User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 7)

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

7.5

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,368 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is the second time trying Cipralex. The first time for 6 months on 10mg. I struggled at that time with severe anxiety attacks that seemed to come out of nowhere, but found later on that it was caused by depression. Because I am very sensitive to medications and nausea, I fought to not take meds for fear it might get worse. The Cipralex and practicing CBT made me feel fearless. I could travel, drive, and function again. This is my second time being on it due to a new job and moving to a new province. I needed some extra support. I also eat well and exercise. I take 5mg because my anxiety/lifestyle is more managed over the years with exercise and meditation. On 5mg I actually feel so great! Increased appetite, relaxed, happy."

Calis (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Anxiety has been crazy since moving cities and hard finding work. I can't calm down. Started lexapro or the generic brand at 10mg a day. Had orgasm problems first like 4-5 days hard to urinate. Mild head ache. And vivid dreams. But I stuck it out after two weeks side effect mostly went away and doctor instructed to up it to 20mg a day and now I honestly feel no extra side effects most have all gone away already by week 3. I feel a little better about being able to control my anxiety and intrusive thoughts. But still feel kinda depressed and anti social. I'm gonna keep trying tho. Its helped the anxiety already so I think it'll take longer for everything to settle in. I take it at night cause it makes it sleepy. Wake up fine the next day."

Thisguy0000 August 31, 2017

For Depression "I would like to add to everyones into, the first day of taking your low dose maybe try take your first day on a non work day! Both days I went back on it I threw up on day one and felt nauseous. Everyone is different but that was me! My starting dose for week one was 10mg then brought up to 15. Do not let this put you off as after day one, this goes away and it's all back to normal :)"

Feelbetterx August 30, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "Started at 17 for MDD & GAD, I'm almost 20 and recently dx'd w BPD now (comorbid w the above). 5mg first week, 10mg 2 years, 20mg 5 months. First week side effects inc'd but not lim'd to: yawning, sweating (esp night), brain fog, nausea, hypomania, lack of focus. These only came back with cold turkey withdrawals (2 or more missed doses). Brain zaps, muscles seizing up and panic were common for withdrawal for me too. Lexy helped me minimise/blunt emotional responses and therefore improve cognition (could still cry etc tho), also boosted my mood noticeably but not intensely. This lasted a year before this med completely stopped working at all, eventual 20mg bump did nothing. Gentle first antid.. tapering off now, prob going for SNRI next."

cappycorn (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2017

For Depression "I took 1 pill and had rapid heart beat and elevated blood pressure hours after taking. I did not take another, but day 2 I had a horrible headache and nausea, and I was also seeing things. I felt like I was going crazy and I wanted to do anything to get it to stop. It has given me four panic attacks in three days whereas I only ever had 2 in my whole life. This isn't worth it and I'd take depression over this nuttiness any day."

April28389495737 August 26, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Been on it for 8 weeks. Feeling much calmer and even. Sleeping better. Lost 5 pounds which is good. Has kept my appetite down and increased satiety. Downside is high fatigue some days and maybe some reflux."

Xylophonic August 25, 2017

For Anxiety "If I were to just review this drug from an anxiety/fear of social interaction standpoint, I would say that Lexapro is awesome. Lexapro has stopped me from having tremors every time someone talked to me out of the blue, and I do not mind being in the spotlight anymore during classes. For (group) presentations, I still feel physical symptoms and my tremor building up, but not nearly as much as I did without Lexapro. My biggest fear happens to be giving presentations and this is what I am taking it for primarily. I think if I were to do a standalone presentation, I would still have A LOT of difficulty focusing on the topic at hand but not because of anxiety. This drug makes it very hard for me to focus in school. Hope to go down to 5mg from 10"

Deeeee August 24, 2017

For Anxiety "The start of their medication was horrible I am not going to sugar coat it for you. I was tired, had yawns, and brain zaps. I felt sick and nausea all the time. It was like the worst hangover all the time. After about 3 weeks I increased my dose from 10mg to 15mg. Again a lot of side effects. I felt terrible. Now 3 years later I am on 30mg and I don't have anxiety anymore. It took about 6 months for my body to adjust and settle down. I promise you it gets better. Stay with it, like everyone else says it works. It gets better. I can live my life now, I can be a parent, I graduated, I had another child. I'll be in this forever if I have to!"

EmmaMumVegan August 23, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on this for over 18 months. I went from stress starving myself I was so anxious and so much more to my old weight and a healthy outlook about myself and others. My dosage varied between 10mg up to 40mg during a rough stretch. The only thing I will say is that even though it is a far-flung side effect for some, the decreased libido was the only downside for me. Mine was never hyper but it had a dull edge on it. At a lower dosage there is no loss of it but be mindful."

John N. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2017

For Depression "Worked!!! as quick as I took it the next day was beautiful... I laugh and play with my child so much more!! A month in and I feel like my old self.. Had dealt with depression 6 yrs and didn't know.. Just felt bad all the time and finally took it.. Now I'm on bottle #2 THUMBS up!!"

Mamaof1 August 19, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Took this medication a little over a year ago. Terrible, terrible experience. Slept almost all day and when I wasn't asleep I was in constant panic to the point of tears. It's hard to remember a time in my life (even with anxiety and depression) where I cried more. I have found however that I am very sensitive to meds and so I'm sure this was part of it. Would not touch it with a 10-foot pole."

auguries August 17, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This drug is pretty great for depression, however I am on it for serious anxiety and it has only exacerbated it for me. I feel agitated a lot and have insatiable hunger that has caused me to gain a few pounds. There have also been some sexual side effects that have made sex a little more of a challenge."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

For Anxiety "I took this a few years ago for anxiety, panic, OCD, and mild agoraphobia and claustrophobia. It helped tremendously. I don't recall any side effects besides hands being shaky and a little more forgetful. I had to stop when I was trying to become pregnant and I'm not sure if it was the weaning off this or the switching to Zoloft but that process wasn't too fun. Not awful though. Still prefer over Zoloft!"

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Lexapro 5-10 mg for 15 years and it has kept my panic attacks and GAD at bay. Only time I have a problem is when I decide I don't need to take the medication anymore and take myself off only to find my anxiety and panic attacks begin recurring. Dumb idea! For me, it's a long, difficult period of adjustment to get on Lexapro after getting off because of the side effects and the anxiety symptoms, (nausea, no appetite, nervousness, heartburn...) but, it's so worth it after the Lexapro begins working. Aaahh!"

Ms. Sunshine August 4, 2017

For Anxiety "Lexapro (which is called Cipralex here in Canada) was what they put me on when I first became extremely anxious (after trying talk therapy and Ativan when needed). It KO'd my anxiety extremely well (alongside continued therapy). Not only my acute anxiety that was causing panic attacks and made me unable to leave the house was handled, but the social anxiety I've lived with all my life. However, it caused me to gain a significant amount of weight, my emotions were somewhat blunted, and for the first few months I was on it, I would get quite sleepy in the morning. It did stop working for me after about 2.5 years, but as short-term anxiety treatment it served me well."

Sjagauwbsksuvsk (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have noticed such a difference on this medication. I feel more calm about life in general. Social situations used to be extremely difficult for me and now I can be in a room full of people and not feel overwhelmed or anxious. Anyone who struggles with anxiety needs to give this a try. Social anxiety / GAD is a terrible thing to deal with but I feel betteR and now I wish I had this medication sooner."

katetyler (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

For Depression "I've always had GAD, but ever since starting high school it's gotten x10 worse. Even though I would go see a therapist, and while it did help with coping, all of my anxiety symptoms I was experiencing got in the way of me living a normal life. I got on cipralex starting with 2.5 mg for a week, gradually increasing, now on 7.5 mg. I can honestly say that ever since starting this medication, my anxious thoughts are way better than they were, I can drive to a friends house without feeling anxious, the constant "what if" thoughts are gone, my bowel movements are much better, I'm socializing with people more, I barely cry, I see more colours and smells etc. I strongly recommend to teens struggling, because no one should have to :)"

oceanetia (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

For Depression "After struggling with depression and anxiety for the past 10 years (23 now), I was beyond miserable with the way I felt. Due to the depression and anxiety, I isolated myself from friends, dreaded things I used to enjoy, etc. I saw my doctor about a month ago and was prescribed Escitalopram (generic of Lexapro), at 5 mg. In the beginning of starting this medication, I noticed nausea, increased anxiety and irritability, and tiredness. After 2 weeks of starting this medication, I slowly started feeling the positive effects, which included lowered depression and the ability to control my anxiety and panic attacks. I am so grateful my doctor prescribed me this medication, because I finally feel like I'm regaining my happiness and self-esteem!"

Chrissy94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2017

For Anxiety "Follow up on review posted over a year ago: I have just successfully quit Lexapro with a very slow 6 month taper. I took 10-15 mg for panic for one year, then started taper. Wanted to advise to taper ON this med as well as off! My Dr. had me jump right on at 10 mg and the first 3 weeks of adjustment was horrible...by contrast my taper off was a breeze because it was very gradual. Lexapro worked for me and I would take it again if ever necessary!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2017

For Depression "I've been taking Lexapro 10mg (5mg at first to build up slowly) for about 6 weeks. I did feel nauseous for a few days. I noticed a change about a week after starting. I take lithium and Wellbutrin- but those only seemed to help my anxiety. I still had intermittent depression- I would just get into these moods where one little thing would put me in a fog of sadness and hopelessness. I cried a lot, was distracted, and had a lot of negative racing thoughts. My provider recommended Lexapro since it works on a different neurotransmitter than Wellbutrin. I just feel normal. I don't feel like things are dulled - just that I can control my reaction better. I can feel sad, but I don't feel depressed. I don't dwell on feeling sad."

EllieEight July 9, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started Lexapro for lifelong depression and anxiety, which at times has been quite severe. I have tried probably about 3/4 of all your typical SSRI and SNRI drugs. Some were kind of helpful, some helped a little while then stopped, some made things worse. Lexapro has saved my life. I have been on it about seven months now and feel better than expected. I am not overwhelmed as soon as I wake up, which was a huge reason I slept all the time. I generally feel positive most of the time. One added effect I was not expecting was my concentration, focus and memory seemed to improve. My social anxiety has improved significantly, which was a huge issue for me. This helped me. Keep searching til you find the right med FOR YOU"

julie6485 July 6, 2017

For Anxiety "This drug -super small dose - has changed my life. I have been a nurse for 26 years. My stress and anxiety levels were at the max! I just wanted to sleep on my days off and I did not want to socialize. I was easily overwhelmed and worried constantly. I was just awful. I started lexapro at 10 mg and it was too much ! I backed down to 5 mg and the first 3 weeks were hell. I felt out of body - exhausted but could not sleep - it was just an awful three weeks. After reading many reviews to hang in there --- that's what I did. Around week 3-4 - I adjusted. I felt like my worries rolled off my back, I wanted to do things, I felt more energy than I had in years, I was laughing and finally listening to people did not annoy me! Hang in!!"

Stephanie 1970 July 4, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I switched from Prozac was feeling amazing but there was one problem. It constipated me. I tried to stick to it but it never went away. I do suggest you try this medication because it worked amazing just couldn't handle that side effect. GOOD LUCK"

Wlunate June 29, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro was fine. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't awful. It did lessen my anxiety, but not as much as I had hoped. Every time I went up in dose, I would start to dissociate more frequently, so that didn't really help. I completely lost my ability to orgasm, was constantly constipated, had headaches, and needed 10-12 hours of sleep a night to even begin to function the following day. Coming off of Lexapro was a disaster. I had brain zaps and sweats, and developed major depression, which I hadn't really dealt with ever before."

Courtney1123 June 27, 2017

For Depression "Lexapro helped when I was in college battling depression. I had to go to 30mg to notice a difference. Gained over 25 pounds , no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. After intense therapy and intense workouts my depression lifted after about 6 months. Came off lexapro after two years. Depression came back and lexapro did not work. Trying to get meds back stable. Trying lamatical and prozac now"

Beardman2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017