User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 9)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Major Depressive Disorder
7.4

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,266 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Lexapro for just about 3 years. I was first diagnosed with both depression and anxiety my sophomore year of high school, after I had missed weeks of school due to these conditions. After just the first week on Lexapro I felt better. Eventually, I had to have my dosage raised as I started to feel anxious/depressed again. I'm now a freshman in college, and couldn't be happier with what Lexapro has done for me. I'm actually studying to be a psychiatric nurse to help people like myself, with mental disorders."

Brittany E. October 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have had anxiety since childhood. I never knew what it felt like to be without it until the first time I took Lexapro. It was amazing to feel "normal" for the first time. I had been on Zoloft and Prozac before and neither made me feel normal. I've had to quit Lexapro due to insurance at times and being without it is not something I ever want to do. I've tried Celexa and the generic forms as well but they come with sexual side effects. With Lexapro I have very little sexual effects. In fact, it seems to enhance orgasm for me. Initial side effects when starting it included very bad diarrhea for a week or two, but it goes away. I take 20mg which seems to be perfect. 10mg didn't do the trick. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot."

JMar72 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "23/F I was diagnosed with GAD a few months ago and started on generic lexapro, first 5mg/day then up to 10mg/day. It took a few weeks to take effect, but it was incredible at counteracting the anxiety. My self-confidence increased and panic attacks went away completely. The reason I give it a 6/10 and the reason I came off it, however, is because of the sexual side effects. It took away my ability to orgasm, which was extremely frustrating for me. I'm working with my doctor to find a different med to treat my anxiety without the sexual side effects of SSRIs."

lospar (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "So I was initially prescribed Lexapro over this past summer. It was supposed to help out with my mood and overall sense of well being. After taking it for about two weeks in a row, my doctor told me to stop taking it and switch to Trintellix, since the Lex was causing an unbearable amount of drowsiness. I stopped going to work because on average, I'd get out of bed after 12 or so hours of sleep. Ridiculous, but I figured it would be worth powering through. It wasn't until my mood started getting worse, like I was running on 4 hours of sleep and didn't study for a final every day. Trintellix has so far been a godsend, no adverse side effects. Unable to refill the trin at the UC, I went back to lex, and after 2 days, the dread was too much..."

UngoKast (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My doctor prescribed me this medication for Generalized Anxiety Disorder as it was crippling and ruining my life. I was reluctant to try it because I've heard so many horror stories about the side effects but I figured I'd give it a shot. First week or so was a little rough. Lots of nausea and brain fog but I was determined to give it at least a month. Once my body adjusted my symptoms slowly started to disappear. Today I feel like a different person. I feel free from my obsessive worries and panic that had plagued me all my life. This truly is a wonder drug if you're lucky enough that it works for you!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I've been taking 10mg lexapro for anxiety for 5 days now. Off and on in the past yr my level of anxiety has escalated so much that I thought I might have a nervous breakdown or something. I became anti social and angry. I would break down in tears if I thought about anything for more than 3 seconds. I felt hopeless and helpless. I also take Adderall xr20MG. My dr gave me lexapro 10mg and said I might experience the side effects and call her in 1 wk if it was too much too handle. Headache for a couple hrs was all I experienced. I feel awesome! Like a wet blanket has been lifted off of me. I don't avoid people anymore and I feel like I can face the world and be me again. I think now that the tension is lifted I feel better physically!"

RS0017 October 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This is about my boyfriend who is currently taking this med. He is acting differently sometimes acting like he doesn't care about anything. He got rashes on some of his body. He is not the same. I'm trying to talk him into trying something else. I don't like the side effects I'm seeing in him. He's still depressed so it's not really helping him. He's like dr. Jekyl & Hyde. He will snap 1 minute then the next minute he's talking very nice as if nothing happened or he didn't remember saying anything mean. It's been a roller coaster I think I would rather have him not on anything or prescribed medical marijuana for his anxiety & to help him relax. I don't know what the right answer is. Maybe we will find something in the near future to help."

Brown bear October 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started lexapro after 3 years of severe anxiety and panic attacks pretty much daily. I was so terrified to take anything fearing it would make it worse or make me crazy. But my anxiety pushed me to major depression from my irrational fears. I kept thinking it's gonna get so bad I'm gonna end up losing my job and becoming homeless. Reviews from others scared me also. Finally I told myself it couldn't get any worse than this. Well it's been 2 weeks and I haven't felt that horrible "dread" feeling. I'm way less anxious. It's pretty much saved me. There are side effects. Tolerable though. Nausea and headaches the first few days. It also causes bad urinary retention and sweating. But to me,they're worth not feeling the way I did."

Jenny1018 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Lexapro has helped me so much. I am currently on week 6 of a 10mg dose. 24yr old male. I felt the effects almost immediately. The first 3 days it gave me extreme ADD. I could not focus on one thing for more than 1 minute. My brain was jumping from thought to thought like never before. After the first week I suddenly had a moment of clarity and was able to focus better than I ever was before. My anxiety and depression in the morning completely went away. I was able to get out of bed. No more driving anxiety or thoughts of self harm. All completely went away. The only negative thing that I have found is one side effect. It now takes a very, very long time for me to reach orgasm during sex. Sometimes not at all. No matter how pretty she is."

Space Chase (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Lifted my mood within the first few weeks of taking - upped dose from 10mg to 20mg but didn't see any change. Kind of flat-lined after that (felt like a bit of a zombie). Side effects weren't too bad though - night sweats, some minor headaches & restlessness."

Jam123 October 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Been on Lexapro 10mg for about 10 weeks and I still haven't felt any better. Really sad and frustrated."

Coutinho (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have anxiety and depression. Lexapro is the first anxiety medication I have taken since I've only been diagnosed a week ago. I can tell you that by a long shot this medication has helped me. I have major anxiety driving and the first day I was on it, my anxiety driving was 95% gone. I take 10 mg of lexapro and take 50 mg of Tranzadone to sleep at night. Both are very helpful in conjunction. Plus lexapro doesn't make me feel like a zombie !! Win win."

Future RN (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I haven't filled my script and haven't had meds in 5 days and all I wanna do is cry all day and think bad things about my relationship. I worry to much"

Danirae (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I had immediate results.I definitely felt less edgy just 3 days into my 10mg nightly dose. I had a headache first two days but took pain relief and it knocked it out. So far it has already provided relief from my constant anxiety and edginess."

Storm1617 September 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication is NOT for teenagers. My son was so depressed we could not get him out of his room for days on end. We eventually got convinced him that he needed help and agreed to start taking medications and spending more time out in the sun and exercise. All of this was painfully slow but I believe the medication did help him become more motivated to help himself. He agreed to give the medication 5 weeks. Week 6 my son started punching holes in walls and throwing things when he has never done anything like this before. Week 8 my son killed a little girl. A friend of the family. Now, he is facing 47 years without parole for something he did at 17 influenced by a medication I had asked him to try.This is in fact, LIFE w/o parole."

4Nurse3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I experienced "poop out" after being on Lexapro for 7 years. I was prescribed 150 mg of Welbutren, which was upped to 300mg. The Lexapro kicked in after a few weeks, and worked like a charm. After one year, my anxiety and depression returned progressively getting worse over a period of three months. Finally realized my insurance switched me to the generic escitalopram. I had been taking it for three months without realizing it! Requested to switch back to Lexapro, however, Tricare insurance would not cover it so had to pay almost 178 per month for brand name. That was two years ago. Now pay 294 per month. Tricare still will not pay. Considering buying from Canada."

Generic Lexapro "DID NOT" Work (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Having been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder over ten years ago and taking Xanax 1 mg. twice a day, I was surprised when my doctor prescribed Lexapro, not instead of, but in addition to. He said it was a mood stabilizer, but I know its and SSRI generally used as an anti-depressant. Medical guidelines now require, or at least I've been told as much by my doctor, that primary physicians are required to ask questions regarding mental health. I was asked, "Have you in the past two weeks lost interest in your normal activities?" No. "Have you in the past two weeks had thoughts of suicide?" No. Still, he prescribed the Lexapro and I started taking it. The side effects were horrible. Every symptom of depression, which I didn't have"

robalo September 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi there, I have been off work for approx 7 weeks due to severe anxiety. I initially started to take Sertraline 50mg however after 4 weeks it made me very low in mood and suicidal hence to swap to Ecitalopram 5mg. I have been taking this for 10 days and already feel a considerable improvement in my overall mood. My anxiety is less and the negative thoughts are manageable. I still worry but things don't seem so bad anymore. I feel like there's hope again. I am pleased so far. Good luck"

MandAjW September 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I am on day 6 of taking Lexapro and I must say that I am very pleased with the results so far. My husband is deploying and I began experiencing panic attacks and anixiety back in May. I thought it was just me and I could brush it off or "get over it". As time went on, I noticed that my symptoms became worse. I was crying everyday, worrying, panic attacks, aniexty attacks and having intrusive thoughts, which began to make me extremely depressed. I had no energy, insomnia, crying, mentally exhausted and no appetite. I finally broke down and went to my GP and told him what was going on. He recommended several different anti-depressants. I had been reading about the different anti-depressants and found that Lexapro got the best reviews. I was reluctant to begin taking meds but thought I had no choice. I know it might be premature but I feel 100% better that I did a week ago. The only side effect that I experienced was a insomnia for the first 3 nights, loss of appetite and no libido. I didn't have much of a libido to begin with, so it doesn't bother me. I didn't experience nausea like I read on other reviews. I am slowly getting my appetite back and sleep so good at night. It makes a little groggy first thing in the morning but once I get up and get going, I'm good. I take 10 mg every morning. My doctor wants me to increase my dosage to 20 mg after 2 weeks but I will wait and see how I feel. I highly recommend this medication. It has really helped me. I feel so much better!!!"

hondachick96 September 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This drug changed my life. I've always been "depressed" person if you will, problems from childhood, then life got hard when I moved country and my husband deployed. Almost within a week of taking lexapro I began to notice the difference. More stable, more optimistic, no longer crying over anything... Things that would give me major anxiety before no longer bother me as much, although the anxiety is not completely gone. Only very mild side effects of dry mouth and slight headaches, but boy is it worth it. I am, what must be "normal" to the rest of the world now. I'm very happy."

Riela28 September 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on this drug for about 10 years, I have tried to slowly come off of it, thinking Im ok but it was a disaster, dont let your pride effect your life! I was going through divorce, stress at work, and overall angry thoughts and depression. What it did for me was make the bad moments less extended, I still get stressed and have normal bad days but the lingering of these moments lessened. I never post this type of stuff, but I hope I can help someone, this med may have saved my marriage and my childrens upbringing!!! i did have to incrwase dose after a couple years though"

Chriswh September 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was having terrible mood problems and depression. The doctor prescribed me Lexapro...and I guess I never realized I even suffered from anxiety until now. The results were beyond amazing---mood has been lifted noticeably...but the kicker...and VERY unexpectedly-my cervical pain was reduced by about 97% -and tension I dealt with nearly daily (I thought from the imperfection of my cervical vertebrae-because I had a 2-level fusion about 11 years ago and they've spotted a slight bulging recently in the C4 vertebrae, which is right above the fused level) and I could finally-FINALLY-get off of pain medication, after relying on it for a decade to make my days bearable! Many yrs of pain mgmt.-and an unexpected med takes care of nearly 100% of it!"

Meliss74 August 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This pill cleared up so many of my mental and physical symptoms that it's difficult to list them all. Gone are the black-and-white thinking, the ceaseless pain of existing, the social anxiety, irrational and confused thoughts, inability to truly engage with the world, hopelessness, blank future, exhaustion no matter how much I sleep, procrastination, and psychic agony that only self-harm could alleviate. Not only can I hold an extended conversation with someone, I'm also able to appreciate this improvement in my life instead of feeling like it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, my libido is also gone. Since it was low to begin with, I don't miss it too much, but one day I'd like to know what having a libido is like. Wellbutrin, perhaps?"

Thanks Lexapro August 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on this med for over a month and the side effects do not out weigh my symptoms . The withdrawal sucks and the hyperness and the tiredness sucks. I'm 31 and haven't been on a depressant since I was 15. I lost my sister 5 months ago and it set me into anxiety, panic and depression."

Barb F August 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I thought Lexapro wasn't going to help my anxiety but after about 3 weeks it made a huge difference. I feel like I'm living again!"

SweetLuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016