User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 7)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 294 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1036 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Anxiety: "Gabapentin has been working wonders for my anxiety and fibromyalgia or maybe it's just because I CANT STAY AWAKE LONG ENOUGH TO FEEL A DAMN THING. I hate the living hell out of this pill I have been trying to tapper off of it for weeks now and I'm in hell. Extreme abdominal pain. Can't actually sleep longer then 2 hours at a time and when I'm awake I feel like death. I can't focus or remember anything at all. This is truly hell"

Lostpaw (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2016

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I was having such severe pain that I could not get to sleep at all. I went to my doctor in desperation for relief. He prescribed 300mgs of gabapentin three times a day. That did nothing for the pain. I was referred to a pain and rehab clinic where I was given 3600 mgs a day--1200 t.i.d. That helped much more, but the pain is still not altogether gone. I do physio too, which, in combination with the gabapentin, helps."

PLynnkin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I have spinal stenosis and terrible night sweats. I hadn't slept through the night in over a year. My MD prescribed gabapentin 300mg nightly. I slept through the night with the first dose. I feel like a human being again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Postherpetic Neuralgia: "My GP prescribed Neurontin to treat pain from PHN, increasing to 1800mg per day. After 6 weeks I find it does reduce pain to some extent and I am able to get a reasonable sleep. Side effects include ringing in ears and tingling in feet and hands, but I can put up with this. I was previously taking Lyrica but experienced very nasty side effects and had to be weaned off it."

Stuart M February 17, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I couldn't imagine life without gabapentin its truly a life saver it helped with my neuropathy and reduced the pain by 90% lyrica and cymbalta didn't have a good affect on me as gabapentin did"

Herand (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

For Anxiety: "I am on gabapentin for anxiety 300mg 3x a day I feel great I was on 100mg 3x a day for 2yrs and they just upped it. I feel good again I just get over the tired feeling again but I would tell anyone who try this med works wonders. I didnt know how good was til he upped it I was a mess I couldn't even make work. I'm off next couple weeks so med can adjust but been a week and already feel alot better"

sisi87 February 16, 2016

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "Started taking gabapentin a couple months ago. Hate to take meds of any kind and am afraid of augmentin which I have had. I started on a low dose of gabapentin and increased it to 300mg at noon, and 300 mg. after dinner. In the evening I take ropinirole. After taking ropinirole I am up for at least 2-3 hours wrestling with my legs. Tonight I decided to skip ropinirole, and take another 300mg of gabapentin. Not sure yet if it will work. Going to bed soon. I am standing while writing this."

muskiebait February 15, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "UPDATE. I am still on gabapentin. Dose is 600mg three times a day - total 1800mg in a 24 hour period. I had not had a drink "craving" since August 11, 2014 when I quit. (I did this within one week of starting gabapentin). I did have a glass of wine at Christmas, one beer on my birthday, and one glass of wine at Easter. That's it. I use to have 10 beers a day, and three glasses of wine or gin for bad panic attacks and generalized anxiety. So for me (not everyone) I can have that occasional drink with friends, at party or any social event - then come home and not touch the stuff and WITHOUT ANY CRAVINGS AT ALL - as I had during my 40-year binge. Still, this drug is amazing. AA never worked for me."

Gaba-Lover February 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on gabapentin 600mg three times a day for a while for my fibromyalgia and it works get for that. My psychiatrist just increased it to 800mg three times a day for my bipolar depression and anxiety and it is really helping with that too. I noticed the first day on 800mg that I felt calmer and happier. I am happy"

sugarmoney28 February 13, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Bipolar disorder successfully treated with gabapentin for 4 years -900mg daily.Then in Dec 2015, I had general anesthetic for broken leg operation. Then 6 weeks later, fell into deep depression with uncontrollable crying. Convinced this is result of anesthetic. Can anything reverse this state?"

shosholoza (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Chronic back pain. Started years ago when I lifted weights in a gym that we're too heavy. Back has not been the same since. 6 yrs ago I fell down the stairs at home and fractured my Coyxx.."

TriciaW (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "70 yrs old. Have suffered from depression-bipolar since 17. Have been treated with tens of medications to no avail, except lithium for 43 yrs which no longer works. 4 yrs ago I was treated with Gabapentin, which seemed to decrease the depression already after initial dose of 300mg. Increased to 3*300mg to which I reacted well until general anaesthetic in dec 2015 for operation threw me into a deep depression. Any info on effect of anaesthetic on depression and any antidote?"

shosholoza (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2016

For Pain: "For 5 years I had severe constant pain from arthritis around my right collar bone pressing nerves. Along that journey, I had a nerve ablation done on my C3-C4-C5 vertebrae that helped a pinched nerve there. Finally found a pain specialist who put me on Gabapentin Nortriptyline (usually for depression). Gabapentin alone did nothing. He convinced me the 25mg Nortriptyline is a tiny dose but works great with the Gabapentin. He was right. Immediate relieve. After surprise surgery for a perforated sm intestine, had to hold off all Rx's while in the hospital. Then started lightening bolts of Siatica nerve pain down right leg. EGAD. Back home, restarted Gaba and Nortrip - Siatica all better. Wow!"

Aunt Debbie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 10, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I went on gabapentin for alcoholism that troubled me for 10 years when nothing including Alcoholics Anonymous barely worked. I read anecdotal information that it helped with alcoholism, went on 600mg twice daily and it was the first thing that helped me. Now I take 1200mg twice daily and find it works great! Afterwards I read a study in the Journal of American Medicine, Gabapentin in Alcohol Dependance, 2014 that confirmed it works well in many people for cravings and binge drinking. This medicine should be further studied to confirm it works well. On this site it is obvious it helps a lot of people struggling with alcoholism which I have, along with Bipolar Disorder. I call Gabapentin my" happy pills" that also takes away my anxiety."

Malibu1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2016

For Anxiety: "My Doctor just prescribed this to me today, 300 mg once a day for 2 days, and then 2 a day for 2 days, and then 3 a day thereafter. He said it would make me really tired, as I am also on methadone. But I took the one before I was gonna go to bed, and I cannot sleep at all. I am so anxious and on edge right now.. This medication is definitely not for me...I took it a couple hours ago and I'm thinking about making myself puke because its time release so maybe it's not all in me yet? That is how bad this anxiety is. And since I'm on methadone, I no longer am prescribed Valium. So this really sucks as I don't have anything to take this edge off."

Jhuhv February 5, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Was prescribed gabapentin for back pain but noticed very quickly that my night sweats and hot flashes greatly diminished after starting this medication. I also sleep better and don't wake up as often. This has been a blessing due to the fact that I am unable to take any medication normally prescribed for menopausal symptoms due to having thrombosis years ago. :)"

Tanner13 February 5, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Gabapentin is the only med that has worked for me. I have had Fibro for 15 years. I had to quit work because of Fibro. Doctors have put me on all the other approved meds for Fibro and no way! I take 100 mg twice a day and 800 mg at bedtime. I still feel tired and can't do what I want to do, but I'm much much better than I was before Gabapentin. My worse problem is trigger points nearly all over my body. I have to go to get deep tissue massages for that problem. REALLY helps. Good luck to all of you!"

Suelouie February 4, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I've just been put on these gabapentin yesterday for an on going back problem in which no one knows what it can be, physio, doctors hospital I've been referred to back specialists. I took one yesterday 300mg then 2 today and then 3 a day then onwards but when does it start working because am in agony. I am also on naproxin for pain nothings working"

Koozy February 4, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have severe sciatica due to lower back degeneration. I also have what I believe to be lipedema, a fat metabolism disorder which causes severe leg pain. I was told that I had lymphedema and then vascular disease. My legs are symmetrically out of proportion with my upper body and chronically swollen. Very difficult. Anyway, I'm taking Percocet and I started pain management last week and the Dr wanted me to try gabapentin again, as I have used it before. I've had/have a clotting disorder blood clots. I can't take NSAIDs. I took it last night and this morning and I actually was able to walk down the stairs. Dr told me gabapentin is NOT for the pain as that is what I thought. It's for the inflammation"

Gingern February 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking this for bipolar 2 disorder and am prescribed Xanax for anxiety. My doctor started me out at 100mg of gabapentin (3x/day) after using Topamax to treat my bipolar disorder. The Topamax worked great for my mood, but caused me to lose too much weight, and constant parathesias in my arms, legs and even face. This medication works the same way without the side effects! (I'm now at 300mg 3x/day) I haven't even had need for my Xanax because this helps so much with my anxiety, as well! And it doesn't make me drowsy like Xanax does. I'm so happy I came across this and asked my doctor to try it. I hated antipsychotics but wanted to control my symptoms. I thought that was a no win situation, but gabapentin is my answer!"

Brvvke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

For Pain: "For over 6 months severe pain from diabetic neuropathy and nephropathy - constant 6 to 9 in almost every major joint in the body - shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, ankles, feet - except right hip - 3.... not helped at all by musculoskeletal pain killers. Gabapentin at 900 mg halved those pain levels ... but increased legs edema by 10% and scales weight by 2kg, and added lower back pain stenosis at 8 - discovered that liquid morphine sorted that out. Even if back not sorted it would still have been wonderful just to have a change in what hurt."

thomasruss4 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Does not make me dizzy or overly tired. Most doctors don't know how to dose it or prescribe it. A lot of doctors don't know much about shingles either. They know it is for pain so they treat it like a narcotic. It is not habit forming and not a controlled substance. It does take 2 or three days to start working though. I was misdiagnosed at the ER after I told them I thought it was shingles. They said I had facial cellulitis and put me on the wrong meds for two days, during which I suffered through the peak of the attack. "

nickname BS February 2, 2016

For Pain: "I started gabapentin last night; although it was prescribed a week ago. I have very serious allergies and even though the doctor cleared the medicine, I was afraid to have a reaction. I was/am also afraid of the side effects. I am still trying to lose weight after a full thyroidectomy so I don't want to gain anything else. Anyway I was prescribed this for intractable migraines. I took my first 300 mg pill last night as the neck pain I experience prior to some migraines, was riding up the back of my neck. I swear the pain diminished in less than 5 minutes. I did not expect that...weird. Tonight I felt the same pain so I took the pill as scheduled. Again the pain lessened. I had no migraine today so that is amazing for me. So far so good."

Mrs. Ali February 2, 2016

For Insomnia: "my hubby has been on the med since Sept 2015. It is not working.. they put him on the Gaba to remove the morphine. In the last 4 weeks by 11pm he is wide awake in pain and in tears. In the last 2 weeks the heavy pressure on his right side just below the shoulder is worse each time. He has developed a cold that will not go away starting in Nov. We see the Doc on Feb 3rd. He is taking a sleep aid and med for really bad headaches. I am so afraid of what will happen when the next dose falls. We have been married for 24 years. He has had problems with drugs and drink all his life from 9 years of age on.. yep .. people 9 years of age.. Started smoking pot and drinking.. "

blue star mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2016

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "At first this drug helped my pain...however prolonged use of this drug caused many terrible side effects.... Serious and Scary..confusion, dizzy spells, nausea, buzz noise in my head, anger ,hostility, distrust, clumsy, & on &on......."

Tee $tl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2016