User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 13)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 2 reviews 288 medications

2.3
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 1 reviews 52 medications

Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1307 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Anxiety: "Awful drug. I was on it for about a year straight and I could never comprehend anything. All though it did take away my anxiety it ruined my Brain. I couldn't retain information I always forgetting and misplacing things. Best thing I did was get off this drug. I swear it made dumb. I can't even remember words sometimes and when I was training at work on this medication I had such a hard time I would forget what was literally just taught to me. Since I been off of it now for about 6 months things have returned back to normal except for my vocabulary and spelling."

Don't do it June 19, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "I have spina bififa, scoliosis, osteoarthriti and I am on the bu trans patches. I have been in severe pain, even my eye balls hurt, every joint and muscle agony. I have tried so many medications an was almost at point of giving up. I was put on gabapentin and it has been a wonder drug and life saver. After only taking two all my pain went completely and I feel 20 again"

Juliepann (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I suffer from generalized anxiety and abused alcohol heavily for over a year for sleep and stress reduction. When ready to quit, I was terrified of withdrawal, my doctor prescribed 300mg, 3x a day. So far, so good. I've been on it for a month and have noticed really helps my anxiety. Sober just three days but feeling okay! Some precautions: Experiencing a little weight gain and notice an increased appetite an hour after I take this medication. Also I notice when I miss a dose almost immediately. Good luck! It's worth it!"

SoberSally (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Wow. I have been on opiates and neurontin for about 4 years now for debilitating pain in my neck and sacroiliac joint dysfunction among other things too long to list. At first the opiates helped for my pains but as time has gone by they have become a nightmare to deal with. Having to keep upping the doses because they stop working and not to mention the serious constipation that comes with these meds. So i woke up today and decided to only take the Gabapentin..all at once (that would be 2400mg). OMG..i am not in pain, my mood is so incredibly happy and my anxiety is also gone. I have energy...Something i did not have for a looong time!! I am going to try and see if mayyybe i can get off the horrible opiates and stick with my Gaba gaba do!!"

Inpaintoolong (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2016

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've only been taking this medication for under a week, 300mg x 3 times/day. Pdoc Rx'd it for my BP1, and as an adjuct treatment for insomnia and anxiety. My first few doses I felt pleasantly drugged and mellow. It had a moderate cannaboid effect and even gave me the munchies and had me babbling. It has lessened quickly. This med must be working on the brains gaba receptors indeed for I've had a general sense of wellbeing and calmness. Side effects: increased appetite, some minor drowsiness/loopiness, some dipsomania, and strangely...a frequent need to "stretch out" my muscles. I'm going to continue this medication, and even ask about a higher dose. More time on it will reveal how well this treats my conditions."

InAtlanta (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This pill is AMAZING!!!... I took gabapentin today for the 1st time I honestly am not a pill person I take a pain relief pill once in a blue for a headache so I honestly had no idea it even existed much less what it did how it made you feel etc. but I awoke just as depressed as I fell asleep so I took a look at the bottle & said what they hay, an hour later I felt like a million bucks I was back to my old self talking & smiling being productive no stress & anxiety just cool calm & collected So much so my bff made the comment it's great to have you back where have you been girl...."

Unknownj June 14, 2016

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "I have been taking a low dose of Gabapentin,100 mg for a week, changed my life, I had ablation done 6 years ago, I was grateful, but....hot flashes overwhelming. ..I am so grateful. !!! Waking up the first morning rested, dry, no hot flashes all day!! In a week, no side effects. I am sleeping good, dry, its awesome. I actually was cold, from a/c.. Anyone suffering, ask your Doc..., I noticed my foot pain has diminished, I ready to go dancing an work up a happy sweat!!!!"

do50 June 12, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have been having such a bad time with my left thigh & down to my left foot, the burning, shooting bolts of the worse burning pain I ever felt! On a pain level, a 12! Out of a 10! I took a 300mg GABAPENTIN & in 10-15 minutes the pain is a 6-7 outta a 10, I usually get the PN at night, it's 2:33 p.m. right now! Thank God & do for this medicine! I have controlled diabetes 2 & severe back ruptures & spinal stenosis! But, DON'T want operations as I am afraid of being paralyzed, doctors told me it was a slim possibility of that! They have to go through the front to get to my back, C-4 to L-5, otherwise, split like a trout! Thanks, but, no thanks!"

Ronlngbch#1 June 11, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Was taking 2x 5mg Norco per day. They gave some relief for my sciatica. Muscle relaxers did nothing but make me tired. This stuff did wonders! I felt noticeable relief from the first 300mg pill! I take three a day and take a single 5mg Norco if I know I am going to do something that will irritate it. I can now take long walks, garden, and exercise normally. Doesn't make it go away completely, but makes it bearable with an occasional back stretch. Hopefully, I can now lose weight easier. I am a big guy. I'm 6' 2", used to weigh 250 and bench 360. Now I am overweight and weigh 350 and bench 250. I hope to lose 80-100 lbs and see how the old spinal disks do then. On the downside, it makes you feel a little weird, especially at first."

Kenyth June 10, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "I have a love & hate relationship with this drug ! I have been on & off this medicine multiple times in the past 5 years At the beginning i saw tremendous relief in my FM symptoms that only lasted about 3 yrs of it was a up and down of changing the dosage because for me weight gain on this pill is ridiculous so my Dr kept me on the lowest dose until i need a lil more, So my dosage was anywhere from 300mg x2 or x3 daily . All this changed on year 4 when i went into a horrible flare up during winter & not even gaba could fix i noticed that it just just stopped working for me p.s. withdrawls are horrible, anxiety,insomina,hot/cold spells, stomach issues,fatigue,nausea,muscle cramps, best wishes to all withdrawing hang in there it gets better!"

Gypsypickles318 June 9, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "I had been having severe, migratory joint and muscle pain, along with horrific idiopathic itching. We tried everything (anti-histamines, steroids, etc) with no effect, finally trying gabapentin. It was like a miracle: the joint pain and terrible itching went away. However, I developed secondary pain--a deep, horrible ache in both thighs. It took me two months to even figure out that the pain in my legs was caused by the gabapentin (first of all, I suffer from RA, so pain is common; second, gabapentin is supposed to help with pain, not cause it, so this was confusing). I went off the gabapentin (note: always consult a physician and taper down!), and sure enough, the debillitating thigh pain that I'd been suffering so long went away."

Jo1978 June 9, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "Just took my first one today and I can't believe how good I feel right now. I've been hurting for months. Waiting for my neurologist to see me now. I was feeling exhausted from hurting so badly. I never thought it would end but I feel 200 times better after taking the first dose. I highly recommend this drug."

Smettie (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Chemo induced neuropathy... 300mg 3x a day. didn't help, got worse. Upped dose to 600mg 3x a day... got WORSE. backed down to original dosing. Fett and toes completely numb, hands numb and now pain shooting and from finger tips to elbow feels like in a vice. joints in fingers have unbearable pain. Gabapentin NOT helping. Looking for alternatives..."

jen m June 7, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "Has been very helpful. However, I have experienced some side effects. I have had some problems with chest pain. After a heart cath, which was normal, I was started on metoprolol. No further cp. Also have problems with memory loss and an inability to focus, however was on lyrica for a while and was this was much worse then. Does eliminate all my pain but Overall, this is the only medication that has helped with the rsd at all."

Kimmy A June 5, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "The drug from hell. Was on 300 mg for 3 wks for scoliosis pain, they quit working so Doc upped the dose to 900 a day. Got such horrible chest pains I thought I was having a heart attack. Thank God they were gas pains, but now I am weaning off and will never touch this garbage again!"

Meeshas Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Zolpidem (Ambien) plus melatonin didn't work very well. I had pain from various conditions, and 5-10 mg of hydrocodone (Norco) helped with the pain, but I don't want to be on narcotics the rest of my life. I tried GABA to help out, at the advice of my sleep doctor. At 600 mg each night, the GABA had no effect at all, so I discontinued usage. Now, however, another doctor has said maybe my dose should be higher, so I've taken 1200 mg each night. Very strong effect at that level and I slept 9 1/2 hours! However, it took a while before it had any effect, and it left me groggy and dizzy the next morning. Next, I'm going to take 1200 mg at 7 pm instead of 9pm. I suspect that after a few weeks at this dosage, I'm going to become accustomed to it."

Ricky419 June 3, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Spondylolisthesis: "Had L4-5 fusion in 2014 and was back to full time work in 8 weeks. Approximately 22 months later I started having right lower leg excruciating pain and my leg would get so stiff that I would limp along with stinging,burning, and numbness. I went back to see my physician and an MRI was done. I was placed on 300 MG of gabapentin the dose was then increased to 600 mg. After finding out the problem and prior to surgery I was placed on 800 mg three times a day. It has really worked for the numbness,tingling, and burning before and after surgery. I can really tell a difference if I happen to miss taking it late. I return for my follow up appointment soon I will discuss with my physician about staying on this medication."

Reerees2u June 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started the once daily Gabapentin last week and am now on 1200 mg/day. I was taking it for back pain and later realized it is also used for bipolar and anxiety problems, which I also suffer from. I don't feel much of a difference mentally, but I feel drugged during the day. It feels like I took a sleeping pill and am walking around doing my work trying to keep my eyes open. I am not sure whether this is connected to the drug or it just happened for another reason. In fact, this drugged feeling happened to me twice before I took the drug, but now it happens everyday. Not sure what's going on."

Rubanda May 30, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Gabapentin, for neuropathy, not diabetic, a smoker, treated with interferon for 13 months. I am female, 65 years of age. Dosage, 800 mg, 4 tablets a day. It did help with the neuropathy, I noticed no side effects. Then I read that Gabapentin could attribute to weight gain if taken with prescription pain medication. So, I quit taking it cold turkey. I was not informed by my neurologist to not just stop taking this medication. Within a few months I became ill. I was fatigued, couldn't think or remember properly but, didn't know what was wrong with me. I was fired after 6 years of service. One day I decided a gabapentin would help. Within 30 minutes, I was Marlyn again and overjoyed. I have since read withdrawal can take up to a year."

Office Manager May 29, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I am a 20 year chronic pain survivor. I tried this med years ago after anterior and posterior spinal fusion of L1-S1 it made me dopey, sleepy, and confused. I am write this review because my mom was recently hospitalized with severe sciatic pain, a week after failed injections the "pain specialist" felt this was the best route for her pain. she is 68 yo and sharp as a tack. I watched her all week get more and more short term memory loss, confusion, loss of words! basically symptoms of early Alzheimer's which there is no history of. there has been no pain relief to speak of. I am demanding they stop this nightmare tomorrow. I have read several other blogs that people are have the same issues and they are 30 years younger."

mama's girl (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2016

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed GABA by my doctor for insomnia. I find it does help to keep me asleep once I get there. I agree it doesn't put me right to sleep however I find that it does allow me to relax my brain and body so they're not going 100 miles an hour which then allows me to fall asleep. I was told to only take it if I had 7 or 8 hours dedicated for sleep so what I found was this. When I take it and am allowed to sleep a full 8 hours before getting up I feel great in the morning. If I take it and have to get up in 6 hours I'm disoriented in the morning and vision is blurry. So with that being said and knowing it takes a couple hours to fall asleep after taking this I've learned my time table of when I take it where I get the best results."

True Believer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "HI on 100mg of gabapentine ears are starting to feel swollen inside also terrible flatulence which smells like rotton eggs ? been on for 4 days thanks"

sue0505 May 19, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I jammed my hip about 6 weeks ago. It had been sore and hurting, but starting 10 days ago the sciatic pain was running down my right leg constantly. I was eating Aleve and Advil. Heat did not help. Ice did not help. I could barely walk. I even had to take a day off work because I could not get in a comfortable position. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and had no effect on the pain. I had taken Gabapentin before when I had a pinched nerve in my neck from a car accident and the pain was running down my are. I called my doctor yesterday and asked him if he would call me some in. He did. 100mg, 3 times per day. I can already tell a difference. The shooting, stabbing pain running down my leg through my foot has subsided."

Legal Assistant (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "It honestly helps a lot for my nerve pain, I get it super bad in my arms and It helps so much. I only notice the pain if I don't take it. I take right now 900 ml. I would be in so much more pain without this. It's a blessing. Also I for some reason never get tired from this. I never get tired or anything and can take it in the morning if I forget. It does nothing for my insomnia. Idk if I have a rare reaction to it or what, but my doctor finds it funny. Ha ha"

Nachsie (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Works ok for my degenerative back joint disease. Only problem I have is headaches, but ibuprofen takes care of that. Slight manageable dizziness and blurred vision. I Take about 1800 mg per day. Eat a lot too!!!"

MiNDRiOTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016