User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1290 reviews 296 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 298 reviews 169 medications

5.6
Summary of Mirena reviews 1588 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have always controlled my periods and the heaviness of them with the pill. When the pill no longer worked to Control my heavy bleeding and huge clots, the mirena was suggested to try , otherwise I would need a hysterectomy. I have to say the mirena is the best thing I have ever done. I wish I done it years earlier. Once inserted , I had a light period every second week, for about 6 weeks. Then nothing, no period at all. I do get slight spotting maybe every 3 months . Honestly this is the best thing for my health. I feel so much better , no more pain, heavy bleeding, clots or anemia and I have much more energy."

Maree Victoria (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 13, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena IUD inserted January 2016 due to heavy periods. With the IUD my periods were lighter but lasted 2 weeks. My moods changed severely and I had cramping everyday during my 2 week periods. I have developed acne cyst on my face, sex had become painful and I began to bleed after sex. I had become miserable. Four days ago I had my IUD removed. The string had coiled and my doctor had great difficulty getting it out. Since its removal, I started with very light spotting. I am in day four and I have heavy bleeding and I am passing HUGE clots. I am experiencing gushing which causes me to fill up pads within and hour. I'm dizzy, have no energy, bloated and a constant headache. NEVER AGAIN!!!"

UGH!!! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Had the mirena in 5 months now, okay so before I got that, periods would last sometimes 3 weeks at a time, and I'd be in pain most of the month .. so early days. . I had my mirena inserted at the same time as having a laparoscopy for endometriosis. . So I wasn't walking much that week anyway, and then my first two cycles (months) with the mirena the cramping was so bad it felt like I was being sawn in half with a chainsaw (no joke) but no blood or spotting whatsoever .. 5 months down the track.. no pain at all and no spotting and has been like that for the past 3 months.. reason for not giving mirena a perfect 10 is because I've definitely noticed extra hair growth.. but nothing tweezers can't fix.. but it is noticeable to me"

Izibella (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had the birth control IUD mirena placed just after my six month check up after having my baby! No problem having it inserted but I do NOT recommend this to any breastfeeding mother! (Yes, every body and hormones are different for everyone) however, this almost completely dried up my milk not even a month into having it inserted! Thankfully I realized it in time and had it removed immediately and was able to get my milk supply back! Anyone who breastfeeds knows how hard it is in the first six weeks so I didn't want to give up what I worked so hard to get! Also, I felt it made me very moody and irritable all the time! Having it taken out was an extremely quick process and I never felt a thing! Always trust what your body is telling you!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Don't let all the negative comments scare you away, bad experience are much more likey to reported than good, everyone's body will react in their own unique way, and this is a great product if it works well with your body. Due to a family history of breast cancer I was given the choice between mirena and implanon which do not rely on estrogen. I have never had children so while the measuring of my uterus and placement of the IUD were near painless, the 2-3 days after were full of sever cramping. Before Mirena I had fairly heavy periods and these slowly became occasional spotting. I've had this for 4.5 years with no side effects that I've read about on here and I still have middle pain and all the symptoms of a period without the mess."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena for 2 months now I been bleeding the whole 2 months. It finally starting to lighten up. I have gain 15lbs and it makes me eat a lot. I had really good eating habits before I got this. I was thinking of another contraception but my doc told me give it sometime. I had pains in the beginning not anymore. If I could stop the weight I would be OK."

Lee86lee August 10, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was put on blood thinners due to a PE and had heavy periods that were leading to anemia. I needed something non-hormonal to stop the blood. Mirena was reco'd as it contains the hormone in your uterus rather than bloodstream. The first month, my period lasted a while, but was overall lighter. 2nd month, I had a super light period. 3rd month...unexpected heavy bleeding, but I wasn't clotting, so I didn't think anything of it. 4th day in...clots between golf ball and baseball size. Doc couldn't find strings. I had to get a depo provera shot because it was assumed it came out in a clot. Ultrasound today revealed it is still in there, but strings are not visible. I will probably have it taken out because as others have mentioned, the sciatica."

Jess12345678 August 9, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena IUD in for 5 years now, so it's time to get it removed. I have LOVED using this form of birth control......once it's in, you're set for 5 years. I've had virtually no periods the whole time, except for an occasional light day. I would totally get another one if I wasn't contemplating having kids. I highly recommend this birth control method."

Hazel Roni (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Hello everyone, I got Mirena inserted 4 years ago as of this Nov 2016. It's been great. My period before Mirena was 9 days, set to a stopwatch, heavy, with cramping that made me vomit and pass out for several hours on a 28 day cycle. It was impending doom and very easy to track. Now my period is very sporadic. I just started a "cycle" 2 days ago with terror cramps and heavy flow, but last time i had this kind of period was 8 months ago. In between has been spotting or nothing. The negative reviews are really negative and the positive reviews are really positive. Everyone has a different body and it's hard to go off of reviews and see how yours will respond. Do your research and understand the risks. It was the best choice I've made %u263A"

Tazrazzimo289 August 7, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Had mirena put in at 6 week post partum check up as directed by doctor. Had lots of bleeding for 10 months. Abdominal pain was present talked to doctor said my body had to adjust. Then came the bloating it came and went along with the pain.. Intercourse was painful not to pleasent some times. Had 3 uti's while I had it in. My skin was in the most beautiful state before I started and dramatically changed.. My face became very oily and developed acne. My hair began to fall more than usual shedding. I had to go to the doctor because I couldn't feel it.. She ran ultrasound the strings were flipped. I had gained 30 lbs those 2 yrs. Right after I had it in even though I breastfed for the life it was in. Once I had remove all is getting better."

minnesota brunette August 3, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I received the Mirena today finally, I had been looking at the reviews and they wasn't good reviews so decided I was going to give it a try anyway. Everyone has different bodies along with different symptoms I went in an my doctor told me my uterus was tilted and I was going to feel a sharp pain which I did it felt like a huge cramp and it took the breath out of me but that's the only reason why it hurt that much was because my uterus was tilted other wise it wouldn't have been that sharp. I laid there for a min and got up I had cramps but the cramps stopped due to me taking ibprofen which helps a lot. I am bleeding which is normal and it's not heavy if you've had a child before and your epidural didn't help you can handle this pain."

BellaxGoddess August 2, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had 3 x Mirena's now. Love them. First 2 were great, no pain to get done, bled on/off for a couple of months then no bleeding for 5 years, no mood swings, perfect. I had one put in last October and was in excruciating pain that night. Doubled up in bed almost vomiting from pain. I have a high pain tolerance. It has settled down but have only had only a couple of days break here and there from bleeding. I never went back to my Gyno for my post check up which I should have done. I went to see my sisters Gyno last week and told him how I'd been having trouble so he checked and can't find iud. Going in for surgery Friday to get it removed and a new one done. Wouldn't be without one now. Advice - if not working how it should get it checked."

Sunshine4422 August 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Had it placed May 2015, minimal pain - a pinch and a menstrual-type cramp, and it was done! I had it removed July 2016. During those 14 months, I had no period whatsoever. No cramps, no PMS, no spotting. Never a discomfort at all! So why did I take it out? Within 3 weeks of insertion, I gained 12 pounds. My GYN said it had nothing to do with the mirena, I "just wasn't being honest" with myself about my food intake. The weight gain continued about 5 months and topped out at 35 pounds. I was exercising and monitoring my calories this whole time. My PCP put me on meds to lose weight, to no avail. It finally dawned on me that it must be the mirena, despite what my GYN says!! Had it not been for the weight gain, I would have kept mirena forever."

Pinkygirl176354 July 30, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Insertion was quite painful. Cramping, although no bleeding. No period at all for the first 6 months. My first period was about 5 days long & very light. But I gained 5 lbs since I got it. Food cravings are ridiculous and I recently developed an unbearable odor coming from my cervix. Monthly, I'm supposed to check the string to make sure mirena is still in place, and doing so after my first period, there was a thick white discharge that smelled sour and wouldn't go away even after douching daily. I got myself checked for an infection because it was accompanied by itching when it first started (no multiple partners) I thought it was a yeast infection, but I was clear; no infection at all. I think the bad outweighs the good for mirena."

Ali___ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 29, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Only reason why the Mirena gets a star is because I didn't get pregnant. Extreme pain on implantation, and I have a high pain tolerance. I experienced extreme dizziness, headaches, mood swings to the point of breaking down once a month, cystic acne, headaches, and extreme bleeding. Constant cervical irritation and bloating with no sex drive. Would never recommend it, even though it did its job. I was convinced it was misplaced based on the horrible constant symptoms. When I went to have it removed the nurse acted as if my symptoms were crazy, she had never heard such a thing and my IUD was placed "beautifully" and tried to convince me to keep it. I could have killed her. Final got it removed and back I'm back to being a healthy 28yo."

Cleighangotti (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Over the past 8 years I have tried almost every method of birth control. It started after having my baby boy in 09'. I selected to have the Mirena put in after realizing that the pills would be to constant for me. Within 6 months it had implanted into my wall and I had to have surgery to have it removed. (Painful process) over the next 6 years I had gone from using the pill to the shot and having three more children. I recently decided to asked my Doc about getting my tubes tied and he had suggested the Mirena for the second time. I was very apprehensive after he had mentioned it so of course I brought up my issue. I elected to have to it inserted and am now happier than ever. No issues so far and we're past the 6 month mark!"

Momma of four! July 27, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had mirena placed 13 months ago and I am soooo happy. Before mirena I had absolutely horrific periods and bled more than I could handle. The cramps were unbearable. Because I am not able to remember to take a pill everyday my doctor recommended this. The placement, not going to lie, hurt a lot. Taking motrin beforehand did not help at all, but I got through it and only had some slight cramping afterwards for a few hours. For the first month and a half I bled, which as first was worrying but eventually it stopped and since I have not had any bleeding at all with the exception of they tiniest amount maybe twice since. I no longer have to use anything, not even liners. I still get light cramping but it is absolutely nothing compared."

issomething July 27, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I just got my Mirena and could not be happier. I was apprehensive of the pain due to horror stories that seem to be everywhere. DO NOT BELIEVE THE FEAR! First of all, I have a male gynaecologist. If you're unsure about a male, have no fear! Mine was amazing and spoke frankly but honestly and really comforted me. I had been advised to take 15mg of Murelax and some ibprofen. Although I had taken the Murelax as directed (1 hour prior) my nerves were still extremely high. My gynaecologist, he said he would administer a local anaesthetic to my cervix. This really spiked my anxiety. The ENTIRE procedure was done in about 3 minutes. It was really a 2/10 "pain" and more discomfort. I've had appendicitis & the implanon. This was a walk in the park!"

AnnieeeBee (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had the mirena in since April 2015 and been in pain since it was put in and worse for the last 4 months. Finally got around to having an ultrasound only to find out it has broken and now penetrated the linning of my uterus. There is a 2 week wait at the hospital and thats just for the referral to be looked at. Also because of the irregular periods i now have polycystic ovaries. All of this will effect how i raise my son for the next few months as he has quadriplegic cerebral palsy so lifting him and attending to him daily will be effected. Do not get this form of contraception if you havent explored all the other possibilities."

Jumi27 July 27, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the marina inserted 4 months ago due to heavy blood flow and frequent bleeding. I have been bleeding EVERY day since. It really defeated the purpose of having it inserted being that I am having even more blood flow. It's really hard to have a sexual relationship with my husband, while bleeding every day..... I'm honestly ready to have this removed!!"

Tricia_P July 26, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had a Mirena IUD for 5 years. It was very uncomfortable and I would not recommend it. The removal "string" was like fishing line and jabbed into me all of the time and gave my husband abrasions. To reduce my daily discomfort, my healthcare provider cut the string short which made removal more difficult. I had a greenish weeping discharge that lasted the whole 5 years that made me think I had some kind of wound. I resented my husband the whole time I suffered this device, but I was too busy with work and kids to remember to take birth control pills. It did prevent pregnancy and not having periods was sort of a bonus. I developed metal sensitivities during that time. It cost about $500 to have it removed thanks to my husband's employer."

WorkingMomto3 July 26, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 42 & decided to get mirena to control heavy, clot bleeding. Its been a month now and my first period cycle. My period is very light & the right side pain is gone and no cramps. My periods are a few days longer though. I feel physically better& I was hoping my periods will disappear all together. Is that possible?"

1973Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have to say.. After reading reviews I was a little terrified to get Mirena inserted. However, my ob is really good and it wasn't a big deal at all! It was uncomfortable like a pap but it was done within a few mins. I gave birth 8 weeks ago and he said this was a good time to get it inserted because my cervix is still soft. So maybe that's why it was no big deal for me? So far, no cramping, slight spotting. I'm not sure about the long term effects of the mirena because I've only had it in a week. So far, so good!"

Cooperam July 17, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Merina inserted for Heath issues as I have heavy clot ( bleeding )  I had the Merina inserted under sedation for $490 and on day 24 it had dislodged ( I did not have months prior and post insert ).i called the clinic and told them that it dislodged and that I was feeling unwell with a fever,nausea and cramping they told me that they needed to see me within 24 to 48hrs but the were booked out and advised me to see my GP for antibiotics and painkiller while waiting to see them .6 days after it dislodged they saw me,gave me an ultrasound and said 'sorry this has happen ,and couldn't understand why it has'.The doctor that Had performed the insert was very nice and compassionate and sent me to see the receptionist regarding the re-insert and pricing if any.  I saw the receptionist  I asked them if they can do another one and was told yes but I'll have to pay $490. I said that it was no fault of mine and that they need to do it for free or under Medicare . Heartlessly they showed me my signature that I had signed the disclaimer that this can happen and that they won't replace it free of charge or under Medicare . No compassion, very cold when presenting me with the documents that I signed.  I was so upset and devastated that I burst out crying and left the clinic cos I can't afford to pay for another one . Never again will I deal with them ."

DevastatedNik- July 17, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had the mirena put in 3 years ago. The insertion was extremely painful (I haven't had kids) and I had bad cramps for 2-3 days after. After getting over that first hump, I didn't get my period again for 3 years which was awesome! However, it did cause me to develop cystic acne which I didn't have before so consider this possibility before having it put in. If you aren't acne-prone it's an awesome form of bc!"

Liz193748383 July 15, 2016