User Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 8)

Also known as: Metoprolol Tartrate, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol

Da Pig February 5, 2010

“Keeps my blood pressure well under control. I do have some erectile dysfunction but do not know if this drug causes it.”

Anonymous January 2, 2010

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I have not liked this medication at all. I was taking 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide, which worked great to reduce and maintain my blood pressure, but a side effect was frequent urination, and as a teacher, that was a slight nuisance. However, with generic Toprol, I have not gotten a decent night's sleep, and my blood pressure went higher (although I halved the 25 mg pill due to the side effects). I also feel anxious and unsettled. ”

Educanna December 7, 2009

“Works too well for me, average BP is 100/60 P-60. Only negatives for me are: lack of energy and endurance, restless sleep, daytime sleepyness.”

Anonymous November 18, 2009

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I have had many problems (one being that it took me a lot of time for my body to get used to it) with this product. The worst side effect has been the onset of diabetes which this product is responsible for. The question I had of my cardiologist is why in the world would he prescribe it to a high risk candidate like me -- I am Hispanic, in my 50s when it was prescribed. I informed my PA of this after my last crisis and she is looking into prescribing a different product (one given at the hospital) but this after a few years on Toprol. I figure that without the change from this medicine I don't stand a chance of reversing my diabetic condition.”

Born loser November 13, 2009

“Side effects back pain and heavy legs I seem to a person who suffers from side effects. I am off them now.”

unknown hoosier November 4, 2009

“I have been on Metoprolol for 20 yrs. I was diagnosed with High Blood pressure when I was 23 yrs old, started on 100mg now I'm on 25mg. I do experience anxiety a lot and tiredness, along with dizziness at times. The medicine does work,just hoping some day my kidneys will mend themselves so I can STOP taking this medicine.”

Anonymous October 7, 2009

“I was prescribed Lopressor after suffering a hypertensive encephalopathy in Juy 2008. Although it has controlled my blood pressure, the side effects (fatigue, confusion, "fogginess") have become bad over the last 14 months. I'm trying to convince my doctor to switch me to something else.”

Anonymous September 14, 2009

“I only took this for 3 days. My blood pressure had started to drop, but I woke up the morning after taking the 3rd dose with red spots on my arms that looked like the beginning of a bruise. My arms felt tired all day. I held a big bag of apples in each hand at the orchard for about 10 minutes and on the way home noticed more "bruises" appearing on both arms. The same thing happened that evening while shopping - I was holding a stack of clothes over my arm and red spots and streaks started appearing on the arm I was holding the clothes over. I have quit taking them until I can contact my doctor.”

mylife1 August 31, 2009

Lopressor (metoprolol): “It has dramatically reduced my blood pressure and I feel great. Just a little more tired throughout the day.”

Anonymous July 15, 2009

Lopressor (metoprolol): “It is fourth blood pressure pill for me. It feels like it is only partly working. My blood pressure problems are usually happening after anxiety attacks of which doctors says I have but don't know why.”

DOBY July 11, 2009

“Have only been on a 50mg dose twice daily for a week. So far the drug has not helped. My blood pressure is in 120's/to low 130's/over mid 80's upon arising. In mid 150's over mid 90's by noon, and 170's over 100's by 6:00pm. I take the first dose about 8:00am and 2nd dose about 5:00pm. Plan to contact my doctor on monday.”

Anonymous June 24, 2009

“Taking the drug for angina and hypertension for about 3 weeks. It appears that the drug has begun to 'kick in' and my blood pressure has fallen, I have not experienced any chest pain in the last 2 weeks.”

Anonymous May 13, 2009

“Found that this medicine makes me cough a lot (has continued for 3 months).”

marysmother April 16, 2009

“I am taking half the dosage and experiencing low blood pressure and extreme sleepiness.”

Anonymous April 8, 2009

“I have VSD, a bi-cuspid Aortic valve and Mirtal valve regurgitation. I am 37 years old and have been taking metoprolol for about 1 year as a result of some tachycardia/palpitations I experienced a while back. I have had pre-hypertension (139/80) nearly all my life due to an enlarged heart caused by my hearts inefficiency from its defects. Metoprolol seems to have controlled the arrhythmia's, although I will get one from time to time, but nothing of any duration. I have noticed a substantial decrease in energy levels, making it quite difficult to lose the extra 50lbs I am carrying around. I work out regularly but I have not lost a single pound. It has not really impacted my blood pressure at all. I take 25mg twice daily.”

Psoriasissuff April 8, 2009

“I have been on this blood pressure medicine now for almost two months. I seem to be doing well and another thing that I noticed my psoriasis has cleared up. I don't know if the metoprolol has anything to do with it. If so, then keep me on it. I have suffered with psoriasis for five years straight.”

Rik T April 5, 2009

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I have been taking Metoprolol 25mg once a day for 13 days. It has lowered my heart rate by about 30 beats a minute but I am always tired, get chest pain, headache and numbness. Little to no benefit in lowering my blood pressure (140/95's).”

Naomi in Chgo March 14, 2009

“Began taking this medication for high blood pressure about a month ago. My daily migraines are gone, readings are back to normal, I have been sleeping great and have no real complaints. I hope there will not be a weight gain can't afford it. The one thing I am noticing is itching around my neck and elbow joints.”

BFSkinner February 28, 2009

“My situation is a bit different. I suffer from multiple other conditions (SLE, hypotension upon standing, etc.) When I started on this medicine I had just had a myocardial infarction and also tachycardia. I need to control the tachycardia but also had the hypotension issues to worry about. I tried other beta blockers and none worked well enough to deal with the heart issues. This medicine dealt with the heart issues BUT it caused a lot of side effects that did not go away. ”

mebourquin February 22, 2009

“This medicine did lower my blood pressure, but the side effects were horrible. It caused hair loss, skin rash, weight gain, insomnia, tiredness, dizziness and depression. ”

1257mpm February 9, 2009

“Broke out into a rash on chest and back.”

Anonymous February 9, 2009

“I have been taking 50mg daily for around 2 years. Caused a 25 lb. weight gain that I can't seem to shake; other then that, it's worked well for blood pressure control. Good side effect - I no longer get migraine headaches nearly as much as I used to.”

honey.. February 2, 2009

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “This is a real good medicine. It controls my blood pressure and I like the way it works.”

Anonymous January 6, 2009

“Elevated blood pressure and increased heart rate due to long term undertreated high blood pressure. Metoprolol worked wonders. Been on it for a year - the side effects are strange dreams (not scary...just strange) and exercise difficulties. My doctor recommended sticking with 80% of exercise target heart rate. If you're having side effects, give this medication a couple months to work. It will get better. Make sure your doctor monitors your triglycerides and blood sugar while on any beta blocker. My triglycerides shot through the roof, but now under control with fish oil. ”

youmaynotusethisnickname December 28, 2008

“I have been using Metoprolol for about 3 years now for high-blood pressure. Started with 50mg and now at 100mg. Before the medicines I used to have a headache from the back of my neck to the back of my head every day. Since taking it, no more headaches. Blood pressure is low too. Can't seem to lose any weight though. I think I started out at 185 lbs (still overweight), but now I'm at 192 lbs and can't seem to get below that. Am pretty gassy and have frequent diarrhea.”