User Reviews for Hydroxyzine (Page 7)

Also known as: Vistaril, ...show all 10 brand namesAtarax, Vistaril IM, Hyzine, Vistaject-50, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistazine, Vistazine 50

Allergies

Anxiety
5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 798 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Sedation: "I’ve taken this medication off and on for years as a sleep aid Took it for a few years, then stopped for a few years, and then back again. Now, it just stopped working for me and I am stopping the med. I am tapering it off and feel mild withdrawal symptoms and insomnia. I fall asleep fine, but can’t stay asleep. But it helped me sleep just fine for many years."

havello (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’ve taken up to 50mg at a time to treat severe panic attacks, per my doctors instruction) and it doesn’t touch it. I have family members who take it and it works very well, but not for me. I have a very high tolerance for sedatives (I’ve woken up during every procedure I’ve ever had that required sedation) so maybe that is why? Everyone is different, but this is not a good treatment for me."

Camby February 9, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "My doctor prescribed me vistaril to relieve anxiety rather than me just drinking alcohol and self medicating. It seems to take an edge of the anxiety but it doesn't fully alleviate anxiety. Also after taking it for awhile I'm not 100 percent it was the vistaril but I developed what was explained to me to be chronic GERD basically like extreme heart burn all the time 24/7 so now they have me on more medication to treat that."

Provost906 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2018

For Sedation: "For years I've slept approx 3-4 hours on average. I've taken a variety of prescribed medications for anxiety as well as sleep aid. I used to lay, toss and turn and over think every aspect of life. I used to have gory and unbelievably crazy off the wall nightmares. Now I have normal thoughts and dreams! I take fluoxetine in the morning for anxiety (which was about my 4th kind for this issue) and before bed hydroxyzine 50mg, belsomra 10mg, gabapentin 400mg, doxepin 50mg. It's all about finding the right mix which for me took well over a year! The most effective way is to take it at least over an hour before sleep time so that you don't feel any repercussions the next day. I almost never feel groggy the following morning. Just rejuvenated:) I am thankful for this prescription! I was about to go mad crazy before it! Give it a full three weeks to kick in it was worth it for me!"

Better_sleeper February 8, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Vistaril does absolutely nothing. It doesn't help with anxiety. It only makes you more frustrated that your anxiety is not being treated properly. If your doc prescribes you this, he is not a doctor, he is just wasting your time... unbelievable."

nope1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

For Anxiety: "I took this medication for first time and it has my heart racing. I have a headache, left eye and neck pain, and left side pain. I almost ended up in ER. I still has my clonazpam that I will be taking and discontinue this monster. (10mg hydroxyzine)"

Patricia gu January 31, 2018

For Anxiety: "Because of new TN state law, you can't take Xanax and pain medication (I am in a reputable pain management program) together. I took Xanax for anxiety and panic attacks. Now I am trying the Hydroxyzine (that I take at night for itching) for anxiety and panic attacks and it is not doing a thing for me. The only thing it does it put me to sleep. During the day I do not want to go to sleep, especially when having problems with anxiety. Oh well, another trip to the doctor is due."

Herschelcat January 29, 2018

For Anxiety: "As someone who has experienced anxiety for 6 years and counting, I'd have to say this works very well for me. It's the only thing that's able to help me when I have intense anxiety attacks. Far more effective than any other medication I've tried."

AnxietyBoi (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2018

For Anxiety: "This seems to make my left side of head hurt and I get a stiff neck on left side. I sleep way too much but has helped with the anxiety a lot."

Dadkota January 24, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This didn't do anything for my anxiety, not even make me tired. I feel more anxiety taking them then when I don't use it. Chest tightness, nose running like a river, constant state of anxiety going on."

Thegoatbjk January 21, 2018

For Anxiety: "It helps alleviate panic attacks extremely well."

............... January 20, 2018

For Allergic Urticaria: "Dermagraphism, itchy skin. I take as an antihistamine. I’ve been taking 10mg a day for 15 plus years. No issues, usually might be able to go without for 3 days, then need a pill. I take a night, before bed to limit drowsiness."

Deltajim January 14, 2018

For Allergic Urticaria: "I've been taking this for about a year and I wish I had found out about it ten years ago. In the past I've had debilitating hives and rash no matter what I was doing. It could be from showering or clothing myself to running on a treadmill. They were painful and felt like I had been dipped into a vat of itching powder. It could last hours to days. Summer and Winter were brutal for my skin. It has literally changed my life. Yes the first week or so, it made me super drowsy. Doctor recommended to take it at night instead of morning and night. I take one pill in the morning now that it doesn't make me sleepy. I would love to find a natural remedy but haven't been successful yet."

Anjie A January 10, 2018

For Anxiety: "Prescribed for anxiety and to help me sleep, 25mg-50mg at bed time. Gave me horrible dreams and kept me in a hypnotic state most of the night with very little sleep. Benzo's are the only thing that work for me."

rjfinva (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

For Sedation: "25mg to help sleep at night along with 1mg clonozepan three times a day for anxiety. I was in a semi-conscious state all night and had horrible dreams about things I never think about. So I tried with my docs approval 50mg, and it was even worse, and the agitation from the bad dreams lasted a full two days. One of the worst drugs I have ever taken."

rjfinva (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

For Anxiety: "The first anxiety attack I ever had that I can remember I was probably 5 years old. I didn’t tell any of my doctors about my anxiety until now (20 years old) I haven’t taken anything else other than Hydroxyzine. I only take two 10mg pills right before I go to bed and it helps me throughout the next day while also helping me sleep through the night. Most of my anxiety attack’s happen while I sleep. This medication has helped me very much. I think it’s good for someone who has never been on an anxiety medication before. It really only makes me thirsty, but drinking water is good for you anyway!!"

Lil lily January 3, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have had anxiety and a panic disorder for most of my adult life. I was on ativan for 15 years and have been on klonopin for 10. When my doctor retires or I lose health insurance coverage I have been prescribed vistaril by family practice doctors that don't like prescribing benzodiazepines. For me it does stop panic attacks and calms me. Also helps with sleeping. The only downside is it is less effective over time unlike klonopin or ativan which never loses its efficacy. It's a nice med to take short term until I find a long term doctor."

Babs98272 December 31, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Vistaril to help with anxiety and sleep following opiate withdrawals. It did little, if anything. Original dose was 50 mg, later raised to 100 mg. It did reduce the crazy sneezing I went through. I got far better results for sleep from OTC Benedryl and melatonin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2017

For Anxiety: "I take this medication 3 times a day and I actually like it. It’s really helping the only thing I don’t like is I get really tired and dizzy on them but overall it’s pretty effective."

Horselo December 26, 2017

For Sedation: "So, I had to use it not for anxiety but because I was depressed and on the verge of getting in my car and driving off a bridge, and I needed something to basically knock myself out so I would forget. It worked. I fell asleep for like 10 hours."

Mr HeckOff December 25, 2017

For Anxiety: "This pill made it hard to wake up the next day. I only take this when I desperately need to. It works and makes my thoughts seem to quiet and slow down within minutes. The side effects are barely bareable. It may knock you out and make you feel groggy."

ProzacPrincess998 December 24, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "All I do is sleep on this medication. Was on Buspar but that was not controlling my anxiety."

Evill (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Vistaril is an ANTIHISTAMINE. it can make you drowsy if you have not taken it before. This is ALL that it MAY have in common with a real anxiety medication. It DOES NOTHING for anxiety unless you are shaking and trembling due to poison ivy or HIVES!!!!! Whoever got the bright idea to try to convince anyone that suffers from real anxiety to use this med for help is risking their patient's life. I take it for chronic hives, and have done so for 45 years."

Leigh237 (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2017

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "I keep yawning but I don't actually fall asleep."

Atomheartmother December 17, 2017

For Anxiety: "Prescribed to help me discontinue opiates, mainly for anxiety. In general, I’ve not had any results I’d say were helpful. Nothing harmful, but it hasn’t helped much with anxiety. It did seem to alleviate sneezing with opiate discontinuation which was good. It has helped slightly with insomnia as well, but only moderately. It causes my heart to race a bit for an hour after taking it. No other effects, good or bad though."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017