User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 13)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 294 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1060 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Pain: "Took this med for peripheral neuropathy in feet, legs and finger tips from long term untreated hypothyroidism. 300mg 3 times a day. Very little relief when first started. Then after a few months the pain got worse. Also does a number on your stomach. I stopped it and had no withdraws and feel a whole lot better. Need to look for something else for this horrible nerve pain."

Slim Jim (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

For Insomnia: "I had recent foot surgery and experienced nerve discomfort while in the hospital. I was started on Neurontin which did help my nerve discomfort about 80% and made me very sleepy for the first week. After that I experienced insomnia which I found more distressing than the nerve discomfort. I am currently in the process of weaning myself off this med."

LQ September 19, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm 31 and have severe anxiety and problems with my heart racing dangerously fast for no apparent reason. I take a beta-blocker which slows my heart rate, but I still felt really anxious and panicky all the time! I'm also on methadone so my Dr. Would not prescribe me any benzos for my anxiety for fear I would get addicted to them! She tried every kind of antidepressant but none really worked. Just. A few months ago she prescribed me 1x300mg 3x a day of gabapentin, and now my anxiety is completely under control I, feel like I have a new lease on life ,and feel much more comfortable in my own skin."

Ray420 September 17, 2015

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've suffered from bi polar and depression for years . I was on lexapro for over a decade and cymbalta for a bit. Weaned myself off of everything and tried natural stuff like holy basil and lithium oratate. The natural stuff mildly helped but I still had crazy mood swings. For many of my earlier years I battled with alcohol and did about any drug to alleviate and forget a childhood with and alcoholic father and crazy mother. One day at work my neck was out the pain unbearable co worker gave me a few lyrica pills. It eased the pain but after taking them for 2 days I realized I felt balanced and calm for the first time in years. I told my Dr and he prescribed gabapentin. My son suffered for yrs. If only I been on it sooner he'd had a happier life."

Killin me smalls September 12, 2015

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Neuropathic Pain: "Frustrated with sciatica, I popped a couple Gabapentin (600mg) to see if relief. (My family member had them for migraines but never used them) Two things became evident after about an hour and a half: 1) the sciatica was still there but pain was vague and I didn't care about it; 2) at my usual Saturday night binge drinking hour - 3PM - I had no desire to drink. Ever since I discovered this miracle drug I've barely drank, no hangovers, just feel great. Miracle drug may save my liver, life, and marriage."

Gibson Player (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "Gabapentin has significantly helped my pain due to neuropathy disorder. I take it for numbness of hands with shooting severe pain during sleep which wakes me 3 to 4 times a night. I must get up, wash hands with hot water then use a heating pad till they settle enough to sleep again. It does not take all the symptoms away but any relief is greatly appreciated."

motduf September 10, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have drop foot in both feet and horrible burning and tingling and electric shock waves with muscle cramps....I haven't been on this medicine very long ! Help?"

Anonymous September 9, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "It reduced the nerve pain by 30 percent, but I had to take 1800mg a day to do it. The side effects seemed to increase the longer I was taking it. The main side effects I had were fatigue,weight gain, sexual disfunction, excesive hunger. After taking it for a few years I decided it wasn't worth it and used massage therapy instead that improved my circulation without the side effects and reduced the pain just as much or more."

techguy1046 September 7, 2015

For Insomnia: "I take either 1 gabapentin and 2 zzzquil or 2 gabapentin and 1 zzzquil and I sleep like a baby all night! I normally fall asleep relatively quickly and wake up around 2 or 3am with terrible back pain and am practically up the rest of the night. Ever since this combo I have finally found rest! The 2 on their own did nothing for me just fyi"

sleeplessman101 September 6, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I have been on gabapentin for 1 year. I take 300mg. 3 times a day. I was prescribed to take double the amount for hot flashes. I have only taken this amount for 6 days and am praying that I will get relief soon."

hot not in a good way (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2015

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "I had many symptoms at first, especially imbalance, and drowsiness. I could never drive my car during the use of this medication. But overall, it helped with the sharp needle-like stabbing pain all over the area in which my shingles spread. I was worse case my doctor and neurologist had ever seen. When the shingle scabs had fallen and my doctor said the episode was over, I had no pain. Then suddenly from nowhere terrific pain began to increase to the point where my doctor had to prescribe this medicine. I've only been on this medicine since June. It is now September and dosage has only been increased once ( to 1800 mg per day)."

dailyjab September 6, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I'm answering a question from a lady who has recently detoxed from drugs and as an ex user myself ( all opiates & tablets) I offer my sympathy . Restless leg syndrome is a horrible condition that I have struggled with for years, Gabapentin hasn't helped for me so I was put on Pre-gabulin 300mg twice a day, I must say it has been heaven to sleep through the night, although they can make you drowsy if you are on a high dose, which I am, but I'm sure your doctor will find the correct dosage that suits you best. I certainly hope that I have helped in some way. Good Luck."

Poorly Lady (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have stage 3 Bipolar disorder, Bipolar disorder is a really bad thing, it consumes your life, taking pieces of memory and taken friends in the process. Also makes you say and do things you would've never imagined you were capable of some things. I managed to fall in love with my husband of 15 yrs and have 2 Beautiful amazing little boys. but still even being blessed with what I have and who I have in my life. I've tried therapy, yoga, medication after medication that failed to work. Then one-day I went to another doctor for another opinion on my diagnosis And was told the same thing. My doc then put me on neurontin, it has been a saviour, it truly works, I urge you to try it, bc it works!! And isn't even a narcotic."

Angalia September 2, 2015

For Migraine: "I'm actually a chronic cluster headache patient for over 30 years. Started when I got sober in 82. Cleveland Clinic finally figured out what the problem was. Now for about 10 years I've been on the Gabapentin as part of my medical cocktail. We just had to increase the dosage today from 600 to 900 as the clusters were back on a nightly alarm clock basis. Well, tonight I have been headache free and hoping this increase will do the trick. Has worked before but maybe just time for increase in my dosage. Prayers please. These clusters are no fun. Thanks and good luck to all headache patients."

Dickfromftmyers September 1, 2015

For Pain: "Have sacroilliac joint pain is so unbearable at times have been taking for five days now and only in evening helpful to sleep for awhile but no pain relief"

SHAKE D August 30, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I'm a recovering drug addict (all opiates) and I have restless leg, degenerative disk disease and and severe nerve damage for almost 20 years now. My RLS has kept me up for 5 days at a time. Night time and early in the morning I would be going absolutely insane, crying and screaming and hallucinating from lack of sleep. I know a lot of u have been thru it too and my heart goes out to u. Anyway I know this is a real problem for the recovering addicts out there and a major cause of relapses, I've been to the rodeo a few times myself. My gabapentin stopped working a few months ago, gradually. I'm already on a high dose at 1800, can't go up. any ideas? Thanks."

pain_lady August 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "In 2013 I had 16 E.R visits, 11 EKG's and 4 times the paramedics came to get me. This was all due to panic disorder/attacks. This started as a child due to abuse but by the time I turned 9 the panic attacks had subsided, but eventually showed back up when I turned about 27 out of no where. I took SEVERAL other meds but this one has helped me greatly! I would like to say that if you are dealing with severe anxiety check to see if you have an iron deficiency also check for heavy metals and toxins. I was severely anemic and had a build of heavy metals. Once I detoxed my body and changed my diet my panic attacks and depression went away! I no longer have to take this med."

detox queen August 28, 2015

For Spondylolisthesis: "I've had arthritis for over 30 yrs, which has developed into stenosis & sciatica w/spondylolistesis which means I have no fluid in my disc. Just found our thru on MRI that this is what's pinching on my sciatica nerve, the disc. Was in so much pain for three weeks I couldn't walk without help. Now am taking the gabapentin an am glad to finally be sleeping better instead of getting up every hour. Can't say that it's totally helped. Started out taking 300 mg 3 times a day. Just up to 600 mg 3 times a day. The gabapentin has seemed to improve my mood. I'm just happy to be sleeping. Hope to get more relief with the increase in mg's before I have surgery."

Linda, 59 yrs old August 28, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have to agree with so many people who have given positive reviews for gabapentin. I take 300 mg four times daily, and I am living in peace and can live comfortably in my skin for the first time in my life. I am much more productive, happy, and things just roll off my back that usually would cause me great anger or disruption. I noticed that I sleep better too. What I like is that this medication does not drug me up the way so many other medicines that I've tried for anxiety have done. I also take it for severe lower back pain, and it helps a great deal as well. I recommend this to anybody who is thinking of trying it."

Greatful Gal (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2015

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Gabapentin helps me fall asleep, but I wake up always eight hours after I take it. It makes me feel a little groggy, but I use it for when I get sleepless nights. Fall in love people, your insomnia will go away. Everytime my soulmate is close to me I sleep like a baby!"

lals August 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on every medication. I was diagnosed with Bipolar when I was 16. I am now about to turn 35 and have never been as stable as I am now since I started neurontin. This is the first time I have had success for my bipolar disorder. And even helps me with my depression. Somehow I get out of bed every morning which rarely ever happened. I am able to take care of my children now. And it even seems to help me with my pain."

Knorg14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "I am on 600 mg morning, 600 mg mid day and 1200 mg at bedtime for nerve pain (complex regional pain syndrome), I notice little relief. A lot of side effects, sleepy, foggy minded just to name a few. I have been on it for almost 6 months, started at 300mg 3 times a day. Hoping for relief."

Shay1771 August 24, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "Doc said take 900mg a day, I've reduced to 6mg a day. Herniated disc l-4,l-5. I sleep better at night. I think back pain is some better. I take tamsulosin so I'm sort of dizzy anyhow. 74 years old, active/athletic golf, offshore fishing etc. Thinking of surgery but maybe it's inevitable. Will wait & see. Would prefer no drugs but only on this 6 weeks..My body has always healed itself. I think God will do it again."

rickydicky August 23, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I was prescribed Gabapentin by my Oncologist last month as my hot flashes and night sweats due to taking tamoxifen, following breast cancer, were getting out of control. I couldn't believe that they totally vanished from the first night of taking 300mg before bedtime. I'm sleeping like a baby for the first time in months and feel fully ready to take on the world again!"

MaisieGsy August 22, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "This medication completely stopped all of the pain I experienced, to the point that I had to do a body check each night to see if I had hurt myself during the day. However, within 2 months of starting this medication (a VERY low dose), I was suicidal, and had to be taken off of it at 2 1/2 months. If it weren't for the side effects, I would give this medication a 10. Due to the side effects (horrendous, in my opinion), I've given it a 1."

Amanda F August 20, 2015