User Reviews for Amitiza

Constipation, Chronic
6.7

Summary of Amitiza reviews 6.2 216 reviews

Reviews for Amitiza

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "After reading all of these negative reviews I decided I need to give my 2 cents in. I have suffered with constipation and stomach aches my entire life and recently it went from bad to worse and I finally told my doctor that I needed to do something. He originally prescribed Linzess but my insurance would only cover that after trying Amitiza. I have been taking Amitiza as a laxative for a week and it is a miracle, it works so well! I take two MCG pills a day. I have found 1 at night after dinner and 1 in the morning after breakfast works great. I am having normal and complete movements for the first time in years (usually I have diarrhea from taking laxatives or rocks)...it was never normal or complete. I do get a little nauseated sometimes after I take Amitiza but it does not compare to the nausea I get from other laxatives I have tried or being backed up. I have been drinking mint tea and it really helps. This drug is a miracle."

SP May 9, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic "This medication gave me terrible side effects: bloating, gas, diarrhea, abdominal pain, exhaustion, headache. Do not use it if you do not have to. The benefit was not enough to warrant the amount of side effects I got from Amitza, so I had to stop it. It took 2 weeks for the side effects to completely go away."

crstlgls (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "After Linzess quit working for me my GI prescribed me Amitiza. The first few weeks of taking it twice daily with food were pretty rough with the unbearable side effects. I was unable to work after taking the medication due to the overwhelming fatigue and nausea. It even got to the point where I would have to vomit after taking the medication to get rid of the side effects. But after experimenting with how often and when I take the medication the side effects became bearable. I now take the Amitiza once daily on an empty stomach which helps with the nausea but the fatigue that subsides with in 2 or so hours is still there. In my opinion, I'd rather deal with the fatigue than not having a bowel movement. I do recommend!!"

E (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Day one on Amitiza and my stomach was no longer distended and I was able to have a very small movement. But by day 3 the never ending pain that I told my GI was my chief complaint. Was so unbearable that it was making me also become light headed. I quit by day 7 because there was no longer any bowel movements, gas or anything. Just a constant amount of pain and inability to think from the pain."

Nevyn (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I did not get nauseous or have any bad side effects. This pill just didn't work at all for my IBS."

Judge Truth (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

For Constipation "Took for one week and it had no effect, whatsoever. Waste of $300 that I could not afford."

TJ (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Day 4 on Amitiza and still nothing. No cramps. So much for the miracle drug. Called doc’s office and I’m still waiting for a response."

Dee (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2019

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I took Amitiza as prescribed (24 mg x 1) for constipation which was a result of my medications for chronic depression and anxiety as well as the addition of gabapentin for nerve pain. Aside from the bloating, cramps and diarrhea, after about three days I relapsed into severe depression even though I had been in remission for over 15 years. Not realizing my body was reacting to the Amitiza, I remained on it for about 10 days. I strongly caution anyone who is on medication for anxiety and/or depression to consider an alternative to Amitiza. Even after 3 weeks off of Amitiza I am still struggling with the side effects of depression."

Sammy (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2019

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Amitiza has helped me tremendously with my gastro issues. My cost is pretty high even with insurance which makes it very difficult every month to refill but i faithfully take it as prescribed; Amitiza, for me, is a LIFESAVER!!!!!!"

milliebird (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "So far so good. I started this med due to my first IBS-C flare that went on for a week and showed no signs of going away. I’ve been on 8mg samples, morning and night, for three days now. This medication is so amazing for shortening my time in the restroom; I’ve gone to 1-2 hours from 10-15 minutes. I had some nausea the first day, but that’s gone now. The only negatives with this med are that I get stomach cramping if I eat vegetables until I “go”, and sometimes simple gas, which has increased, feels like it’ll be a BM."

Fembot (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic "I started taking Amitiza several months ago because my insurance wouldn't cover a different medication. Honestly, I still find myself needing to take other methods almost weekly for elimination. I haven't had any testing done by a GI specialist yet, so I'm not sure if maybe I just have something more going on that makes the medication ineffective. I didn't expect it to work like a laxative exactly, but I did think I would go more than once or twice a week. Sometimes I still become incredibly bloated with stomach pains from lack of movement, so I don't think it works very well for me."

DB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2018

For Constipation "A doctor told me he thinks I have IBS with chronic constipation. Had constipation before and after I started taking Percocet for pain."

Cutencrazy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I took amitiza for 3 days. I had blood pressure spiked, sweats, severe jaw pain ,sick to my stomach, headache. I called called doc on third day he told me to stop it immediately and if the symptoms don't go away go to the ER. Oh and it didn't relief my constipation AT all."

nick (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "It worked right after the first dose, then nothing. I am going to try Linzess? It works differently."

KristaK (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic "Please help. I had a prolapse and rectocele surgery Two weeks ago . I started taking amitiza two days ago and no bm yet. I was told no straining after surgery . Anyone have any ideas ?"

Daisy (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I took my first dose of 24 mcg about 11pm and had ate about 1/2 hour earlier. About 30 min later, I had severe cramping, my tongue started getting numb. So I went to the bathroom and had severe diarrhea. I threw up, my feet and hands started going numb, I broke out in a huge puddle of cold sweat. I thought I was going to pass out. Neither the doctor or pharmacist told me about these types of side effects. Needless to say, I will stick to miralax."

BC (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic "Took it for a month and a half, but nothing improved. Didn't experience severe side effect either. So I'm switching to a new drug now and hope it could solve my problem permanently."

Lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic "I used this drug for chronic constipation for years with good results, stopping after I retired and didn't seem to need it any more. More recently I have needed it, and it still works for the most part. You do need to drink a full glass of water with it, per instructions, though a "glass" can be as little as 6 or 8 ounces. If you don't take it with a meal, take it with a big spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter or you will likely have nausea. That is the one side effect I have noticed, but I like peanut/almond butter anyway so it's not a problem. I'm sad that my insurance is going to make me "try" Linzess now instead of Amitiza; I'm a bit leery of that product after reading the reviews."

Mimi123 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 1, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "It is horrible I have nauseousness,vomiting and it doesn't work."

Cindy September 30, 2018

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Caused severe bloating and cramping and did nothing to relieve the constipation. Just made it more painful to the point that you can't function. Tried on 2 separate occasions with the same result. Another high priced miracle drug that doesn't deliver."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "When I started out taking Amitiza it worked great at 24 mcg twice a day, but after 1 week I started to get very sick every time I took it. My symptoms were syncope, dyspnea, nausea, vomiting, loose stool, heart palpations, rapid heart rate, chills, sweating, headache, and tunnel vision. I tried taking it once a day, still had all the same effects. After talking to my Dr we decided to go to 8mcg twice a day. I didn't take any for 2 weeks, and started taking the 8mcg twice a day. After the 11th dose (1st dose day 6) I started experiencing nausea, syncope, dyspnea, headache chills, skin stinging, and cold sweats."

AllanPoe (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic "For the past 2 years Ive been struggling with constipation since going through chemo. I finally got referred to see gastroenologist. He put me on a low dose. 8mg twice a day and I can say for me personally I feel like a normal person again!! This is the best medication no side effects so far other than having to go to the bathroom a few times a day. I've tried drinking more water, having more fiber other laxatives and even linzess which was a no after the first pill. Not having the bloat feeling and feeling like you have to struggle to go the bathroom is the worst."

mommy99020613 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Doc prescribed this medicine to me for my IBS problem. Sure, it did help with my bowel movement, but I ended up spending close to an hour in the bathroom due to the persistent pain! Into the 3rd day of taking it, it has caused me multiple horrible side effects - bloating, nauseous, giddiness. The last straw came when the following day, it even resulted in vomiting! Would not recommend this due to the strong side effects."

coolios (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I’m not going to ever take any medication again before reading people’s real experiences on forums. I think if you tend towards nausea don’t take this medication. I’m so much worse now after one dose. I’m so sick of medication that makes me sicker. I’m going back to magnesium for constipation. I have some cramping with it but it works and the magnesium is helping my other problems. Just have to get a good brand, find the right dosage and keep it up. It’s really all they’re giving you to clean you out before a colonoscopy."

Nana (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic "Have suffered from Chronic Constipation for many years. 'Specialists' may label it "Idiopathic", which sounds technical, but really means "I don't know why, either, so just take this pill, or this other pill", etc. (So WHY not do more research, instead of just prescribing different pills????) Was prescribed LOW-dose Amitiza, and the side effects were absolutely awful !!!! Spent the night in the bathroom! Incredible pain, cramps, bloating, nausea all night! and NO BM! Eventually had a very painful BM at 4:00 A.M., which left me with an inflamed, painful, distended GI system. My doctor says that I should "try Amitiza AGAIN"??? Really? ! This is insane, and unacceptable; and hopefully, in spite of this terrible experience, I think I am still sane! Will keep looking for something that does not include torture as a side effect! God bless!"

RetiredMBA (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018