended up with high blood pressure. Naggy little headache, but I also had oral surgery in the last month, so not sure which one it could be. I walk everyday for 70 minutes 14 miles. No side effects so far.”

ksmetz July 23, 2009

“I have been on Bystolic for about 10 months now. I have been on 15 different blood pressure medicines because I am allergic to everything under the sun. I can tolerate this medicine and it is great at keeping my blood pressure down to 123/80 but it slows my heart rate way down and my body does not tolerate that well. After taking it for a while and now exercising by walking every other day I have had to decrease the amount of it I take because my blood pressure went down to 93/50. It also gives me awful headaches and causes balance problems for me. I guess I have to tolerate the side effects because I have had so much trouble taking other medicines. ”

I. OBrien July 23, 2009

“This medicine does an excellent job of lowering blood pressure but does a poor job of lowering pulse rate trying to lower atrial fibrillation.”