User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1178 reviews 281 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 249 reviews 162 medications

5.8
Summary of Mirena reviews 1427 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for a total of 10 years & I'm very pleased. The only part I don't like is the insertion process (yes, it can hurt, but it's a quick pain if you have a doctor that knows what they are doing), the bacterial vaginosis I sometimes get & the ovarian cysts. Everything else is great! I rarely have periods & when I do I just spot a little (I used to have very heavy periods & BAD cramps). I also haven't ended up pregnant. I highly recommend this form of birth control."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 10 years or more) February 1, 2016

For Birth Control "Had the Mirena IUD placed during surgery in June 2015. I had spotting and bleeding for a while afterwards. OB/GYM said it takes up to 9 months to adjust. Most recently very light periods, now no period. I'm told my hair and skin look heathier, I look like I'm losing weight, I've noticed my nails are growing. Most recently though my sex drive has decreased. I'm 41, and choose this because the man I was with couldn't use latex condoms due to an allergy. Overall I'm happy with it."

SassyK11 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Birth Control "Due to my age (42) and the need for contraceptive and relief from having my period last 2 of 4 four weeks after my second child, I was advised that the Mirena was the best option. I was concerned about having several fibroids which I was diagnosed as having when I was 30. So, Mirena inserted. The bleeding was inconsistent for 12 months. My doc said give it 3 mths, then 6 mths, then 9 mths. No change. After the first month it was noticable that my belly was sticking out. I gained weight around the middle that I could not budge. Had it taken out and felt normal again the next day. Then my period came, with a vengeance. I believe my body stored my menstrual blood which made my fibroids bigger than before. Back to the gyno for me."

Livvy28 January 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted in April of 2015. The insertion was painful for me, as I have not ever been pregnant and given birth. I had light spotting for two weeks after insertion and then when I thought my body was adjusting, I would spot throughout the following months. It wasn't until month 6 that the spotting stopped. It was also in month 6 that I discovered one mass in each of my breasts, one the size of a walnut and the other the size of a small gumball. I really did enjoy having no periods with Mirena, but I had it removed at month 9, with a pending breast ultrasound and mammogram at age 26."

Anonymous January 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted 9 months ago, and it has been the worst experience. This IUD will exacerbate stress, and I have periods for 10 days every month! I also noticed others were mentioning pain during intercourse and lack of libido: Totally!!!!!!! It is awful! I have no desire or energy, and when we do, I have pain in my lower abdomen in certain positions. As for acne, it has increased! I haven't experienced any issues with weight, although I haven't been actively trying to lose, and I have a fast metabolism. I have spoken to others who are taking it, and 1/8 people I spoken to kept it in after a year. They also mentioned panic attacks, severe depression, and lack of energy... "mood changes" don't take if u already have anxiety issues!"

Bad juju (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

"I went to the gynecologist for severe menstrual cramps. A few years back, I took the pill and completely hated it -- it made me so moody that it wasn't worth it. I got the Mirena IUD placed a couple days ago in hopes of getting rid of pain and heavy bleeding. I'm having some spotting, but it's only a couple days in. The insertion only took a few minutes and the pain was bearable. I would recommend taking the day off to lounge around due to cramping. Uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I feel fine today, no pain."

Ceeb (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Just got the Mirena three days ago, so not too sure how it's gonna play out yet. After almost two years of trying out different options to relieve my condition (dysmenorrhea), I sided with my doctor and went to the gynecologist to get it inserted... He basically told me I would get a small cramping sensation so didn't take anything at the time of insertion. It was an extremely painful experience, so much that I could barely stand after and had to have someone pick me up and drive me home. Spent the next 36 hours in bed, unable to move, in excruciating cramping pain with nausea. Could barely move or eat as it would send me straight to the bathroom. Currently have been feeling better since yesterday, but I guess we'll see."

taty12 January 28, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I wanted to share my positive experience with Mirena since there are a lot of negative reviews. All the negative reviews almost scared me off from trying it for myself. All women are different though and I figured more people who had problems would get online and complain than woman who had positive results. I am in my 40's, have 1 child and have a really bad problem with extremely heavy flooding menstrual periods. It had gotten so bad I was flooding thru every 2 hrs and that was affecting my daily life during that week. I had to do something so I went for it. Insertion was painful but over quickly. I had mild cramping that day and spotting for about a week. After that I had some discharge for several more weeks that I only noticed when I used the bathroom and then it stopped. I have had 2 periods now after insertion and they have been wonderful. I went from flooding to not even needing to wear or use anything! I have not had any side effects or problems. I am so happy that I did not let the negative reviews scare me off! Good luck to all the ladies who give it a try! Hope your experience is as positive as mine has been!"

mommamatin94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

For Birth Control "Insertion was excruciating. Severe cramps immediately and for two weeks after. Went to my doctor and she said "pain is relative"... :p Every month I feel that same excruciating dizzying pain when my period hits and have to stay in bed. If you can't handle monthly stabbing pains well...don't get the mirena."

In a lot of pain January 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I have tried every single BC method available and Mirena is by far the worst. My strings disappeared about 6 months after insertion, had to get an ultrasound. OBGYN said it was fine, but from then on I had no strings to check (as they recommend you do once a month to make sure it's still in place). I let it go because the benefits were still outweighing the negatives. Then I started getting just about every side effect imaginable. Mood swings, zero sex drive, acne for the first time in my ENTIRE life, weight gain that I cannot lose, non stop spotting for the entire 5 years. I honestly don't know how I made it 5 years. My doctor had the nerve to say I was "exaggerating" my side effects, but now without mirena I'm so much better!"

jnesser15 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2016

For Birth Control ""A textbook insertion" my doctor had said. A year of irregular periods and ruined panties did lighten my extremely heavy flow, so I figured it was a sacrifice I could live with. I'd had it inserted in Nov 2014 & about Sep 2015 my 3 week long periods had started. I was under a lot of stress & after 2-3 months of this I decided to call. They told me "your hormones can cause irregular periods" they suggested that I take 800 mg of ibuprofen twice daily for a week every time or get on more meds. Are you serious?? Jan 2016, I was on my period, I went to change my tampon and felt that something was still hanging out of me. Hesitantly, I took it out & it was my IUD. Now waiting on my appt, but will not trust again. Didn't get pregnant though!"

MY MIRENA IUD FELL OUT (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 26, 2016

For Birth Control "My experience: Painful insertion but I expected that since I've never had children. There was a lot of bloating, cramping, and breast tenderness in the first couple of weeks. I used Pamprin and a heating pad on my belly and that helped. About a week after insertion came the brown sludge and lasted about ten days. The first month was a study in misery but after that my periods stopped and it's been a breeze with some occasional light cramping and spotting. The only drawback for me personally is that I am 51 years old and perimenopausal so not having periods makes it impossible for me to track my cycle. But overall I am delighted."

jennybird64 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 26, 2016

For Birth Control "Got it put in November 2014, removed January 2016. I had 12 yeast infections, 1 E coli infection. Boobs hurt a week or so before my period then a light menstrual flow, gained 15lbs in my gut only. Insane pain in my right ovary. I hated it. Had implanon before but after 5 mos of bleeding finally got it removed and IUD put in. Removed last week started heavy period right away. I hated it."

Cranapple January 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I had this IUD implanted in my poor body Dec 12 2015. I had read the reviews and I under estimated the painful, not pleasant process. I began bleeding as soon as it entered my body. The cramps and bleeding remained for 25 days before I went to the emergency room and begged for it to be removed!!! During the holidays I was met with 3 massive migraines all within 3 weeks including Christmas day. I also began to get a pain in my left side along with getting up every hour to pee. The cramps were endless and the left side pain had me doubled over. It was removed last Sunday and I spent 2 days in hospital. Oh also a bladder infection. They stated it could be likely from the IUD. I had nothing but issues with this horrible little T shaped product!"

Lisa72 January 24, 2016

For Birth Control "This is my experience so far for anyone considering a Mirena coil. I ummed and erred for months because of negative reviews and my concerns were: 1) Would insertion hurt? The answer was no, I've had more painful cervical smears than the insertion of my mirena coil. 2) Would it mess with my monthly cycle? Yes, it did. I bled constantly, (in an array of colours!) for the obligatory 3 months that the GP told me to wait, until my body got used to it. Then it was another month before I finally went back to my GP and said "Help". She gave me a progesterone pill told me to take it for a month. I only took it for only one week! It did the job, I stopped bleeding and have gone on to a normal cycle. My periods only last a couple of days, do not hurt and are light, (just a smear of blood). I am 47 and compared to the heavy periods I was having before, it's a walk in the park. 3) Would I put on weight? No, not so far. I feel thinner around the middle. 4) Would I loose my sex drive? No, not so far. I was worried about this, however I am happy to say that I have noticed no difference. Sex is just as welcome and enjoyable as before. 5) Would I get spots? No. The doctor told me that this was less likely because the hormonal content is tiny and localised to the womb. She was right. All in all it was the right decision for me. I am very happy. I hope this post helps others."

lucycatmac January 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 27 with no kids. I do not want kids and never have. I wanted something long term that was more reliable than the pill and wouldn't mess with me in the way the shot does. I've had Mirena for several months now. At first the cramping was odd and painful, nothing I couldn't handle, it would happen sporadically and would subside after a few minutes. A few months into it, its pretty much gone. No periods and minimal spotting. It was literally, for me "stick it and forget it" I'm very happy with it. No weight gain, no acne, no mood swings. I'm still my regular self. For the insertion I was really scared and my OB gave me something for nerves. Honestly it just felt like a deep cramp. I didn't feel the pinch. but its different for everyone."

NoBabies (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2016

For Birth Control "Had Mirena inserted Mar 15 hoping for a relatively low maintenance BC option. I had a very regular, 28 day cycle with 5-7 days of heavy bleeding. Insertion felt like a hard pinch. For the 2 weeks I had shooting, sharp pains that left me in a ball on the couch & w/ heavy bleeding. For the next 6 months I spotted or bled almost 3/4 weeks a month & had heavier bleeding for about 10 days during those 3 weeks. By Sept it seemed to finally settle into a 3.5 week cycle but bleeding would be heavy or have spotting for 10 days. Thanksgiving I started bleeding, & bled almost daily until I had it removed mid Jan 16. Day after removal, severe bleeding, giant clots even w/ being on mini-pill. Day 7 had to take progesterone to stop abnormal bleeding."

MissMylissa January 23, 2016

For Birth Control "No problems. I still menstruate here and there. But overall no cramping..maybe some temporary gain weight during menstruate days like usual. But overall great. I got pregnant as soon as I removed it and put it back after my second baby. And still no problems."

Love 7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "changed my life for the better"

theonlymermaid January 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have Mirena for over 6.5 years due to my heavy periods because of uterine myomas. I just replaced new one over a year ago. I had natural delivery of 3 kids, so extraction even with hysteroscopy and insertion was a "piece of cake" for me. Did not sense anything. The plus sides are that it does the job and I have no excessive bleeding nor get pregnant or having any physical discomfort at all. However, I have several other side effects. Bad mood, low sex drive, weight gain over 25 kg and never gone down (I got 10 kg in first 3 months after first insertion), insomnia (cannot sleep at all without sleeping pill), my migraine have worsening, all body swelling - particular face and eyes (like I was heavy crying)......"

etoncev January 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I just had the Mirena inserted today around 3:30pm. The insertion procedure was painful for me but I only took Ibuprofen 30 minutes prior to insertion which may explain why the insertion was as painful as it was for me. The CNM who inserted the Mirena was very helpful explaining everything that she was doing while she was doing it during insertion of the Mirena. I have had cramping but Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen did help with that and just a little spotting. I have endometriosis also and I was not aware that it could spread to my pelvis and even as far as my lungs. I chose Mirena due to the fact that I gained a lot of weight using Depo and the pill and because it could help with my endometriosis."

CNA1979 (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Let's see here...first of all, I wouldn't even give mirena a 1 but 0 isn't an option. I had it for 2 long, excruciating, miserable months to help with my heavy periods. I lost my sex drive completely, bled the entire time. Had terrible back and pelvic pain, mood swings, not stop migraines, extreme hunger, no energy at all, severe depression and if that's not enough anxiety and panic attacks. I would absolutely not recommend this to anyone at all. So terrible. Think twice before you have this placed."

Cb2885 January 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had Mirena for going on 4 yr in June and love it! Insertion was quite uncomfortable... But not bad! I never have suffered from bad cramps and continue the same (except 1 night having extreme discomfort.) My boyfriend picked me up from the couch and took me to bed... I was in so much pain.... Constant most horrific cramping... Crying myself to sleep... He wanted to take me to hospital! And I have had 2 kids 1 vag 1 c sec. But I just wanted a dark rm and sleep... Woke up the next day normal! Only bad experience the whole time! Periods have ceased at moment... But usually monthly until 2 months ago pretty normal until stopped! But I do recommend and give 10... Even with the 1 night! Implanon was bad... Constant period!"

Bcoe January 19, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding " My doc thought I would be fine with this with no kids, also selling the idea of almost no period. Insertion wasn't too bad, Xanax and 1000mg of ibuprofen, made it a piece of cake. Barely spotted for 5 days and thought it was amazing. I heavily bled for 63 days straight after those blissful five days. I had debilitating cramps, taking at least 2000mg of ibuprofen a day half the time. Day and night sweats, stress and anxiety out of nowhere, sleepless nights. Since then, I get my period for 9 days, AFTER about 4 days of spotting. Then 2 weeks it starts all over again. I bleed after sex. Turns out it made my body go through pre menopause... At 28 yrs old. Making an appt tomorrow to remove!"

RainyWA January 18, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had Mirena placed in December of 2014 for endometriosis. Bled 15-20 days out of the month. 9 months after placement started to have severe hip, low back pain and nausea. Had severe PMS and a lot of hair loss. Turns out it perforated my uterus and I had to have emergency surgery. I would not recommend this device to anyone! Horrible experience with it and I wish I never had one placed!"

Katie Hicks January 18, 2016