User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Pain (Page 7)

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1465 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Gabapentin

Sultrysorrow · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 15, 2016

“My doctors keep pushing this drug on me. Doesn't do a thing. I have osteoarthritis in my left knee after being assigned to USMC units for a number of years as a Navy Corpsman. Carrying over 80 lbs of gear on your back not including weapon, flak and Kevlar. Doin multiple humps and running like the wind has taken it's toll. But this drug does not work for me. The only thing it does is make me tired.”

jimsinmotion · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 7, 2016

“I have found Gabapentin to be absolutely awesome for nerve pain severe nerve pain in my legsafter taking 1600 milligrams per day I found the pain to go away for the first time in 2 years but then the pain came back ten times worse I went up to 3600 milligrams when I start to feel the pain come back I realized I missed a dose and I take some more and the pain goes away Gabapentin has been great”

TheirMomToo · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 5, 2016

“I started out at 300mg's 3 times a day approx 1 yr ago. I'm up to 900mg's 4 time a day, I suffer from horrible nerve pain due to having CRPS, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. So much has been taken from me, But the gabapentin helps so much with the nerve pain that I take the good with the bad. I have an awesome support system beginning with my Husband of 36 yrs. Otherwise I don't think I could do this. The gabapentin takes away from me certain things, But I take the good with the bad. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you who suffer and a have to take gabapentin.”

biagina · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2016

“I started at 100mg and am now up to 600m g 3x a day Had some pain relief at 300mg 3x a day but now pain seems to be increasing. Have a disk fracture at L`.1 and bulging disks at L 2.3. Also rods and screws at L 5-S1 . Had low cortisol due to too many nerve blocks. Am asking if this is normal that pain increased at 300 mg. Am concerned about increase. Am hoping from reading other reviews that pain will decrease. Had to use oxycodone 5-10 mg a day which I hate because it makes me sleepy.”

MarilynF · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2016

“My doctor started me on gabapentin about 4 months ago now for pain from osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia and bad knee pain. She had me take 100mg, 3 times a day. Or she said, I could take 1 tablet in the morning and 2 tablets at night, or all 3 tablets at night and nothing else during the day, whatever works for me. Each tablet is 100mg. The medication definitely slows my system down and makes me relaxed and sleepy, so when the pain from my diseases starts to act up, I take my pills according to how I feel and they seem to work for me really well taken that way. No side effects at all from the meds. I told my doctor I did not want any narcotics at all for my pain, as they are addictive and I did not want to be addicted to any pain med”

J.Dow · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2016

“I have Shingles, on the 5th day I had pain so bad I could no longer sleep, a rash on left side front and back. I started on an antiviral on the 3rd day, which now at over a week is starting to lessen the symptoms of pain and red rash with blisters. But that gabapertin did not help at all with the pain, and caused anxiety and irritation. I asked my doctors office, to take note of it for the manufacturer, but they said they don't do that, that its up to the manufacturer, which made no sense, if the doctors who prescribe it don't inform the manufacturer, how would they know? The medicine is bad news, and didn't work for me at all, worse that that, it made me feel worse.”

ray mellottt · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2016

“As for using this drug for muscle pain I found it to be useless I took 4800 MG's a day four 800mg tabs twice daily found no difference in pain just got a painful burning rash on my back neck stomach and arms bad choice as a pain killer just a ftug a Dr prescribed because he don't want the fda looking at his prescription pads”

Quando62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2016

“Helps more with anxiety than pain from my psoriatic arthritis, don't hardly know I take it. 900mg per day.”

Pj1121 August 26, 2016

“I have had chronic SI L5 pain and sciatica for 6 years. The has been a wonder drug for me but I can only take it at night when I go to bed. I lets me have a good nights sleep. I cannot take it during the day it wears me down and I am very groggy.”

yardrabbitt August 20, 2016

“I typically have a severe flareup of sacroiliac joint pain with attending sciatica once a year or so. Mornings are truly the worst; gave birth med- free to three babies, with "back labor" each time. That pain is about 2/3 of what this sacroiliac/sciatic pain can be,particularly when standing, walking, and sitting in the morning.Debilitating, searing pain. I'm a nurse, and also avoid pharmaceuticals in general. MD suggested Gabapentin for sciatica, am also doing PT. So far, this has given me a good night's sleep with less rotisserie-like spinning. Felt groggy upon rising, kind of fuzzy. The morning dose was taken-- left me very uncoordinated, blurry, kind of "spinny". Won't continue med. I need a clear mind, also, no real pain relief.”

Outfielder August 17, 2016

“Severe scapula pain ...nerve around shoulder blade to chest..massage could not help...Doctor started with 600 mg 3 times a day and 5 mg valium at nite..pain was less each day for first 6 days...some dry mouth...some wobbly walking at first..sleep was deep and very restful...at 7th day am now going 2 hours between each 300 mg pill with pain reduced 95 percent..have noticed much calmer and my small sciatic pain from softball has almost disappeared...breathing is more controlled ..I believe I will have this dosage of gabapentin down to 1 pill just twice a day in month...my shoulder pain had been there slowly getting worse for years..am 68 male..combination med seems to have worked for me”

Eskal August 5, 2016

“I have suffered from pain in both legs, related to arthritis in knees, ankles and toes. My doctor prescribed gabapentin 300mg (one capsule daily for one week; then twice daily and thereafter). I got immediate relief of the pain and discomfort. I felt some minor dizziness and sleepiness, but these effects were not lasting. I am keen to know if gabapentin will be permanently added to the list of medications.”

Rita girl July 30, 2016

“Works great. Side affects made me not take it anymore”

Yerom July 28, 2016

“Severe diabetic neuropathy in hands and feet. Severe nerve damage in the fingers of my right hand. Lower back pain with spinal stenosis. Started on Gabapentin 4 months ago after hand surgery. 300mg taking 3 capsules 3xday for a total of 2700mg per day. No side effects whatsoever and no reaction being used with all of my other meds. I find the drug to be effective for severe pain, not only for neurological pain but for musculoskeletal pain as well. I was able to get stop using narcotic for pain which was truly an asset.”

Amy F. · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2016

“I have just started taking this for nerve pain in my hands, leg and feet. For siatica, bursitis, bulging and degenerative disc pain at 100mg dosage. I have had noticeable pain relief for these issues today . It does make me drowsy but seems to be working. I will do an update on pain relief for a day where my pain is really bad and report on how it works then.”

Angelbaby1965 · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2016

“Just started gabapentin today, still have leg pain but I guess I need to give it a chance. A few hours after taking I had zero energy and felt kinda like a limp spaghetti noodle. Sort of a blah feeling but I will try another tomorrow. Think I will take it a little later , maybe I can sleep through the blah stage.”

bps July 6, 2016

“I am on a low dose now and have gotten no relief from knee pain. My pain is caused by bone on bone.”

Gillinda July 4, 2016

“I have secondary progressive ms and was prescribed 300mg 3 X per day for severe burning sensation. The first week was fantastic no discomfort which really helped with my ability to walk and energy levels. Then gradually over a period of 2 weeks the pain returned. I was then upped to 1200mg per day with no improvement. Then upped gradually over a period of a year to 3600mg per day with absolutely no improvement of pain. 3 months ago I decided I was not going to take this drug any more as it was useless. After much reading I decided the best course was to taper off 300mg every week until I was on nothing. I am now down to 600 mg per day and over the next two weeks plan to totally stop. I have had no major side effects and still have pain.”

Kenyth June 10, 2016

“Was taking 2x 5mg Norco per day. They gave some relief for my sciatica. Muscle relaxers did nothing but make me tired. This stuff did wonders! I felt noticeable relief from the first 300mg pill! I take three a day and take a single 5mg Norco if I know I am going to do something that will irritate it. I can now take long walks, garden, and exercise normally. Doesn't make it go away completely, but makes it bearable with an occasional back stretch. Hopefully, I can now lose weight easier. I am a big guy. I'm 6' 2", used to weigh 250 and bench 360. Now I am overweight and weigh 350 and bench 250. I hope to lose 80-100 lbs and see how the old spinal disks do then. On the downside, it makes you feel a little weird, especially at first.”

Meeshas Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2016

“The drug from hell. Was on 300 mg for 3 wks for scoliosis pain, they quit working so Doc upped the dose to 900 a day. Got such horrible chest pains I thought I was having a heart attack. Thank God they were gas pains, but now I am weaning off and will never touch this garbage again!”

mama's girl · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2016

“I am a 20 year chronic pain survivor. I tried this med years ago after anterior and posterior spinal fusion of L1-S1 it made me dopey, sleepy, and confused. I am write this review because my mom was recently hospitalized with severe sciatic pain, a week after failed injections the "pain specialist" felt this was the best route for her pain. she is 68 yo and sharp as a tack. I watched her all week get more and more short term memory loss, confusion, loss of words! basically symptoms of early Alzheimer's which there is no history of. there has been no pain relief to speak of. I am demanding they stop this nightmare tomorrow. I have read several other blogs that people are have the same issues and they are 30 years younger.”

Legal Assistant · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2016

“I jammed my hip about 6 weeks ago. It had been sore and hurting, but starting 10 days ago the sciatic pain was running down my right leg constantly. I was eating Aleve and Advil. Heat did not help. Ice did not help. I could barely walk. I even had to take a day off work because I could not get in a comfortable position. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and had no effect on the pain. I had taken Gabapentin before when I had a pinched nerve in my neck from a car accident and the pain was running down my are. I called my doctor yesterday and asked him if he would call me some in. He did. 100mg, 3 times per day. I can already tell a difference. The shooting, stabbing pain running down my leg through my foot has subsided.”

MiNDRiOTS · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2016

“Works ok for my degenerative back joint disease. Only problem I have is headaches, but ibuprofen takes care of that. Slight manageable dizziness and blurred vision. I Take about 1800 mg per day. Eat a lot too!!!”

Donson May 7, 2016

“I had ongoing pain in my right leg due to stenosis, a cyst on my spine, and a number of issues with my lower vertebrae. I first went to a chiropractor but that didn't help. Had two injections at a pain clinic with very limited results. Went to a spine clinic and the doctor prescribed gabapentin. Went from one 300mg a day to three as prescribed. I have found much relief and have had some good nights of sleep after months of pain at night. I have not had the side effects described here except it took a couple of times to discover that my tolerance for alcohol is greatly reduced. That may not be a bad thing. I still have a lot of numbness and pain if I walk too far or stand too long but at least I can sleep at night .”

Longnokr · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2016

“I've been on it for 1 week now suffering from bad sciatic pain caused by a herniated disc S1-L5. I was taking 6-8 ibuprofen a day and was still in pain. With only the entry dose of 1 300mg a day and 2 ibuprophen a day I can function almost normally until this disc heals...absolutely amazing medication. I won't don't plan to ramp up to the 900mg a day, getting great results with the 300. I was a little fuzzy the first day, but fine after that.”