User Reviews for Amitiza (Page 7)

Constipation, Chronic

Opioid-Induced Constipation
3.3

Summary of Amitiza reviews 6.2 210 reviews

Reviews for Amitiza

For Constipation, Chronic "For the first time in years my lower abdomen didn't feel full all the time."

kiki's mom (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "It works perfectly. I have been battling with chronic constipation for far too long. No matter how much water, fiber or exercise I do nothing gets my bowels moving. Amitiza worked fantastic, I took three pills (one a day, as prescribed by my doctor) and went to the bathroom everyday for a week. Unfortunately, my doctor gave it to me as a test. My only complain is that Amitiza is far too expensive. Insurance does not cover it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "I've have suffered from constipation for about 10 yrs now. I would use a laxative once or twice a week. Tired of laxatives so Doctor prescribed Amitiza. The first 2 days I suffered from severe nausea and had to lay in bed for an hour or so till it passed. Then I had extreme diarrhea that lasted the whole day. So far it seems that I'm only experiencing light nausea with the first dose, which seems to subside when I fill my stomach with food. It has been a full week now that I've been taking it and have yet to have a full bowel movement. I have constant gas and pains. I feel like I have to have a movement but when I go to the bathroom I find I still have to strain and nothing really comes out. "

BellyBloat (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been on Amitiza for five years, and am truly grateful for it. I was lucky to have a bowel movement every 5-7 days before Amitiza after trying other prescriptions, Miralax and high fiber diets, and this medicine was a God-send. When I was recently hospitalized for two weeks, the hospital did not carry the medication and I had to wait five days to have someone bring it from home and have it approved by the hospital pharmacy to give to me, and I paid the price for being off it for that long. I am astonished when doctors have not heard of this medication because it has been my savior from constant constipation."

SuIIyX (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "I've had chronic constipation for 8 years now and I can go anywhere between one to three weeks without a movement. My doctor prescribed me Amitiza and I'm now having a movement every other day. The only reason I didn't give a ten is the side effects are brutal. I've eaten a full meal and drank water and I've still gotten terrible nausea and I've even vomited from it. And the headaches don't give a good impression either. But I would rather deal with that than the horrible constipation. Overall I love it!"

Anonymous April 16, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "After having chronic constipation for several years and having nothing but laxative, I was prescribed Amitiza. I have been on it for 3 weeks and can't take it. I have bloating so bad and am backed up that I must return to my laxatives. Back to the doctors for a specialist referral. Good luck to all others though."

Anonymous March 24, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "Have had problems for over 4 years. Nothing worked. Tried everything doctor said (gastro specialist), nothing worked. Finally a PA at a local clinic suggested Amitiza and what a change. No major side effects. Have even lost weight, more energy, no bloating and expecially no more digging the crap out just to get relief! No more bleeding and hemorroids from straining too much. Made me feel like a totally different woman. It also helped me control my blood sugar better. This is truly a miracle. Would not be without it."

Empty in AL February 17, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 26. I am now 37. It has only been the last year and a half that my IBS decided to SERIOUSLY kick in. I was going up to 7 days with no bowel movement and when it did come the only thing I can compare it to was labor pains. My insurance finally decided they would pay for the Amitiza. I have been on it just over a month now and the results have been WONDERFUL...I am more regular, the longest I go is 3 days but usually daily, and there is NO PAIN associated with it. Thanks Amatiza you have been a GOD SEND TO ME."

Anonymous February 5, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I had tried everything for irritable bowel syndrome -- cholonic treatments; stool softeners; magnesium; stimulant laxatives. The list is endless, but until I went on Amitiza, nothing worked well. I take the larger dosage at bedtime -- very mild nausea occasionally, but at least one bowel movement daily. This medication has literally been a life-saver."

Anonymous January 6, 2012

"I was extremely constipated and no one seems to know why. My GI doctor gave me Amitiza and it really helped me with the constipation but as far as my burping, passing gas and hiccuping is still a real problem. "

Anonymous December 26, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been taking this medication for a month now and I it works wonders for me. I had tried every over the counter product for constipation and it finally got to the point that my GI said I was becoming dependent on laxatives. I'm an active 26yr old but I have had two major surgeries on my stomach. The second surgery ended with me needing half of my bowel removed. I'm content with this medication. I worry about getting dependent years down the road. The only thing I don't like about this medicine is that after I take it my bowel sounds are unreal. It wakes me up from my sleep. I haven't had any other side effects that were listed above, luckily. I'd recommend it. "

Anonymous November 15, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been on this medicine about 3 weeks now. The first week I thought there was good progress, then things went back to more my norm of not going for days on end. My Doctor increased it to 8 mcg 2 x/ day, still not much change. I decided to take 3 at a time. Probably not a good idea. I had diarrhea within the hour, severe nausea, and a little shortness of breath."

Anonymous October 12, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "In the beginning, I was very skeptical about taking this medicine because most of the reviews I read were negative. Now, I honestly love it. The first week was a little rough due to the shortness of breath as well as the gasiness. Then I realized almost every medicine has some type of side effect until your body gets used to it after a few days or so. By the second week, I was fine. Before taking Amitiza I only had bowel movements every 4 or 5 days and sometimes it would take a week and I also had pains in my abdomen. But now I am going regularly and I feel much better about it. The only negative I have is that my insurance won't cover Amitiza."

Keke03 September 23, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "I've been chronically constipated since I was 5 (I'm in my early 20's now). I always went to Doctors, who kept saying over and over "fiber and water." Prune juice and normal laxatives (not stimulant laxatives) would have little to no effect on me. Amitiza makes me feel normal, and for the first time I can ever remember, I don't dread when I have to do a bowel movement. It's painless! I've solved this taboo problem that I have suffered with for my entire life! Its a great feeling to have relief now. I do get nausea and a headache if I take it without a moderate sized meal. I also get cramps and explosive diarrhea if I take it and then eat a lot of dairy, like a milkshake (I'm not lactose intolerant though). Despite this, I love this medicine!"

Ms. Chronic Constipation September 19, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "For over twenty years I've had issues with my stomach. Mainly constipation in spite of drinking plenty of water and high fiber diet. I've relied on eating five servings of fruits and three veggies a day and of course lots of liquids. I've been seen by lots of specialists until recently I was prescribed Amitiza 8mg. I tried it for two weeks then tried the 24mg as instructed by my doctor and found that the lower dose works better. I'm able to defecate at least once a day now, but I have experienced headache nausea and slight dizziness. Overall I do recommend it."

Irma T September 14, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "Has worked wonders! I have been using Amitiza now for 5 months and has relieved my problems!"

Anonymous September 14, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "Am taking maximum dosage and does not work for me. Never got headaches or stomach upset, but always took it with food and I do drink lots of water. What made me stop is the fatigue. It got to the point that I felt so tired it almost seemed like mild depression. Also my sleep is lighter that coupled with the fact I still seldom have real bowel movements has motivated me to go back to my fiber, water, flax oil regimen."

Anonymous September 4, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "Other than the expense, this medication is outstanding. No headaches or nausea for me. It is the first medication to not only soften and move stool effectively, but it seems to target that awful gas pocket that causes so much agony normally. I have a twist at the splenic flexure that is so tight, the gastroenterologist could not get the scope through, despite tripling the medications. So this medicine is a miracle. Without it, only surgery could get me this comfortable. Wish I could afford to take it twice a day. I only do that occasionally. Still have to use Miralax since I can't afford to take Amitiza twice a day. "

Caryopteris September 1, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Before taking Amitizia I had stomach pain every single time I ate, suffered from severe constipation, have gas and bloating. I take 24 mg twice a day and my pain has completely diminished, but I still have severe constipation and still get bloated every time I eat. The medicine does help, but not completely. "

jm1418 July 19, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "I take two 8 mcg capsules daily and it does work without any side effects except I have had some mild headaches but don't know if it is from the Amitiza or not. It has really helped with my constipation, but I do get quite a bit of gas and have to go to the bathroom more times a day, but that is better than constipation."

Anonymous July 13, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "At the age of 30 I started having severe constipation but have had mild constipation since I was 16. I was on Zelnorm with some success but find the Amitiza to be working for me with great success, a bowel movement everyday, which was rare for me. I find I have to maintain a healthy diet, yogurt in the morning(a must), and drink lots of water. I also take a probiotic pill OTC everyday to help with my extremely sensitive stomach. Things are in good order now for my stomach and constipation. The cost of Amitiza without insurance is $200 per month and with insurance I pay $50. Some minor side effects include immediate need to use the restroom and headaches. This medicine is successful for me."

San Diego Mom 40 June 28, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "I was taking 8 mg in the morning with breakfast and 8mg in the evening with dinner with 2 stool softeners before bedtime. Worked for a while then doctor told me to double the dosage with the 2 stool softeners before bedtime. This week, haven't had a movement for 2 days."

connie spaton June 23, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have lived for years and years with an issue that no one would identify as irritable bowel syndrome with constipation. I was always told to eat better and drink plenty of water. When it was figured out what I had, that doctor suggested stool softners and drink plenty of water. Then a sweet little physician's assistant prescribed Amitiza. This medicine works great even with the minimul side effects it creates. I experienced a little nausea some light headed times but all in all it is worth all this to finally be "regular". Before it was suggested I take this: I had read about it and several of the comments listed here. Thanks."

Anonymous April 21, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I absolutely love this medication! The trick I have found is to take it right before bed, then you can avoid the upset stomach and nausea. I know it says to take with food but I have been on this for over a year and it has been working great for me."

Anonymous February 23, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been dealing with chronic constipation for 6 years due to a muscle disease and pain medications. I have been on Amitiza for over 3 years now and have had no side effects at all. I have also had little to no problems with constipation since starting the medication. I would recommend anyone considering Amitiza to try it. If you have any side effects from it, I would bet they are better than dealing with the constipation."

tlbh1966 February 17, 2011