User Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control (Page 11)

Ortho Evra Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra

"In the fourth month of using the patch, and my first time on hormonal birth control. I'm mid 40s, never smoked, slightly high blood pressure but my doctor didn't think it would cause further elevation. I really like it. It's not as cheap as a generic pill, but wonderful not to worry about missing a dose. The patch sticks on fine, and adhered again well if caught on a slipped bra strap when I wore on my outer arm. I'm now wearing on my butt and it's fine. It will leave a mark that doesn't easily come off for days and is prone to picking up lint on the sides, but I am okay with that. No weight gain, moodiness or other issues. May have had a pimple or two in the first months, short nausea with the very first application, and heavier periods with additional but slight cramping. My sex drive dropped for a time but has returned to normal and I have no problems there. I think I feel a bit low emotionally the week it's off. Overall, no concerns I can't live with, and I love the easy protection and confidence of seeing it on."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2012

"I have been on the patch for about 6 months now, and I absolutely love it! It is much simpler than the pill, because you don't have to worry about forgetting about it! I've found that since starting it, my skin has been better, I don't get headaches, my sex drive is normal, no weight gain, and not as moody! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is annoyed with the dailiness of the pill."

Anonymous May 9, 2012

"I have only been on the patch for about a month, but I think that it's long enough for me to have a somewhat legit opinion on this medicine. So far, so good. I was on the pill before I started this, and I never remembered to take it. I would be hours late, sometimes missing it all together, and being sexually active, that's pretty risky. I love that I only have to change it once a week. I hate how sometimes it sticks to my underwear, and when I pull them down to use the restroom, they pull on it. But that's all about where on the butt you put it. I'm on my patch off week and I'm having awful cramping. That's the only downfall. All in all, great."

Anonymous May 3, 2012

"I was on the patch for 4 years and loved it. I tried wearing it on my pelvis but my pants always rubbed it off so I wore it on my lower back with no problems. Sure, I wasn't thrilled with the lint around the edges but that's a small price to pay for no unplanned pregnancy! I stopped using it in August 2009 and easily got pregnant in September. I quickly had a second baby and got the Mirena, which gave me hellish side effects. I'm going back to my OB next week to get back on the patch!"

Anonymous April 24, 2012

"I have been on Ortho Evra for three months and my experiences so far have been okay. The very first week of starting the patch, I was very nauseous, had some diarrhea, and very bad headaches (however I think this would be the case with most methods). Usually the first week is the worst. Since then, I've had random headaches and nausea (mostly on the patch "change" days). Unfortunately, I had terrible abnormal vaginal bleeding that seemed to be like a heavy period for a little bit over two weeks. My only other complaint is that the patch gets stuck to my clothing a lot and it concerns me. Sometime it gets bubbles in it or it looks like its falling off. However, I like the ease of use, and the fact that it is not a pill."

Anonymous April 19, 2012

"I've only been on the patch for a few months, and I think it's much better than a daily pill. Two things are getting to me though--nausea and a little acne. I've never had any problems with acne before, and I'm noticing some (not a ridiculous amount, but still more than I'm used to) since I started the patch. Also, it seems like on my change day, I get extremely nauseous. I work in a kitchen, so that makes it tricky. I'm going to try something else for a while, but I may be back on the patch afterward."

Anonymous April 15, 2012

"I think I had every possible side effect there was to have with this birth control. I gave this method several attempts and still FAIL. I had rashes wherever I put it, skin discoloration, constant yeast infections (no matter the placement), headaches, nausea, it kept coming off, bloating. The one good thing I can say about it is (no babies). Good luck, everyone is different."

Anonymous April 5, 2012

"I am currently on day 5 of the patch and have had very very light spotting, but have been an emotional wreck all day. I think this is due to work related stress too though. I thought it would be just another form of contraception that is useless to me, but after reading everyones reviews, I feel sooo much better! I have PCOS, so I am using it to regulate my periods. I also feel better that some people got pregnant as soon as they stopped using it. "

Anonymous March 19, 2012

"My experience on ortho evra was not a pleasant one. My main symptoms were bad nausea, painful soreness in my breasts and terrible mood swings. I've been on the patch for almost 3 years now. Thought that it was great because of the efficient one time a week system. But didn't realize how 60% more estrogen then every other birth control could affect your body. "

Caylan March 19, 2012

"Before being on the patch, I took two different birth control pills and was on the Nuvaring. I had a lot of problems with those which I'm not facing with the patch (acne, extreme tiredness, moodiness, yeast infections, bacterial vaginitis, weight gain, etc). I'll admit that I've had pretty bad cramps and extreme changes in my mood when my period comes. I feel a little out of whack, but it's worth it compared to the alternative side effects I've experienced! The first day of a new patch, I'm always extremely tired and a bit nauseous as well. It also does leave a sticky ring and cause irritation, but it doesn't bother me. You can see a few faded square marks on my back from previous weeks.. a little weird. Overall, the best birth control I've experienced so far! Easy, reliable, etc."

Anonymous March 18, 2012

"I've been on it for a month and I am thinking of changing. I have had headaches so bad they make me want to cry 24/7. I also have been nauseous almost every single day after being on it for a week. I have been extremely emotional and had times when I feel very shaky. The fact that this puts of a lot more hormones then other birth control is the reason it is causing me to have these reactions I think."

Anonymous March 12, 2012

"I've been on birth control since 8th grade to help regulate my abnormal menstrual cycles. I was on combination pills, estrogen-only pills, and the depo shot before I finally tried the Ortho Evra patch. I've been on the patch for about 8 months now and I LOVE it! I use it for 3 weeks and have it off for the 4th week, as the directions say to, and it feels great to finally have a somewhat normal period and to know when I will start bleeding, and to not be bleeding when I'm not supposed to! I put it on my butt, alternating each cheek week to week. I haven't had any bad side effects, only very good ones like growing more than a full cup size and having a high sex drive. This is the best birth control I've ever been on!!"

IshCapeesh February 29, 2012

"I just started the patch a few days ago and I've been selling myself on the idea that it WILL work for me. I then sat back and looked at what was happening: Day 1: got my period (full blast) for 10 hours Day 2: emotional wreck Day 3: even more of an emotional wreck. Even a little depressed. Day 4: got my period again. Day 5: over it I don't think it's for me."

LWilly February 29, 2012

"I have been on the patch for about 2 years now, it is really good and simple to use, no weight gain no throwing up. After a year I decided to swap to the pill just to try and had a horrible time. I felt sick all of the time, was too moody and just wanted to be alone, my sex drive plumeted and everything felt horrible. I went back on the patch and everythings been fine since. The only problem is I get a square shaped rash wherever it has been."

Anonymous February 27, 2012

"I was only on the patch for two weeks and while I love the easy use of switching from one patch to another only once a week, I had a terrible headache for the first patch and the second one I had a horrible migraine that ended with me in the emergency room. I had to stop the easy use was great but the side effects were just awful"

Anonymous February 22, 2012

"I LOVE the Ortho Evra patch. I used it for 3 years, with no bad side effects. It is great because I was always forgetting the pill. I got off it to try for a baby on July 1st 2011 and got pregnant somewhere around July 6 2011. I fully believe it helped us get pregnant. I will be getting off again in a year to try for our next, and I hope it works like the first time. I will be using the patch for life!"

Anonymous February 20, 2012

"Although the convenience of only once a week is fabulous, the patch made me a complete emotional mess, there is no other way to say it. I was on the pill for 20 years with no side effects at all, so it has to be the extra estrogen. I could not even wait out the first month before I simply had to take it off. I suppose it may have gotten better, but I was irritable, over-sensitive, depressed, anxious and generally felt like I was going to come out of my skin. It also increased my appetite noticeably. Within hours of taking it off, I felt more calm and more myself."

Anonymous February 15, 2012

"I have been on the patch for 2 months now, my periods are not normal. I go two weeks and they are heavy, somethings thats not normal at all. I have cramps from time to time, but since the patch I do not experience any period pains."

Anonymous February 8, 2012

"I have been using Ortho Evra for almost three years now and I have had very few side effects. Before the patch I had no cramps signaling my menstruation but now I get minor cramps the week before with a little back pain. I never gained weight, I only went up a cup size. My period is now extremely predictable and I have never forgotten to change the patch. This is the best method of birth control that I have found and I absolutely love it."

Anonymous February 1, 2012

"I've been using the patch for about 2 months, so much easier than remembering to take the pill! Just stick it on and go. The only problem I've had with it is skin irritation(hives) on my back where I put it but easily solved by putting it on a different area next time! I haven't put on any weight bonus."

Anonymous January 29, 2012

"I used the patch before having kids. I have now been on the patch for 2 1/2 years and LOVE IT BUT I haven't had a period in 3 months now. All Pregnancy Test Are Negative and This Is Starting To Worry Me."

Anonymous January 26, 2012

"I love the patch. I have been on it almost 3 years now. My only problem with it is pulling it off. It tends to leave an outline on my body that is hard to remove. The best way to get rid of the outline is to just move the patch to another spot and let the previous spot clear up. I haven't gained any weight or had any side effects from it. My sex drive has increased but that is probably due to the fact that I feel so well protected when I am on the patch. I do have a concern about how long will it take me to get pregnant when my husband and I decide to have children, but I will cross that bridge when I get there."

Anonymous January 20, 2012

"I've been using Ortho Evra for almost 2 years, so far so good! I didn't get any of the initial side effects. The only thing its changed is some months my period is very light and I have less cramping. I have gained about 15lbs recently but that is probably due to my poor diet, or a combination of the two. Since this is the first major weight gain I've had since I was 16. (23 now). The cost is only $30 per box and that's without insurance, so I will continue with the patch."

Anonymous January 17, 2012

"I love this birth control! I've been on it for 2 years haven't a had an issue. I put it on my pelvis and switch sides every week. If I put it anywhere else, my pants would rub it off, or my shirt or bra strap would. Mild skin irritation occurs, besides that, I highly recommend it."

Anonymous January 16, 2012

"I've been on it two weeks and I have done nothing but vomit and cry. I feel miserable. I want to stay on it and give it a chance but with the way I feel it makes it really hard. "

Ember Rhayne January 12, 2012

More about Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin)

Other brands: Xulane