User Reviews for Montelukast (Page 9)

Also known as: Singulair

Asthma 5.2
Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.4 415 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

Steveso May 5, 2017

For Asthma: “I've been taking montelukast for about a month for asthma and it hasn't changed a thing!”

Marsol May 4, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: “Now 67 years, my health plan only permits generic montelukast medication (generic singulair). I had a very bad experience with this medication. Suffered insomnia, anxiety, and being with insomnia all night went into a deep sleep. When my daughter arrived had a memory lapse and being questioned by my daughter was giving incoherent replies. After being questioned for a while I regained conciousness of my daily routine. I imagine I had a blackout experience. Now I'm trying to get original singulair since I did use it before when I was younger and had none of this experience. I did quit taking this generic form montelukast medication since the next day after quitting I slept very well. Will try to purchase singulair in it's original form.”

DDWDG May 2, 2017

For Asthma: “I have had asthma for 40 plus years, which became progressively worse until I was having an asthma attack every day and using at least one salbutamol inhaler every week. My preventative meds were 1000mg beclamethasone and 100mg of salmeterol per day. I had broken sleep every night, waking to use my inhaler. My Doctor prescribed Montelukast and from the first night my asthma was almost entirely gone. Ten years on I very rarely use my reliever, at most three to four times a year!!! It has been a miracle drug to me, the only down side is that I believe my temper is probably worse. Not terrible but a much shorter fuse and more explosive.”

Ptrk333 May 2, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Had severe allergies causing laryngitis. Lost my voice for 13 days. Went to urgent care and was told to take Zyrtec and Flonase. The day after visiting urgent care I was experiencing severe eye pain and could not open my right eye. I then went to emergency department. ER doctor told me it was severe case of allergies and prescribed ketorolac for my eyes. Three days later seen my PCP and she prescribed singulair and told me to take it in evening. Within two hours my voice came back. I am so impressed with this medication. No side effects noticed.”

Sherrysue · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Was given this drug by my PCP because he thought my "cold" was allergies related. Took the first one and didn't feel great but then again. I wasn't feeling well anyway. Next day I took the second pill and within 10 minutes thought I was having a heart attack. The chest pains were terrible and I knew it was from this drug. I am super sensitive to many drugs.”

Crystal_Rebecca · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Do not take this. Research this drug before giving it to your child. It has been known to cause neuropsychiatric episodes when taking it. It is a very dangerous drug and I would NOT recommend this to anyone, at any age.”

Miker777 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 2, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “Caused severe anger and self control issues in my son.”

WATCH FOR PSYCHIATRIC EFFECTS! · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 28, 2017

For Asthma: “My daughter has taken this for about 8 years. She's always seemed to have extreme emotional reactions to the smallest things. I asked her doctor multiple times if it might be the montelukast she takes causing this. Dr. said "no, reported side effects just happen when the child starts taking it. Must just be her personality". I know what is normal and her reactions were extreme. Everything came to a head this past winter when she started having obsessions about eternity. We took her off the montelukast. About 2 weeks later she had a psychotic break. She was crying all day saying she didn't want to exist. It has taken 2 months to get her back to semi-normal. This drug is not good for children!!! Her experience is not unusual!”

Adrmoy March 28, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “This was prescribed to my 5 year old for his allergies. It worked wonderfully (2 weeks) until this week. He started complaining of leg and stomach pains, then the diarrhea. We are on day 3 of the diarrhea and he just can't handle anymore. At first I thought it was just bad luck until a little research and reading these post. He will be stopping the medication.”

Fionajames March 26, 2017

For Asthma: “I'm a 34 year old who has had asthma for years. Over the past 12 mths my asthma has become increasingly difficult to manage, and was severely impacting my sleep and my day to day life. As a result doctor has been trying some new medication. After just a couple days on 10mg of this medication my asthma had significantly improved. Then the side effects started. I lost hearing in my ear and had loud ringing in my ear. I was sleeping non stop, couldn't concentrate or retain information and was suffering from terrible anxiety which I have never experienced in my life. I felt like all I wanted to do was sleep and never wake up. I have never felt so awful in my life. I stopped the medication that night and immediately felt 100% back to normal.”

Sir Tin · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 23, 2017

For COPD: “I've had COPD for several years and was prescribed Singular (montelukast) to prevent sleep time exacerbation's. I mean severe too! One night when in the hospital, boom! It hit me and I was even on oxygen. Well, since taking montelukast, even as the generic of Singular (as some may agree, generics often don't have the same effect as brand names), I have had no night time problems.”

l2t233 · Taken for 10 years or more March 5, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I was started on it after the first acute sudden asthma attack of my life and the inhalers weren't working... which landed me in the emergency room and had some continuing lung spasms in the weeks following this. Once on it, for the first time in many years I was no longer waking up wheezing and with shortness of breath at night. It's been wonderful! Fortunately, I have never had any of the side effects noted by others. I remember feeling early on that singulair may have contributed to weight gain, but it was very hard to tell as I was at that age - late 40s - when this begins to happen naturally. If so, I certainly would have preferred to not to gain weight, but the benefits of having a "normal" life with singulair have been fantastic”

vinamar March 1, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I had severe allergies and could barely breathe and had to sit up while sleeping since it was so bad trying to breathe while laying on my side while sleeping. I was prescribed this medicine and the doctor told me that I would know within 15 minutes or so whether it was going to work or not. I was totally surprised how fast my allergies went away. My breathing became normal and stopped the sneezing. I researched this medicine after taking it and was surprised about the side effects but so far not a single side effect. I am a totally satisfied customer.”

gadfly · Taken for 10 years or more February 28, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been taking singulair on and off for years. In the last two years I have had 4 severe asthma attacks and the singulair has not helped. It may have helped my allergic rhinitis. But it does not help my asthma. I will probably stop it.”

AsthmaMom7788 February 23, 2017

For Asthma: “Hysterical crying bouts in my 6 year old son on just the second night of taking it. He woke and came to the side of my bed in almost a dazed state, crying and whimpering, when questioned he couldn't even speak! Didn't realize how awful this drug was untilI did the research. It causes childhood depression, nightmares, hallucinations.”

Neednewlungs February 20, 2017

For Asthma: “Soooo I started taking singulair montelukast for about a month now. It's been helping my asthma a lot but I've been having horrible depression. I'm very angry most of the time. Everything and anything anyone says will make me irate. I've been having suicidal thoughts. Honestly I rather cough up a lung than be crazy because of this medicine”

Turn2Jesus · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 19, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Allergy testing came back negative but when I kept having cold weather induced asthma my doctor wanted me to try this. I'm already on symbicort & was doing good except cold weather. Well, the montelukestat helped it completely. We had a very cold winter this year & I was totally fine outdoors. Also I don't have any of the side effects some people mentioned, I feel great!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!”

Billyvannuys · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2017

For Asthma: “Taking for only a week or so for severe allergies/asthma. I am going to stop taking it and see how I feel because this medicine gives me a funny taste in my mouth and all food and drinks (except chocolate) taste weird to me.”

77 terry January 30, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “Asthma all my life (40 yrs old) but wanted to cut down / get off the steroid inhaler (Symbicourt) as it does lead to weight gain / hunger pangs and bloating of face. Offered Singulair - Took one tablet in the daytime - Wrong thing to do !! Completely sedated feeling. Made a call to continue taking the following treatment : 1. Symbicourt in the morning (Symbicourt users will concede it's like drinking 10 Cups of Coffee) 2. Take a half of Singulair before bed (I have the best nights sleep every night due to its mildly sedative effect). Best of both worlds.. I have never had broken sleep for 40 years.. once I started with Singular I sleep like a baby and wake up completely refreshed.”

Satisfied Customer January 18, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I use to get Singulair thru medicaid/medicare but it's no longer available thru that source. I would have to pay which I can't afford to do. However I am a satisfied x -customer and that is the best medicine I have ever taken for my allergy problem. It eliminated my use of my rescue inhaler daily as in the past. I noticed that I could go a few days or weeks even months without even taking the Singulair most of the time. Singulair helped very well to keep my allergy symptoms away and at bay. I now take a generic brand and it is not the same and I still have to use my rescue inhaler more than I did when I used Singulair. I would recommend Singulair to anyone.”

Lpit180 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 16, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been on this for several years now and it helps to keep attacks down significantly. I can breathe so much better and it seems to help knock down allergic reaction to many things for me.”

Su_88 December 26, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been suffering from asthma since the age of 7 and I was recently prescribed montelukast sodium after a bad chest infection which had me hospitalised. I have taken it previously about two years back as well. However since I began taking it this time I noticed I can't fall asleep, I'm badly constipated and extremely lethargic, depressed, irritable and get angered really quick. No medicine is worth feeling this way and I'm stopping this immediately. If a simple drug manifests such tangible changes in your body, imagine what it does to your body silently.”

Asthmagirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 14, 2016

For Asthma: “I have had asthma every since I was born, montelukast helps me breath every day if I don't take it I can't breath but it causes me severe stomach pains, sometimes anxiety, depression, red blotches one my face, I get the sweats and nausea. These are some of the long-term affects I suffer with I would not suggest taking it eternally”

Fearful mum December 13, 2016

For Asthma: “This medication is poison. I don't recommend. My 5 year old was on this for 3 months when I've notice her behaviour changed, a bubbly happy and active child, had turned into a sad, tearful, tired and unhappy child with every little thing making her angry and depressed. I urge anyone who's taking or is thinking of giving this to their child, as soon as u see the littlest of change stop!! It can really affect you or your child's life. If only I had researched or my child's dr had advised me well instead of brushing my worries under the table, I would have never given this to her.”