User Reviews for Loestrin 1 / 20

Learn more about Loestrin 1/20.

Postmenopausal Symptoms 1 reviews 202 medications

6.5
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 2 reviews 169 medications

Summary of Loestrin 1/20 reviews 17 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Loestrin 1/20

For Birth Control "I took this pill for a week. ONE week. In that time I began seriously contimplating my own suicide as well as found myself in the hospital for what I believe to be a full detachment from reality. Since then, I have had multiple seuizures and lost numerous days of memory. I have no definitive proof that the birth control cause all of these issues, but I believe so strongly that they are connected that I feel I must warn anyone considering trying this pill. I will also be keeping an eye out for those lawsuit commercials one day so I can be the first in line to state my very heated opinion."

Jaz303 October 20, 2016

For Menstrual Disorders "I started my periods at about 12 and it was hell : heavy, painful, unpredictable. Started this pill at about 14 and it was a godsend (so to speak...). A couple of years on, new GP didn't check my age before seeing me and upped my prescription to a stronger pill. Period was late, painful and strangely coloured, acne started acting up and I was emotional. I went back and begged (crying...) another GP to put me back on loestrin. She was mystified as to why it was changed in the first place. Everything immediately went back to normal. I'm still on it now, 4 years later and have not encountered any side-effects."

deathbyperioditwas (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2016

For Menstrual Disorders "I'm 31 & have used many birth control options, beginning with the patch @ 19 then going to the pill within the year. My MD RX'd me the loestrin 1/20 a year ago. This past year proved the best for me as far as overall health: fewer skin breakouts, MUCH lighter & shorter periods (i frequently donate blood and am not iron-defficient anemic), better sex drive (husband loves), and moodiness not as bad. I have gained 7lb of weight but cannot pinpoint it directly to this pill as I have chosen a less healthy lifestyle the past year. The only negative about this pill for me was I did not stay on a 28 day cycle and had breakthrough bleeding. Today, MD changed me to loestrin 1.5/30 for this reason."

Cheralana (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 2, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "After the first 3 weeks it was amazing. The first 3 weeks I had horrible headaches and nausea but once my body got used to the hormones that went away and I had little to no side effects. I did have weight gain, but I've had that with all the BC's I've tried. I had very heavy periods with awful cramps that were making me miss school/work, and this made my periods very light, regular and with very tolerable cramps. Life saver. I haven't had as good of luck on the "generics" of the loestrin but it got very expensive and then discontinued. Oh, and also no pregnancy."

AliS86888 January 27, 2016

For Birth Control "After only taking this pill 14 days I made the decision to discontinue it. For me this medication makes me miserable. The problems I experienced were: major anxiety, irritability and agitation; nausea, one episode of extreme dizziness and headache to the point I wondered if I was having a stroke; breast tenderness, fluid retention; fatigue; strange dryness around my gums; abdominal cramps and a noticeable change in my bowel movements; an absolute loss of libido. It is hard to believe that a little BC pill can wreck your physical and emotional well-being in less than 14 days. I will never take this pill again!"

Loestrinstinks September 14, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started taking Loestrin20 three weeks ago and today, after seeing my doctor, I was forced to stop it. From day one, I have been experiencing all sorts of awful side effects: numbness in all extremities and face, fainting, problems with breathing, headaches, weakness and dizziness to the point that I couldn't drive to work. I ended up in hospital, twice. I never had issues in the past with birth control pills, but this one is not suitable for me, while thousands of women are fine taking it. If you experience bad side effects, Please interrupt your treatment and see your doctor asap. Birth control pills shouldn't cause major side effects, and if they do it's a clear sign that you are at risk and must look for a better option!!"

goldenalice September 10, 2015

For Birth Control "This is the first pill that I've tried which I've liked being on; I've had no acne, my periods are more manageable with mood swings GREATLY reduced (a blessing). My breasts also grew which I was pleased about as I'm usually a B cup. I had a little soreness from that but not huge amount. The only downside is weight gain. I've put on a couple of pounds and cannot seem to shift it, which is very unusual for me. I'm eating 1500 calories per day and have a varied, healthy diet but I still seem to be maintains or even gaining weight, which is a little depressing. I'm not sure I will give up on it just yet though as its great in all other respects."

Raraavis (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on Loestrin 1/20 for about a year and a half, and on Loestrin 24 Fe before that. I loved both of the pills and would highly recommend them, for most people. However, I had to stop taking Loestrin 1/20 because my doctor and I believe that it is the reason behind me not having a period at all for 3 months. Up until that happened, the pill was fine. A little acne around the time of the period, but that happened before I was on birth control. No weight gain, no bloating, very few cramps, and no moodiness at all."

SCPiper April 6, 2015

For Birth Control "I did not have a good experience on Loestrin. Breakouts got worse, had bad mood swings, and breakthrough bleeding. However, I was only on it for a month and a week, so this might not be a fair evaluation. Couldn't stand the side effects though, so had to get off of it."

ksh129129 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2014

For Birth Control "My cramps got worst my period got heavier and last longer"

keke, 18 March 5, 2013

For Birth Control "At first I loved this birth control. I used to have a heavy period, with loads of cramps. Then I got on this and had no cramps and very little bleeding. The only downfall of this was after a week or two on it my breakouts became very bad. I have really sensitive skin so this could be because of that. But also, I've read other reviews and acne was a side effect of this specific type."

Anonymous January 11, 2010

For Birth Control "Loved this! I took three weeks and then started a new pack so I never had a period. Loved that! Since it is so low in estrogen, I was able to do that. Took for 10+ years but got off as I got close to 40 years old. Recommended it to all of my friends and everyone who switched over loved it."

Anonymous November 2, 2009

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "Helps cut down on mood swings and hot flashes. Higher dose pills may make symptoms worse."

sue0815 September 24, 2009

For Birth Control "This is my first time on any birth control, it was wonderful. Too bad it's so expensive even with insurance - that would be the one down side."

Anonymous May 9, 2009

For Birth Control "Excellent."

annelea11 November 4, 2008

For Endometriosis "Taking this medication for endometriosis has made all my symptoms better. I no longer have the horrible cramping and irregular bleeding. There isn't any more inflamation but i do suffer acne and have gained 15lbs in the past 2 months using loestrin"

eva6987 March 6, 2008

For Endometriosis "I've gotten sudden outbreaks of acne with this medication making it almost impossible to schedule activities without having shame!"

eva6987 March 6, 2008