User Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control (Page 10)

Ortho Evra Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra

"This is the best birth control I've ever been on! I was put on the pill when I was 14 because I bled for around 15 days a month. Not fun. The pill didn't really help, I always had a lot of breakthrough bleeding, acne and migraines. After 9 years of trying different "types" of birth control pills (monophasic, biphasic, triphasic, high dose, low dose, Yaz, you name it, I was on it!), Implanon, and Paragard and no success, my doctor said that I could try the patch but otherwise she didn't know what to tell me. It worked! I have normal periods, no acne or headaches, and I'm so happy! My only complaint is sometimes the patch is kind of itchy, but it depends on where you put it. A great bet for people who've had problems with other kinds of birth control!"

HWD87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2013

"No mood swings, no acne, no weight-gain, controlled period, protects me from being pregnant, only changed once a week, same sex-drive, and increased a cup size! I love it. Sticky part washes away and I rotate between shoulder blades, it doesn't fall off me, works great for me and I recommend to anyone who has had other forms of birth control issues, this just might work for you."

liveurlyfe (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2013

"My doctor put me on the patch because I have terrible cramps during my period and usually develop ovarian cysts that are very painful a few days before my period starts. I put this on at 7pm and by midnight I had terrible headaches to the point I couldn't lift my neck or even talk because my teeth hurt. I felt immediate pain in my pelvic area where I placed it. I also had immediate muscle spasms in my legs and right arm (side where patch was) and I don't want to keep up this terrible pain that I felt in just a few hours. Its probably just all the extra estrogen and I probably should have waited it out but I don't want to take any chances."

Jamie22195 January 29, 2013

"I tried Ortho Evra patch for one day and instantly the patch was extremely itchy, I had a continuous headache within hours of the medication, I felt nauseous, and a little achy. Honestly it's probably not for everyone. I'm only 145 lbs and I've never been on birth control before, so hopefully the hormones wear off and have no long-term side effects."

Onetimewearer (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2013

"I've been on two different pills, and after I had my son, I wanted to find something that lasted longer. Until I decided, my OB-GYN put me on the patch. I love how it's once a week. It's easy to remember. I've been on it for almost a year (in March). However, lately, every patch has started to leave big red squares where they used to be. The skin where the patches were is dry, red, and bumpy. Sometimes they burn, but mostly they itch. I moved and haven't gotten a new doctor, so I can't change it. Other than that, I have absolutely no sex drive- but I haven't had a sex drive since I had my son two years ago. So.. yeah. Haven't really gained weight with it. It's been great except for the red patches it's started to leave."

Aestival (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2013

"I've never used any contraceptive before but when my doctor told me I just needed to change the patch once a week I knew it was the patch for me. I LOVE the side effects! My breast increased in size, my butt did too, my weight is stable and my sex drive is amazing! Some breakouts here and there but not that bad."

deedeesolano (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2012

"I was on the Depo shot for 2 years, at first it was fine, but in the last 6 months I became very depressed, my anxiety levels were through the roof. I gained a few extra pounds, and I had mood swings like crazy! I decided to try the patch since it has different hormones, and even though I just finished my first week I can already see a difference. I'm not moody at all, I'm a lot happier and more myself. And I've even lost a few pounds. Other than the breast tenderness everything else is completely fine. I'll still have hormones from the shot in me for a while longer and I never had my period with the shot. I'll just have to wait and see!"

mcast031 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2012

"I started Orthro Evra about 3 months ago. Let me just say, it has changed my life for the better. One, my period is more light and short. My sex drive has went up. I have put on a little weight. But, to me it's good weight. My breasts have increased from a C cup to a DD! I'm not complaining there! The only complaint that I have had, is one patch did come off. I noticed right away and put on a new patch. Nothing to worry about. This was my first birth control method, so I can't compare it to other forms but, I honestly love it and will continue to use it."

tracie1992 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2012

"I've been on and off of the patch for the last 4 years. I've tried what seems like every birth control pill under the sun with no good results. I could easily remember to take the patch, but it always seemed to have some type of side effect. At first I had bad headaches, or the first day I started the patch I was so sick to my stomach, I was not on any type of birth control for a couple of months and developed an ovarian cyst. So I got back on the patch and now it seems like I get a yeast infection each month."

Anonymous December 16, 2012

"I had been on the patch for about 3 months. I had noticed a bit of mood swings, and my breasts grew as well (bonus). Unfortunately for any of you women who have sensitive skin or are allergic to certain chemicals, I was allergic to the sticky glue on the back of the patch. Whenever it was on, I would be extremely itchy and have a terrible rash. It became so bad that I still have scars in the shape of the patch all over my body...So if you have sensitive skin then be wary that the patch may cause a reaction!!"

Anonymous December 14, 2012

"After the first few months of adjusting to it, I found that I really loved this birth control, and it is highly effective. First few months were really easy and smooth with the exception of feeling really tired. I typically react that way by hormones/estrogen. Everyone's different. After that, my skin cleared up, my breasts grew a whole size bigger, my anxiety got better, and my sex drive is insanely active. I would recommend this to any woman under 35 who doesn't smoke."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2012

"I have been on the patches for about 5 years. I absolutely love them. I lose weight, no acne problems (I tried Mirena and had bad acne issues), and I'm not as moody. I recommend the patches to everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 10, 2012

"I went on this because my friend recommended it and because I like the convenience. While on it however, I experienced horrible anxiety and depression. I also had a weird headache and taste in my mouth all month. My appetite varied wildly; I would be so hungry and then not at all. My period, which usually lasts three days and is very light, lasted eight days and I had horrible cramps. During my period I also felt light-headed and out of it. "

Anonymous October 15, 2012

"I started the patch a few months ago from my high school's health center and it was completely free! Since I have started it, I completely forget that it's even on me. It's like a little sticker, and I have reminders to change it every week. I'm forgetful, so the pill wouldn't have worked as well as the patch has. I would recommend this to anybody!"

Tiffany W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2012

"Before trying this type of birth control, I read the reviews here and I thought there was a great chance that I wouldn't have any serious side effects. Although I didn't have serious side effects, I did experience spotting every single day while on this. My periods were heavier than usual. I was moodier. I had a great increase in appetite, which made me feel like a pregnant woman. Because I was bleeding every day, I never wanted to have sex. This product definitely did what it was supposed to. For me, the one pro was that I only had to change my patch once a week. I will be switching back to the pill. With the birth-control pill, I never experienced any negative side effects. My only problem was forgetting to take it."

AmySandoval (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2012

"I was on the patch after my second child. In the past I would have a hard time remembering to take my pill everyday so I thought this seemed like a great alternative. After 3-4 months I had unexplained joint pain that started in 1 leg and then both legs. It became so bad that it was difficult to walk. I was so scared that I had rheumatoid arthritis. I saw my MD and she had me do blood work. My blood work came back fine. I was so happy-but still why the pain? My MD sent me to an orthopedic MD. He said I have flat feet and gave me shoe inserts. I did not use them they were uncomfortable and bulky. My husband suggested I get off the patch and see if that helps. I stopped the patch and the pain went away completely, Coincidence? "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2012

"I have been on the patch for almost two years and I have found that it is extremely effective if used properly. I love it and I don't even remember that I have it on most times. I want to have a child next year so as of December 2012, I will no longer be on it. After I have given birth, I will be back on it as I find very it difficult to take pills and I have a phobia for needles."

Dolly12 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2012

"I've only been on my first month of this patch. But I hope my review will still help. I usually put it on my butt-cheek and alternate sides each week. The first week was fine, the skin around it after taking off was kind of irritating, but that was no big deal. Second week, nothing unusual happened, my sex drive increased, but I would wake up in the middle of the night for some reason. The third week was the worst week though, I had mood swing, light cramps and anxiety. This fourth week, It'll be my off week, I hope my period comes normally (since I have been having abnormal cycle for the past 2 years) So far, I am satisfied with Ortho Evra. I am usually forgetful, changing it every week is very convenient!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2012

"I have been on the patch for about 4-5 years because I have anemia and used to have very heavy periods. I chose it because it is much more convenient to have than having to remember to take a pill everyday at the same time. With Ortho Evra I probably gained a few pounds but that comes with every birth control. As far as side effects: no depression, few mood swings, and a high sex drive. My periods used to go 7 days now they are more 5 days and the bleeding has decreased a lot. The one thing that I don't like about the patch residue it leaves when you take it off. Like you have to scrub to get the sticky stuff off your skin and even then some is still left over. But all in all I love the patch."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2012

"I used the patch for three months. I like to get my period every month as I am using it to regulate it, along with preventing pregnancy. It works, never used any other back up method and not pregnant. No spotting, no sickness, however I did start getting numbness in my left arm but I did ignore it and irritations on patch site. It never fell off but the corners do lift slightly and it does not look pretty by the end of the week due to the lint and black residue stuff. It's a pain to have on your skin all the time. I just switched because its summer, it shows and is more of a hassle in the heat. I switched to the ring and love it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2012

"So far I have loved the patch! I've only been on it for about two and a half months, but in that time my breasts have gone up a full cup size! I've had very small breasts my entire life (now 21 years old) so you can imagine how happy I am. I've had a few bad headaches recently, but every once in a while my whole life I've gotten bad headaches. Other than that I can't think of any other symptoms I've had from using the patch."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2012

"I've been on birth control for almost 10 years. I have tried at least 8 kinds of oral contraceptive and went from feeling severe anxiety, spotting, nauseous, etc. The only pill that had seemed to work for me was Seasonale (which if you want to go the oral route, I definitely recommend) however couple of years ago it stopped working for me and had to come off it, switched to another oral and actually became pregnant (used precautions, was aware that it can take 3-6 months to work, had been on it for 8). After that I decided to try the patch and I absolutely love it. My sex drive is back with flying colors, no mood swings, no spotting. In the beginning I did feel a little nauseous but that went away in no time. I definitely recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2012

"I've been on the patch for 4 years. It was the first contraceptive I went on. I love it, my periods came almost the same time each month. I did not notice any changes maybe just a pimple or two on my third patch. I'm very young so I blame my 10 pounds of weight gain on my body changing over the years. I did have to switch birth controls because my parents did not approve. So I tried Depo Provera, so I could still be protected without my parents knowing. I rapidly gained almost 25 pounds and spotted the whole time! As soon as could I switched back to the patch, now I'm back to my normal weight and no more spotting. The patch never comes off and it takes less then a minute to change. I highly recommend it."

CarolineP5 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2012

"Initial nausea: tolerable. Breasts: somewhat fuller. 24/7 soul-crushing fatigue and terrible mood."

idexa (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2012

"I began this product last year and did well. Was switched to the pill but I cannot remember to take it, so yesterday my doctor switched me back. Today I feel very uneasy, sad, I've cried all day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2012

More about Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin)

Other brands: Xulane