User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 8)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 2 reviews 788 medications

2.3
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 1 reviews 50 medications

Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1217 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Fibromyalgia: "I Hate it so far. Been on it for less than a month. The irritability, stomach, gas, don't feel much pain relief... I'm hot, skin my face, ears, chest sometimes legs. Especially if I DON'T take regular. I'm more than a bit grumpy on this drug. I'm more depressed and upset. Cry easier. I DO NOT like it but I promised doc is try it. 300mg 3x a day. I can't hardly stand it at ALL but I promised. . I'm on fire now too even after the dose. It's awful but...I promised."

MichLinn August 1, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have to say, it's been working very well for me. I'm more confident and I love being around people way more then before. But, sometimes I feel very dizzy and I'm all over the place. I forget everything and I feel kinda lost. I feel like my brain is on slow motion. The worst thing is I can't make love anymore. Its really hard to stimulate me and sometimes I can't even ejaculated. It brought me peace inside but I don't feel things anymore. Never happy, never too sad. I don't enjoy food. (Sorry for terrible english.)"

FakeBobRoss July 31, 2016

For Pain: "Works great. Side affects made me not take it anymore"

Rita girl July 30, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Do your research. If the lowest dose of gabapentin does not work, higher doses will not either. I was prescribed GABA as soon as I was diagnosed with PN due to a side effect for a biologic I had been taking for rheumatoid arthritis. I experienced rapid weight gain, disorientation, and my short term memory was non-existent. My neurologist increased my dosage 2x, with no success. I did some research on my own and spoke to my rheumatologist and pain management doctor. They both agreed: if the lowest dose doesn't work, then it won't work... It'll just cloud your mind. Stanford University published a study deterring the prescribing of this medication for neuropathy, as did the University of Vancouver, British Columbia. The efficacy rate is 10%."

PMWilson July 29, 2016

For Pain: "Severe diabetic neuropathy in hands and feet. Severe nerve damage in the fingers of my right hand. Lower back pain with spinal stenosis. Started on Gabapentin 4 months ago after hand surgery. 300mg taking 3 capsules 3xday for a total of 2700mg per day. No side effects whatsoever and no reaction being used with all of my other meds. I find the drug to be effective for severe pain, not only for neurological pain but for musculoskeletal pain as well. I was able to get stop using narcotic for pain which was truly an asset."

Yerom July 28, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Took it for the first time last night--300 mg. First night in months I have not had hot flashes and slept pretty well. My sister has taken it for years with the same result. I had a hysterectomy at age 60--just 6 weeks ago and hot flashes at night became unbearable."

Donnamarie74 July 28, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Without going into excessive detail, I've been on Lamictal for about 5 years. Tried anti-psychotics (almost all) but could not handle the weight gain from them. Recently I realized that as great as Lamictal is, I needed to add an anti-psychotic and just deal with weight gain. But my psychiatrist suggested I try Gabapentin before anything else. I'm only on 600 mg a day (been on it for 4 days), and I know my body is still adjusting to it, so this might be a hasty review... but it's given me a calming feel, helped a little with racing thoughts, but I feel "high," at times like I'd drank a lot of codeine. It definitely makes you loopy, but I'm just gonna see how it goes. Just give it a try if you're Bipolar I and don't want the anti-psychotics."

JJ9069 July 22, 2016

For Insomnia: "I'm going to echo what most of the other posters her have said and say that Gabapentin can be effective for insomnia, but with a few caveats. I was prescribed 300mg/night by my doctor to help with insomnia induced by opiate withdrawals after recovering from surgery, and on the first few nights it seemed to work reasonably well. However, I did notice that my tolerance to its sedating effects built up rapidly, and by night 4 on 300mg my insomnia reared its stubborn head again. By night 6 I was determined to sleep well, so I upped my dose to 600mg. The result was the first solid 8 hour block of sleep I've had in over a month, but after only two nights of quality rest, I woke up at 2:30am again today. So, beware tolerance build-up!"

Mark1987 July 22, 2016

For Pain: "I have just started taking this for nerve pain in my hands, leg and feet. For siatica, bursitis, bulging and degenerative disc pain at 100mg dosage. I have had noticeable pain relief for these issues today . It does make me drowsy but seems to be working. I will do an update on pain relief for a day where my pain is really bad and report on how it works then."

Amy F. (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bpd, and it was a really rough start. My Dr had me on 27 different prescriptions in one year, and I was a total train wreck. Switched Dr's, and that one gave me a very high dose of benzos, and it almost killed me. Spent time in the icu for that one. Finally got the most amazing Dr now and he started me on gabapentin. It honestly saved my life.It is so hard to survive this illness when you cant get in under control. I had forgetten what it was like to be myself. I was angry and pissed off at everyone. It was so very hard on my husband and four little boys. I started with 300mg three times a day. The difference was amazing. I could smile and laugh. Thank you gabapentin for bringing me back!"

Flight154 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I am a sixty year old guy. I have been drinking since I was 15. AA gave me a couple of years of sobriety a few times. I could never describe the magnitude of my cravings (even to other alcoholics). Though the VA, I started taking Gabapentin about 6 months ago. I have returned to AA meetings because just reducing the cravings isn't all it's about for me. I have said that stated in meetings that there is finally a pill that cure's alcoholism. They don't like hearing that stuff in AA. It is more true than they will ever think. Craving's were such a huge part of my inability to control my drinking. I have been able to do things that I never could before. Best of luck to you all."

Hutch co (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've found this drug to be excellent for treating general anxiety and looping thoughts. My anxiety is now buzzing in the background instead of punching me in the face. I use neurontin in combination with Wellbutrin and lamictal. Great combo for a possibly bipolar recovering alcoholic :) The only slight downside is that it pushed my cravings for sugar and carbs through the roof. I gained a little weight before I realized what was happening and then put myself in check. Keep an eye out for that one."

Dannnnnnnnnnn July 18, 2016

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Neuropathic Pain: "Had surgery for Morton's Neuroma in March 2013 which resulted in nerve pain on left foot. Prescribed gabapentin with various other drugs over 2 years in order to achieve the right mix. This was a disaster. Side effects were intolerable & frightening. Eliminated the other drugs and am now (after a 2nd surgery in 2015) on only gabapentin, but at a ridiculous dosage of 4800mg daily. This gives a tolerable level with the foot pain and numbness, but does nothing for any lower back or sciatic pain relief. I have the usual side effects of blurred vision, tired and drowsy, and instant memory loss which has become quite annoying. Started to reduce the dosage to a more sane level. Hoping for 1800mg per day but doubt it. We'll see how it goes."

Steve Ob July 17, 2016

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "This medicine has been life changing! I was always told my rls is in my head and not real. It's just me being worried or nervous. Thankfully, I asked my dr. She told me, it's very real and asked my symptoms. They matched perfectly with all rls symptoms. I take Gabapentin before bed. It takes about 30 minutes to kick in, but when it does, I'm able to relax and sleep. When I get out of bed in the morning, my legs don't ache because I'm no longer moving them all night. Please seek medical help if you are struggling with rls. This medicine might not be for you, but whatever medicine works is worth it!!"

NatMarie73 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

For Pain: "Just started gabapentin today, still have leg pain but I guess I need to give it a chance. A few hours after taking I had zero energy and felt kinda like a limp spaghetti noodle. Sort of a blah feeling but I will try another tomorrow. Think I will take it a little later , maybe I can sleep through the blah stage."

Angelbaby1965 (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "So far no relief for me. Had to add this review as I see so many success stories and felt others may need to know it doesn't always work. I too take 300 mg at night prescribed by my oncologist because of my tamoxifen induced hot flashes and sleepless nights. I'm still hoping it will kick in and the the miracle that is has been for so many of you all!"

HotflashSally (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "People often feel inclined to share negative experiences so I thought I would add my positive one in case anybody feels encouraged. I have Fibro, POTs, scoliosis, complex regional pain syndrome and a few other minor issues. I work part time and am a single mum (not all partners wish to hang around once you get poorly lol). I spent many years struggling with my symptoms but a new Dr invited me to try Gabapentin. I worked up to a dose of 900mg twice a day and 1200mg at night. I have to say I would not be without it. Gone are the restless legs which kept me awake at night, gone is the interminable insomnia, irritable bladder, IBS flares.. My pains are dulled. I didn't get headaches, I don't feel dizzy beyond my normal POTs symptoms. I rate it!"

Smart (UK) July 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "After being on so many medications for a non clear mental disorder...perhaps bipolar or adhd.. or a mix of everthing I was addicted to clonazepam, the worst medication I ever been and I was there for 10 years. Been also in all depresion medication.. But none worked. Been in straterra for adhd and was horrible.. didn't work. Was on Trileptal and it's a so heavy medication. I found in a high dosis perhaps 1200mg of gabapentin some real relief... Relief in anxiety and relief in some chronic pains after some surgery s. Between gabapentin some unisom I found relief.. I don't want to touch never again clonazepam or any benzodiazpein. Be careful with those medications, they destroy you. Sorry for my English... I'm trying to improve it every day"

Argentou July 12, 2016

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I've had E T since my late 30's and am in my early 60's now. My dr put me on gabapentin for neuralgia following shingles. We saw it just about stopped my tremors. I've been on 300 mg since then but after the first years it's getting worse where the present dosage is no longer helping. I'm not sure going up a dose will work. Took me 6 months where I wasn't sleeping constantly. The tremors are in my hands and my left is worse but thankfully I'm right handed. It keeps me from doing fine knitting and needlework and sewing takes me so much longer now. Frustrating!"

Mybride July 11, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine works so well for my bipolar disorder! I've tried so many other medications to no avail. Finally, a doctor put me on this (300mg x 3 times daily) & now I'm up to 600mg three times daily (1800mg daily). It works wonders! I have virtually no anxiety (I used to wake up & could literally feel the anxiety set in before this medicine) & helps with pain as well. My doc put me on Buproprion 100mg twice a day also. In conjunction these seem to really work for me. All in all, I highly recommend Gabapentin!"

ChericeCormier July 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "Went on a trial of gabapentin (300 mg 2x daily) about a month ago for anxiety to augment bupropion xl (150mg 1x daily) for anxiety and depression. Bupropion was working to clear up some clouds, but some underlying situational anxiety persisted. Adding gabapentin has been great! Only downside is mild blurred vision and a slight head-fuzz feeling the first couple of days, but that has dissipated. I'm considering asking my doctor for an increase in the gabapentin dose, but overall I feel much improved. I am pleased that these two medications are having a positive effect with minimal side-effects and that I don't have to go on an SSRI."

raf5150 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "My doctor put me on this medication for the pain in my feet. At first it seemed to be helping, but about a week after taking it I started experiencing side effects like my feet burning and being so sensitive, my husband went to touch my feet and I almost jumped out of my skin! When I go to the bathroom, I am in there for about 15 minutes, and the things happening in there are not good:(, I can't sleep at night because my feet are burning, and I have the same thought running through my head, and it won't stop. Now my stomach is bothering me (more), and I have a terrible taste in my mouth.I know I can't just stop taking this medication, and I have a call in to my doctor, but it is Sunday, so another day of these awful side effects:("

T.S. (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Ronlngbch#1 thank you for your article ; I have had minor l5 budge for 20 years with minor numbness in right thigh three week ago I started getting the worst shooting pain in the middle of night and standing up if I sit in same spot for 15 minuet's the intense pain would last 15 seconds to a minuet but the only way I can describe it is my muscle being ripped off the bone.(WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE) Dr. started me at 300 mg 3 times a day on day two already feel better I didn't even wake up last night. I was hoping it worked fast on some one else too so I know its not just a placebo effect . insurance was making me do a whole song & dance to get Lyrical I called Dr. office & he faxed in the gabapentin"

bigdog in milwaukee July 9, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I tried everything up to the point of HRT and finally my doctor gave me gabapentin! My hot flashes were severe and I was having so many of them! The minute I started this medication I had instant relief!!! I love it! I hope it works for you!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Pain: "I am on a low dose now and have gotten no relief from knee pain. My pain is caused by bone on bone."

bps July 6, 2016