User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 13)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 294 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1038 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Neuropathic Pain: "Doc said take 900mg a day, I've reduced to 6mg a day. Herniated disc l-4,l-5. I sleep better at night. I think back pain is some better. I take tamsulosin so I'm sort of dizzy anyhow. 74 years old, active/athletic golf, offshore fishing etc. Thinking of surgery but maybe it's inevitable. Will wait & see. Would prefer no drugs but only on this 6 weeks..My body has always healed itself. I think God will do it again."

rickydicky August 23, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I was prescribed Gabapentin by my Oncologist last month as my hot flashes and night sweats due to taking tamoxifen, following breast cancer, were getting out of control. I couldn't believe that they totally vanished from the first night of taking 300mg before bedtime. I'm sleeping like a baby for the first time in months and feel fully ready to take on the world again!"

MaisieGsy August 22, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "This medication completely stopped all of the pain I experienced, to the point that I had to do a body check each night to see if I had hurt myself during the day. However, within 2 months of starting this medication (a VERY low dose), I was suicidal, and had to be taken off of it at 2 1/2 months. If it weren't for the side effects, I would give this medication a 10. Due to the side effects (horrendous, in my opinion), I've given it a 1."

Amanda F August 20, 2015

Neurontin (gabapentin) for : "I have peripheral neuropathy and it seems to help some. Leg still goes numb, but not as bad as it used to."

Anonymous August 19, 2015

For Pain: "Sadly no effect on my pain."

tea no sugar (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "I experienced severe back pain for more than 5 years with some relief with Naproxen and chiropractic care. I finally retired because I could no longer cope with the pain. After going to a Sport and Spine practice they finally diagnosed me with subcostal and intercostal nerve pain in my right rib cage and put me on gabapentin; 300mg 2 times day. Within about 5 days the pain was gone. It does make me tired and I've gained a couple of pounds after being on it a month, but the benefits outweigh the side effects. It's been a miracle drug for me after suffering so long."

Regina in Northern Virginia August 18, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I've had hip surgery which had alot of damage on my nerves and now MS. The Dr wants me to try 100mg a day and I've just started 3 days ago so I'm not sure if it's really working yet. I am hoping it does but I do not think that 100mg 1x a day is going to do it. He wants me to try this dose for 2 weeks and see how it works out but I'm not to sure it is. Yesterday I had pain so bad in my legs and feet I couldn't even walk at all it's horrible especially when u have a 10 year old and an 11 month old u can not be down in bed not even for 10 mins during the day. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same dosage at first."

Lilmee (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I was disabled by hot flushes. 3 an hour at night. I was in a constant state of anxiety and frustration.Black Cohosh worked for around 6 months, but the body must build up resistance to it and so I was back to square one. My hot flushes interrupted everything I did. A feeling of panic each time they rose from my chest and into my face. It felt like my head was being micowaved. In total resignation I went to see my GP last week - about to say 'that's enough, lets try the HRT'. I saw a young Locum female GP. She was so lovely and mentioned Gabapentin. 3 x 100mg each day. Within 48hrs I was flush free! I'm not kidding. I feel like I have just recovered from years of illness. A new and happy person! They work. Try them!! :-)"

Little Sue (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

For Pain: "After 3 weeks of excruciating sciatic pain, due to herniated disc at L5-S1, I was prescribed Gabapentin. I was scared about the side effects so I only took a third of my daily dose, alongside naproxen and codeine. I noticed a change in my mood, very tearful and low also. The pain got worse, so I gave in, took the gabapentin as prescribed, continued with codeine and naproxen and then the pain became manageable within 3 weeks. I'm no longer on any drugs now apart from Gabapentin. My mood is better and I am sleeping better. The pain hits me when I walk for 5 minutes, especially going up a hill. Or when I sit/stand for too long. But my quality of life has improved with gabapentin. I am having surgery next week as the disc herniation is large."

GEM77 August 16, 2015

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Neuropathic Pain: "I got prescribed Neurontin(gabopentin) back last year for nerve pain due to a damaged sciatic nerve from an epidural gone wrong, however I have also noticed that it helps with my seizures as well, and I strained my lower back, and had to go to the ER but got out and took some Neurontin and I have hardly any pain now while I recooperate and the only side effect is that it makes me slow and sleepy. I have been nodding off a lot, but I slept awesomely last night and barely even budged. I also take Wellbutrin and Buspirone as well, for anxiety and depression."

Salem Rose August 13, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I'm a transwoman who after 2+ years on estradiol was taken off it "cold turkey" after having a mini-stroke. The hospital doctors figured that the estradiol had contributed to my mini-stroke and took me off it rather abruptly. Within a week of quitting the estradiol I started having terrible hot flashes that would last 15-20 minutes followed by icy cold spells that lasted 5-10 minutes , I was fairly certain I was dying ! My ob/gyn prescribed Gabapentin 100 mg capsules once a day and within 2 weeks most of the hot flashes subsided. Now I get hot flashes once or twice a day rather than four to six times, I have to say my quality of life has improved considerably !"

shelli63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been hiv positive for 3 years when I asked my doctor if my hiv meds were actually giving me side effects of anxiety and panic attacks. I am taking truvada and isentress and although I am very happy with my meds, I really noticed that When I started the hiv meds, I become very anxious and paranoid of negative things happening in my daily life. I talked to my doctor and so he prescribed me a very low dosage of 100 milligrams 4 capsules a day of Gabapentin. I immediately noticed the effects within the first week. I am no longer paranoid, worrysome and anxious all the time. I'm very happy my doctor prescribed me this medicine. :)"

Nolongeranxious August 12, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "48 Year old, slipped disc last year in bed 14 weeks, managed to avoid surgery with spinal steroid injection (it worked!). Back to the point, was prescribed 3 x 300mg 4 times a day. Always had mood problems, always thought it was simply my genetics and just got on with it (as you do), never had the guts to see the doctor but my mood drastically improved after taking the gabapentin. My back is better now but after a chat with the doc he's kept me on 3x300mg/day. If I forget to take them its back to being miserable. Taking them is the difference between day and night and works almost instantly like a switch. I'm in awe of them, thank you whoever made them."

MartinMclaren August 11, 2015

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since I was 19 really bad I wss on every benzodiazepine know to man now I take 800 mg gaba a day for long time my panic disorder is really bad but im telling you the gaba will help god bless people with panic disorder I know how it feels Susan"

panic city August 10, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I am 34 years old and have been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks since the age of seven. I was prescribed this medication for severy pinched nerves in my lower back. I immediately noticed a difference in my mood and panic attacks and anxiety disappeared. I see the word with news eyes. It's like being in meditation when awake."

Got My Life Back August 6, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "Knocked me out to sleep the 1st 2-3 nights i took it, at 300mg. As the weeks increased as did my dosage of 300mg up per weeek til i reached 1,800 mg. 2 in morning, 4 at bedtime... No way coukd i sleep. My mind constantly racing. Can't be having that......"

Java2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "So far so good limited side effects."

Joeb76030 August 2, 2015

For Pain: "I'm 67 and got shingles of the eye 8 months ago. The pain was so bad I considered suicide--I mean a bulged right eye that made me look like a frog run over by a Mack Truck--screaming rolling on the floor - I actually screamed so loud neighbors thought of calling the cops thinking I was being tortured! I got the posterpetic nerve pain in the head and forehead after the intial 90 day shingles began to let up and my eye pain went down but on the forehead and down the nose the nerve damage actually burned like someone had a blowtorch on my forehead eye and nose. I'm taking 300 mg time release Gabapenian for 3 months no side effects I'd kiss the scientists who made it! a LIFESAVER for me"

DJ Dan, Burton MI (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2015

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Found it extremely helpful plus no need for blood work but w/ my sensitivity to many of the additives I can only take one brand, which is the generic brand."

Anonymous August 1, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "After years of hot flashes.....at least one per hour....plus sleep depriving night sweats....my doctor suggested Gabapentin rather than hormones. Didnt really understand the drug until I did some research and read how it has helped other women. So, I took it....300mg, at night, as prescribed.....wow!!! I havent slept that well in years!!!! Zero night sweats! The first two mornings after taking Gabapentin, I felt a little bit foggy headed. But also a sense of calm that I really enjoyed. No more foggy mornings.....its been 1 week since I began taking Gabapentin. Still getting a solid 8 hours of sleep with no night sweats! I am one very happy woman!"

kat grab July 29, 2015

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I have been an alcoholic for years. Decided to quit. I was prescribed Gabapentin 300mg x 3 times a day, with the ability to up the dosage. Gabapentin is metabolized through the Kidneys not the Liver. Yay! It's only been 10 days but I'm drink and craving free!! I get a little anxious at night but otherwise a happy camper so far! Good luck!!"

L.A.life July 29, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I take 800 mg TID, which seems to me a high dose. It's still a bit hit or miss on neuropathic pain coverage. When it works it's great! I know it works from comparison to the week- or month-long periods I've not taken it, when the pain is much worse. Still, it can't compare to other meds I've tried like Cymbalta which provide awesome pain control (downside to Cymbalta is insomnia tho). Narcotic pain meds work somewhat too, but mainly by changing my attitude towards the pain, not really lowering it, so they are a poor option for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "This medicine can ruin your ability to think.I would walk in to a room,and forget the last 5 minutes.I had to reduce the medication by 40%,and am now tapering at 10% month to fend off sudden withdrawal symptoms."

B0 July 27, 2015

For Pain: "Because I am a recovering alcoholic it is crucial for me to find non-narcotic treatment for the persevering pain of my chronic pancreatitis. I was feeling a bit hopeless with the repeated prescriptions of pain meds (which of course offer only temporary relief, and for me a danger of over-use), until my GI prescribed me Gabapentin. This med has been incredibly successful in mitigating my pain, while also giving me huge energy (I'm a consistent runner so this factor is welcomed), and allowing me to move forward with my sobriety. I give it four stars, though I realize like anything, it's not for everyone. That said, good luck to you all with finding what works."

Sgw78 July 27, 2015

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict with chronic pancreatitis, so having the option to take a non-narcotic to manage chronic pain is critical for me. I have been relatively successful at managing the pancreatitis after it's acute and vicious onset which had me hospitalized and on a diladid drip for seven weeks. Now that after a year the pancreatitis has turned chronic, though I maintain a good diet and exercise often, and so pain management is crucial. However it's pretty dangerous for me to be on narcotics, and it is most certainly not how I want to spend my life. The Gabapentin has truly made the biggest difference for me in both dealing with chronic pain and the anxiety I have about controlled substances. I am relieved and grateful."

Sgw78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015