User Reviews for Hydroxyzine (Page 9)

Also known as: Vistaril, ...show all 10 brand namesAtarax, Vistaril IM, Hyzine, Vistaject-50, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistazine, Vistazine 50

Allergies

Anxiety
5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 798 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I battle depression, anxiety & severe insomnia also allergies. Knocked me out cold & my allergies seemed under control anxiety a little better. Problem I couldn't shake being extremely tired the next day. All I could do was sleep which doesn't help with depression."

KL 2 September 30, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Doesn't do much for my anxiety or promote sleep (I take a dose at bedtime). Vistaril is basically prescription Benadryl."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2017

For Anxiety: "It helps me sleep but the next day I have trouble breathing. It's almost as if it's hard to exhale but easy to inhale. It's like the weirdest sensation ever. I wonder if I'm allergic to this medication. I do suffer from heart arrhythmias."

29yoldFemale (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed gabapentin, Xanax and hydroxyzine for insomnia. I was weaning myself off from Xanax and the withdrawals and cravings were terrible. I tried hydroxyzine for a night and the next day, absolutely no cravings for Xanax. Not only that, the depression and anxiety, GONE. The vivid dreams are plus. I wake up feeling meaningful and full of hope. I spent the day focused and productive. The next day was the same! This is a miracle drug. I had no idea hope is a chemical."

sproutbun September 28, 2017

For Anxiety: "Ok as a first time user I'm going to give my honest answer based on usage for 3 days now. So my doc prescribed me these because I have developed anxiety disorder. Well, I decided to take these when I start to feel panicked. After 20 minutes or so. I'm easy. Thoughts simmer down. Mind stop racing and negative thoughts seem to push to the back and not to the front as usual. They make me feel mellow and laid back..Mind you. I'm not a drug user of any type so that's probably why they work so well for me. I keep them with me all the time. They don't make me drowsy. However, if I'm relaxed. I can definitely dose off. I recommend these if they are the only medicine you are taking. It seems to work best in my clean system. Hope this helps"

StickyTrouble (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I’ve had severe anxiety my whole life but was never put on anything till about 7 months ago. I was also diagnosed with bipolar, so when I’m manic and having a extremely hard time falling asleep this medicine works. But for my anxiety, which it was prescribed for, doesn’t do anything except make me pass out and not want to do anything for days! It also makes me fall asleep at the drop of a dime, for example while driving! This may work for others, but it’s definitely not the pill for me when it comes to anxiety, though for when I need to get some shut eye it works great!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2017

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Sedation: "This drug works wonders for me. Was prescribed 25 mg for anxiety and to help me sleep. I take it occasionally, when I feel anxious or worried at nighttime or just have problems falling asleep. I feel so calm, relaxed and sleepy :) Only bad thing is the hangover I get the next day. I feel like a zombie. But if I don't take it too late at night there's usually not a problem. I will need a good 10-12 hours of sleep on it though. 24 year old female"

EmmaJosefina93 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 26, 2017

For Sedation: "I got hydroxzine prescribed by request after experiencing what feels like a never ending benzodiazapine withdrawal, when 6 months off the benzos passed and I was loosing my mind I decided to research safer non addicting central nervous system depressants out of desperation. It was hit and miss at first with the insomnia it seems to work better after a few days of continuous use and calms some other symptoms down as well, if you get this prescribed and it doesn't work at first give it a few tries. It works even better the farther out you get from your discontinuation date from the benzos, some days this meds dopes me up like a drunk and I don't care for that feeling but its a much better place to be then a have a wide open nervous system"

Benzo withdrawal sucks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2017

For Allergies: "As for me, I've been struggling with allergic rhinitis and my doctor said it was hereditary so every now and then I have it when triggered with less sleep, stress and poor nutrition. Now to the results, it just works wonders for me since my rhinitis usually pairs with acute bronchitis so it's very hard for me to sleep because my nose is clogged and I have to breathe with my mouth and it can be one of the worst things because my cough would then be triggered by the dryness of my throat. Every time I take Iterax(Philippines brandname) I can finally sleep smoothly without being disturbed and helps with the itchy but hurting throat and clogged nose. Hope this helps. Been a living witness to this medication"

J.Angela September 22, 2017

For Anxiety: "Speaking as a parent my son has anxiety so bad he was hurting himself, he's 13 with Aspergers so it hard for him to express emotions even though he's been going to therapy and a psychiatrist for 8 yrs...This pill has been a life saver for us, it relieved his anxiety and his allergies...The doctors are pleased as well considering one alternative was to place him in a psychiatric ward"

Leo's Mom (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

For Anxiety: "I got my prescription for anxiety. I'm a first timer on these type of meds so I'm cautious. I finally decided to take it tonight because a horrible situation raised and I can't sleep or focus. I must say it's been about 25 min and I'm feeling a little better( thoughts not racing as much) but a little sleepy. I don't know if I'd take this during the day. I'll post an update tomorrow if you care to keep a lookout!! Just trying to help someone maybe- as I experiment."

KeBess (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

For Sedation: "Honestly , This works pretty well for me. It really decreases my anxiety and gently soothes me to sleep. The capsule isn't that big and is relatively easy to swallow. I have the option to also add it to food and it doesn't really make it taste any different , except dot a very light sweetness. This pill actually , oddly , very rarely gets caught in my throat , unless I take it with very little liquid , it's very easy to swallow. It really s also a very nice sedative for me."

LOVELIGHT777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Doctor prescribed this to me as an alternative to lorazepam for anxiety. I was reluctant at first. Lorazepam works well for me, yet it is stigmatized by doctors. But it works just as well, if not better. Atarax is an antihistime. This means allergies are managed as well."

Mr Layne (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine just made me drowsy with my severe anxiety did not help me at all"

Dfeatherston (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Worst medication ever. You can't function after you take it and you feel terrible for days after. It's basically benadryl ( a sedating antihistamine). Does nothing for anxiety expect make you feel weird and uncomfortable then puts you to sleep. Another sorry excuse, poor man's anti anxiety med. Stay away. If your doctor prescribes they are an idiot"

CJ1847499295 September 7, 2017

For Sedation: "I've been diagnosed with MDD and anxiety. I've always had trouble sleeping so my psychiatrist gave me hydrozyzine 25mg at first and it wasn't doing anything so she upped it to 50mg which still isn't working. My prescription is always being filled so I still have a bottle or two of 25mg and one of 50mg. I'm still taking it and trying to sleep but it's really difficult. Even when I actually feel dead tired, I still can't sleep. I usually end up having to wait till my body gives out to get any sleep. I can't go to psychiatrist because I'm currently not a student so I'm not sure what to do. If this medicine works for you, congrats and I can't deny that I'm jealous."

Ruvel (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2017

For Anxiety: "It Definitely calms me down... But it also makes me sleepy."

Shellz1974 August 31, 2017

For Anxiety: "I have had my hydroxizine Rx for a while but never took it. Started feeling kind of anxious last night so I took 25mg. I must've passed right out because I don't remember when I fell asleep! I slept very well but woke up with a weird groggy feeling. I also felt really relaxed though which was really nice. Grogginess/ brain fog can sometimes exacerbate anxiety for me so I had some caffeine and that seemed to help."

Tireddddd (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

For Anxiety: "This does help some for anxiety. It helps mellow you out a bit so you're not panicking. Definitely doesn't works as well as Ativan and takes longer to kick in. Good for sleeping when you're too stressed to sleep."

Basika (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

For Allergic Urticaria: "So I started taking this medication to help with poison ivy spreading and not being able to sleep because of it. I was prescribed for 5 days on the pill and on my 4th day I woke up to hives all over my stomach and pelvic area. I didn't think it was from the medication so I took it for the last day and it just got worse. It's not been a week and they hives haven't gone down, just got worse and spread more over my body. Really bad reaction and I never get allergic reactions to anything!"

Lesliejuliaa August 23, 2017

For Anxiety: "I am a newly diagnosed mild anxiety sufferer. This is the only medicine I have tried for my anxiety as I talked to my Dr and advised her I can control my anxiety for the most part but I just needed something to curb my anxiety for when I was too overwhelmed to calm my own self down. I am on a low dose 25 mg and what this medicine does for me is exactly what I need. I use one prescription over the course of almost two months since it is only as needed. It allows me to clear my mind, get the full picture of the current situation and it allows me to put things into perspective so I can push through the tough times with a better thought process. It does make me a little drowsy if I am already tired. Worth a shot for as needed folks."

Bmase (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Let me start by with the obvious disclaimer, everyone is different, and your milage may very. Also always follow your doctors advice. I am leaving my experience, as I hope it will help others. I suffer from severe anxiety, not the mild kind of anxiety. For the last month I have been having as many as 3-4 panic attacks a day, when I was prescribed this I was very skeptical. I have been prescribed almost every medication, for anxiety including Xanax, Klonopin , and Ativan. When I first started taking this 50mgs of Vistaril, I didn't feel that It was having any effect. In fact it wasn't until, after I had run out and didn't get it refilled that I noticed it had been making a sizable difference. For me it wasn't a cure, but it was a useful tool."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

For Anxiety: "This drug is a joke for anxiety. It doesn't work at all. I thought it would also help with my contact dermatitis, but it doesn't help with that at all either. If you take this drug you're wasting your time."

shawniecat August 15, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Great for unclogging your nose, horrible for anxiety. It made mine bad enough on several occasions that I ended up in the ER. It also gave me dangerously low blood pressure, heart palpitations, hallucinations and an overall terrified feeling. I wouldn't recommend this at all for anxiety."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

For Allergic Urticaria: "I've been using hydroxyzine for 6 months for my Chronic hives, it's written every 6 hours, but I take it only twice a week as needed. I take it before bed time, it kicks in after 2 hours ,the itching will stop and most of the hives will go away by the time I fall asleep. But the next day when I try to wake up that is the awful part , I can't open my eyes, I feel heavy and super tired even if I slept for 8 hours it will feel like I never slept at all !! I wake up with no choice to go to work and I feel grumpy And angry and that's how it is for the entire day ,I hate taking this pill because it has those side effects but I have No other solution for my situation..hoping to find another antihistamine that will not have the same side effects.."

Gm.1 August 10, 2017