User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1349 reviews 305 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 322 reviews 169 medications

5.5
Summary of Mirena reviews 1671 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I agree with several others on here. I have had this inside of me for less than 2 weeks and I got it to help relieve my heavy cramping and periods. This only makes it worse!!! it's a nightmare. i have taken days off work because i am so cramped. my period has lasted 10 days now and no sign of stopping. The Dr's office put me on Vicodin to help relieve the pain but even with that within 2 hours i am hurting again. What a slap in the face. I cannot wait to get this out of me. I will take my regular period any day of the week! I feel so bad for the others who are going through this. :("

Morgan111 December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had the mirena for almost 5 months and I can't say it's for me. The insertion was not bad but bleeding for 83 days after was pure hell!! The cramps, both abdominal and back have been horrible even on the few days I don't bleed. After the 83 days of bleeding I stopped for about 4 days and it started again, it has been like a hit and miss as far as when to wear a pad and when I don't need to. To be safe I usually wear a panty liner everyday just in case. I keep hoping it will get better but it doesn't seem like it will. I have talked to my dr and she informed me it could take up to a year for my body to get"used" to the mirena and that I should just be patient and try it for a year."

Stephanieb39 December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena fitted 3/10/16 while waiting to have hysterescopy had it for 2 months with non stop bleeding everyday. Last few weeks I was depressed, angry, bloated, weight gain, itchy skin ended up asking a go to take it out. He said he didn't think my symptoms were from Mirena and that they are more than likely menopause. I'm 49 and had none of these symptoms until I had Mirena. I'm day 3 post Mirena not much has changed yet but so glad I had it out. Hoping to have hysterectomy soon."

MandieC (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had the Mirena for about 2 years now and for me, it's really a trade-off. I need to be careful with my medication not to get pregnant without planning for it. So the Mirena has been wonderfully effective in that regard. However, I can only rate the Mirena how I do because the strings poke. They poke my husband during intercourse, they poke me. On the inside. Like little needles. They also have caused my periods to turn into a 2 week long after-period discharge session. I also have seen no improvement in my hormonal symptoms. To me, it's a tradeoff."

Mariii December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am almost 24 and I have never been pregnant. I also work at an OB/GYN (so I have access to good information and doctors) I was on the pill, then the nuva ring, and back on the pill. These methods made me lose my libido and I started going through waves of depression. I was going to do paragard to get rid of the hormones in my body. My doc advised to try mirena instead, and I followed her advise. I took pain killers before and after the procedure. I also scheduled for the near end of my cycle. The pain on a scale of 1-10 would've been about a 6 (and that lasted about 1 minute). I went back to work, and I feel pretty normal. Everyone is different, don't let reviews sway your opinion, talk to a doctor first. Will follow up in a few months."

AudRose December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Just got Mirena inserted yesterday and wanted to share my experience. I think the best description I have heard of what it is like to get it inserted is it is like getting your ears pierced, sharp pain followed by soreness. There were 3 sharp pains, one when they clamp your cervix, one when they measure the size of your uterus, and one when they insert the Mirena. Each sharp pain was followed by what felt like a strong period cramp. The whole procedure lasted about 5 min. After that it felt like the first day of my period for about 5 hours but it was totally manageable, I even went and did some Christmas shopping right after. It is now the morning after and I have had no spotting or bleeding and don't even feel crampy at all!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am on my 2nd Mirena. I am 36 yrs old, no kids and never want kids. The insertion was very painful, but tolerable. I did tear up a little from the pain and I took deep breathes to help get thru it. I love the Mirena. I did not gain weight from it, however, I am a runner. No acne, no abdominal pain. I am spotting brown, but that's normal after insertion..for the 1st couple weeks. I did not get my period the first time around, so I am hoping the same this time. Not having a period for 5 years is amazing. This alone is worth the uncomfortable pain during insertion. Take 800mg of ibuprofen 1 hour before..it helps a little bit. But you still feel it...feels like the most painful cramping, you can ever imagine. Ugh. Ps. #never been in labor."

KDuff (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Just got Mirena put in today. Procedure took less than 5 mins. It was not painful as others say. I would definitely recommend taking ibuprofen before for the mild cramping. I could go back to work today but rather enjoy my day off. I will go back tomorrow. Maybe it is true if u had kids before it doesn't hurt as much. I had two children vaginally. Hope this helps someone. Also, u will have little spotting from procedure. Wear panty liner. Keep u posted!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have 3 children and decided that mirena would be a good option. I was on it about 4 years ago and was bleeding for 9 months and had it removed then hello miscarriage, then about 2 years later baby number 3. They told me it was put in wrong. I decided to try it again, so now I have had it for about 2 months and have been bleeding for about a month and a half. Worst birth control I have ever had!!"

RaelynnB November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am 30 years old and have never had children, I also have my tubes tied at the age of 26. I decided to get the Mirena IUD after I went to my OBGYN and told him that I no longer wanted to have a period. ( my periods didn't last long maybe 2 to 4 days, but the cramping was unbarable but the actual flow was light.) I have read all the horror stories on here and it honestly had me spooked. My OBGYN recommended The Mirena IUD for the reasons I stated above. Each person is different so each experience will be different as well. So I decided to get it done today. I had my doubts and voiced them with my OBGYN prior to my procedure. He told me that I should give it a try at least 6 months and if I really didn't like it I could always remove"

Atrixie November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena inserted 10/30/16. The doctor had trouble getting it in & it was an incredibly painful experience because I have never given birth and my uterus is retroverted (tilted back.) A couple days after I had it inserted, I started my period. I am currently on day #17, and I've had cramps for every day of it. Some days it seems to slow down and I think it's about to stop, but then it becomes heavy again. I bought a heating pad a couple days ago and it really helps to relieve some of the pain. However, it has also made my flow much heavier. (Maybe this will speed up the process?) I'm willing to wait until I've had it for six months. Hopefully the end will justify the means and I'll have five years of worry-free birth control."

EElizabethABC (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had 2 kids and knowing I don't want anymore any time soon I wanted a long term contraception. I was shocking at remembering to take the pill ( hello baby number 1 ) so decided to try the mirina. I got it fitted 7 months ago and I love it! The insertion was more uncomfortable then painful and was done within 90 seconds for me! I got a bad kidney infection after insertion but other than that I love it. I've no periods and other than tiny cramps every now and again I have no complaints! No weight gain, no mood swings, no acne. I'm glad I got it inserted "

Anonymous November 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just left my doctor office and got Mirena inserted. I took 800mg of ibuprofen and honestly you guys, I barely felt the insertion! I swear PAP smears are more painful than what I just experienced! I did feel a teeny little pinch but nothing like the stories I am reading here. Mind you I have two children so I hear its easier if you have kids. So far zero bleeding, zero cramping or discomfort. I should have done this years ago!"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Cut long story short - I'm 21 years old I've had a lot of problems with my left ovary since I was 14yearsold. I tend to get a lot of cysts on it yet my right ovary is perfect. My gynaecologist suggested that after trying so many pills I was still getting cysts and my periods were horrendous, to try the Mirina coil WORST decision of my life. At first they tried for 45 minutes to get it in and it would not go so I was told to come back in 2weeks which I did and again it took a lot of trouble and took 1hr and 25 mins until it was in place. After it was in it was just like period cramping. A week after this my stomach bloated making me look 5/6 months pregnant and the pain was excruciating! 1week after having it put in I've had it removed!"

Caits November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for 5 months. I HATE IT!! I've had my period for 2 months at a time with some light spotting in between. I'm experiencing abdominal pain all the time. I lose my appetite for 2-4 days at a time. Yet, I'm still gaining weight. I have literally no sex drive, and I'm always moody. I have had 3 kidney infections, 4 bladder infections and one cyst. Don't get me started on my acne, weird discharge and chin hairs!! I love the idea of 5yr protection, but this is NOT for me. Thankfully tomorrow my fianc"

OutgoingMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Hey y'all, I was on here a few days ago trying to read up and gather as much info before moving forward with the IUD. I had it done this morning and it hurt for about three seconds. It's been about five hours and I haven't had any cramping. I'm a mom of three amazing kiddos and my periods aren't heavy even after having a dnc to remove polyps. I wanted to give this a try and hopefully I won't have periods anymore. I'll post an update in a few days."

Beautiful Edge (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm a 26 year old mother of two. My doctor recommended the IUD six months after the birth of my second child. The very beginning when having it wasn't so bad but later I started to notice acne, I have never had acne my entire life so it kind of shocked me when I started breaking out really bad. There was no treatment for my acne, left my face with acne scars. I also experience really bad headaches. Last but not least before Mirena I weighed 125 pounds, a year later I gained about 10 pounds. I was slim and normally hard to gain weight but when having mirena I gained so much weight. I absolutely hate it and I'm very excited to get it out in two days! What an experience! Definitely hoping my acne clears and I lose the weight I've gained."

Xo a mother of two November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Terrible experience my periods have got so heavy I have not been able to go to work as the super plus tampon and sanitary towel need changing every hour. Twice this week had to change the bedding as double sanitary protection does not stop it going through pyjamas, sheets, mattress protector. Have been bleeding every day for 5 months."

Karenmcd10Radcliff November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I first decided on Mirena because I was terrible with take my pills on time. I was in nursing school and with my schedule all over the place I was non-compliant. I finally decided on Mirena even though I had read some horrifying reviews. On the day of insertion I had mild pain, similar to PMS. I took 800mg of ibuprofen and felt just fine. I had light spotting for 2-3 days after. Just enough for a liner, not a pad. It has been 2 years now and I absolutely love it. My boyfriend has never complained of feeling the strings. I have had some "pressure" during intercorse but nothing unbearable. I definitely recommend this, just remember, there is no protection against STI's, so get tested! Hope this help!"

Shaneal (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had my mirena inserted over a month ago now, and I thought I'd share my experience with you all! I am 28, mirena was recommended to me by my gp after a termination of pregnancy. I was a bit scared as so far couldn't find a hormonal birth control that worked for me. the insertion was very unpleasant, but not excruciating as the misoprostol pill I took 4 hours before dilated my uterus well enough for the procedure to be done quickly and smoothly. Haven't noticed any weight gain, acne, bloating or mood swings, so far it works pretty well for me! Only down side is the cramping/ovary pain that I would rank 6/10 painwise. Spotting is not intense, and actually diminishing so far. Overall pretty pleased with mirena :)"

Lucy_nz November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Inserted July '16 to control extremely heavy periods. Insertion-tolerable with a day of cramping. Within a week, I started having constant leakage-requiring a liner every day. Cycle 1-3 were lighter-but LONGER. (10+days compared to 5-6 days) I also started cramping, which I hadn't done since puberty. The leakage NEVER stopped. I scheduled a removal because constant leaking and wearing a liner every single day wasn't something I could deal with anymore...feeling unclean made being intimate with my husband very difficult. AND in 3 months I've gained 10 pounds. Sadly a family emergency required me to put off removal by a week. This 4th cycle is a nightmare. HEAVY bleeding with golf/ baseball clots. I wish I'd never had Mirena inserted."

Dnnomore November 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena inserted for the second time via keyhole surgery. First time I had inserted at my local GP - But had it removed after almost 8 months after issues. I've just had it removed because after 6 months it went downhill, I was irritable & emotional, having acne breakouts in my hair, on my face, chest & back, gained weight that I could not lose, migraines, constantly tired, having thrush like symptoms, heavy bleeding for 7 days at a time 1-2 times a month. So I finally got answers - I'm one of few with high sensitivity to it & reacted to it along with having a reaction to the cords (the thrush like symptoms). Just wish I had of been told that 1st time round! Instead I got told having it inserted differently would be more effective!"

Bears876543 November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have two kids my first was born and I was put on the pill ,took it correctly and somehow got pregnant when she was 3 months old. So now I have a 1 and 2 year old after my second I decided to try the mirena and it wasn't painful at all to have inserted just a little uncomfortable. But I had bleeding for 4 months straight so me and dh went 5 months without sex. And then after I stopped it was every 25ish days and it would last 2 weeks not heavy but the flow would go from normal to light during the day. I'm happy to be protected but it was a rough start my doctor just kept saying it's worth it to tough it out and I guess it really is I'm not preg and don't have to worry about it at all. I couldn't imagine remembering a pill or geta shot."

Janicedancegirl November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have used the mirena as it seems to be the most consistent release of hormones, therefor helping mood swings, acne, weight gain etc. I just had 1 removed and another placed. Never had children, and my cervix "falls to the floor" and to a side, so it's a bit more uncomfortable than some women. But, nothing that extra water and advil cant soothe. It is def worth 1 day of uncomfortable for 5 years of relief lol. My periods mostly stopped basically was spotting for a day or two after year 1. Prior to year 1, still light but lasted a day or so longer. My strings to the first got "lost" so dr. (Highly recommend an ob/gyn) used ultrasound to locate and and get it before replacing it. So, a few negatives but well worth it!"

Lmchugh789 November 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had Mirena inserted July 2016 have been spotting and bleeding ever since (Nov 2016). Back pain,nausea, cramps, clots, headaches, low moods went to Drs who told me to perservere to 6 months and see how it goes as they cost a lot of money and I can't just have them in and out. Came out feeling more confused as I don't want the symptoms and has put a complete stop to sex life. was meant to help with heavy periods not take my life away."

BeeR1 November 7, 2016