User Reviews for Montelukast (Page 8)

Also known as: Singulair

Allergic Rhinitis 5.1
Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.4 419 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

April Ross September 7, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I have used this drug for over 15 years. I have asthma triggered by inhalants and the original version has totally controlled my symptoms. I used the generic when it came out because of cost. I started having mild asthma symptoms within a few days. When my local Target switched to another generic I developed hypersensitivity pneumonitis which was diagnosed after over $20,000 in lab work and a bronchoscopy. Back on original singulair..and no problem again. It really controls my asthma and allergic reactions.”

Em0617 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 5, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: “Singulair has been a godsend to help control my daily asthma symptoms due to allergenic/mold triggers. I haven't noticed it make a difference with exercise or smoke triggers, but it definitely helps reduce frequency/severity of asthma symptoms in general. If I take a few days to pick up my prescription, I can absolutely feel a difference in my lung health. I've been waiting the past few days to get the entire prescription renewed with my doctor and I had a nighttime attack last night for the first time since I started taking the medicine (it's been six days since I last took it). I have not experienced any mood changes even though I already had diagnosed anxiety when I started the medication or any other adverse side effects.”

KyoZero · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Finally, finally, finally! I was originally given this for COPD and asthma so you might be wondering why I am writing this under allergic rhinitis. 24 hours after the first dose and ever since, my nose and sinuses are clear for the first time in literally my entire adolescent and adult life. I can sleep, breathe, and it has greatly helped asthma! Not a single side effect to be found.”

Ash109010 August 8, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “Started taking generic Singulair on 7/26/17 by 8/02/17 I started having vivid dreams only at bedtime and every night until today when I called my doctor and got the medication changed. For just under a week every single night I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming. The first night it happened I was cuddled up with my husband sleeping on his chest and I woke myself up snoring when I apologized to my husband for snoring so loud he said I wasn't snoring. I fell asleep again within ten minutes and thought I was still awake and I swore I saw a spider on the sheets by my face on my husband. I jumped up yelling spider woke myself up and freaked out my husband because there was no spider, I had dreamt the whole thing. It only got worse”

Nickinomore · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I took singulair for the 1st time last night and have been awake ever since. I also notice out of the blue I started crying. I know it was the medicine because before taking it I slept well for the most part. This morning I got up and reread the possible side affects and last night will be my 1st and last time taking singulair. The sad part is I have to go to work n all I wanna do is sleep ”

Ready to breath again · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I've been on this now for the past 4 months as treatment for chronic sinusitis. The beginning was fine and seemed to be helpful. I am now being treated for pharyngitis for the past 4 months. Have even been rushed to hospital unable to breathe. I stopped taking it yesterday now I have to wait out the side effects to wear off so I can feel better and breathe again. How long do the side effects stay with you?”

Kelsisms August 3, 2017

For Asthma: “I give this half a rating. I have chronic asthma and after nearly dying from an asthma attack I was prescribed Singulair along with Symbicort. This medication has absolutely helped me. I've been on it for over 3 months now. It really does help reverse the effects of asthma. Unfortunately it gives me some of the worst anxiety I have ever experienced. I tried taking it in the morning but the entire day I would feel unbelievably anxious. If I take it before bed I have the worst most vivid nightmares. This medication effects everyone differently of course, my only advice is to try it out for yourself.”

It works · Taken for 10 years or more July 26, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I have been using this medication for 18 years now. It has proven to be very helpful as I have pretty bad asthma. Always come back to singulair after trying something new. Great maintenance drug.”

Sherie00 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 24, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Asthma Doctor prescribed montelukast three years ago. My cough was so bad I couldn't get my breath. My husband finally went to another bedroom in our house due to lack of sleep because of my coughing. Three months later I forgot to take my nighttime med (montelukast). My usual morning coughing and hocking didn't happen. Hubby noticed right away and asked what I did different. I said I forgot to take my montelukast at night. So I didn't take it the next five nights and no cough or hocking. It seems the post nasal drip stopped. I have been cough free for four weeks. A whole new life!”

Sophie N July 21, 2017

For Asthma: “I was taking Montelukast for a few months, at first it worked a treat but then I noticed my asthma symptoms got worse than ever (I constantly needed my blue inhaler) and my allergy symptoms were terrible (extremely stuffy nose all the time)! I stopped taking Montelukast on my own accord and everything has cleared up and my asthma symptoms have disappeared. My Asthma nurse strongly recommends I continue to take Montelukast but I feel I'm better off without it.”

Moma 1 · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I have tried it several times in the past but have the same results. It does not control the steady flow of post nasal drip causing me to feel nauseated. I have better results taking 4 hour generic Benadryl.”

ParamedicGirl911 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have been on this medicine since early Spring, so probably about 4 months straight now, for my severe allergies and it has helped with them. However, I have noticed some major mood swings and depression. I started getting dark thoughts (regarding only myself), and I will sit in a ball and cry for hours and worry about the dumbest things. It's been giving me anxiety attacks which I have never had before. It is HORRIBLE. I am glad that I am not going crazy. I see that unfortunately other people are reacting the same way. Last night was my last time taking the med. I hope it gets out of my body FAST!!!! Don't take this medicine!!”

EBAguilar · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “My 2-1/2 year old daughter was prescribed this toxic drug. After the seventeenth day we stopped giving it to her because it caused Autism-like symptoms, huge decrease in talking, and an increase in agitation, aggressiveness, isolation, repetitive movements and tics, swollen tongue, numbness in one foot, lack of appetite, clumsiness, self-harming behavior, and what appears to be hallucinations. Today is her third day off it and all the side-effects have worsened. She turns to a page in one of her books (God Made Me Special) where it mentions that "Sometimes I feel down, sometimes I feel blue, don't like something about me, it's sad but it's true..." and she says "down". This drug should be banned everywhere.”

MMarti2 July 2, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I took this medicine years ago for full body hives brought on from a virus. I had never experienced anything like this. Nothing would take away the hives for weeks and an allergist recommended this along with Xyzal and Ranitidine BID and my rash cleared. Three days ago I received the Varicella vaccine and I blew up into unbearably itchy full body hives. I went to the ER and was given methylprednisolone and within three hours the hives were back. I asked the Dr to prescribe me the same medicines my allergist recommended years ago. I took my first dose of this medicine and within an hour it was 75% gone. It is a miracle drug for allergies/hives. I suffer from GAD with panic attacks and have experienced no anxiety, it actually calmed me down.”

C-Rabbit June 29, 2017

For Asthma: “Perscibed this to help with asthma flaring up at night, but now I use it to control my exercise-induced asthma. Take this 2 hours before exercise, it's like magic. Now I walk, jog, even run 2+ miles a day, and for someone who couldn't even walk for an extended time without their asthma flaring, that's a big deal. When I took this near bedtime, and only near bedtime, I experienced weird/vivd dreams. I actually enjoyed it, but the experience may be much more scary for others, beware taking near bedtime if you're concerned. Also, I've been feeling depressed and irritated often. I've had dark thoughts, I'm not sure it's from Montelukast or from outside factors. I've had these feelings before taking it, it's just more often now.”

Little Pink · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2017

For Asthma: “My little son took that POISON for less than 2 weeks two years ago. He is still suffering with bad side effects like tics, anxiety, anger, sensitivity to light, symptoms of autism sometimes, feeling tired, changes of mood and behavior problems. :( It is devastating. I am sorry for all the kids who took it or are taking that drug and I am also sorry for their families.”

Sheik Yerbuti · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I'm not noticing anything different since taking Singulair a month ago. I still have to use my inhaler 6-8 times a day. (the good part is, I'm not noticing any side effects, either--it's as if I'm taking a placebo)”

Kurt Homey June 19, 2017

For Asthma: “I had my first asthma attack when I was 30 (13 years ago) and each year it got worse to the point where I would have 6 attacks a day and my puffers would not work. I took this drug and my attacks do not exist anymore. I am an avid athlete and I am no longer hindered. Back in February I struggled to get my breathe and I was on my way to the Emergency, that is when I got this pill prescribed to me and it has been a God send! I don't have the sleep issues others have mentioned here, I never really slept the best to start with, but no changes. No crazy dreams. I never been more pleased.”

Lou ann1 June 19, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “It worked very well for asthma symptoms. Greatly reduced lung inflammation. It takes quite a few weeks to reach max effectiveness. But gave me joint aches, muscle aches and all over malaise. This is listed as an uncommon side effect so it may not affect most.”

I can't find a nickname June 14, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Hello , I'm an 19 y/o and I've been on this medication for almost 2 months now. Since I've taken it I have extreme nightmares and weird sleeping patterns, all this time I've thought that it was helping me but in reality it has broken my life into piece. I'm can't sleep on a normal pattern and having lack off sleep which has caused me to become irritable and not have a clear train of thought. If yourself or anyone you know is taking this medication PLEASE monitor their behavior and sleep pattern.”

Os5999 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Spent the almost the full month on montelukast. Thought it was working ok, felt some sleepiness but was told that was normal. By the middle of the month I had experienced almost daily panics attacks and mood swings. By the end of the month depression arrived which got even darker. Felt like myself again about 3 days after stopping the dose. Anyone prescribed this should be aware of this possibility before they start, not by finding help online like I did. It can be helpful, but in my case was completely not worth it”

Montelukast June 8, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I was on the brand Singular 10mg for a month. It was helping and everything was fine with no side effects. I ordered a refill and I got the generic. I took it for 4 days. Since day 1 I was feeling bit weak, I thought it might just be a bad day. Then on day 2 it started increasing. I took the pill for 4 days and then stopped it. I had really bad anxiety and am not able to concentrate. Have a lot of bilateral head pressure and brain fog. My doctor while prescribing this medicine did not tell me any of this side effects. I have decided to do a research on a drug before taking it. This is a clear case where doctor is not aware about the side effects. 2 days off, still have anxiety and brain fog.”

Noo noo · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I can't understand how I have woken every night for the last 4 nights At around 3-4am and cannot get back to sleep again!!! it has been driving me mad !!! Then when I put 2 & 2 together I realised I started montelukast 4 nights ago! Also have very swollen ankles and huge appetite! Not taking the medication tonight as not worth it unfortunately”

sunshine girl001 May 21, 2017

For Asthma: “I have asthma and especially exercise-induced asthma, making it hard to run or do other high intensity sports. This works like a CHARM to shut off my asthma, and exercise-induced asthma, and also resolves allergies. However, it does seem to give me crazy dreams, makes me sleep in more than I normally would, and seems to increase my preexisting anxiety (but since I know this anxiety might be due to the medication, I am fairly capable of reminding myself that it's not real, and moving on). I only take it when I really need it, because of these side effects. As an adult I feel I can manage the side effects, but I'm not sure if it would work for kids. This drug has been absolutely life-changing and essential for me in controlling my asthma!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I was put on this drug for Asthma control (coughing up clear jelly type mucus from all my inhaler use) and allergies as I kept getting chest infections and sinusitis as well as bad asthma symptoms which I've had all my life. My inhalers were no longer working sufficiently so a doctor at the hospital prescribed me this drug. I can say that I felt a difference very quickly and have never been able to breath so well. It has made such a difference to my daily life. I have only taken my blue inhalers once since on it and I don't feel so out of breath in the cold and when doing exercise anymore. It has definitely helped with my allergies too. Life changer for me! I haven't been on it long enough to advise any side effects but so far so good.”