User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1259 reviews 295 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 288 reviews 169 medications

5.7
Summary of Mirena reviews 1547 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "Ever since I had the mirena I had really bad pains stabbing shooting pains in my lower stomach and down my legs heaviness and pressure on my stomach and on my lower legs I could not walk the pain was so bad I couldn't stand I got an ultra sound to see if had a cyst my results came back normal I got the mirena out today and I can finally walk and function"

Laurenm3 June 28, 2016

For Birth Control "So I'm on my second week with Mirena. I'm 26 and have never had a child, so insertion was horrible. I consider myself to have a pretty high pain tolerance, but this sent me for a loop. I got dizzy and clammy and almost passed out. Thankfully my best friend was with me and was able to talk me through it and drive my ass around for the day. The after cramps weren't unbearable, but still very uncomfortable. I only spotted for a few days afterwards. Last week was a breeze. I had no problems at all. Last night I started feeling cramping, like I was dreaming and could feel them in my dreams. I woke up this morning and the cramps were super intense. I got to work and too about 1,000 mg of ibuprofen because they were bad."

Megs2289 June 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I just had my first mirena replaced. I had it for 8 years! It was expired but the doctor said it was ok. After 8 years my periods began to come back. 8 years of no pregnancy, no periods, and no complications. I just had it replaced today and once again it was a horrifically painstaking experience but well worth it. Hopefully this one works for me as well as the last one did."

kristyx0x0 June 23, 2016

For Birth Control "18. PCOS I am sorry to say that I would not recommend the IUD to anyone! I got mine inserted on a Wednesday and the following Monday I ended up in the ER In the middle of the night in excruciating pain! It took the gynae team 3 days!!! To figure out what was wrong! They even tried to discharge me and tell me I was fine!! (I was not impressed) The IUD had became dislodged from my uterus and my uterus kept contracting to try and expell it - no doctor required to remove it... It basically fell out- only upside - I was having bleeding for 5 months and it stopped 2 days after the IUD insertion but still not worth it in my opinion!"

Katiec1997 June 21, 2016

For Birth Control "PROS: Discreet, no pregnancies for 5 years, no daily pill reminders, covered by insurance. CONS: BV LIKE CLOCKWORK! My period remained the same ( 5 days) which could be a pro for some. **Prior to mirena I was on the pill. After my first child I knew I wanted to go long term birth control. Apparently it works but I just can't deal with the constant BV. When I have intercourse with my husband he CAN feel the strings inside. If you have a sensitive system like myself, I'd look into other forms of birth control first."

CiCi93 June 12, 2016

For Birth Control "Cons: Very painful to insert (I have not had children) and the strings bothered my partner. I could feel it when bending and being active and had frequent albeit mild cramps during said activity. Had it removed after a year and a half. Pros: No period and no pregnancies."

Becky00042 June 11, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had Mirena for 3 months now and I have been bleeding EVERY DAY since. They said 3 months of Irregular bleeding and spotting, they never said anything about having a perminant light period. I'm so over it...."

Fed up and over it June 9, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had my iud for 4 years now and have recently been experiencing sever heavy bleeding for the last 3-4 months. Other than that it has worked"

Ali.m142 June 8, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had the mirena for 18 months now. I am getting it removed on Friday. The 2 major reasons is weight gain (10 lbs) that is a lot for me as I am a personal trainer and it has killed my sex drive! I have always had a higher than average libido and for the past year it is gone. Not worth it to me. I would rather have my painful periods back!!!"

AmeliaRowlans June 8, 2016

For Birth Control " I got tired of taking the pill so I figured this might be a great alternative. Boy was I wrong. Yes, it kept me from getting pregnant but it gave me bacterial vaginosis on every other week...and I only had it inserted for a month and a half! I would get the BV treated, and it be right back like clock work. Also, my partner reported that the strings were uncomfortable and they poked him during intercourse. Glad to report that 9 months after I have had it removed, I have not had a single stint of bacterial vaginosis and I am sticking with the pill."

BriB (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2016

For Birth Control "Insertion = Sucks No periods or pregnancies for 5 years = Awesome Best decision of my life."

Desireer15 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2016

For Birth Control "Even though I love it now, I gave it 4 stars because of one thing: The insertion. That part sucked BIG TIME (I'm 21 and never given birth, so my cervix has never stretched prior to this). However - if you can handle 30 minutes of pain for 5 years of birth control, I HIGHLY recommend it! I love it so much!"

IUDRating101 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

For Birth Control "About a year ago the gynacology doctors recommended the mirena to me because I was having heavy periods...got it done, wouldn't stop bleeding for 4 months went in to get it removed it was missing...one year later my bleeding still wouldn't stop, I get admitted every 2 to 3 weeks for blood transfusion..would not recommend it even to my worst enemy....my biggest regret ever!...now Iv been told the only way to fix me is to get a hysterectomy!..."

Pearl99 June 5, 2016

For Birth Control "I am on my 3rd mirena. Best thing I have done for my health. I experience very minor spotting. No full periods! No crazy weight gain. Love love love....except insertion/removal. Having had no children it's painful but after a day or two of cramping I'm back to myself again. My partner appreciates the lack of a full period."

beedee84 (taken for 10 years or more) June 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Weight gain, depression, hair loss, migraines, anxiety, cramps, non stop bleeding for 4 months now. Thursday it comes out and I can't wait. "

Taintedlove924 May 31, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had mirena for a month now, other than the off and on bleeding I've experienced no crazy hormonal changes or weight gain. I was worried to start a birth control with heavy hormones because everything I've tried when I was younger really packed on the pounds. After giving birth to my little one I decided mirena was the right choice for me. I'm super happy so far with my choice although I can't wait for the constant bleeding to stop but I know it will with time. I also felt nothing with the insertion process but I think it's because I recently had a baby."

Kikivv May 29, 2016

For Birth Control "Reasons for the 9/10: 1) Cramping/spotting for 4-6 mos. My 1st time on Mirena, no period for 4yrs! 6yrs later, &6 days into 2nd Mirena I've got typical cramps/3.5d menstruation. 2) It could fall out/re-position itself in the cervix, (down from uterus). 5mos after a copper/hormone-free IUD, I found out that this had happened to me and I switched back to Mirena. Many people have had adverse effects from this med. incl. depression, anxiety, mood swings, constant spotting, painful cramps+. Having 5 years of experience on this med., then switching to a copper IUD for 5mos, I can say that Mirena has HELPED my depression/anxiety. Every body is different. Plus I'm not going to get pregnant! So, all in all, I'd recommend this to anyone."

Stlouisrach May 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted in 3/2014 at my 6 week check up after my son was born. The insertion was not terrible it was kind of like long papsmere with some cramping along with it. Afterwards I spotted for about 5 days and that was the end of that. My period went on normally for the next year slowly decreasing in flow and length. During my time on the birth control I experienced mood swings, hair loss, weight gain, inner aching, numerous ovarian cysts, and more yeast and bacterial infections than I can keep count of (over 30). I finally had it removed in the beginning of May 2016 and I feel a million times better. Yes my first period was very heavy and clotty but when it was over I felt 100% better. Different strokes for different folks."

Happier Without It (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "After years of having my periods every 2 1/2 weeks i decided to try the Mirena as a last option. I've had it in for 6 months. Its so great not to be bleeding all the time but I'm not sure if its the Mirena but i have gained weight and i continue to gain it and its freaking me out. I've been exercising and eating really well but I've slowly crept from a size AUS 14 up and up. I actually probably eat less than before the Mirena. Going to the dr to suss it out. Its not just the weight gain though. My hair has thinned dramatically. Next step hysterectomy."

Jadles123456789 May 24, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got Mirena inserted about 3 monthes ago and I am so happy that I did. I had been on 4 different types of birth control pills and each of them affected me differently. I gained weight, had terrible mood swings, didn't have a sex drive, and was always fatigued. Now that I have gotten Mirena everything has changed... I lost almost 10 pounds now back to where I was before I ever started the pills! I weigh around 122 and when I was on the pills I weighed 132 and I was miserable. Mirena has made me have light bleeding here and there but my doctor said that it is just my body adjusting. I am very satisfied with it and I hope that it treats me well for the next 5 years!"

CarolineG May 24, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 25 (2016) and got it inserted in December 2014. Insertion: a painful procedure for a tiny insertion. Followed by intense discomfort and pelvic pain, constant bleeding and pelvic and vaginal pain. Symptoms: first month or so nonstop bleeding, mood imbalance. 3 months. Continued frequent bleeding weight gain of 5 pounds. 6 months gained 15 pounds 1.5 years gained 20 pounds ( vegan, fit although no weight loss or maintenance) Experienced depressive symptoms such as lack of excitement, happiness, and lack of interest in previously preferred activities, fatigue and lethargy. I WAS GIVEN AS A METHOD TO TREAT NOT ONLY MENNORAGIA BUT OVARIAN CYST PAIN. REMOVE AS THIS IS COUNTERINTUITIVE AS ONE OF THE RISK"

Crohnscyster (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Im 41 years old with irregular bleeding. I have had mirena in for 9 months, and so far so good."

mature women (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "i had this in under duress whilst having camera n biopsy..within 24hours i had headaches felt hot and flushed...over 4 days i felt really bloated and down...haf it took out after 6 days and instantly felt better"

michelleg45 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Love love love it! I got pregnant while using nuvaring so I wanted a bc that was much safer, well I found it!!! I hated it the first month but everything after that has been a breeze! 1000% worth it! I recommend to all my girlfriends"

nomorebabies (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Was slightly uncomfortable during insertion, but not unbearable. Experienced mild cramping afterwards and spotted for the next several days. Was ok in the very beginning and has since maintained it's contraceptive purpose, but spotting began again and never stopped resulting in having to use panty liners daily and dealing with it irritating the skin. On top of this is hair lose, bigger appetite, irritability, cramping, and fatigue."

ElfieM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2016