User Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control (Page 9)

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing

AA · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2018

“Bleeding a lot on month 2 and experienced painful sex 50% of the time:(”

Danielle · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2018

“This drug ruined my life. I've lost my job, I couldn't recognize myself, I even suffered severe anxiety and depression. I was on leave for 2-3 months from work. I am better since being off of the drug but never quite the same unfortunately. I still suffer from anxiety though not as severe as when I was actively on the drug. I wish I never started this medication. I was a positive hard working person prior now I can't seem to get back on track.”

Tippy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2018

“Easy to use, loved how just pop in and don’t worry about it. I have found first month a mild headache daily while it settled in. My sex drive has gone down but I just blamed my useless boyfriend haha My appetite did go up I’ve been on for 3 months and I think it’s made me put on weight. Give it a try as it’s really convenient, see how you go. At least your in complete control and can take it out yourself no Gyno appt for removal like others”

Miss Boom · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2018

“I went to my gyno because I was experiencing anxiety due to hormones. He put me on this to "regulate" hormones. It sent me into one of the worst depressions I've ever experienced. Anxiety, horrible dark sadness, nausea, vomiting, smells made me gag, extreme insomnia (didn't sleep a wink for 4 nights straight) and rage. I went to the doctor to get some sleeping pills because I literally could not sleep and she recommend I take out the ring. Literally 24 hours later my brain turned back on. It's been 5 days and I feel a lot better but not completely. This stuff was hell on earth. Please take with extreme caution!”

Delphine · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2018

“This was the worst birth control experience of my life. I took yaz, and loestrin Fe for years before this med. I used it for two months. I just took it out one week early, because of the illness I experienced. I am on day four of a migraine. I am 28 and have never experienced such a long and intense migraine, with so much vomiting and shaking and eye pain. I got a bunch more migraines than usual overall from this med, but this one takes the cake. This stuff is pure poison in my body. One should note I am otherwise an 100% natural eater and exercise almost daily. Healthy other than this poison. Can’t wait to go back to feeling normal. August 2018”

Hats August 13, 2018

“I've been using the Nuva ring on and off for 3/4 years. I never got any effects like vomiting, head aches etc and I never got pregnant from it so It seemed like it was good. Until I started getting depressed. For months I couldn't pin point what it was (of course life in general sometimes causes it, work, relationships etc) However something kept telling me to stop using the ring. I stopped using it at the beginning of last week and I have a completely different outlook on life now! More energy, no mood swings and I generally feel happier. I'm done with tricking my body with hormones, its back to rubbers for me!”

Boo · Taken for 10 years or more August 10, 2018

“I used the ring for a little over 10yrs no problems, no weight gain, but about 5yrs into it, I started having chest pains every so often, as well as really bad headaches and nausea I put up with it do to the convenience of the ring, but then started getting really painful periods to the point that I took it off and all the symptoms went away. After about 8 months then I got pregnant no problem now my husband is just going to have a vasectomy to avoid all the complications the come with birth control medications.”

peony August 5, 2018

“19-20 years old. When I was on it about 1 year, continuous use, I did not have a period for about 1 year. Then I started having severe!!! pain randomly that I couldn't walk and had to stop to try and breathe. At night, I would wake up because of such severe back pain, it was the most hurtful thing I ever experienced. I would have to use the bathroom in pain for about 1 hour before going back to bed with no pain. This happened almost every other night. It was EXCRUCIATING PAIN that I have never felt elsewhere. Obgyn said that it was nothing special and to do stretches, eat better, earlier before sleeping. But when I took my ring out to get a period every three months, my back pain went away. When I have a period it gives me the worst cramps but only lasts 2 days. It's been good and bad but man.. if you're not scared of the shot or having an IUD, that's a lot better than the ring. If you're not even having sex then don't do it. The back pain I got is definitely not worth it.”

Becca · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 3, 2018

“Have tried various pills and mirena before nuvaring. Very happy with nuvaring. Helps with my acne (which was terrible with mirena), I can't feel it at all (even during sex) and love not dealing with the stress of taking a pill daily. Only problem in the expense, but in Australia my private health insurance covers half the cost. Other friends who have tried have not had as much success, but it works great for me.”

mw · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2018

“I had the nuva ring in my early 20s and loved it. My insurance stopped paying the majority of the cost for it, though, and so I had to switch. I am now 30 and got back on it and hate it! I got through my first three months and felt ok. The next two months is where it got bad. My Dr recommended it for my PMS symptoms but it made them worse instead of better. I was moody and I mean MOODY! So much so that my boss asked if I am alright because I am typically a happy person. I felt extremely tired all of the time. Had basically all of the pregnancy symptoms. Gained 12 pounds in one month out of nowhere. Headaches all day everyday and nothing would relieve them. I took it out a month ago and have already seen a tremendous difference in all of those symptoms.”

Libsmama July 25, 2018

“After spending 2 years on Nuvaring and ending up on blood pressure and anxiety medicine I’m done and never looking back! An incident with insurance caused me to lose my coverage for a few weeks so that when I needed a refill I couldn’t afford it and decided to go without it. I couldn’t be happier that it happened that way. I realized soon after not having it in my system that I felt like a total different person. While on it my blood pressure was up which led to me being put on meds for that. And it caused all sorts of other problems! Such as anxiety, depression, panic attacks, high heart rate and a pounding heart, constant nausea ( I had motion sickness just moving my head), headaches when it got close to the time to take the ring out. Extreme weight gain and hunger, moodiness, anger, the list goes on! I just can’t get over how different I feel after coming off of it. I no longer need the anxiety or blood pressure meds, and my therapist even let me stop coming!”

Sara K-B · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2018

“I took NuvaRing for years in my mid to late twenties. Loved it. I never gained weight, it prevented pregnancy, I had no cramps (except for the first two months), I loved the option of having a period or not, and I liked monthly option vs daily. The only downfall I experienced was more mucus “down there.” I then took a break from the Nring so we could have children. I am now 35-y-o, back on it, and my experience with NuvaRing is completely different... and I’m getting off it stat! I’ve had major weight gain (12 lbs), am extremely moody, I get the worst cramps, my sex drive has diminished, I feel less motivated/more tired, and I’m getting frequent migraines. I did read the risks of taking it if you’re 35 and older beforehand (blood clots) but I never had symptoms and felt I’d give it a try. I don’t recommend this at all for women 35-y-o+ and those who have given birth. The estrogen that is added to the ring has been no bueno for me.”

Zharndrah · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 13, 2018

“Was on it for 3 years had many problems from being fatigued to cranky to blood clots which was the worst. I guess it depends on everyone's body. Mine as soon as I got off it everything was upside down. Had gum problems for a year thanks to the crazy hormones , discoloration on skin , bad skin , severe sensitivity to the sun. Now off going on 18 months from not using any bp and I feel so much better will never use any method unnatural again!!!”

KatRod · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2018

“I'm a 25 year old, good health and was on NuvaRing for 3 months, ended up in the ER and diagnosed with Venus Sinus Thrombosis, AKA I had a stroke and an active blood clot in my brain. I had lost half of my right eye vision. Was in the hospital for 5 days, now I’m on blood thinners and being monitored closely. They believe NuvaRing was the cause of my stroke!! Please BE VERY CAREFUL on this birth control!! I had just made it to the hospital on time and was blessed enough to be a survivor!!”

distressed · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2018

“I have been using the nuva ring for about 2 weeks roughly. It has caused me stomach aches in the beginning followed by headaches. As its coming up to the date where I'm suppose to take it out I'm feeling menstrual cramps, mood swings, anxiety/panic attacks, and depression waves. I do not feel like myself. I can't sleep, and I can't eat properly. I was recommended to use this medication because I was diagnosed with PCOS- (Polycystic ovary syndrome) I am 24 years old, I have never been on birth control till now. I will be making an appointment with my doctor about this, it's actually really bad.”

Mimi87 July 2, 2018

“Used Nuvaring on and off. Gave me the worst cramps of my life! Aside from that I had no other problems. I’m debating on going back on it or trying the implant since my IUD is due to come out next month.”

Rein · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

“I been on Nuvaring for a week now and I feel totally fine no symptoms of any kind just left appetite. After reading all these horror stories I’m a little worried, I guess it depends of our bodies we’re all different.”

Sunny June 7, 2018

“This ring was hell for me. Week 1: Excited to try a convenient form of birth control. For the first two weeks I experienced mood swings but thought this will stabilize. I also had a surge of acne which I normally do not have. Week 3-4: Acne went away but mood swings continued. Week 5: same. Week 6, 7, and 8: horrible. I started bleeding heavily every day heavier than a period for three straight weeks. This was accompanied by cramping and an upset digestive system. Week 4: I passed a blot clot vaginally which hasn’t happened since I had my daughter 3 years ago. By the end of the second month I was physically exhausted from the blood loss and pain and an emotional mess from being unstable for 2 months straight. I took it out...and it’s like the sky became blue again slowly I returned to my normal self. No birth control method is worth this type of hell. Done and done. Back to the pill.”

Anonymous June 6, 2018

“I've been on nuvaring for 3 months and it's been the worst decision I have ever made. I'm removing it today. Since I started nuvaring I get strong headaches, nausea, dizziness, depressed, angry, dizzy.”

AT · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 26, 2018

“I went off Nuvaring last year after struggling with crazy side-effects for over 6 months, and I still think of the time on it in total horror. I was seduced by the ease of use and the convenience. The idea was great. What it did to my mental health was a horror. I wasn't myself; I had horrible mood swings. Even thoughts of sex revolted me. The loving touch of my partner made me want to throw up. I have never experienced similar states of my libido. Sex did not just seem disgusting it was painful. Dry like a desert. I feel like I lost a year of an awesome sex life to nuvaring. The week I went off it was a huge relief and a return to the senses, an end to the mental self-blaming hell, return of healthy emotions and desire. So, if you're wondering if NuvaRing is messing with your desire and mood - it is. Trust yourself and your body. Don't prolong this suffering, switch to something else.”

Brittanylb May 22, 2018

“I've been on Nuvaring as a birth control for years and it cleared my acne. Made me feel more stable emotionally. I loved not having to take a pill everyday. The only problem I had with it is that my sex drive is super low when I'm on it. After having a baby I switched to another birth control but I'll probably switch back to nuvaring.”

Aili May 21, 2018

“If I could rate this a zero I absolutely would. I’ve had the worst experience being on it. Severe mood change, depression and anxiety. I never was able to put two and two together until recently due to the fact I had been off of it and felt a million times better, then got back on it a week ago. Immediately the symptoms came back. The feeling when I was on it ruined my life, lost my job, eagerness to enjoy life, pushed family and friends away, hated who I was as a person. I’m not saying everyone will have this but for me I felt at my worst. On the positive side of things, since being off of this and going through a rough couple years, it’s changed me for a better person, I no longer see things one way or the other, I see beauty in everyone and everything.”

DM85 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2018

“For reference, I was previously taking Tri-Sprintec which stopped agreeing with my body - I started to experience breakthrough bleeding during weeks 2 and 3. I was then switched to Sprintec, which also had the same side effects along with constant hunger. I thought I’d give Nuvaring a try as I liked the idea of not having to remember to take a pill everyday. I do not feel it at all at any point, I’ve had no issues with it falling out, no hunger or other side effects and my period is the lightest it’s ever been and down to about 3 days. Very happy. I know most people only leave reviews when they’re unhappy with something. I wanted to be sure the positive is also shared as everyone is different.”

Chicagoan345 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2018

“I would not recommend this form of birth control to anyone. The side effects are a nightmare. I used my Nuva Ring for approx. 3 months before I had to discontinue use. I lost a HUGE amount of hair. My hair started thinning so rapidly after I started using the ring and it took me a few months to realize that the ring was causing it. I also had Zero sex drive whatsoever. I removed the ring but I feel that my hair is still thinner than when I started. DO NOT try this birth control.”

Ash · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 7, 2018

“I was on Nuvaring for 7 years and I accredit bloating and occasional UTIs to it. It kept my skin clear and it was easier to remember than a daily pill so I might switch back to it as I've been very unhappy with all other birth controls I've tried.”