User Reviews for Modafinil (Page 8)

Also known as: Provigil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Depression

6.5

Summary of Modafinil reviews 7.4 368 reviews

Reviews for Modafinil

Improved March 25, 2016

For Depression: "After suffering from severe depression and PTSD; and having been prescribed Luvox, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft, and combinations for over 20 years; I read about Modafinil being used off label. The only antidepressant that had helped previously was the Zoloft. After several years; it lost the effectiveness from when I first began taking it. In the meantime, I became permanently disabled due to MANY physical conditions along with my mental conditions. My doctor added Modafinil to my daily regiment of medications. I can think more clearly; and don't lose my train of thought, nor become distracted as often before taking Modafinil. It has been a blessing for me and I have not experienced any ill side effects."

ModafiMedic · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2016

For Depression: "Took these for a few weeks leading up to an exam with no thought that they'd help with my depression. Having suffered from chronic depression since early adolescence which was not at all helped by the numerous anti-depressants I've tried over the years these pills were a blessing. It's the first time I'd felt like myself in years; I had energy, drive, my thinking became more positive and it was like this crushing weight was taken off from me and I could actually enjoy life again. Really hope this medication becomes licensed for use in treating depression in the UK, could potentially improve countless lives."

kiel · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2016

For Fatigue: "It works wonders. I'm no longer depressed or tired. Everyone who qualifies for a prescription should get it"

Geeeceee · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "IMHO, modafinil is a good medication. I was originally diagnosed with EDS. Couple years later, MSLT showed REM, blablabla, narcolepsy. I've tried it ALL. best was Dexedrine which is no longer manufactured (as far as I understand). Adderral dropped me down to about 95lbs (even tho I'm a small girl). Ritalin made me super anxious and mute and slow. And provigil was... Just ok and VERY expensive. Stopped the provigil because it cost $500 a month, 60tabs BID 100 mg. I just can't keep paying for it. I went back to Ritalin which is the cheapest of them all cause I thought I was better. Never been more wrong! Not being on the provigil has shown me, I DO HAVE NARCOLEPSY. W/o provigil, I can barely function :-/. But how can I carve out $500 for it?!"

Notsorich February 21, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I had to work part time because I was so tired. Eventually I had to stop altogether. Now I buy modafinil and my life has changed . I am a cab driver able to do airport runs thinking clearly and never tired. I don't take it every day just 100mg or half a tab before driving. I can do all my paperwork now and am enjoying life."

PaulUK · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2016

For Fatigue: "I have had fatigue and brain fog for years now, so I decided to try modafinil. I took 100mg on my first day at 7:00am, by 8:00 I could feel my tiredness diminishing and went to work. It certainly gave me more motivation and focus but at the same time you feel slightly weird. You certainly know you have taken a drug and for me the slightly wired feeling is a little off putting. People leave comments claiming it's amazing etc but I feel people taking modafinil for the first time should take caution. On 100mg It was incredibly hard to sleep, my mind started cobbling together thought after thought of random things, anything but shutting down to sleep. I would recommended starting on 50mg, for me 100mg is too strong."

Angela101 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 3, 2016

For ADHD: "I was on adderall for 12 years after diagnosed with ADHD. I have always had problems being tired all the time and that helped along with the other sytoms. I have fallen asleep driving etc. I saw a neurologist his recommendation was a sleep specialist and take me off the adderall. My regular doctor weaned me off the adderall and started the modafinl. I started with 100 mg at the end off the adderall then went to 200 mg alone that done nothing she upped it to 400mg and it helped for a few months now it's like I'm taking a sugar pill it does nothing. I can not function or stay awake. Now going for sleep study."

M855 January 27, 2016

For Depression: "I think I might be the only person in the world having no beneficial effect on this drug. I took 50 Mg Modalert and I never felt so bad in my life: I was paranoid, anxious, had several serious suicidal thoughs , headache and nausea. I kept feeling bad for the next 24 hours. I feel so disappointed and sad, I was hoping that moda could have helped me"

Bjcast January 24, 2016

For Fatigue: "Life back. Fatigue,fibro,myofascial pain,& no rem sleep. I was only out of bed on the average of 6 hrs per day. Stomach pain & nausea bad 2 weeks at 200 mg so cut in half. At 100 mg after 10 days can tolerate. Speech is not as fast as on 200 mg & not quite as active, but up most all of the day. Tired at nite, but still takes awhile to get to sleep. So happy to feel almost normal again!"

Jen K. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 10, 2016

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "I've been working 12 hour night shifts for 23 years. Started feeling excessive daytime sleepiness approximately 10 years ago, which has progressed to the point of fighting to keep my eyes open 24/7. Began taking modafinil 6 months ago and have noticed no difference whatsoever! If anything, it has gotten worse. I fear for my life (and everyone else around me!) every time I'm behind the wheel of my car. Working day shifts or changing jobs is absolutely not an option for me, as I have a special needs child that I need to be home with during the day. Have had every type of lab work known to man, all of which is normal. This zombie life is absolutely ridiculous and really wish someone had a solution!"

Sroryteller January 9, 2016

For Fatigue: "I have used Provigil - modifinal for more than 15 years for MS fatigue. It allows me to lead a normal life. Before I started using it I said I would be happy to just sleep for the rest of my life. My insurance paid for it at first, but then stopped. I purchase it by prescription through inernet. "

MilashkaNY · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2016

For ADHD: "I have ADHD, tried Modafinil 100mg, side effects, stomach upset, lost appetite, can't sleep at all for 2 days. Headache. Made me feel jittery, I felt all over the place couldn't concentrate actually. Also made me feel unsocial and bad mood. The only thing is yes you won't sleep. Gave it a try a few more times, don't like it. Sticking to Adderall, much better for ADHD!!!"

Thor283 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 30, 2015

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "I first took Modafinil for shift work, but I also took it for fatigue, and depression. It worked great for all those conditions. I'm in my 60's and when I was young Docs gave me real amphetamines to lose weight. Amphetamines are a nightmare compared to Modafinil. Even though they give me the 200 mg tab. I never take 200 mg at once. I always break them in half and take 100 mg at a time. The worst thing is if you take it too late you can't sleep. But you need to sleep with Modafinil and you also need to eat with it. You feel better when you do. I give it a 10."

Nate.B · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2015

For Fatigue: "I'm a 27 year old male and work 80-90 hours/week. I found that I crash after 3-5 hours if I don't prepare my body with proper nutrients before taking a 100mg dose. Eating a solid meal before, and healthy snacking during has given me great results. Wakefulness, alert, no jitters, and no crash. I also have at least 2 cups of coffee throughout the day to keep it consistent. Positive results if you use it correctly."

NW49ERSFAN1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "It works, it really really works, it is just expensive !"

Carter Carter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2015

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "I have narcolepsy which went undiagnosed for decades. I don't drink coffee and for years self medicated using caffeine tablets and diet sodas. Finally in desperation started looking for answers via the net, had a sleep study and voila, narcolepsy. Tried Ritalin with no effect, then Provigil and for the first time felt normal and productive. Health insurance would not cover and soon I was paying $800.00 a month for meds. To make matters worse, the Provigil soon lost any efficacy. Ultimately my Doc, reluctantly prescribed Adderall and I have been taking 30mg in the AM and 20 more around lunch. This works ok, but still need caffeine."

Michael Westen · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Pretty much bed ridden. Took 100 mg of Modafinil. Within 5 minutes, had lots of pressure in my head.Very unpleasant. Did absolutely nothing to make me feel better. Instead, felt worse. Extreme pressure in head lasted 90 minutes. Then mild headache rest of the day. Very disappointing."

Minnysmom December 3, 2015

For Depression: "Taking care of 90 year old m in law has put my life in deep dark depression. I was not able to function, my thinking speech and soul were leaving me more each day. Changing her diapers,and watching her sit idle 12 hours a day was more than I could handle. This med has given me patience,focus & my smile back. I am able to take care of her with a better outlook, and take care of my kids & husband again. It's a blessing and it worked for me in 2 days. My fatigue is gone,my mood is brighter the gloom has gone away. I feel like I'm alive where as before I took it, I felt dead inside & had no hope just wanted to stay in bed. I am grateful to have a normal feeling,it's been a miracle for me.need to appeal ins co.as they don't want to pay."

Stephxoxo November 20, 2015

For Fatigue: "I'm on 200mg. I have MS fatigue and I can't get anything done without it. I love this pill."

sleepybush · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 13, 2015

Provigil (modafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "I have been on and off Provigil a couple times over the past few years after being diagnosed with sleep apnea. I first started with 100mg and a CPAP machine. I soon began to feel better but the CPAP did not last because I kept ripping it off in the night. So I ended both. Recently I have gone back on Provigil taking 200mg for shift differential disorder because of the long shifts and my inability to stay awake and falling asleep driving. What a difference. I can stay awake for my 12 hour shift and the 1 hour drive each way to work. I feel if I had not gone back on it I most likely would have wrecked to or from work by now. Only down fall is an occasional upset stomach if I don't eat before or immediately after taking it."

apmcs November 4, 2015

For Drowsiness: "Horrible! I am dizzy, feel like vomiting, diarrhea, more sleepy than before and super super dizzy, this thing is worrying me alot"

burlysteak · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2015

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "I have been taking Modafinil for 2 years now @ 600mg daily. Moderate to severe sleep apnea. I have been trying to sleep for 20 years...I have tried everything, surgery. weight loss Autopap and a cpap. no side effects."

I'm so low · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 3, 2015

For Depression: "I have chronic depression and am a survivor of ovarian Ca. After chemotherapy I suffered from severe fatigue that never resolved. My family physician suggested Provigil. This medication literally gave me my life back. At present time my insurance company has discontinued paying for my Provigil. I stopped taking my old antidepressant to start a new one which didn't agree with me. I made a dr. Visit during the 2 days I was off any antidepressant, the dr. documented it and no more Provigil. Its under appeal at the present time but I don't think I am going to win. Beware of what you say!!"

TraderAsh September 18, 2015

For Depression: "I can't believe it. It is just like everybody says it is! I never respond to medications this well. After 2 days I feel like a different person. Everything is better! I don't care if this drug took 20 years off my life, it is worth it!"

InfiniteBravery · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2015

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Sensational medication. Provigil taken alone for my narcolepsy kept me awake and alert when needed yet allowed me to take my short nap(s) through out the day when needed."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)