User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 13)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 2 reviews 788 medications

2.3
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 1 reviews 50 medications

Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1214 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Have bad periheral neuropathy in feet - with periods of intense burning pain and last few months pain/numbness was getting much worse, especially at night. Wasn't excited about using gabapentin because of all the possible side effects listed. Finally went to Doctor who prescribed 300 mg at bedtime, but instructed could do 600 mg if necessary. Took for first time last night, 300 mg didn't seem to make much of a difference in pain so after about an hour, took another 300 mg. I was very surprised this morning at how much the burning pain had subsided! Am feeling a little sluggish/mellow today, hopefully that won't be a lasting side effect after my body gets used to the drug."

JimWilson March 19, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "FIRST USAGE: Three hours of pain relief from severe sciatica after taking initial dose of 300mg. Took two more doses later in the day as prescribed. The second dose made me dizzy with no pain relief, the third dose made me feel drugged and I was unable to stand up or walk. Lasted all night. Waited a day to recover fully from drugged feeling, then started again with dose of 300mg in morning. No pain relief; 3 hours after taking the drug, I had suddenly had excruciating spasms in one leg when I tried to walk. It is now 3 hours later and that leg feels as if I have a pulled muscle or ligament, extremely painful. This is the leg in which the sciatic pain is strongest. This drug is a nightmare. Will not continue with it."

babbo (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

For Spondylolisthesis: "I have spondylolisthesis, L4/L5, 2 bulging discs, moderate stenosis. Started in August and suffered until January. Had 2 injections which didn't work. Pain medication wasn't working. I am on neurontin 900mg three times a day with ibuprofen 800 mg three times a day. I didn't taper it up like I was supposed to. So had side effects but only 1 day. Side effects were dizziness, trouble talking. It was sort of funny though. But I went from not being able to walk or get out of bed without crippling pain that made me scream to almost no pain. I was able to work again, sit for longer periods of time and join the human race. It has now been 2 months and it is still working. I was within weeks of having a fusion. Hope it keeps working"

kimpadd1962 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2016

For Pain: "Took for knee pain, started with 100 mg and increased every 2 days 100 mg to 1500 mg, Knees hurt much more on med. Had ankle swelling. Within 7 days of stopping knees felt much better and swelling was gone."

IDP (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

For Spondylolisthesis: "First of my symptoms was sensitive to light I can't see have to wear Sun glasses in my house and outside saying that I can't not drive long distance vision way to blurry and legs give out not safe anymore... I had a convulsion affter feeling not needing air my legs gave out on me and I blacked out!!! I've had many other episodes where my vision goes blurry then I can't see and my legs gave out needing assistance in getting to a couch!!! I'm having trouble swallowing anything thinking chunky, I just went through esophagus xrays and testing they say it may be the medicine I can't eat rarely eat in dehydrated but don't wanna go back to Dr again."

Sunnyyynseaside March 12, 2016

For Pain: "I absolutely wouldn't survive without my gabapentin. However, I'm finding that anytime I miss a dose (3-800s a day) that I have bouts of rls for a few days. Anyone else have this issue. Mind u, to my knowledge, I never had rls before. I'm pretty sure this medication causes it to happen for me. But idk, I'm not finding many ppl online with the same problem. Can someone say if they are. I'm 30, so medications like this has only been going on for 5 or so years. I have too many issues to list by the biggest r all but one vertibrate that are both deteriorated and herniated. And, I have a psudeo tumor of the brain (lots of spinal fluid build up, not yet fixed at all). D.j.d. and also a bad case of r.a. as well. Thanks"

meghan-help please March 9, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I was prescribed GABAPENTIN for sciatica related to back pain. The medication did nothing at all to relieve the terrible pain I was having in my back, buttock and thigh. The only side effect I had though was some drowsiness and inabilty to concentrate. I was still not able to return to work due to the pain and side effects"

Acinfantry March 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been diagnosed with GAD, Panic Disorder and PTSD. I was having a hard time managing my anxiety with my Zoloft and Xanax only combo so my pdoc prescribed 300 mg Gabapentin 1/day. I did not feel much relief from this dose and it was upped to 300 mg 3/day. It's been 4 months and I have since had to increase to 600 mg 3/day and it's been really working for me. I do not have many side effects. I can tell if I miss a dose as withdrawal symptoms come rather quickly. I have not gained or lost weight. I am not overly tired and it does not make me feel restless. Overall, this med is working for me and I am glad my pdoc suggested I try it."

AbbyNelson March 8, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I have been taking gabapemtin now for 7 months and can't believe how good this medication works..not only for RLS, but for craving alcohol. These pills (800mgx3) plus AA is sobriety all the way."

Kitty Kat 1974 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2016

For Pain: "I took Gabapentin for 7 months. It did nothing to help the sciatic pain. I kept hoping it would eventually help the pain but the side effects and getting lost and confused in a familiar place that made me quit taking it. I also experienced garbled speech and balance issues. I weened myself off of it after talking to my doctor. I was having severe memory problems also and hope it gets better."

logonre March 6, 2016

For Anxiety: "I just started gabapetin a week ago 1100mg2xday didn't notice anything am going to up the dose to 1200mg2xday I also take a benzodiazepine 3xday for anxiety"

pillgirly (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I tapered up to 1200mg / day, starting in September of 2015. I have noted some stabilizing of My night restless leg syndrome and a near total absence of stabbing pains in the lower legs that would occur at intervals. I don't note adverse side effects; just happy my sciatic nerve pain has markedly decreased in the process. Some constipation noted at first, but that has resolved. I've had bladder incontinence for some time and that continues as I had no expectation of that being altered by neurontin. Life goes on and I'm functioning slower now, but still get out."

Andy1050 March 5, 2016

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "I was prescribed 300 MG in the early stages of Shingles, for what I don't know. Since the Shingles kept getting worse, they changed my prescription. It started out as an "ear infection". It didn't do anything for or to me. Crazy....."

Moyajor (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Taking 1200 MG twice a day & still have a pain level of 7"

Slkchk513 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2016

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "Originally prescribed for seizures, once I developed neuropathy my dose was more than doubled (300x3 to 800x3). It works pretty well, though it has a bit of an odd sedation about it at the higher dose. It also makes me a bit clumsy. Overall pretty good, not quite as good as painkillers, but without the nausea and tolerance problems of all that."

muDraconis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

For Pain: "I have been taking 16 years. I take 800 mg 4 times a day. The meds work Great. I am able to do most things. I am 52 and have had 7 hip replacements. About two years ago I started having tooth problems. I discovered major gum recession. Yesterday I had my first round of skin graphs. The doctor knew it was from Neurotin. He has had several patients having taken as little as 2 months to me 16 years. The doctor originally thought I needed 3 grafts. I only had enough to graph two. Three months from today I have to do two more grafts. Had I known this I would of never taken Neurotin."

RalphBoz March 2, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I found that this was the only thing that helped with my pain & I'm so lucky to finally be able to function now! It works wonders for me!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "Gabapentin does not work for Rsd, It must be name brand Neurontin for this disease. It it so much more expensive but you will save yourself so much agony by not using the generic form of this medicine."

amy sch March 1, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "On Gabapentin orginally due to back pain and lost my job of 13 years health issues. Prescribed gabapentin a few hundred for a few yrs. for back pain later moved went to 3200 mlgs a day for Fibromyalgia. Later moved back I hurt so bad because of Gab. I could barely walk, lost my senses, thinking ability, coordination, my joints hurt, & my nose omg. Then a physc. diagnosed me of having a mild ID because of it I'm off of it feeling much better & will see him soon this is going to be interesting trying to get out of the diagnoses. Withdrawals from it suck too."

Gabapentin & Fibromyalgia February 27, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "This has been a game changer for me. You are told by so many women, the horror stories of menopause, but until you go through it, you don't really understand how bad it can get. The FDA has approved gabapentin to help control the signs and symptoms of menopause and it does just that. I have not experienced any negative side effects from the gabapentin; please note that the recommended dosage is 300 mg and I have been able to control my side effects with 200 mg. If you are suffering from the side effects of menopause, I would highly suggest that you ask your doctor if this is a drug that you would be eligible to take, taking in consideration any other conditions you have or medications you are taking."

Brandy4557 February 26, 2016

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "I had a cyst removed from my spinal cord, cervical (neck) region; I recovered well, but the cyst had permanently damaged my spinal cord. I was eventually given this drug, Gabapentin, which I take 1800mg per day. The pain and other sensations are not completely taken away, but I can do basic household chores for 20 minutes at a time without feeling too hampered. I can also sleep through the night. Side effects for me (female, 38 years) are slight constipation (handy, as I have double incontinence!) and more fuzziness/clumsiness than usual. I felt dizzy and 'doped-up' at times when I first started taking the meds, but this sort of thing improved over the weeks. I recommend trying this drug if typical strong pain meds haven't worked for you."

Nicky of Hull February 25, 2016

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Postherpetic Neuralgia: "I experienced severe nerve pain following a second bout of shingles less than 3 months apart. During a 2 year period my doctors tried me on regular Gabapentin in combination with other medications - all with severe side effects and no relief from the constant pain and lack of a good night sleep. I gained over 50 lbs as well. My neurologist prescribed Horizant twice a day and my life changed almost over night! I choose not to take it in combination with anything else other than 800 mg Ibuprofen when needed because concerns of past side effects. Eventhough my nerve pain has continued two years later and another bout of shingles I have been able to manage the pain with Horizant."

True Believer February 25, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I'm a 45 year old female,diagnosed with fibromyalgia,chronic fatigue syndrome since 2000,i have been on many different medications to ease my pain,about 3 months ago i started taking gabapentin and can honestly say that i feel so much better i take 300mg in the day and 600mg at bedtime,i sleep well and my pain has decreased tremendously,it does gives me headaches but i take 1000mg of extra strength tylenol and the headache is gone plus it helps the gabapentin work longer so im grateful and i haven't gained any weight but i sometimes experience pain in my fingers, they get stiff but overall im thankful for this medication and will continue to take it as long as it works for my body"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "Started taking gabbapentin in rehab. 600 mg at bedtime. 300 mg in morning... Fast forward 18 months and I take 100 mg at bedtime. This medication saved my life in addition to AA."

Anonymous February 23, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "First off it is really unfair of me to "rate" this medication. I have just started on it. Low dose of 100mg 2 times a day and 200mg at bed time. I have decided to comment is I had a good discussion with my Pharmacist about this prior to taking it. I have mild Cerebral Palsy (have since birth 53 years ago) and various other spine problems. Most recently and MRI showed that I have bone spurs on my L3, L4 and L5, with the L5 pushing on the nerve.. thus Sciatic pain down my right side... extreme much of the time. My Pharmacist said not to expect this medication to work over night. In fact he stated I was on a low dose and it was best to increase it gradually likely 4 months! I will keep you posted!"

Kattales (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016