User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1319 reviews 300 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 314 reviews 169 medications

5.5
Summary of Mirena reviews 1633 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "Hi! I wanted to write my experience bc i was scared to get the Mirena after reading all the horror stories. I'm 37 and have 3 kids. I got the Mirena inserted yesterday on my lunch break, I work at the hospital where my doc office is. It took less then 10min. There were 3 bad cramps, the second one being the worst but only lasted 30sec. I did not cringe, cry, curse or anything like that. My doc told me when I would feel each cramp. I was back to work 20min later and felt fine all day, spotted a bit but only wore a panty liner. I took 4 Motrin 1hr prior to insertion and haven't taken any since. I hope this helps bc I really do feel some ppl come on these sites and try to scare you. Good luck to everyone!"

Anonymous October 21, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena placed about a week ago. I am 19 and have never had kids before. I previously was on two separate birth control pills for two years but decided on something more long term. Prior to insertion, NOBODY informed me to take any pain medicine beforehand. Not only did it hurt worse than any pain I've ever had before, but I passed out and vomited immediately after insertion. After about an hour of drinking straight water, the cramps were hardly bearable but I went home. Moderate to severe cramping the first couple of days but have since subsided. For 5 years of protection the pain is worth it, just do your research and be prepared."

Shay3676887 October 19, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena January 2016. The insertion wasn't painful (I had a baby in November if that matters) I bled for 3 months straight. And the cramps were very painful I hated it. Sex is super painful for me and I can't do it for long at all. I get headaches almost everyday, and I'm very moody. BUT, this birthcontrol is 100% effective for me considering I use no protection with my boyfriend and he doesn't use the pull out method. And I have gained alot of weight since I got it. Im debating on getting it removed but Im scared of ending up pregnant again so Im sticking with it for now!"

Sabrina Dotson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I love it!! Insertion hurt like hell, but it was only like 30 seconds of pain. After insertion, I had terrible cramps for about 20 minutes- I had to lay in the doctors chair the whole time until they subsided. After they went away, I was completely normal! I had the Mirena inserted on the HEAVIEST day of my period (day 2), and the next day the bleeding was gone. I normally have my period for 5 days and this thing stopped it in its tracks! Having gotten the Mirena inserted for this problem specifically, I am so happy. After having the Mirena inserted (and in turn going off the pill), my sex drive has skyrocketed. I wanted to have sex like crazy the day I got it inserted lol. The pain is SO worth it in the end!"

Best decision (18, no kids) (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena IUD for 1 yr 4 mo. The insertion pain wasn't too bad, but starting immediately after insertion, I had stabbing knife like pain in my lower right side which brought me back to my gynecologist one month later in tears. I was told that the Mirena IUD was not responsible for the pain, and ultrasound confirmed it looked normal. I suffered from chronic pain leading to NSAID induced ulcers, complete loss of libido, breakthrough bleeding 20+ days per month, & depression. I was prescribed additional medications and was scheduled for exploratory surgery. One month ago, I had it removed, and was reproachfully told it wasn't going to help. Since then, I've had no pain and no bleeding. Mirena did not work for me."

Cottontail87 October 16, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena coil fitted and can honestly say best thing I've done!. Of course the fitting of it is very uncomfortable, but I had a great doctor who talked to me and kept my mind off the process. For the sake of 10 minutes of uncomfortable fitting, for 5 years of not needing to do anything for protection I will happily go for this again. After the fitting it was just like strong period pains on the evenings for a week, but now I can't even tell it's in!. Honestly yes it hurts to get fitted but it's worth it!."

Emma p October 15, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had this thing in for about 2 years aND at 3 I get it taken out. At first it was great and then about a year and a half in I started bleeding heavy... everyday. I have terrible cramps, back pain, mood swings, weight gain, and worst of all constantly bleeding. I am scared to go to my doctor because I feel as if my issue isn't important but honestly I can't take it anymore. I set up an appointment and will get to the bottom of this. I can't even explain how much pain it's caused me. I hope someone can explain these symptoms to me because I just don't understand what's wrong with me."

Reyna r October 12, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had mirena placed today. I took the recommended 800mg of advil. The pain was horrible at insertion. Now keep in mind, I am 33, and have not been pregnant. The pain didn't last long, but will forever haunt me. It had been 12 hours since insertion. Cramping is almost gone, but I do feel bloated. Not much appetite, which is good! I just wish they would have warned me about the discomfort of insertion. I have access to strong meds, do to other health issues, and could have medicated more appropriately. Time will tell is I like ot. I have been on birth control since I was 16ish. I have done pills and vaginally rings prior to this. I hear good and bad about it, but staying positive."

CrazyChickenLady October 12, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "It is safe to say that after reading these reviews I was more than a bit anxious about the whole process.Eventually I decided that until you try then you'll never know; everyone is different. It was the insertion process that had me worried, but it turns out the discomfort is only very temporary. I've had worse (and longer lasting) pains from sports injuries. The whole process took about 10 mins and, during the application, it felt like having very bad period pain cramps. After the process was complete it just felt like mild period aching, nothing unmanageable. One day of carefully taking paracetamol and ibuprofen was enough. Enough so that I was able to go to my sports training! Since then there has only been mild aches every now and then"

Hilly16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been struggling to get the right birth control drug for 9 years.I tried anything with lot of Estrogen to less everything with less Estrogen and more Testosterone. I started to get headaches. I did not think much of it at first, but the headaches got worse with each year going by and the increased severely towards having headaches each day - whole day. My headaches effected my job, my concentration, my relationship, any outdoor activities, sport & exercise. It got so bad, I used to wake up with them, go to be with them and drink pain killers just to get through the day. My doctor recommended the Mirena. I went ahead with the Mirena procedure. It changed my life. It has been 2 months since I had a headache.I am truly grateful!"

Terrible Headaches (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "The mirena IUD has changed my life in the most positive way I could imagine. The insertion was the most painful experience of my life (never had children or been pregnant). I have PCOS and had very spontaneous and elongated periods (sometimes the periods were up to 60 days) it was very embarrassing for me to randomly bleed, for the sake of my underpants and sexual partners. The mirena was very painful to get inserted and I had cramping for two months following. Almost 12 months having mirena and I am absolutely in love with what it has done for me. It was rough at the start but now I feel absolutely amazing. My embarrassing periods have completely stopped and my partner feels absolutely nothing. Seriously recommend to all of my friends."

PCOSseekingAnswers (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 6, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Just had a baby aug 11. I had the mirena put in oct 6. There was barely any pain. My Doct did tell me that women who have had a baby are able to have it done with a lot less pain."

sally96 October 6, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I quit the pill five years ago after years of gross side effects, and just followed a fertility chart up until end of 2014, when I got pregnant. We decided to use condoms after my child's birth, but I've never cared for them. My doctor encouraged me to get an IUD, but the very thought of it horrified me. After a year of mulling it over and dealing with very heavy periods, I decided to go for it and try Mirena. I had it placed today, and I feel great. Absolutely no part of it hurt until the doctor had to stabilize my cervix. That part was awful - it felt like dilation during labor. I breathed through it and stayed as relaxed as I could. That part was about a minute long, and as soon as she unclamped the cervix, I felt completely fine."

F3arle$$ October 5, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "To be honest I don't know there so much negativity about the mirena. I am 23 years old and went from the depo to the mirena. Yes there is pain at the time of the insertion but not something that Advil cant take care of. After the insertion I drove to work and took an Advil and worked for the rest of the day. The insertion was about a month ago and the bleeding is so light its noticeable only if I wipe. Don't make any decision based on what you read because it is not as bad as everyone here makes it."

AshleyDerisse September 29, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Today is September 29 2016. I have always had fairly normal periods, minimal cramping, minimum bleeding, lasting 5 days tops. Last year my period started skipping a month here and there. I get my December period and it doesn't end. Fast foward to May 2016 I have a d&c doctor thinks this will help the prolonged bleeding. It doesnt. 1st week in September I get the Mirena IUD. A month later my period is even worse and the cramping is awful. Im experiencing back and leg pain and I'm an emotional mess. Should I stick it out? So many have said it's worth it after 6 months to a year. I didn't want it to begin with. I wanted an eblasion. Doctor said insurance would fight paying for it since Ive never had kids. Any advice?"

Jes85 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "My first Mirena, I had for 5 years. insertion was simple, no pain no complaints until Anxiety and ovarian cysts started, they were the worst, but I managed. I am now 33, had my 2nd one inserted and cramped, spotted or a light period for first 4 months. I ocassionally have periods. Had a cyst rupture the other day and anxiety is getting pretty bad again but I tolerate it. Its been a little over a year and the other night the strings cut my boyfriend! I was so embarassed, he told me hes been able to feel them the whole time. So careful with this, I can handle a few things, but a 2 inch cut on him is not something I can deal with. Loved the worry free birth control but its time it must go."

Anonymous September 28, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have issues with heavy bleeding as result Mirena IUD was inserted 18 months ago. My bleeding issue has completed been gone. I get a very light period every month and am very happy with that. Since my bleeding was so heavy, my other option would be hysterectomy. My frustration is the weight gain, I've gained 15pounds since this was placed. I'm only 5-2 and workout every single day and watch my carbs and take a very low calorie diet. In spite of this, I still continue to gain weight. I have constant bloating and terrible water retention. All my weight is in my stomach and thighs. I have an appointment this week to get it removed, however I'm scared of having the heavy bleeding again."

I'm 46 year old woman September 25, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I can't take oral hormones due to migraines. I have also never had children. Had the copper IUD inserted when I was 25. Had no problems with it. Switched to Mirena after 5 years. My periods are always between 28 and 32 days. I did not have any troubles with insertion and only took Advil before the appointment. I have had no weight gain, no negative effects at all. I did not have any coverage and have spent over $1000 on IUD's...completely worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Switched from combination pill to mirena after 5 years on the pill. I'm 27 and have never been pregnant. The insertion was. the worst thing I've ever experienced ! Almost fainted. The following 8 hours I had really bad cramps (never really had them before), I'd say a 8/10. Also threw up six times and got diarrhoea. Strange! The following 5 days light spotting, then light period (as planned) for about a week. It's now been almost 8 weeks since insertion, got my second period which was very light compared to being on the pill. Apart from the horrible insertion I'm very content with mirena, absolutely worth it! Also much cheaper as my pill cost around $10 each month and the mirena only $70 for five years, perk of living in Sweden."

Christina046 September 24, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got my mirena placed today and while time will tell what happens my insertion experience was nothing like the majority of reviews I've read. I am 31 years old and have 2 daughters, youngest being 19mo. I had absolutely no problem with insertion. I share bc i saw so many posts about pain and cramps, and while everyone is different, it's not that scary. I will follow up, but i will say this was nothing more than a pap to me. Mom's, i feel great, happy and I'm not gushing like I've heard happens. It's been most of the day and I'm barely spotting. Much luck, be safe, but don't be turned off by everything you read ☺"

Justwanttohelp September 24, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Today I went in for my IUD Mirena insertion, and I have to say it was a bad experience for me. HOWEVER, here's my situation, I have only had ever light and short periods. I have never experienced cramps or sharp pains during my period. During the procedure I had insane cramping right away and I felt like I was going to be sick from both ends at any minute. I had trouble waking and was in crippling pain for 5hrs, and am still in slight discomfort. But from what my mom and the doctors all said apparently that's just what bad period cramps feel like. Ie if your use to bad periods this may be easier for you, but if not you may have a bad time like I did. I suggest bringing a friend with you in case."

pom419 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I felt like I was pressured into getting Mirena by my doctor. Pills are easy to forget and I would still get nervous about pregnancy while taking them. This experience has been a nightmare. I am on month 4. At first it was bleeding and cramping for a month straight. Then I started getting very mild yeast infections. They would get worse and I would have to either get treatment or try to use home remedies (lots of probiotics). Every time I talk to my doctor she tells me to wait it out. This is my 3rd yeast infection in a month, maybe 5th or 6th since May. I have only had yeast infections in the past while on antibiotics and they would go away without treatment. Too good to be true for me :/"

BummerMirena September 22, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Jumping in here to mention a symptom I don't see listed. Backstory quickly: I had the Mirena IUD inserted a little over 3 months ago. Insertion and cramping not that bad and everything was great up until my first period came about two weeks after insertion (this is where the strange symptom came into play). On top of bad cramping and heavy bleeding, I had terrible colon and rectal spasms (Sorry for the TMI). It ranged from uncomfortable to extremely unpleasant, like lightening bolts going through my body. The period lasted for almost three weeks but the rectal spams lasted consistently for another month and still happen every few days (on top of almost constant brown discharge). Overall, not happy but also not pregnant. Win some, lose some?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the Mirena for almost 3 years now. Insertion wasn't a problem. However, at my next annual exam my doctor told me he didn't see the string anymore but assured me it's not a problem. I had spotting each month in the beginning. Very light and would last about 3 days. I also experienced heavy discharge in the beginning. Now I have no spotting, no discharge. I did gain weight from it. Lately I have been experiencing severe cramping which I can only describe as almost feeling like contractions when you're about to give birth. They're that bad! Needless to say, I have scheduled an appointment with my OBGYN and I may have it removed. But overall, it's an effective birth control."

KaiLeysMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 21, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "No periods, no major side effects(only a little weight gain). I had it for over a year before my 1st and only child in may 2014, and after giving birth, in total 3yrs and I love it. I'm 25yrs old."

Anonymous September 19, 2016