User Reviews for Lamictal (Page 7)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder

Epilepsy
6.6

Summary of Lamictal reviews 7.9 460 reviews

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been struggling with ups and downs since I was 17. I mostly experienced a constant state of unhappiness and bitterness with bouts of exhausting excitement and over confidence during short episodes. The depressive episodes were getting more intense with suicidal attempts and I was told many times I could be bipolar yet never really addressed it. I was put on lamictal 5 months ago and it saved my life. I have a new job, my mariage has been saved and I feel very stable, myself still but only the good parts are left. Amazing. Coupled with therapy it's like a second chance at life!!!!"

Ben82 October 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "So my first seizure was when I was 13, I have tried many meds but this one seemed to work the best. BUT as the years have passed, my memory has been going a lot and it seems to be getting worse and worse. I took it upon myself to stop the medicine cold turkey (I'd been on for 5-6 years now so its NOT recommended).. and yet I haven't had any symptoms of a seizure and my memory is starting to come back. My sister was also on it but for depression, she almost lost her eye sight because she missed 1 day of taking it. So please be careful, and do your research on each drug that you are about to go on."

ChristiR September 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have just started back on Lamictal. It made a huge difference steadying my mood, calming my anxiety and allowing me to focus. However, it really dried my out. My skin because quite itchy, and dry and my mouth felt like a desert (bad breath followed). I felt itchy all over, and ended up getting a rash on my face, which turned into a lump which had to be removed. My Dr. said that I was taking too much (200mg twice a day). I took time off Lamictal, and my moods started to fluctuate after a while (not straight away), and my partner took me aside and told me that it was time to get back on it. I have modified my dose to 2 x 50mg which sees me through the day and the evening and the side affects had basically gone."

EduardoSanchez September 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Lamictal for hmm... ~5 months now. I feel it has seriously been one of the most helpful things in my life. I feel very present to the moment, mostly calm, and overall.. content. It basically just improves my personality. Some side effects though. Terrible memory. Seriously. My perception of time is all out of whack too. I said I have been taking it for only 5 months but that is so hard to believe! It feels like I've on it for at least a year. Oh well. I still like it because lifestyle doesn't require a sharp memory. If your lifestyle does require sharpness I advise against taking this."

Agent 700 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I developed epilepsy from a blood clot hours after a operation for a brain Tumor. I tried epanutin, poor side effects, keppra which didn't seem to work. I am now on 325mg morning and night, my grand mal siezures are reduced to head shaking and nearly no side effects after the seizure, I'm 14 stone, a doctor told me I could go to 350 twice a day, but I don't know, I have always had them every three months, thankfully 90% when I'm in bed. Multitasking and memory is effected but I can live with that as it's not bad. I heard doctors say max 325 twice daily, but he thinks I can go to the 350. Thoughts?"

Bernard ave September 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have suffered from bipolar disorder for more than ten years but only recently sought help for it because it was getting way out of hand. I was put on a few different medications in the beginning, including Wellbutrin and Risperidone. Those eventually made things worse so I opted out of that treatment, and was prescribed Lamictal. It took about a month to fully kick in, but I have noticed a huge difference in my mental state. I have not had a major depressive episode since starting treatment. I have not gone manic yet. For the first time in many years, I feel normal; I get happy when good things happen and sad when bad things happen. My feelings are not influenced by my illness anymore (at least not yet). Thanks, Lamictal!"

that one girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on 200mg of lamotrigine for 5 years. I also take 50mg of seroquel at bedtime which also helps immensely with my insomnia. And yes, it took a moment to pull that last word our of my brain and I do goof up words sometimes, but so do all the other alcoholics I know and love. I self medicated for many years and it worked even better after quitting 2 years ago. I still am a little manic, and vaguely depressed under stress, but this treatment has been a lifesaver. I highly recommend giving it a try if your unhappy with your current regimen, but you'll have to give it time. It took me about 6 months to get the full benefit."

seg109 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I have been taking it for many years now for tonic clonic epilepsy and had been well for 3yrs. However out of nowhere last week I had 4 seizures had did some major damage. Has anyone else had this I also take Epilim ."

Cemore (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was given Rx for lamictal when we finally discovered I had cyclothymic disorder vs. Generalized AD and MDD. I felt great on effexor xr for awhile, then was having severe anxiety (I thought) which turned out to be a bipolar episode. We added lamictal and decreased my effexor from 300mg to 150mg. Now I am able to recognize my cycles and take 150mg of effexor from October to march then 75mg effexor March to October. I take 150mg lamictal all year and 1mg klonopin at bedtime every night to sleep. I am also allowed 1 klonopin daily as needed but rarely need to use that. Lamictal is my wonder drug!!! After suffering for 20 years trying to figure out the right combination of meds to feel good I am on track!"

MamaReddd September 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal, I feel it has truly helped with ONLY my depression (why I rated a 10), and not with my mania. I actually feel a bit more inpatient with situations and anger grows stronger faster. I have also read that this medication can actually make mania worse."

AlyJ August 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "All I can say is that I am quite pleased with this--sure hope this drop foot that I have is not related--but I still think I'll keep it--too tired to face another hospitalization ;"

Winged August 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal rocks! Been on several different meds for bipolar and was beginning to feel hopeless. But doctor changed me over to lamictal and after two weeks I feel like a new and normal person! No more manias and only slight depression episodes rarely! Love it!!!"

Robindav August 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Currently, I'm prescribed to 100mg of Lamictal, 200mg of Zoloft, 10mg of Adderall IR, and 20mg of Adderall XR. I originally started on Lamictal at 25mg, and it had little affect on my mood stability. I believe it triggered a mixed state episode until I was prescribed 100mg. About two months in, it's been a lifesaver. My moods feel very stable, I am generally happy, and I am able to take care of myself with little resistance. I am also motivated to regularly run errands. (I do believe it may have made me slighty manic.) Prior to Lamictal, I was on 25mg of Abilify, and it was ineffective and made me very tired. I had poor hygiene, I was unable to interact with others or be in public places, and I had difficulty keeping up with housework"

RacingThoughts (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I take 80 mg of Geodon, 25 mg of Topiramate, 40 mg of Prozac, 50 mg of Trazadone, 200 mg of Lamictal, 100 mg of Vistaril, and Xanax as needed for anxiety. The Lamictal helps me the most out of any drug I have ever been prescribed. I was on 50 mg of Lamictal and went through a pretty rough depression, I felt catatonic and didn't care about anything - I felt desolate. I am now taking 200 mg and I feel so much better! I have more energy, I have a genuine smile, I feel like my old self again...or, pretty close anyway."

Jessicathelibrarian August 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal worked at 25mg seems like every 6 weeks it's time to up dosage, currently at 250 and raise to 275 in week. Is there anything out there I can take with lamictal, I don't want to gain weight. Anti depressant is a med I take also"

divey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I've been on Lamictal for a few years and while it eliminated all my daytime seizures my night time sleep seizures continue. I spoke to my neuro and he raised the dosage to 400mg..But I was a zombie with no memory, aphasia, and confusion. Finally I went back to 200mgs and decided to just live with the nighttime seizures. my dr suggested using Xanax to control them. It worked. The odd part that they occur every six weeks like and last for about a week... Anybody else has such regular onset?"

Jaynea July 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Had severe depression..anxiety. .and elevated mood swings for years.just started meds in my early 50s. ..Lexapro..gradual doses..at first began to notice results in all 3 areas..but extremely sleepy no matter what time i took it...it seemed to level off at about 50% effectiveness...than slowly decreased in its effectiveness. .went on Lamo...more energy..but mood swings came back..no patience or tolerance again, forgetfulness...and anxiety. ..rambling thoughts in my head continually. ..I am returning back to my original prognosis. ..didn't find it to be of help at all....up to 200mg...really don't want to keep experimenting...not sure of next step. .."

over this (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I am so glad I was prescribed Lamitcal two months ago after struggling with bipolar disorder for the majority of my life. I had been getting progressively worse over the years with manic cycling frequently to the point I couldn't function. I was very skeptical numerous medications over the years. I thought nothing would help and within three weeks my life completely turned around. The constant edge is gone, I'm calm, thinking clearing and I feel in control. I am so grateful this works for me, hope it works for you."

LJDW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Deeply depressed for 7 months after a manic period of 7 months. Would come home from work and just go to bed and stay there for 14 hours until it was time to go to work again. Taking Bupropion in the AM without effect in increasing doses for all 7 months. After titrating up the Lamictal through the increasing doses as required, the fog lifted 3 days after I started on the 200mg dose. Thank you modern medicine"

ThisIsReal June 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed bipolar II a little over 4 years ago. I was manic for a long time, I'm talking 2 years. With episodes of extreme depression. I wouldn't take my medications and ended up in and out of several mental health centers at several hospitals, well over 10 hospitalizations. I was a reckless mess. I can't even remember a lot of that time period. I was losing everything along with my mind- I was gone without a doubt. I saw this Dr yet can't remember his name, while in the hospital and he was so nice and didn't want to sedate me like I had been in the past. He put me on lamictal for the first time. This was 3 years ago. It saved my life. Works within the first week. Seriously the best mood stabilizer ever."

Italygurl June 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I have started taking lamotrigine with the intention of weaning myself off phenytoin. Unfortunately after 2 weeks and 2 days I have had terrible side effects, splitting headaches, vomiting, nausea, dry mouth and extreme irritability "

Megster June 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on this drug for 4 weeks I notice very subtle changes. I've titrated up 25mg a week every week and I'm currently taking 125 mg. I still am probably 3 weeks away for full effects but I am noticing some good things. I no longer think about killing myself all day and I have less anxiety than I did four weeks ago. I feel optimistic that better days are ahead. I also take ativan for anxiety but will likely discontinue once I'm at the key mg amount which I believe is 200."

HMD321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This is the best mood stabilizer I have been on!"

Ty-Ty June 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have Bipolar II, with gradioise mania and severe depression. After about a month of taking Lamictil, my moods stabilized dramatically. At one point, I supplemented with Abilify, but have recently been able to stop taking and now rely on Lamictil solely. I attribute Lamictil to saving my marriage and career; it scares me to think about how my life would be without it!"

GingerQuackle May 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have only been taking this medicine for a week but I am 100% a totally different person! My husband has been as patient with me as humanly possible but I could see that my constant anxiety, depression and crazy up all night crying feeling like I was a person that couldn't be loved by anyone begging him to love me (he would just sit there and say I do love you baby with all my heart) but it was pushing him further and further away I am 23 and have been in emotional and mental hell since I can remember with sick and demented dreams. I have tried several different meds lexapro Wellbutrin seraquil xr Xanax Zoloft. I'm now on celxa and lamictal and I feel like a new person my Dr saved me my relationship, my life and my family!!"

Beautifuldisaster2015 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015