User Reviews for Amitiza (Page 8)

Constipation, Chronic

Opioid-Induced Constipation
3.3

Summary of Amitiza reviews 6.2 216 reviews

Reviews for Amitiza

For Constipation, Chronic "I take two 8 mcg capsules daily and it does work without any side effects except I have had some mild headaches but don't know if it is from the Amitiza or not. It has really helped with my constipation, but I do get quite a bit of gas and have to go to the bathroom more times a day, but that is better than constipation."

Anonymous July 13, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "At the age of 30 I started having severe constipation but have had mild constipation since I was 16. I was on Zelnorm with some success but find the Amitiza to be working for me with great success, a bowel movement everyday, which was rare for me. I find I have to maintain a healthy diet, yogurt in the morning(a must), and drink lots of water. I also take a probiotic pill OTC everyday to help with my extremely sensitive stomach. Things are in good order now for my stomach and constipation. The cost of Amitiza without insurance is $200 per month and with insurance I pay $50. Some minor side effects include immediate need to use the restroom and headaches. This medicine is successful for me."

San Diego Mom 40 June 28, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "I was taking 8 mg in the morning with breakfast and 8mg in the evening with dinner with 2 stool softeners before bedtime. Worked for a while then doctor told me to double the dosage with the 2 stool softeners before bedtime. This week, haven't had a movement for 2 days."

connie spaton June 23, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have lived for years and years with an issue that no one would identify as irritable bowel syndrome with constipation. I was always told to eat better and drink plenty of water. When it was figured out what I had, that doctor suggested stool softners and drink plenty of water. Then a sweet little physician's assistant prescribed Amitiza. This medicine works great even with the minimul side effects it creates. I experienced a little nausea some light headed times but all in all it is worth all this to finally be "regular". Before it was suggested I take this: I had read about it and several of the comments listed here. Thanks."

Anonymous April 21, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I absolutely love this medication! The trick I have found is to take it right before bed, then you can avoid the upset stomach and nausea. I know it says to take with food but I have been on this for over a year and it has been working great for me."

Anonymous February 23, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been dealing with chronic constipation for 6 years due to a muscle disease and pain medications. I have been on Amitiza for over 3 years now and have had no side effects at all. I have also had little to no problems with constipation since starting the medication. I would recommend anyone considering Amitiza to try it. If you have any side effects from it, I would bet they are better than dealing with the constipation."

tlbh1966 February 17, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "After a month of taking 8mg daily I have noticed a difference. I take right after dinner and I have had no side effects. I am having daily bowl movements. The bloating has not yet gone away but I am going to begin taking 16mg daily when I get my next refil. So far no complaints. I was scared to begin this medication after reading all the stories about side effects but as long as I take with food right after I eat I am fine. I have had a day or two where I have woke up with nausea but it was mild I ate a light breakfast and was fine. I have also changed my diet to a low fiber low gluten diet as well."

kmkbh05 February 14, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "This created very messy and uncomfortable stools, but any relief was better than none at all. But I am a college student who works out regularly and eats pretty decently. I had 2 allergic reactions and the second one was a lot worse. My lips and tongue were numb, my chest was tight, and I had to run across campus to find Benadryl. It wasn't fun. NEVER ignore signs of a possible reaction."

Anonymous November 1, 2010

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have had a pain in my left lower abdomen for a month and a half now. I finally went to the doctor yesterday and he told me it sounds like IBS. I have a GI appointment just to make sure. He gave me Amitiza to try till then. I was weary to try Amitiza because so many reviews talked of bad side effects. I ate a very full meal and took it last night. This morning I had no pain for the first time in a month and a half. I felt it some during the day but nothing like it has been. Definitely a miracle drug! I had little side effects, some nausea and a bit of feeling "not all there". But that was just a short time and it all went away. I can definitely handle the side effects when it works so well. I hope this review helps."

Anonymous October 26, 2010

"I have had chronic constipation all my life. Everytime I try something new it will work for a few weeks, and then it's like my body gets used to it and it doesn't work anymore. I have been taking Amitiza for 4 days, 24mcg twice a day. I have had 2 bowel movements but nothing more. I did experience some side effects, especially nausea. Have to take while eating and drink a lot of water, but no miracles yet. I will continue to take and see what happens."

Anonymous August 21, 2010

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been constipated for the past 8 months following an injury that left me with two broken vertebrae. Nothing seemed to help. Went to GI and they ordered a scope. Started me on Amitiza. I had been taking Miralax and Ducolax as well as the occasional stimulant laxative. The day I started on Amitiza I destroyed my bathroom. Very few side effects. I take the 8mg dose. People that complain of bad side effects are probably taking the higher dose. It's literally like the scene from 300 where the Spartan kicks the Persian in the chest and he falls down the well. It's like Amitiza is doing that but in my colon. "

1234blob August 15, 2010

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I too had a problem breathing and tightness in my chest. The doctor didn't believe that it was my new medicine and started treating me for asthma. I started reading about the medicine and learned that this was a side effect. I stopped taking it for a week or so and I have noticed a big difference in my breathing! I love the outcome of the medicine so I am going to try to take it only 2 or so times a week to see if that helps."

Anonymous August 14, 2010

For Constipation, Chronic "I have had Chronic Constipation for over 10 years, I would only go once a month usually the first day of my period. I have tried all types of medication and had procedures done because I thought something was wrong. I spoke with my doctor and she prescribed Amitiza to me the price was crazy even with my insurance but I was willing to try anything I took it for 15 days. I am very active and drink water like crazy and did not have a single bowel motion during that time. I am disappointed, thought I had found a solution to my problem. Back to the drawing board."

Sicktsp July 27, 2010

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This is really working for me. I am taking 24 mgs. once a day. I have had no side effects at all."

tanya.harris July 4, 2010

For Constipation, Chronic "Amitiza has been a life saver for me. It has worked when nothing else would. I have had no side effects. I take 8 mcg twice daily and I go to the bathroom every other day. Perfect!!"

Anonymous June 15, 2010

For Constipation, Chronic "I was nervous taking this after reading the reviews, but this medicine has been great! I first started out taking the 8mg twice a day, and was using the bathroom every third day. I moved up to the 24mg twice a day, and I actually use the bathroom once a day. The first time I took it, I did have stomach cramping during the night, but that just lasted for one night. I have had no side effects what so ever. My stool is actually what it is supposed to look like and I feel great. I used to be on Zelnorm and I miss that so much, but this medicine seems to do its trick. Hopefully this one will stay on the market. Don't be afraid of trying this at all after reading some other reviews."

Jennifer123456 May 7, 2010

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been taking Amitiza for about a week now. I have been having an average of 1 bowel motion per day! I used to move only 3 per week, so I'd say it is working wonders so far."

Anonymous April 28, 2010

For Constipation, Chronic "I started taking this medicine 4 days ago and so far it hasn't done anything for me at all, but then I don't have chronic constipation or IBS, so I'm really not sure why my doctor prescribed it. I have sudden, severe, acute constipation. The good thing is that even though it hasn't worked, it hasn't caused any side effects."

R123 November 6, 2009

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Has not helped me and the side effects are rough."

rgc69 October 22, 2009

For Constipation, Chronic "I have had very severe chronic constipation for over two years that has just seemed to get worse and worse over time. I've tried Amitiza on a few occasions over the last couple years and each time has been a awful experience. It works but it takes about 3 days and those 3 days are unbearable. Horrible gas and bloating, headaches, cramps, nausea, not to mention the pain in my back and sides from the severe bloating. I gave a friend some of my samples and it worked wonders for her, she had none of those side effects. Everyone is different, it's always worth a try."

Anonymous October 21, 2009

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I used this medication. After the second pill, I began to feel an awful feeling in my stomach that worked itself all the way up to my throat. My tongue swelled and I had to take a Benadryl to counteract this allergic reaction. Just wanted to alert others to this just in case it happens to them."

Anonymousnow October 14, 2009

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I take 8 mg, 2 pills a day; 1 teaspoon of milk of magnesia at night; worked great for a month, then stopped. I am either not going or runny stools; TERRIBLE gas and bloating; affecting my entire life; I take gas-x and charcoal tablets daily; no real consistent relief but runny stools is better than nothing for me; no nausea with food."

Anonymous October 1, 2009

For Constipation, Chronic "I began taking Amitiza twice a day in 2007 and like others in this room swore by Zelnorm. My experience has been great, although it seems I need to stop taking it for a few days every 4 to 6 months to reboot, so to speak, as it begins to diminish effectiveness. I'm curious if the extra long colon plays into our problems? I deal with this as well."

kNyewot August 30, 2009

For Constipation, Chronic "I have had chronic back pain for years, taking pain pills and was always constipated. I was miserable. My doctor prescribed Amitiza and I have had excellent results. No more straining and trying one laxative after another. Absolutely no side effects. What a great medicine!"

Evelyn Mitchell August 15, 2009

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Felt normal in 24 hours"

Anonymous August 2, 2009