User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 7)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 2 reviews 295 medications

2.3
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 1 reviews 52 medications

Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1278 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Pain: "nerve pain, tingling, painful tension, numbness in face, headaches, shoulder and ear pain, "zaps" in face due to really bad TMJ for 11 months. That caused a major depression and extreme anxiety & insomnia. After I was hospitalized for a brain surgery (different story, not related) and the doctors heard about my story the pain management department got involved & rx'd Gaba & Opipramol (Germany). Immediate relieve of 95% of my symptoms with the first dose of 300 mg. I went up to 300 2x daily and was back to my old self within a week. After a horrific dentist app 8 months later I was left with tons of more pain & had to goto 2400mg to feel effects on pain, despite Gaba fell in deep depression, anxiety etc.Just added nortriptyline & see...."

Gabaaaaa October 28, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Spondylolisthesis: "I'm not sure what I have. But, neither do seventeen doctors I've seen in the last twelve years. This sounds more like what may be wrong. I have been on Gabapentin for over four years. I take 800 mgs up to 8 times a day along with 800 mgs of ibuprofen. So far, no side effects. But, no relief from pain. I had a bone spur removed from my inner spine. Praying that would help. No. Physical Therapy hasn't helped. I'm still looking for answers. But, this spondylolisthesis, might be something to share."

Nauni (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 28, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "I was diagnoised with Fibromyaligia back in the mid 90's but didn't treat it till I started to feel so bad in 2000, and I had to work, so I was on Prox-y-propanate for several years till it was pulled from the market, was then on Vicodin 4x a day and it worked great, but so many people have abused it or died from some mixing of it and other drugs that my Dr. pulled me off and put me on Tzanidine, which gave me headaches and heartburn, then on to Clondine, which made me tired and a terrible dry cough, then finally to Gabepentine, which has been awesome, I also take Duloxetine, and together they have me feeling awesome, I can go to my exercise classes everyday and the energy is great remember try everything, donot give up!"

squeeker100 (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I have used Gabapentin for 5 years now. It was initially prescribed to me for fibromyalgia. I now only take it so I can sleep at night. It doesn't help with my pain, but it makes me fall asleep and stay asleep all night. The only downside I have found is that my body has become very dependent on it. This is inconvenient because I can't sleep without it, so If I forget my medication it is absolutely impossible to fall asleep."

Rachelle7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Like many of you, I have tried several SNRI's and SSRI's..None work after a certain time period, and nearly all cause weight gain. I am thrilled that I might have actually found a solution to my chronic depression especially given this med is meant more for Bi-polar which is not my diagnosis. I have energy for the first time in years, no weight gain, no increase in appetite! Sleeping great and waking up with energy. I'm almost afraid to write this because I may jinx it but I feel great.. I am only on 200 mg. split up twice a day and I don't need to increase at this point so I'm sticking with this low dose. very happy so far. I hope this review helps other who have struggled with finding a solutions to chronic depression.."

Tried Them All! (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I'm scared to even start taking this medicine bc of the side effects. I have depression however the doctor still prescribed the medicine. I've had suicidal thoughts before. For now I'm not taking it until I've aired my concerns with my doctors. Also getting a second opinion. My feet and hands didn't bother me until my diabetes medicine was changed 6 weeks ago. Hopefully something good will happen"

Grandma010 (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "Started taking gabapentin about a year ago for night sweats. Doctor told me start with 100 mg and can increase to 300 mg if needed. I found the sweet spot to be right at 200 mg every night around 7:30 pm. Night sweats have literally diminished. BUT, I just had lunch with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while and she tells me about a nerve issue she was having and her doctor put her on this drug. Within a month, she was gaining weight and experiencing horrible bloating. This was my "ah ha" moment of "is that my problem?". I have slowly gained about 20 pounds in the last year and work out like a dog, eat well and cannot figure out what is wrong with me, other than the fact that I am now 50!"

beaglesmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I have a painful terminal cartilage/muscle condition and I am also taking dihydocodeine and diazepam. I take 1800mg of gabapentin a day (3 x 600mg) and I suppose it's helped with some of my pain, especially the muscle spasms / pinched nerves, but it's not that great for all round aches and pains. I have irritability from it too, and find myself over-reacting to situations at work, which is a bit concerning. There is also a 'spacey' feeling with it quite distinct from tranq/opiates - a feeling that my mind is racing off into weird avenues. I'm keen to get off this stuff eventually, I don't trust it."

Simley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "I have taken this medicine several times for fibromyalgia and nerve pain. While I have found it helps my nerve pain a bit, that is offset by major brain fog. I feel paralyzed, unable to move, starting into space. It's really bad and makes me feel depressed. I already have brain fog and a poor memory with fibromyalgia and this even at low dosages is unacceptable as it makes those problems much worse."

This didn't work for me.... (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "I have been taking this for a year or so now and could not be happier. It has completely eliminated my night sweats and I only have the very rare hot flash now. My doc told me to start with one 300 mg pill at night and if I had to, I could add up to 600 mg more. 300 worked for me, and worked the first night. I couldn't believe how much I had missed my sleep until I started to get some again. No naps necessary, so much more energy, mood improved. I love Gabapentin!"

sgfoodiegirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "I have been on Gabapentin for just over a year for Fibromyalgia. About the same time, I started going through menopause. Everyone kept asking me about hot flashes and night sweats...none of which I get. I am presuming it's the daily use of Gabapentin. If I forget to take it, I definitely get night sweats now. Blessing in disguise I guess!"

Chrisan October 24, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "I am on many medications for early menopause. I am 43 years old. I was put on gabapentin 1800mg a day and WOW what a difference. I went from 20-40 hot flashes down to 3-4. I am very happy as well. My mood is better and I feel like I have more energy. I recommend this medication. I am an RN."

Teressa W October 24, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Day 5. So far so good. Sleeping all night and pain reduction. 600 mg at night. Titration to get up to most effective levels. Still have my doubts."

Gaxx53 October 23, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "I went to a specialist in pain management. 300mg seems like way too much of a starting dose. 100mg for 3 days then 200mg 3 days 300mg 3 days etc. Let's your body get used to it. Go up to 600mg 3 times and then stop. If you don't have relief by then it's unlikely you will. My nerve pain from folfox platinum chemo destroyed my nerves in my hands and feet. This gave me about 50% reduction in pain worth it. Very tolerable site effects. Minimal really. Try but try it right."

Colon cancer survivor 88 October 18, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Ive been on gabapentin 900mg 3 times a day for a month for the shingles . It does help calm down the nerve pain but it makes me tired. You just have to force yourself to keep physically active. If you are age 50 or older and had chicken pox when you were young i HIGHLY recommend that you get the immunization shot. Im into the tenth week with the shingles. Im going to miss almost the entire deer hunting season because of the way i feel. Since ive been on gabapentin i feel better though."

salmonking October 16, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "RX calls for me to take 600 mg twice a day. This dosage makes me drowsy + I feel like a zombie after taking it. I have cut down to 1/2 tab (300 mg) in the am & 600 mg at bedtime. I can't really tell that this med makes much difference with my nerve pain..."

GGmom09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 16, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "My dgt started having migraines @ 12 yrs old about a year after she started her period, she's 17 now. She's been on over 30 different meds, vitamins, herbs & tried massage, chiro, acupressure & acupuncture. Is now being treated by a neuro. She's been on Gabapentin for a few months w/little relief. They gave her, her first Botox injection in August that helped reduce her migraines until she had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic she passed out, hit her head in the shower & has had migraine since mid September w/o relief. The Dr wants to increase the Gabapentin to 300mg. Not sure if it's a good idea bc seems like the Gabapentin didn't help her. Migraines hav prevented my dgt from having a full life hoping the increase helps"

Miki's Mom October 15, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was on low dose Xanax for 12 years. When coming off it, I had terrible withdrawals and my old Dr wouldn't do anything for me so I was drinking 2-3 times a week and craving it the other 4-5 days. Got a new Dr and he gave me Baclofen and Gabapentin and other than blurred vision and a general dizziness, they have taken away the withdrawals and I have no Anxiety or RLS. I no longer drink and have determined that doing so makes the RLS worse. I no longer crave alcohol. I was able to cold turkey stop the Xanax. I presume the Gabapentin is for RLS and anxiety. I take 400mg 3-4 times a day. (220 pound male) Have been on them about 5 months now. I forget the exact cost, I'm guessing about $18 for 3 months worth. (generic)"

Bham,AL October 13, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "Each time my dose was increased I would get light-headed for a couple of days but it was not a serious issue for me."

LaJoya (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "I have tried gabapentin several times to make sure it was the culprit. I have horrible nerve damage caused by a wreck. I am in pain and numb always. Well, I've had several bouts with my gallbladder while taking the med. It makes the nerve pain much better, but I can't eat, I vomit profusely, my WHOLE abdomen is sore, I have heartburn that won't go away, I have more gas than Iran, and it's like liquid acid coming out the tail pipe. For me, this medication is a BUST, but clearly others have had better results."

Songbirdallie October 11, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Been taking 300 at bedtime for two months calling doctor having trouble concentrating on driving and panic attack and nervous type symptoms will driving"

Poppett (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "I got results while in rehab on 800 mg twice a day. After 3 back surgeries and 45 radiations. I am lucky to be alive. Nowadays it does nothing for the 360 degree clamping feeling around my chest and back"

Baddabingtmc (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Started Gaba on 8-7-16. I take 900 mg daily (split my dosage.) Remember, Gaba is an off label used for Anxiety & you can't blame it if it doesn't work for anxiety (I find negative reviews for gaba unfair on this site.) I take Prozac 40 mg; but I still have light anxiety, panicky feeling, nausea & mental agitation. I have to use 4 or 5 mg Valium prn to smooth out Prozac can't fix at times. I suggested trying Gaba w/ my psyche; he agreed. 300 mg first wk, 2nd wk 600, & 3rd wk 900. Gaba added has been effective for anxiety. I feel less anxious & mental agitation reduced.At first, Gaba will make you drowsy & weak. My memory is slightly off but if I really focus I am fine.You might feel shaky at the start. Some bad days, be vigorous. Be positive"

No fear...be positive (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with TN one week ago. Pain so bad while on vacation in August, I could not function. Searing hot pin pricks on the entire left side of my face. ER doctor suggested TN or a sinus infection. After a week, the symptoms all but disappeared. After several weeks I started to get twinges of pain around my left upper lip area which progressed to include the whole left side of my face. Thinking this was all about my teeth I saw my dentist. He took x-rays and did an examination and told me he thought I had TN. My NP too suggested TN and will be referring me to a Neurologist. In the meantime I am taking Neurontin 300mg 3x each day. The pain did not stop but has gradually lessened over the 1st week. Looking forward to pain free days!"

Downeast (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have been using 150 mg of trazodone together with 300 mg of gabapentin. Able to sleep most of the time straight through for 6-7 hours with little after effects next day. After suffering with chronic insomnia for over 40 years this is pretty good. Helping me to get off of regular use of ambien and xanax."

statusquobuster (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016