User Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 7)

Also known as: Metoprolol Tartrate, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2012

Lopressor (metoprolol): “This medicine has done an excellent job with lowering my blood pressure. However, I have been having dry eyes and gas. On the positive side, this medicine is also good for anxiety!”

rough & ready · Taken for 10 years or more September 25, 2012

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I have been taking TOPROL XL 100MG for at least 9 yrs, during that time I tried the METOPROLOL and it did not control my blood pressure, the Toprol XL has worked great without side effects, however I have reduced my salt intake even to the extent of using red pepper on my eggs in the morning. I took it on myself to reduce my dosage of TOPROL XL cutting it in half because my pressure was checking much lower and I did so for about two week prior to a Doctors appointment keeping a record of checks three to four times a day and gave it to my Dr. and he ran a EKG, then reduced my dosage in half and I'm checking out fine at around 120/70/67 so suggest check your salt intake.”

daycord · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 27, 2012

“As I'm reading the posts I'm wondering. Am I the only one on this medicine who is experiencing undesirable sexual side effects? Excuse my language, but I haven't had "morning wood" since I been put on this medicine 3 years ago. Its beyond frustrating. It takes an act of congress to get an erection, and even when I do somehow get erections, they are very brief and not what it once was. Almost like it has shrunk. Once Again I apologize for my language, but I'm reading all the post and I'm wondering am I the only one experiencing this?”

uppercase · Taken for 10 years or more June 15, 2012

“Been taking this medicine many yrs. I have experienced weight gain, short of breath in exercise, and now I am sweating "pink" which is ruining my clothing. It does not wash out even after using laundry "spot: cleaning. Anyone else experience this?”

Anonymous March 24, 2012

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “Heart was missing a beat while working out. Saw my Doc and after an EKG and a slightly elevated blood pressure was put on 25mg which went to 100mg over a period of 3 yrs. Kept BP at home and was fine. Every time at the Doctor's it was like 150/90 never understood this. Last time was placed on Lisinopril, this kicked my butt, dizziness, ear ringing, dry cough. Said heck with it and found a Cardiologist. He took me off the Ace Inhibitor and put me on Norvasc 10mg, will see how it works.”

Anonymous March 5, 2012

“I have been taking Metoprolol tartrate for 15 years and it has probably saved my life. I take 100mg twice a day with little or no side effects. I feel great while using this medicine. If I miss a dose, I get serious tachycardia and cannot do physical work. When using, I am a conditioned athlete, lift weights, sprints, etc. and feel healthy. No clicks, no PVC's.”

bud2411 January 16, 2012

“Perfect solution for my high blood pressure.”

ruru 60 November 7, 2011

“I just started taking Metoprolol 25 mg a day and its side effects are awful. I experienced hair loss, severe dizziness, insomnia, flu like symptoms, fatigue and a feeling of near fainting. I will go back to the doctor to have her halve the dosage.”

Anonymous October 29, 2011

“I have been on some form of metoprolol for seven years. It was actually my first prescribed medication at 28. I never even thought about side effects as being the problems I was experiencing; thought there was always something else that the Doctor's was overlooking. Now that I have read these comments, I suffer from most of the common ones; tiredness, weakness, trouble losing weight, strange dreams, increased sweating, difficulty breathing, etc. Have had numerous tests off and on for the last two years, and nothing is ever found. I have also since then started taking clonidine and amlodipine. Some of these symptoms are probably drug interactions. I noticed a chaotic heartbeat when clonidine was added to the medicines. It has gotten worse for the past two years.”

Anonymous October 23, 2011

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I started taking this medicine in 2006. It works to take the pressure off my heart but it has caused me arthritis in my knees, hands and feet. Now I am in pain most of the time. My hands have developed arthritis in both thumbs, my feet have it in my toes. I tried another Astra Zeneca product called Atacand and it works better but is so expensive I can't afford to buy it.”

Naj August 15, 2011

“This medicine has worked great for me in respect to my high blood pressure and irregular heart rhythm. But caused my feet and legs to swell, skin on legs to peel, and tautness of foot muscles. I complained to my doctor about the swelling, and he said I had damaged vein valves in my legs. After seeing him, the swelling gradually grew worse. One leg was enormous. I started looking up adverse reactions on-line to see what could be causing this problem. The only one that I take regularly is Metoprolol. I stopped taking it immediately, and the swelling has been subsiding until my legs look also normal again. ”

Anonymous July 28, 2011

“My only complaint is that it makes me feel tired around noon time. Sometimes I'll take a forty five minute nap after I get home from work, then I usually feel re-energized. It does control blood pressure well.”

Stevied March 12, 2011

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Been on this medicine for over 12 years started on 50 mg now at 200 mg ER. Been on 200mg for over 7 years now works real good I am 36 and it must be hereditary because both my younger sisters were on blood pressure medicines at a early age. My parents take 2 different blood pressure medicines as well. Works good for me when I check it every day.”

Anonymous March 10, 2011

“I started on metoprolol 2 months ago at 25 mg, twice a day (plus hydrochorothiazide at 25 mg that I have been taking for 3 months). This is to treat a high systolic pressure that was originally at 145 though my diastolic was at 75. Metoprolol had no effect for 3 weeks until my systolic dropped to 127 from about 137. At the end of that 3 weeks I increased metoprolol to 75 mg/day and by the end of the 6th week my systolic had climed to 134. So I am not sure what effect it is having, except that I experience symptoms of a dry mouth which is unpleasant.”

Anonymous January 13, 2011

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “Before I started Toprol XL I had migraines everyday for a year I had no idea that I had high blood pressure and it wasn't really high it was borderline. Anyway I started taking the Toprol and my migraines decreased and the palpitations seemed to stop after about a month. I ended up only taking Toprol for 8 months and I had no more migraines or palpitations and of course my blood pressure was under control. It stayed that way for about a year and a half until I became pregnant and that seemed to trigger it all back. But I did the same thing and am fine now and I never experienced any side effects.”

Anonymous September 9, 2010

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “Took it 2 times and it gave me chest pain, nervousness and could not sleep. Stopped taking it.”

gzlnq9 August 27, 2010

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “Male, 55, been on Inderal for close to 30 years. Switched to Toprol. Had to return to Inderal because of increased arrhythmias.”

scribble August 26, 2010

“I began taking metoprolol about 2 months ago, 25 mg daily. I had a hard time getting used to it. Stupidly, I stopped taking it after the first week, I ended up feeling so bad I had to go to the ER. Since then all my problems have been side-effects. A few hours before I am to take my next dose I begin to feel depressed, very cranky and angry and generally just awful. Once I take the medicine though those feelings tend to go away. It also upsets my stomach and I have had a mild loss of appetite. I have also noticed that some foods taste different. I am also having a problem staying asleep, but I seem to fall asleep easily. So I am up and down all night. I am not happy on it so I will be asking my doctor for something else.”

AceMan July 29, 2010

Lopressor (metoprolol): “Took metoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide for several years. Seemed to reduce blood pressure to acceptable levels. About a year ago I experienced shortness of breath at times along with some fluid in lungs. Turns out that metoprolol (Lopressor) can cause that. Got off the metoprolol and lungs cleared up. Not taking it anymore.”

LullabyNine June 16, 2010

Lopressor (metoprolol): “I am a 30 year old female and I have high blood pressure (and tachycardia). Approximately 20 minutes or so after I would take my dose of Lopressor, I would get symptoms similar to a panic attack. Extreme hot flash and rapid heartbeat (more rapid than my usual... my pulse rate is usually around 100-105 as it is.) When I told my doctor, he told me to quit taking the Lopressor and then he put me on another high blood pressure medicine. I only took Lopressor for a few days, because of the side effects, so I cannot comment on it's effectiveness in blood pressure reduction.”

anonymous777 June 15, 2010

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I was prescribed 25mg a day about 2 1/12 years ago during a routine visit when I had a blood pressure of 150/90. Since that time my BP has stayed around 115-125/60 something/low 70s. My resting heart rate varies from high 40s to low 60s/min. I also started swimming laps which is off and on again. The medicine seems to work well for me without any noticeable side effects at all. Both my mom and dad had high blood pressure. I'm now in my mid fifties so I guess it's my turn now.”

par1335 May 18, 2010

“53 years old using this medicine for high blood pressure for around 6 years. It controls my blood pressure but I gained weight, specially on my legs, increased urination, no headache, no pain on my chest, breath well in general. It is better than other medicine I have been on before.”

khan143 April 2, 2010

Lopressor (metoprolol): “It's a very useful drug as it it not only control blood pressure but also gives other long term benefits to the patients.”

curtistx February 15, 2010

“Metoprolol helped my blood pressure but it really spiked my Triglycerides. I have been watching my cholesterol for a while now and everything was looking good. I started on this med a few months ago and had another cholesterol test done. Triglycerides went up to 238 from always being under 140.”

Da Pig February 5, 2010

“Keeps my blood pressure well under control. I do have some erectile dysfunction but do not know if this drug causes it.”