User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 8)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 2 reviews 786 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1096 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "My experience began after 3 rotator cuff surgeries I developed swelling in legs&feet. After a yr I was finally sent to a dr who gave me gabapentin 300 mg 3x daily. It's has helped pain in legs. However foot shooting pain is worse. Not giving up on med will see what dr suggests"

Fireman0257 March 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed gabapentin for back surgery pain, and nerve pain from diabetes... I'm on the max dose, 1200 mg 3 times a day... All I can say is thank you Load for freeing me up from the opiates! My mood is great, I sleep well and my pain has diminished by 75%! I am 63 years old, forced to retire due to excessive back pain (3 surgeries, one spinal fusion) and very bad nerve pain in my feet and hands... I've had no side effects and all my doctors (I've had triple bypass also... No heart attack, thank God.. No damage to my heart) have said there is no reason to discontinue using it !"

Gilk53 March 23, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking gabapentin for 12 years. I used to have feelings of major irritation and maybe a little paranoia. An example of something that used to happen before i took these was i would be at work, flipping out thinking my mom and my boyfriend(at that time he was painting my parents house) were messing around. Which would NEVER EVER happen. Not only was our son there but so was my father lol. They also kind of disliked him. Point is when I started the gabapentin I laughed at the thought so hard cause it was so ridiculous, I still laugh at the foolishness of it. So i take them every 5 hours and if I had forgotten them my mom or my friend would notice because I would be sooooo irritable. They would be scared to remind me."

danc5150 (taken for 10 years or more) March 22, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I started on 100 mg at night for about 1 week. Then increased to 300, 600 and finally in about a month I was up to 1200 mgs a day in increments of three. For the first 6 weeks you are tired but it's worth it, as soon as it kicks in your pain is gone! I feel a little loopy somedays and I forget a lot of things but my arthritis and bulging disks are pain free and I can live a great life. I dread getting off of it though. It's going to be hell. If I ever run out its bad diarrhea. And anxiety. Don't run out or take more than your prescribed. Gab is a great drug for nerve pain. And I have no anxiety."

Greeno01 March 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started this medication about a week ago. I am diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type) as well as unspecified anxiety disorder. I was constantly dreading things and felt guilty for no reason. My anxiety bothered me to the point it made me vomit. I started on 300mg 2x a day and it has been amazing. It does not cure it but it takes away a lot of anxiety for me. I would definitely recommend this med."

TyARev3643 (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I am in my 6th year of severe hot flashes. I had a least 20 during the day and one every 15 minutes at night. I couldn't take estrogen because the risk of stroke. I tried herbal remedies, Paxil and lexapro. While on lexapro I had anxiety stacks and severe depression for 3 months being on lexapro for 2 weeks. It messed with my brain. I regret taking that and was very frustrated nothing could help hot flashes. I did some searching on goggle and found gabapentin. This is a Godsend! My first night taking it my hot flashes diminished totally. I take 300mgx2. One in the morning and one at night. If I do get a hot flash it last about 10 seconds and very minimal. I would recommend gabapentin in place of ERT. "

Mae Thibbs March 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have been prescribed Gabapentin for insomnia. For the last 2 years I have taken it nightly at bedtime 2000mg + 12.5 mg zolpidem ER + .25 mg of alprazolam. I find the zolpidem + alprazolam put me to sleep and the gabapentin keep me there...... most of the time. I feel as though I have forgotten how to "fall" asleep, but now knock myself out. After taking this handful of pills nightly at 9 PM, I can be awake at 2 am or 4 am. It has been a lot of drugs for a long period of time. Since the drugs "labeled" use is for nerve pain, which I didn't have, I worry that the neuroma in my foot that developed 15 months ago might be related. Neuroma, foot injections, foot surgery .. Pain unresolved How effective do you think it is?"

El Roy March 20, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Have bad periheral neuropathy in feet - with periods of intense burning pain and last few months pain/numbness was getting much worse, especially at night. Wasn't excited about using gabapentin because of all the possible side effects listed. Finally went to Doctor who prescribed 300 mg at bedtime, but instructed could do 600 mg if necessary. Took for first time last night, 300 mg didn't seem to make much of a difference in pain so after about an hour, took another 300 mg. I was very surprised this morning at how much the burning pain had subsided! Am feeling a little sluggish/mellow today, hopefully that won't be a lasting side effect after my body gets used to the drug."

JimWilson March 19, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "FIRST USAGE: Three hours of pain relief from severe sciatica after taking initial dose of 300mg. Took two more doses later in the day as prescribed. The second dose made me dizzy with no pain relief, the third dose made me feel drugged and I was unable to stand up or walk. Lasted all night. Waited a day to recover fully from drugged feeling, then started again with dose of 300mg in morning. No pain relief; 3 hours after taking the drug, I had suddenly had excruciating spasms in one leg when I tried to walk. It is now 3 hours later and that leg feels as if I have a pulled muscle or ligament, extremely painful. This is the leg in which the sciatic pain is strongest. This drug is a nightmare. Will not continue with it."

babbo (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

For Spondylolisthesis: "I have spondylolisthesis, L4/L5, 2 bulging discs, moderate stenosis. Started in August and suffered until January. Had 2 injections which didn't work. Pain medication wasn't working. I am on neurontin 900mg three times a day with ibuprofen 800 mg three times a day. I didn't taper it up like I was supposed to. So had side effects but only 1 day. Side effects were dizziness, trouble talking. It was sort of funny though. But I went from not being able to walk or get out of bed without crippling pain that made me scream to almost no pain. I was able to work again, sit for longer periods of time and join the human race. It has now been 2 months and it is still working. I was within weeks of having a fusion. Hope it keeps working"

kimpadd1962 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2016

For Pain: "Took for knee pain, started with 100 mg and increased every 2 days 100 mg to 1500 mg, Knees hurt much more on med. Had ankle swelling. Within 7 days of stopping knees felt much better and swelling was gone."

IDP (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

For Spondylolisthesis: "First of my symptoms was sensitive to light I can't see have to wear Sun glasses in my house and outside saying that I can't not drive long distance vision way to blurry and legs give out not safe anymore... I had a convulsion affter feeling not needing air my legs gave out on me and I blacked out!!! I've had many other episodes where my vision goes blurry then I can't see and my legs gave out needing assistance in getting to a couch!!! I'm having trouble swallowing anything thinking chunky, I just went through esophagus xrays and testing they say it may be the medicine I can't eat rarely eat in dehydrated but don't wanna go back to Dr again."

Sunnyyynseaside March 12, 2016

For Pain: "I absolutely wouldn't survive without my gabapentin. However, I'm finding that anytime I miss a dose (3-800s a day) that I have bouts of rls for a few days. Anyone else have this issue. Mind u, to my knowledge, I never had rls before. I'm pretty sure this medication causes it to happen for me. But idk, I'm not finding many ppl online with the same problem. Can someone say if they are. I'm 30, so medications like this has only been going on for 5 or so years. I have too many issues to list by the biggest r all but one vertibrate that are both deteriorated and herniated. And, I have a psudeo tumor of the brain (lots of spinal fluid build up, not yet fixed at all). D.j.d. and also a bad case of r.a. as well. Thanks"

meghan-help please March 9, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I was prescribed GABAPENTIN for sciatica related to back pain. The medication did nothing at all to relieve the terrible pain I was having in my back, buttock and thigh. The only side effect I had though was some drowsiness and inabilty to concentrate. I was still not able to return to work due to the pain and side effects"

Acinfantry March 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been diagnosed with GAD, Panic Disorder and PTSD. I was having a hard time managing my anxiety with my Zoloft and Xanax only combo so my pdoc prescribed 300 mg Gabapentin 1/day. I did not feel much relief from this dose and it was upped to 300 mg 3/day. It's been 4 months and I have since had to increase to 600 mg 3/day and it's been really working for me. I do not have many side effects. I can tell if I miss a dose as withdrawal symptoms come rather quickly. I have not gained or lost weight. I am not overly tired and it does not make me feel restless. Overall, this med is working for me and I am glad my pdoc suggested I try it."

AbbyNelson March 8, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I have been taking gabapemtin now for 7 months and can't believe how good this medication works..not only for RLS, but for craving alcohol. These pills (800mgx3) plus AA is sobriety all the way."

Kitty Kat 1974 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2016

For Pain: "I took Gabapentin for 7 months. It did nothing to help the sciatic pain. I kept hoping it would eventually help the pain but the side effects and getting lost and confused in a familiar place that made me quit taking it. I also experienced garbled speech and balance issues. I weened myself off of it after talking to my doctor. I was having severe memory problems also and hope it gets better."

logonre March 6, 2016

For Anxiety: "I just started gabapetin a week ago 1100mg2xday didn't notice anything am going to up the dose to 1200mg2xday I also take a benzodiazepine 3xday for anxiety"

pillgirly (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I tapered up to 1200mg / day, starting in September of 2015. I have noted some stabilizing of My night restless leg syndrome and a near total absence of stabbing pains in the lower legs that would occur at intervals. I don't note adverse side effects; just happy my sciatic nerve pain has markedly decreased in the process. Some constipation noted at first, but that has resolved. I've had bladder incontinence for some time and that continues as I had no expectation of that being altered by neurontin. Life goes on and I'm functioning slower now, but still get out."

Andy1050 March 5, 2016

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "I was prescribed 300 MG in the early stages of Shingles, for what I don't know. Since the Shingles kept getting worse, they changed my prescription. It started out as an "ear infection". It didn't do anything for or to me. Crazy....."

Moyajor (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Taking 1200 MG twice a day & still have a pain level of 7"

Slkchk513 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2016

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "Originally prescribed for seizures, once I developed neuropathy my dose was more than doubled (300x3 to 800x3). It works pretty well, though it has a bit of an odd sedation about it at the higher dose. It also makes me a bit clumsy. Overall pretty good, not quite as good as painkillers, but without the nausea and tolerance problems of all that."

muDraconis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

For Pain: "I have been taking 16 years. I take 800 mg 4 times a day. The meds work Great. I am able to do most things. I am 52 and have had 7 hip replacements. About two years ago I started having tooth problems. I discovered major gum recession. Yesterday I had my first round of skin graphs. The doctor knew it was from Neurotin. He has had several patients having taken as little as 2 months to me 16 years. The doctor originally thought I needed 3 grafts. I only had enough to graph two. Three months from today I have to do two more grafts. Had I known this I would of never taken Neurotin."

RalphBoz March 2, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I found that this was the only thing that helped with my pain & I'm so lucky to finally be able to function now! It works wonders for me!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "Gabapentin does not work for Rsd, It must be name brand Neurontin for this disease. It it so much more expensive but you will save yourself so much agony by not using the generic form of this medicine."

amy sch March 1, 2016