User Reviews for Nexplanon (Page 3)

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"I got my Nexplanon inserted on 04/12/2012 which was day 3 of my cycle, bleeding stopped 2 hours after insertion. I have had some unpredictable bleeding, mostly waking up bleeding and then by the end of the day there would be nothing. I have had no other side effects and since hitting the three month mark I haven't had any bleeding. I'm very happy with it. I was worried about my weight being an issue, as I am very overweight but my OB assured me it would not be a problem."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had it inserted in Nov 2014 I've a period heavy and little everyday it's very stressful and expensive to be buying pads. Also, I refuse to have set with my husband knowing that I'm bleeding. VERY DISAPPOINTED. I like implanon better at least my periods came every 2-3 months I can deal with that. Will be calling my doctor tomorrow"

SNT March 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had the Nexplanon implant for almost 8 months now and it has been amazing. I have not had a period since the implantation, but this has been my only side effect. I love the convenience of not having to worry about taking a pill every day, and would definitely recommend this method of birth control. I know it can affect everyone differently, but I saw tons of scary reviews on here before I got mine done, and wanted to leave a positive review about how great it has been for me."

Torinm September 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had my Nexplanon for two months now. No weight gain, no mood swings (which is why I switched), no periods. I'm usually extremely sensitive to side effects and the ONLY thing bad I've encountered is constant spotting... just a little here and there when I wipe. But for not having periods or craziness, I can handle it."

RoseElizabeth October 18, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had a great experience with Nexplanon. I have not experienced any side effects at all. I've actually lost weight since I've been on it. Yes the arm was bruised for a few days but that went away fast. It's way better than getting pregnant! I've spotted for a short period of time and did not experience my period the first month. I'm in heaven with it. Painless procedure, didn't feel a thing."

ROXIEKAT (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had spotting for about 2-3 months, and my breast were ridiculously tender and hurt. But after that I had no more spotting and haven't had a period since. I also have not gained any weight (actually lost 10 lbs). Have occasional acne but nothing severe or long lasting. Overall worth it to me. However spotting in he beginning."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 26, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Nexplanon for 5 months and it's just great. No periods, no babies. My sex drive is down a little and I've put on a few pounds, but it's worth it to have no periods. I took my last month of pills at the beginning to transition, and I think that helped - I had a very brief period one month in but haven't seen it since."

Katesfan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had Nexplanon since May of 2013, it is now September of 2014 and I am pleased to say it has been a good experience. I haven't gained any weight on Nexplanon. I actually feel like my sex drive has increased. I haven't had issues with acne. I've had a period that hasn't lasted longer than a week and a half and have only one every few months. After reading other reviews I feel extremely lucky. The only thing I have to complain about would be that every now and then if I lay on my arm with the injection site I sometimes experience discomfort but that seems like a small issue and after my third year I plan on getting Nexplanon again. Hope this helps!"

Sarah CB September 4, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recently had the implant put in and would like to share my first thoughts; I plan to do an update in 3-6 months. The initial pain of having the implant inserted was mild - I would rate it even less painful than a shot. Your arm will be sore for a few days and there will be bruising, but nothing to get excited about. It has now been 2 weeks and I can't even tell that it is there except when I feel for the implant on purpose. My doctor warned of immediate and persistent bleeding/spotting, but I haven't experienced that so far. I've been losing weight for the past few months (on purpose) and haven't noticed a difference since the implant. No major issues with acne. Everybody is different, but don't let the negative reviews scare you!"

Aubbles (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 17 years old. I had the Nexplanon inserted 1 year ago. I was getting the Depo shots for 2 years before I got the implant because I had very heavy and long periods. I got sick of going in every month for a shot so I figured getting the implant that lasts 3 years would be perfect and I wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant. I haven't had a period since I got the implant, no spotting or any bleeding at all. I didn't gain any weight from it. Its not common for people to gain weight from it. But if you do eat healthy and exercise and you should be fine."

sammylea (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 3, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have really good experience with Nexpalnon. After insertion my arm was sore about a week, after that I could go back to my gym and daily routine. It doesn't bother me at all. No migraines, no gain weight, no skin problems. My mood is the same maybe even better, I'm not that moody like before. I was some irregular bleeding about a month but it was very little. After a month I don't have period (hallelujah) and no bleeding at all. Only disadvantage I found is my libido. I noticed my sex drive changed quite significantly. I really recommend it !"

yokaz86 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried many birth control methods (the pill, an IUD, NuvaRing, etc.) and I hated every one of them until I got the Nexplanon. I've had it for a couple of months and I can't even feel the rod inside my arm. I have very minimal side effects (occasional spotting) and I even lost some weight. I also don't feel different, emotionally, which is good. Overall, this is by far the best birth control I have ever tried."

KaraLyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After I had my baby in September, I decided to get Nexplanon. I got it implanted in November and had normal periods for about two months and then they stopped altogether!"

Keyvers (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got Nexplanon inserted at my 6 week checkup after having my daughter in July 2014. I have experienced 20lb weight gain since, severe cramps, depression, nonexistent libido and nauseousness. Definitely works as birth control, but isn't worth the side effects."

vbcgb1225 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"As far as effectiveness I went through 3 years no babies! Lots of spotting, sometimes long periods maybe 10 days, no mood swings, no depression! Nothing much really! A few breakouts every now and then but mine expired and because my husband and I agreed we just got a new one in!... VERY EFFECTIVE AND I LOVE IT. MY COUSIN ALSO HAS IT AND SHE LOVES IT MORE THAN I DO because she has NO side effects at all."

la negra (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had nexplanon implanted on 9-25-14 I didn't have a period for maybe the first 5 days after then I started to bled very heavy which lasted for 2 weeks subsided lightly then when me and partner tried intercourse it came back and now has been on every since then getting it took out next month I miss sex a lot !! Don't recommend it but everyone is different"

Dreia October 31, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the only thing that seemed to help my horrible periods, as it got rid of them completely, but it made my depression so much worse that it's just not worth it for me. I'm sad though, because other than that this worked so well for me. If you don't have problems with depression its worth a try."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First off: Please, please, please have your estrogen and progesterone levels checked before starting nexplanon. It will save you so much time and trouble. If you have low levels of progesterone (like me) this will work miracles for you. However, if you already have high levels of progesterone this might make you irritable, give you acne, cause weight gain, etc. (these are symptoms of having high progesterone levels). I've always had migraine with aura so my birth control selection was limited to progesterone only along with non-hormonal options. I haven't had a migraine since starting this, my adult acne has cleared up, my depression has lessened, and I haven't had any spotting or periods! But seriously ladies, get those hormones checked!"

nexplanonforthewin (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the Nexplanon about 3 months ago, I'm gonna break down my list of issues. I have been bleeding/spotting every since then, total change in my hair texture (bad), Acne which I have always had clear skin, always feeling down, weight gain, weak, and no energy whatsoever. I have done everything but the Depo Provera shot, I guess I just gotta take my chances. Wish I didn't have to take it out but I can't deal with ALL.... the side effects. Hope this helps anyone."

Monnie101 January 7, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on the second year of having Nexplanon. At first, I loved having it because I didn't have to remember to take the pill every day and my periods stopped all together. Then the 2nd year I started getting random spotting and now I have been having my period for 3 months on and off, weeks at a time. I thought it would go away, but it continuously happens, so I'm getting it taken out. Its a highly effective birth control especially since I get my period every week now. I haven't experienced any weight gain or mood swings at all though!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Constant bloating, my breast have grown from a small C to large D. Gained about 20 lbs since March. I have no bleeding but I do get acne and cramping."

Laconstica December 16, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had the Nexplanon for about four months. It was annoying for a good month and a half almost two from constant bleeding and spotting. But after that I have not had a period. It's great, only now I sometime realize it gets itchy but than the urge to itch goes away. Would definitely recommend to others. If having the bleeding and spotting for long times I would hang in there. It gets better just have to wait it out."

Darian (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Everything is great. I've had it for about two and a half months, no bad side effects. I've gained like four pounds, but it's not the end of the world. I've also had lots of spotting, which is expected and that should stop since I haven't had Nexplanon for very long. Besides those two things, nothing bad and I love it."

Anonymous February 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nexplanon is my first birth control. I have had it for about 5 months now. I had it inserted about 8 weeks after I had my first baby. For the first week after it was inserted, I had a "normal" period and after that, it went away and I have not had another period at all (not even spotting!) I have not gained weight. I have not had any side effects. If you don't want periods, I think it works best if you are breastfeeding at the time you get it."

Ani_28 March 13, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first few months I loved it! Then I started bleeding for weeks then it would stop for a few days and come right back. I always have cramps and feel bloated, I have gained 25lbs! Now I have to be double birth controlled."

Heatherkins18 January 2, 2015