User Reviews for Lexapro

8.3

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,352 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I been on lexapro for very bad anxiety and I have anxiety because I have PCOS and keep getting UTI'S because of it UTI can effect the mind like a bad virus. I have only been on it about a week but I can feel a difference. Before it I didn't want to do things or go out of my house I battled anxiety for 4 years with no meds cause I'm scared to even take OTC meds so this was a battle but after a miscarriage my doctor though it was best . The first week has been a little struggle, I started out on 5mg and move to 10mg in 2 weeks. I say to anyone interested - try it. Life is hard but Lexapro makes it ok. No it's not a cure but It helps ...."

Lizzie (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

For Anxiety "I’ve been taking 10mg for just over a year now. It has REALLY helped my overall anxiety and mood swings from perimenopause. Getting started on this was VERY tough for me. The side effects were not very pleasant and I definitely felt worse before I felt better. Klonopin helped get through the first few weeks. I would say after probably 3 months ALL the side effects were gone and I didn’t feel like I was “on” anything, which was a relief! After the first 3 weeks or so MOST of the symptoms had greatly decreased/disappeared. I’m glad I stuck it out and continued taking it. It has been a huge help overall and I have very little anxiety about driving places that I am unfamiliar with like I was before. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there!"

Mom of 3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2018

For Depression "I was on 10 mg for about 3 months. It did help me get out of bed, and made me more alert. However, also made me very talkative (I'm usually quiet) and also gave me mood swings. I would get out of control when the medication would wear off. I had to stop taking it because my anger would get out of control. Overall it helps with depression but I couldn't handle the mood swings, so I had to stop. I started cutting the tablet in half for 1 week then stopped without any major side effects, only bad headaches for about 2 weeks."

562calikid (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2018

For Depression "Came off of Zoloft, 100 mg with horrible daily nightmares that caused me to not want to sleep. Tried lexapro 10mg for 2 weeks - horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea the WHOLE entire time! Plus it’s getting worse not better! Went to the dr, am trying something else!"

Unimpressed (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am on my 10th day of lexapro and I notice some improvement. I hope it will continue."

Ian July 2, 2018

For Depression "I’ve been on Lexapro 5mg for 4 weeks now. I was in a deep depression and extreme anxiety. The Lexapro began to lift the depression within a few days. It has helped anxiety but not as much as it has helped the depression. I am now sleeping the entire night and don’t need as much ambien, I have been able to cut down to half of what I was using before. Side effects to start were intense lethargy, some jaw clenching. These side effects are improving everyday."

Lynny79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2018

For Anxiety "This drug made a new person of me. I had suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life and just never knew what it felt like not to be full of anxiety. When I turned 50 I went into a severe depression and elevated anxiety. I was started on this med while in the hospital. It took a couple of weeks to work but when it did it was like a miracle. I am so thankul. I have taken it for the past 13 years....."

Mo (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on lexapro for a year and it LITERALLY saved my life. I was experiencing panic attacks, had mild depression and social phobia. One year later and I have NONE of that! I think I will be on this medication for the rest of my life, I am 33 years old and WISH I had started this medication on my early 20's as my anxiety pulled me back in so many ways from living life. Now I am stable, I feel happy to hop out of bed, I am confident at work, no more social phobia and shaking and heart palpitations etc. I was so scared to take this medication when I first started, as I read many reviews that mention the bad side effects. Honestly, do not let the starting side effects discourage you. The side effects are not fun BUT it is also not fun having extreme anxiety and/or depression for the rest of your life. The side effects will go away! Obviously this is my experience everyone is different but my advise is to stick it out! It only changed my life for the better. I started on 5mg, two weeks later 10mg and now on 15mg."

Bess June 23, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi guys, 24 year old female, I have tried Zoloft in the past and prozac before I tried lexapro. 4 weeks in on 10mg and I didn’t feel it working much for my mood so I went up to 20mg. And I slightly feel more calmer. I’m on this medication for extreme anxiety and panic disorder. It has helped dramatically, and it’s only been 4 and a half weeks now. I was crippled from anxiety and scared to go out in public just in case of a panic attack, but now I feel like it’s more manageable. I haven’t experienced severe side effects (thankfully). I don’t experienced fatigue and just feeling really lazy and lack of motivation to exercise. But it is so much better than waking up in an absolute panic. It’s amazing how I has helped me. Good luck to anyone trying it."

Smurfygirl June 22, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medication works really well for me with minimal side effects. I have taken it for some time."

Lee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

For Anxiety "I have suffered from anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember, through a lot of ups and downs, I am finally feeling myself. This drug is amazing, I’m usually anti-med, and the only negative side effect of this drug has been on and off nausea. My anxiety has been significantly reduced, and my depression has also seemed to have subsided greatly! I would recommend giving cipralex a chance out of any other SSRI."

Kat June 19, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was once you, reading drug reviews online, trying to find reassurance. Before you read this I want you to know that my experience is not your experience, or anyone else’s for that matter. For me, this drug did not work. It seemed to create incredibly obsessive and unwanted thoughts, which in turn led to more anxiety. I also became pretty depressed, and felt drugged. I took myself off of it and now I’m returning to normal. If you can, try the natural route first, and use benzos for short time acute anxiety if you can. If it’s still bad, give Lexapro a try. I know it works for plenty of people, just not me."

Adim7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suffer with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety, panic attacks, emetophobia AND depression. I know, quite a list. I have suffered for over 40 years. Mainly due to the emetophobia (fear of vomiting) I feared side effects of meds. This is the 2nd time in my life being on prescription meds. I started taking Alprazolam in 2004. This was great, I am still on the same dose I was back then. 0.5 mg. This gave me a life outside of my home!!! I was basically housebound since I was 14. By 2009, I told my Dr. of 30 years I wanted more of a life. I hadn't seen the ocean since I was 13. I NEEDED to get there again. He put me on Lexapro. My dr. put in a special authorization to the insurance company. You may want to talk to your Dr. and have him do this for you."

Bonnie June 11, 2018

For Anxiety "I started taking Lexapro a month ago. I felt it working right away, which I was told I wouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. I always had non stop leg shaking and my jaw would clench tight for the first week. Forget about sex!! ughhh that is why I am giving an 8, but I am just happy I don't have to cry every night over a box of crayons or be unfocused because the anxiety was so high."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2018

For Depression "Please!!! Do not take this drug unless you are willing to go through the horrible side affects. At first you may need it or think you need it. I've been on for over 10 years. It might work but eventually you start feeling like rubbish and when you want to try to go off it!! Have fun. Instead find something else - look at all your options!! It's worth the time to do your research or go through these horrible withdrawals!!"

Duke June 7, 2018

For Anxiety "I have tried this before and found some relief. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it blunts my emotions."

Ian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

For Depression "I am over 59 years old, female, post menopausal, and have benign hypertension (controlled by medication). I take .75 MG Xanax at bedtime and have for years. I began Lexapro March 29, 2018, 5MG and increased to 10MG. I had a routine blood test. There are now macrocytes in my blood results. I have never had this before so I did some in depth research. One study involved over 60,000 people. Women my age and older who take Xanax, have high blood pressure, and are post menopausal account for 95.5% of those in the study who develop macrocytosis. Since this condition is potentially dangerous, do blood work often if you have to take it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

For Depression "I have been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and am feeling so much better, as I used to have this flatness hanging over me I couldn't shake. The first 2 weeks were hard to adjust to as I felt nauseous, tired and fuzzy headed from the drug. Now I'm feeling so much calmer and the fog has lifted. No full on side effects like weight gain or loss of libido for me. I am taking 10mg at 7pm and would totally recommend for anyone who has been trying to cope with depression. Hope you feel better soon."

Bec (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

For Anxiety "I've battled anxiety for 40 years and finally went on 10 mg lexapro. It works fantastic for me and after 9 months I weaned myself to 5mg a day. That was a mistake I had panic attacks more anxiety and so went back to 10mg today. I don't think I can ever stop taking it."

mick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2018

For Anxiety "I wanted to share my positive experience with you. I started taking Lexapro about 6 weeks ago. My anxiety months ago started to get away from me due to a family stress event. I have dealt with anxiety in the past so it’s not new for me but this time it was getting out of control. My worries were non stop and sleep wasn’t happening. So I started Lexapro beginning of April. By the 3 rd week I was getting good relief from my anxiety. By week 6 I was back to me. :) So hang in there. It takes time but it worked for me. And I very much hope it works for you. Anxiety is debilitating. And hard for others to understand. Good luck everyone. And say some prayers too. That will get you through. ❤️"

Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have taken Lexapro(Brand only) for years. I Tried the generic twice for the insurance companies. 5 generic tabs did not produce the results that 1 Lexapro Brand did. Recently for the 3rd time United Healthcare simply decided that they would just "Not Paid for Lexapro". Every genetic make-up is different. Lexapro works for me, however I cannot pay $535.00/ month. I am suffering terribly and will probably lose my job and livelihood tomorrow because I cannot cope. I wish the insurance company would have to pay unemployment benefits."

nurse (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've now been on lexapro for 5 months now. Doctor started me on 5 mg. The initial side effects for me were drowsiness after taking so I took it after dinner. I am now at 15mg. I no longer experience drowsiness. I am a completely different person. I am so happy I stuck through it. This medication takes time! I am now able to have small talk with cashiers. I am able to take better care of myself. I don't feel as anxious and for the first time in my life and I feel comfortable with myself. My emotions are very stable. I no longer get stuck in a deep depression or self destructive thoughts. The long term side effects I've experienced is not being able to orgasm as well and 6lb weight gain."

Geogaddi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

For Anxiety "I took Lexapro for 11 years. I started out taking 10 mg, for the first 5 years then the Doctor pumped it up to 20 mg daily. I broke out in a rash that I could see on my stomach ,arms, and neck. I also got dermatitis on my scalp. I suffered nausea and gained 50 pounds. I went through all this because I had 2 panic attacks in my late 40s. I decided to tapper off Lexapro to see how I felt without a antidepressant to get me through the day. Believe me, it’s been hard! The side effects on going off this drug has been the most worst thing I have ever gone through. I ended up in the emergency room feeling like I was dying. I am still dealing with the effects of withdrawal symptoms but I would never take Lexapro again !"

Dawn (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2018

For Depression "I have used Lexapro for approximately. 8 years. I can't say that the drug is an effective antidepressant but it does modulate mood swings and generally improves my sense of well being."

Barry (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi all, I have been suffering from severe generalised anxiety disorder with social anxiety since I was 25. I am turning 31 in a couple of weeks. Throughout this time I've been on and off sertraline. I always found that the initial 2 or 3 weeks were OK but then I'd be back to square one with my anxiety. I am currently taking 10mg for the last 3 weeks and I feel the past 3 days I'm back to square one completely. I'm not sleeping, eating, I just am not functioning. I've a 16 month old son, a partner and a job that I need to be well for. Has anyone any advice on what medications, maybe a combination, have been affective in completely ridding their anxiety and allowing them to function? Desperate for help and advice. Thanks."

C87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018