User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Birth Control

5.8

29 reviews
Summary of Mirena reviews 6.5 1,853 reviews

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I am 27 and have never been on BC. No kids. I decided to try BC. I didn't want to try pills because I hate the "trial and error" part of it and I am terrified of acne or weight gain and also I'm just not responsible enough to take it daily. I read sooo many mixed reviews about Mirena but I figured, what the hell, let's try. I love that the hormones are IN your uterus and not in your blood stream so minimal effects on mood. Your mood swings are in your head. No appetite change, no more acne than usual. INSERTION: I was soo scared of the pain I read about. I have a LOW tolerance. I took two Advil an hour before hand and my Doctor told me when the cramps were coming. You won't cry, you won't faint. 6/10 on cramp pain, lasted 5 mins. RECOMMEND!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 35 years old mother of 2 with extremely heavy, long cycles. On the pill prior to children. Decided not to go back on the pill after because I felt mentally better without mood swings. 6 years after 2nd child I had enough of the heavy, long cycles which have given me anemia. I decided it was time to dive right in and give the Mirena a try. I have heard women who love it and those who hate it. It was worth the try to me. But try to stick it out for the first 3 months as your body needs time to adjust. I took Advil prior to procedure. I experienced absolutely NO pain. I was aware my OBGYN was in there, swab, measure and insert but that's it. I did spot afterwards for a couple of days but no complaints. I believe an OBGYN should perform the insertion"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

For Birth Control "All I can say about this is, I'm not pregnant. I got this terrible concoction put in less than 6 months ago. The insertion was excruciating. I cramped for days. My menstrual cramps are different, worse than ever. I never had periods before, Which was great. But now I get them monthly. I want it out due to pain, mostly."

Jenrenken (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got Mirena because I had abnormal cells found in my uterus. I had always been regular as clockwork and beginning March I started bleeding heavy enough to fill the overnight extra long/absorbent incontinence pads! Did that for month of March and April pending Dr. appt. Mirena supposed to get rid of "bad" abnormal cells with progestin hormone only. Between biopsy and insertion of IUD (no kids) most painful experience ever! Have had light pink and brown discharge since insertion but had sex for first time with my husband in 5 months due to all this and now I'm cramping, bleeding again at slower rate - filling a light pantyliner, but when going to restroom pee to red water and blood when wiping. Feel like I'm starting over."

Unsure about me (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena on November 16th, 2017 and just got it removed today (June 8th, 2017). The insertion was extremely painful. In November when I first got it I weighed in at 116 lbs at 5'3, after 6 months I weighed in today at 131.4 lbs. This was without a doubt a result of the Mirena. In addition, I experienced horrible cramps for 3 weeks every month, my digestion was off all of the time, worsening acne, water retention, increased appetite, extreme bloating, a rash/hives all over my chest, lowered sex drive, sex was very painful and would restart my period, the skin on my nipples started to peel and I could feel it poking inside of me 24/7. I hated it, I won't recommend this to anyone."

Megannnn26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2017

For Birth Control "I have had 2 mirenas in the past, one before my first child, one after, and have just had my 3rd inserted today, 6 weeks after my second child. It has worked very well for me, completely takes my period away after the first couple spotty months. I do not experience any significant side effects, and was happy to switch to this from being on the pill for 15 years. I have depression and it has not worsened my symptoms, and actually has improved my sex drive. The first one my husband couldn't feel at all, the second one poked him a few times depending on position but we both agreed the benefits far outweighed the negatives for both of us - no period, no moods swings, no cysts on my ovaries, better libido, all of which were a problem on the pill"

Morganica (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I went to my doc because of heavy bleeding and horrible cramps. Have PCOS and polyps. Had a hysteroscopy, D&C, removal of polyps and had the IUD placed. All as a way of stopping the excessive blood flow (anemic as a result). Bled for 20 days straight. Then had the same period as before, no changes. I'm now 4 months out and I'm having a period every 2 weeks. This one I'm on now is so bad that I'm headed to the ER. I have been passing huge clots for 2 days now (like golf ball size and larger) in addition to passing enough blood to fill two overnight extra long/heavy pads in about an hour to two hours. I've also developed horrible acne. I do not trust my doctor. She acted like this was the perfect solution to my issues. Not."

PeriodDisaster (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2017

For Birth Control "Got Mirena October 2016 to reduce my typically heavy and painful periods. (Got tubes tied after baby number 2 so didn't need it for birth control.) Gained weight and got acne up my back and neck the next few months. My husband noticed I seemed more sad and lonely all the time. I got bladder infections every time I had my period until I started taking D-Mannose...and it had been years since I'd had one. Around the 6 month mark -- when they say your periods should level out -- I went from a period every 3 weeks to one every 7-10 days. After 8 weeks of this, I got Mirena removed. It has been 5 days. I'm still bleeding but my skin has cleared up already. My niece is looking into connections between her Mirena and MS-type symptoms she's developed"

agent7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had my Mirena IUD for seven weeks. The insertion was so painful I almost passed out, and I went blind from the pain during the insertion. Then, after that, I bled for a whole MONTH after insertion. After six weeks, I went to the ER due to the pain I was still in. It wasn't normal pain at all, and although I had exterior symptoms of PID, all the tests they ran came back normal and the ultra sound said it was properly placed. It just kept getting worse and worse until I could barely stand the pain was so unbearable. Went to urgent care as it was closer to my house. They removed the IUD and right as it came out I instantly felt better. I don't recommend this IUD at all! Some notes: I've never had kids. I was put on this for PCOS."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2017

For Birth Control "What a nightmare. Severe cramping for 6 months like I was in labour, daily bleeding for 12 months, fatigue, lactating breasts after 12 months and now pregnant. This is so garbage it should be removed from the market. It is disgusting it is legally being sold to unsuspecting victims."

charzie (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 1, 2017

For Birth Control "Mirena has been the best decision I have ever made. I was trying different birth control methods, depo 2 years, switched to pills realized I had a forgetful problem and a sensitivity to estrogen therefore I was led to long haul contraceptive. I had done progesterone only BC to stay child free in my young college life. So mirena seemed good option. I got it inserted at 18 I'm now 21 and I'm still in absolute love with it, it's me myself and my Mirena. Insertion was so painful not gonna lie. My periods are very light just like tiny amounts that only show up on toilet paper. Sorry but best way to describe it. I experience PMS symptoms for like a week or 2 leading up to these like fake no uterine lining periods. So yes that's what to expect. Definitely go for it."

Angggg (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2017

For Birth Control "Recommend!! I initially had the 10 yr IUD (2001) it was awesome, I barely even knew it was there. After that I got the Merena and liked it as well. I think the key is to make sure your OBGYN knows what they are doing when its inserted."

MasCharleston (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Mirena inserted to treat heavy bleeding & to prevent pregnancy. Before this I was taking birth control pills (sprintec) and stopped because they were causing significant hair loss and depression. Since I have stopped using them my hair has been growing back in. I have also noticed that I don't feel depressed as often). Mirena has been effective at preventing pregnancy but the dark brown discharge I get every single day makes me feel so disgusting that I have no desire whatsoever to have sex (it only stopped when I went back on the pill WITH the IUD but returned after 3 months when I stopped the pills again). To people who have menorraghia: please reconsider getting the Mirena IUD."

ak123789 May 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I posted an initial review 2 weeks ago. Quick recap the insertion was not painful...1st week I had 3 very painful migraines as I was adjusting to the hormone change. Only Advil worked for me. Wasn't much of a surprise being that I have migraines (not as bad) on my period. 2nd & 3rd week NO MIGRAINES. Just a few random & akward muscle spasms that last a split second. Bleeding only light enough for a panty liner every other day (2 days total). My bf does not feel it. Most imp, I am worry free of getting pregnant. Don't let these reviews get to you, every woman is different."

3kidz4now (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

For Birth Control "Mirena has been a brilliant alternative to taking the pill for me. I had it inserted 4 months ago and have experienced no side effects or problems since. I love the fact that you don't even need to think about it. I am a 26 year old with no previous children, I say this as it is often recommended for people who have already had kids. I am married and I plan to stay on it for about three years. The insertion process was a lot like having a Pap smear. It did not take very long however it was very painful (9/10) for about a minute. Afterwards I experienced a lot of cramping and discomfort for the rest of the day. I feel like although it was an unpleasant experience in the long term it is totally worth it. I never had major problems with the pill either however I did experience mood swings and a low libido. I also didn't like the fact that I had to remember to take it daily and I would often fail to take it at a consistent time. Since being on Mirena I have rarely gotten my period, (it has been nice not to think about tampons!) I did occasionally have some very light spotting in the first two months. I have been meaning to write this review for a while as I have been very pleased with my experience. I highly recommend it to others my age, it is a sensible, convenient option and I have been a much happier person ever since."

Bonnielass (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted 3.5 months ago. Your healthcare provider will inform you that the first 3-6 months after insertion can be rough, but I want to warn everyone who is considering getting Mirena that this is NOT a joke. If you enjoy bleeding for 2-3 weeks out of every month, then Mirena is the birth control for you. Since the insertion, I have not had more than one consecutive week without any kind of spotting or bleeding. I also want to add that Mirena was recommended to me because of severe cramps that the Pill did not alleviate, but my cramps with Mirena are worse. I sometimes get dizzy/lightheaded from them as well. Apparently this is all considered "normal" in the first 6 months and I am nearing my breaking point."

AS1995 May 26, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena inserted on 5/1/17, before been suggested by my doctor I was on a lupron injection, which was throwing my body into menopause , being I'm only 38. My doctor highly suggested Mirena . It wasn't a bad experience having it placed. I spotted at insertion, no cramps. However the next day and every day since I've had the worst cramps, I started spotting a week after insertion and haven't stopped, I've also noticed I'm starting to get acne . I see my doctor in three weeks, I'm seriously considering getting it removed. I got it to keep from having the surgery of having the lining of my uterus abolished. Really considering the lupron injection again, no pain or bleeding with it. I don't want the surgery , due to I'm getting married"

Mek38NC May 21, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had mirena inserted in December 2016 due to very heavy periods. I have no children and do not intend to. I'm 45 years old and my periods have not been lighter and my cramps are still awful. For at least 2 full days on my period I can not sleep through the night. I have to change my clothes, tampons pad and sometimes the bed sheets. I was hoping this would work but I am losing all hope. I'm giving it one more month and then going to the doctor again"

Ldisanto May 19, 2017

For Birth Control "I see a lot of reviews about the initial placement being painful, but I honestly did not a feel a thing! My doc talked me through it, counted 3 potential cramps. But I didn't feel any until immediately after & it felt no worse than period cramps. They lasted for about an hour. Then had a migraine for the rest of the day. Bled lightly. Day 2 & I have no complaints. Bleeding even ceased. I'm gonna do my best to push through any side effects, better than being pregnant again! Will post updates."

3kidzforNow May 14, 2017

For Birth Control "I've had it 5 months now, and I am getting it out next week. I've had some CRAZY side effects on this thing, the doctor swears it's local hormone release so Mirena can't be the problem, but its the only thing that's changed in my life. Insertion sucked but it wasn't unbearable, I had severe cramping after insertion. Since I've been on it I've had a decrease/change in libido, continual spotting, almost constant cramping, headaches every day, mood swings, increased levels of depression, a ridiculous flare up in acne, lower back pain, and achy/dry eyes (I wear contact lenses and I've never had this problem until the IUD). Doctor did not discuss any potential side effects with me before inserting."

vicnick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Age 23. I had my 1st Mirena at age 18 due to very heavy and painful periods. The first 3 years my period had stopped (can't remember after what month) with just a few days of spotting here and there. During the last 2 year of my Mirena insertion, my period returned. They were normal when compared to my periods before the insertion. So I had a new Mirena inserted 12/14/16. It's been 5 months and I have had very heavy periods every month with painful cramps. I have to empty my menstrual cup every 3 hours (when nomal periods can go 12hrs without emptying). I'm going to wait another month to see what happens but I might switch to the pill if this continues. Has anyone's period stopped after 6 months or a year?"

When will period end? May 12, 2017

For Birth Control "My experience has been horrible I've had it in for 5 months and haven't stopped​ bleeding I wouldn't recommend anyone to ever get the mirena and the cramps hurt so bad in my stomach and in my back"

Andrea2017 May 12, 2017

For Birth Control "First one worked fine, no periods and no pregnancys! 2nd one fitted!!! OMG I felt like I was losing it! I eventually worked out that my anxiety was linked to it! Had it taken out and ended up having 12 months of counselling. Always been a bit of a worrier but the mirena sent it to a whole new level!! Never again. I now know of 2 other people who experienced similar issues."

Fjb58 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2017

For Birth Control "I had a horrific experience with the mirena. The insertion was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. It was absolutely horrific. I was covered in sweat and I almost lost consciousness from the pain. The following 2 days, I took 3 ibuprofen every 6 hours and I was still in so much pain that I could hardly bear to eat. I knew I needed a stronger pain med but had no confidence I could drive myself to the doctor's office. 3 months later, I had my first panic attack completely unprovoked. I've had anxiety since then, and horrific, severe acne unlike anything I've ever had. Removal was just as painful. The strings were cut too short so I need to get it surgically removed under general anesthesia next week. I can't wait. I've had it for 5 mo"

Clarac123 May 9, 2017

For Birth Control "I was 45 when I had the mirena coil inserted. I'd never had children so it was painful but bearable. Everyone is different so just make sure you talk any concerns through with your GP. I had a very light period for first three months and occasional cramping but no worse than before I had the mirena inserted, after that I've had 4 and a half years period/cramp free. No side effects whatsoever. My 5 years are up so I'm due to have it removed. Have been told I'll experience the same level of discomfort in the removal so at least I know what to expect and it literally does only take a few minutes."

Alyn19 May 9, 2017