User Reviews for Montelukast (Page 7)

Also known as: Singulair

Allergic Rhinitis 5.1
Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.4 420 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

Joe P March 14, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I've been having a respiratory infection for about 3 months with tons of phlegm every single day and asthma on top of it. My doctor prescribed antibiotics - they didn't do anything then finally I was prescribed the Singulair. After the first pill I noticed that I got much more infection symptoms my phlegm turn back to yellow and I started getting burning in my belly liver pain throbbing headache and neck ache. After the second pill I woke up at 4 a.m. with 104° fever and I was freezing so much that my teeth were chattering and my liver pain was off the charts I stopped taking it immediately but the fever lasted for another 3 days and caught the flu. I would not recommend this drug for anybody that has any type of infection because it will stop your own immune system from fighting the infection and your infection symptoms will get way worse.”

Youmu · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2018

For Asthma: “After several months of needing a rescue inhaler every night, I asked to be put on this drug instead of an inhaler because younger me was afraid of inhaler side effects. This was a horrible choice. I started getting thoughts of death on an almost daily basis for about a year before I tried stopping the montelukast. Within six months I was feeling much better. Granted, I've had depression in the past, but I do feel like this medication has something to do with this episode. It never really worked for me, so going off if wasn't a huge loss. I'm on Advair 500/50 now and it's worked beautifully for me; I only have to use my albuterol once or twice a night per week now!”

Marciels · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 12, 2018

For Asthma: “I developed pychosis three weeks in taking this combined with certirizine. Overall, I've been on and off the montelukast for about a year. I wanted to take naps, a lot. Everything centered around energy and not having it, no matter what. I would go to the gym feeling weak, and both the weakness and fatigue have affected my progress. On and off this medicine because I'm trying to go without it and replace it with natural supplements.”

Jay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 24, 2018

For COPD: “Great improvement in my COPD. Currently using Dulera 2 puffs 2 times a day. Now down to 1 puff 2 times. Day. Many more COPD patients should be on this drug.”

Holcombe February 14, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been taking Singular for many years (around 15 years). When I first started taking it, the Singular worked great. It was not a generic and I was able to get off steroids by taking it. Within the past 3 months when I started taking one of the new generics, made by Camber Pharmaceutical and my wheezing and coughing started again. This new generic does not work. I found a bottle with about ten of the other Singular and started taking them and they worked. I tried again to take the new ones and started wheezing and coughing again.”

Cyndirella February 10, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I used to take two Benadryl every night just to breath at night. I decided to go ahead and see an allergist to get allergy shots. She gave me a script for Singulair. It really, really works! I have been taking it for over two months now and I am thrilled. I quit buying 100 capsule bottles of Benadryl just to breathe at night. I have not had any side effects. I don't wake up nauseous and I don't go through a million tissues anymore. I have just started my shots, three shots twice a week (6 shots a week). I have heard Singulair doesn't work for everyone. My allergist said it works best for patients with severe allergies and not as well for those with mild allergies. I am hoping my body doesn't get used to the Singulair and it becomes less effective like it did with all the other prescription allergy medicines. Time will tell! ”

MLT72 February 10, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I've been taking Singulair 10 mg for over 3 years now. It always seemed to control all my allergy symptoms with no problems. However, in the past 6 months, I have post nasal drip and a dry, hacking chronic cough that sometimes makes me throw-up from coughing so hard. I at first thought I had a food allergy, but I have crossed that off my list after weeks of writing down everything I ate, and the symptoms did not disappear. I have finally come to the conclusion that my cough is caused by the Singulair. I started taking one every other day, and on the days I did NOT take it, my cough subsided. When I took the pill, the cough returned. This isn't just an annoying cough. This is the kind of cough that got me sent home from work many times! Aside from the embarrassment of uncontrollable coughing, my sleep has lacked and my social life has dwindled down to nothing! Several doctors appointments later, after being told to stick with the Singulair, I will NEVER take it again!”

Jen951 February 8, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Horrible side effects. I put my 5 yr old on this and she started having anger issues and anxiety. After several months she started having tics that became severe to the point I thought she was developing Tourette’s syndrome. After research I found this happening to thousands of other children. I immediately took her off this medication and just pray that the tics go away. I’ve heard with some kids they never did. Just awful, I was never warned about the tics just the anger.”

Betty lucchio. February 2, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have seasonal allergies. I have allergic rhinitis. I was blowing out yellow and coughing up yellow for 2 months. And chest congestion. I take it everyday at 6 pm. I noticed a big difference. I got relief. This medicine helped me so much. I am very grateful toward my doctor. It really worked for me. I got lucky. Elizabeth lucchio.”

Asthmatic4Life · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2018

For Asthma: “I have to say thay, if it weren't for the side effects. I'd love this drug. This is my second time trying it, and I love how it helped my asthma. I could breathe so much better while taking it. However both times I've attempted to take this medication. I've gone on the brink of psychosis. And I don't think I've ever truly recovered. Quick to snap. Super angry. I tasted metal and the first time I took it. I couldn't leave my bed I was so anxious. I wish this medication was for me. But I can't risk losing control like that. Remember not everyone reacts the same. So don't go in fearful. Go in hopeful, with the knowledge that hear could happen. But don't mean they will.”

Lanne9 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Symptom: Blurred Vision. I was prescribed Singular for Asthma, it was very helpful - my lung capacity was improved as well. But I am suffering with a major side effect. I cannot read for more than 5 minutes as my central vision becomes very blurred. I am an artist and a writer so you can imagine how distraught I was. I consulted with my eye doctor 4 times concerning this problem and was referred to a specialist – they could not determine what was causing my blurred vision. Having read something on the internet about vision problems occurring with the generic version of Singular, I reduced my dosage by 50 percent then to 25 percent over a week’s time. My vision problems have decreased dramatically.”

Brain working wrong January 21, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Well 3 or 4 months ago I started taking this drug for my allergies which were pretty bad for I work in a steel mill and moved to a new part of the country that I wasn't used to the pollen in the air. Well this drug cleared my allergies it was so nice. But then my memory recall started getting bad and I had a hard time finding words and it kept getting worse and worse started having really weird nightmares and just found out that it was this drug that was causing it. I'm 48 and I truly thought I was going to have to quit working and collect disability that's how bad my memory recall was getting. It really scared the bejesus out of me......”

ryanryanryan January 7, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “horrible anxiety, depression, and drowsiness. It was worst 7 months of my life”

Tiia December 27, 2017

For Asthma: “It made me anxious as hell.”

GailAG December 24, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “This drug did nothing for my stuffy nose, cold and cough and wheezing but side effects are horrible. After less than a week of taking it I could not sleep, was unable to focus, had a panic attack at the grocery store with sweating and dizziness, felt like I was going to faint, was very tired and achy. I did not connect it to the drug at first but then I went to take it and it dawned on me that maybe I should check out the side effects. These are all side effects of the medication. I had lost my mother about a month ago and I kept thinking I was just not coping well but once I stopped taking the medication, I was able to sleep and the sweating and dizziness went away. My aches are much less as well.”

cvdixon29 · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 22, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Works very well at controlling my asthma. I've been on this medication well over 10 years. I currently take the generic version. I don't notice any difference except in price, it's much cheaper! I'm very happy with how well This medication has performed.”

DJSmysteron November 17, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I was prescribed Montelukast (10mg to be taken at night) to treat chronic rhinitis. I am a generally quite an anxious person and have been treated occasionally for mild anxiety related depression over the past 15 years but not for the past 2 years. I have been taking Montelukast for 9 days now - I had very vivid unpleasant dreams for 3 nights followed by a couple of nights when I slept well but awoke feeling like I had slept badly. The last 4 nights have been fine and I feel back to normal. My rhinitis has eased significantly too. I like this drug.”

Judy5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2017

For Asthma: “When my asthma drug was discontinued, I started taking Montelukast with horrible side effects! For a week or so, the asthma improved and I was very happy, but then I slowly developed some type of breathing problem unrelated to Asthma. My breathing was very heavy, and I had a chest discomfort and could barely walk to the bathroom. Feeling of extreme anxiety and felt like I was suffocating. I tried to do controlled breathing for hyperventilation in case this was the problem. I don't know if the drug caused me to hyperventilate or if it cause such anxiety that I hyperventilated on my own or if it was some other kind of breathing difficulty. I stopped the drug and it took about 3 weeks for symptoms to leave permanently.”

Keep Trying · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2017

For Asthma: “I began taking Montelukast in October 2017 took a night time dose each day for two weeks. After three days with the drug, tiredness and weakness set in. By midafternoon I was ready to sleep. Returning from my medical appointment last week, it was very difficult to stay awake and drive home. Note, I take Ritalin daily and still felt this severe tiredness.”

Thankyou! October 21, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Thankyou guys for sharing honest reviews! PCP placed me on Montelukast 10 Mg a day . Allergies began to lighten up for awhile . But OMGOSH REALLY! Guys it has got me such a desperate fight for my well-being ! Didn't know why I was feeling so fatigued depressed no interest in nothing and a battle just to get out of bed most days ! Had super dark thoughts and awe\ful vivid dreams that I could feel the next days of worthless ! Asked Prayer Group to Pray for Me ! First night I didn't dream that awful dream but fatigue and depressing thoughts remained! This Med is awful for me ! No more will I subject myself to this dangerous Medicine ! From the bottom of my heart don't expose your well-being to medicine that can affect in such harmful ways!”

Sdlassiter56 · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have chronic postnasal drip. I have had no success with OTC allergy meds. My ENT decided to try generic Singulair. First night I was wide awake all night and had uncontrollable muscle tremors & twitches. The next day I had headache, stomach ache, heartburn, & terribly dizzy. Next night I had difficulty sleeping, terrible vivid nightmares, night sweats . Woke with low fever, as well as all those other symptoms, Felt teary for no reason. Thought I had the flu but when looking up if 'sweats & nightmares' are Singulair side effects. I found ALL my issues were! Tried to stay with Sigulair as I knew it was one that needs to build up, but after a week & no effect on my drip it was too awful to bear any more. Was not good for me unfortunately.”

Thankful4SURE September 30, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “This did increase my son's asthma numbers and he took it for a year w/o noticeable side effects. However, I took ONE tablet after asking to be prescribed this drug for allergies. And I turned way crazy! Took it before bed, sweated so much all night my sheets were drenched! Woke up to tremors, big time. At work, the first little thing that I could not figure out, I lost all control over my emotions! It then went from bad to worse, as I suddenly did not care about my life, I was down at the bottom of a dark hole. I texted my SO I was going to write up my will in case I didn't last the weekend! Did not suspect pill at first...but thank God I didn't take it again and was back to normal-Beware!”

Bookwrm71 · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Singulair was wonderful for my allergies. My allergies are only in my ears causing popping, crackling, clogging and pulling. From the 1st dose I felt better and kept improving until my ears were better than they had been in months. Unfortunately, on day 10 I developed tremors in my hands and lower arms. The tremors turned into shaking when I tried to use my arms/hands. My legs felt detached from my body. So it was wonderful for my allergies but horrible for side effects. Hopefully it won't take too long to get out of my system so the tremors stop.”

CatD · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I began taking this medication on Saturday and by Monday (3 days later), I felt awful. I had a general feeling of illness; nausea; and pain in my back, legs, arms and hands to the extent that I had to take Oxycodone. The med did seem to be working somewhat because I was feeling less drainage in my throat, but not enough to cut out Claritin and Sudafed. In case my symptoms were the result of something else, I'm going to try Montelukast again in a couple weeks.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2017

For Asthma: “WARNING! I have had my asthma Since childhood. This worked wonders with my asthma it almost immediately stopped me from having to use my rescue. I didn't realize it until now but around the time I started taking it was when I started to suffer from severe mood swings and the feeling of unable to control my emotions (I am 24) something would upset me and I would just cry and cry and cry. I noticed a lack of energy not caring about things I once use to and I just wanted to sleep. If I did go out and drink I sometimes would have terrible nights since alcohol is a depressant I am assuming this is why I would have such an over emotional reaction to things that I normally wouldn't cry about. I am immediately stopping this once I made the connection.”