User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 7)

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

7.9

59 reviews
Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.9 1,368 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Depression "I developed terrible heart palpitations on Lexapro and had to stop using it. Unfortunately the heart palpitations are still occurring even though I have been off the drug for almost 3 months."

alpha23 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro is very successful in decreasing my anxiety levels from moderately high to almost nonexistent. Before Lex, any kind of public speaking would give me HIGH anxiety (lots of physical and mental anxiety symptoms), whereas after Lex I felt close to nothing right before giving a very important presentation. Same with social anxiety - if you have it, symptoms will largely go away with Lex. It is really cool but also kind of scary how effectively this med takes away anxiety, to the point where sometimes I wonder, maybe I SHOULD be feeling anxiety in this situation? Cons: I feel emotionally numb, fat, and constantly sleepy. Caffeine will be your best friend!"

koolaidnovel (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After struggling with severe anxiety (PTSD) and mild depression for years, Lexapro made a huge different. I had done therapy, self-help, and religion (which helped me personally), but it still seemed something just wasn't "quite right." Doctor prescribed 10mg Lexapro and I've never felt better. The world is a different place, not scary, no depressing, just balanced, happy. The first few weeks I had severe drowsiness (I've never slept so much in my life), and a few "head shocks" or "exploding head" events, but it wasn't too bad. The drowsiness was worse, thankfully I had a lot of work built up at my job. A month and a half later and the drowsiness has essentially subsided. I recommend trying this drug if you have anxiety."

Typicalskeleton April 28, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm in a very depressed mood all the time, my doctor put me in lexapro and xanax, but my depression is still there mostly cuz of money, I got way behind and that helped put me in a depressive mood, I'm 74 will b 75 on May 1 and took my granddaughter and her two boys ages 14 and 12 but that helped with my depression cuz supporting them put me behind in my bills, I'm struggling, she just got a job but its temporary, the 12 yr old is a backtalker and at my age it bothers me very much. But the lexapro does help some since my doctor upped my dosage to 20 mg, I can't put them in the street, but grandson who is 35 got divorced last yr and he helps me around the house. and I also suffer from 5 compressed disks in my low back and now travels down my leg"

dancingbug (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2017

For Anxiety "Lexapro was a miracle drug for me as far as treating my severe health anxiety and PTSD. It gave me my life back. I can truly say I was my normal self 98% of the time. However it caused me to have extreme muscle tension and headaches. I was even diagnosed with TMJ and was sleeping with a mouthguard at night. Weaning off Lexapro was horrific for me. It took a good 3 months for all the withdrawal symptoms to subside. Thankfully the headaches and stiff jaw got better as well. I'm sad I can't take Lexapro anymore. It saved my life. I'm about to start on Prozac. We'll see what happens."

RVAmommy April 25, 2017

For Anxiety "I'm someone that has been generally anxious for my whole life with spells of depression sprinkled in. Recently I thought I had been improving with my anxiety but then I had a panic attack, out of the blue, with no rhyme or reason; it just happened. I was afraid this would affect my work so I finally pushed myself to see a psychiatrist, who suggested that Lexapro would be an appropriate option. I started taking it and had some nasty side affects (no appetite, nausea, slight dizziness, jitters, tenseness) for the first two days but after that I noticed how well it was working. My anxiety has lessened immensely and it's giving me a second chance I never knew I wanted. I'm still in the first week of trying it but it's worked excellently so far!"

RosyPosie (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My anxiety hit a high in my mid 20s & went from every once in a while to a constant drowning feeling of anxiety. When it became paralyzing, I started therapy. After 3 months of therapy & being against medication, I started to learn more about the illness, how it runs in my family & because the physical symptoms weren't going away I started Lexapro. For the 1st couple of months as I increased the mg, I became paranoid that I was going to become suicidal. I had never thought about this in my life, never depressed & was actually very happy with my life. I was just so paranoid that I would lose control of my anxiety and hurt myself. It went away and I feel better than ever. I see life differently, more grateful for every day "

Summer38492343 April 22, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started taking Lexapro about 4 months ago, first at just 5mg. As the weeks went by I increased it gradually to 10mg, then 15mg, and now I am on 20mg (have been for about 2 months). I have experienced absolutely no side effects whatsoever on this medication, to my amazement. However it did not really start working until about 2 months ago, it does take time. It does not feel as though I am on antidepressants, what this medication seems to do is prevent me from thinking depression or anxiety-driven thoughts...I am not super happy, but I am definitely not depressed either. It has worked seemlessly, I simply do not delve into those dark depressing thoughts anymore...and I do not experience anxiety. It's been very successful :)"

JonnyG April 19, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been on lexapro for about 4 1/2 months now. I had really bad GAD and OCD I couldn't be left alone with my kids and wouldn't drive just from fear of pretty much everything. I am taking 15mg and it's working.. not as anxious and now able to be alone with my kids and now am driving. I am just pretty frustrated because since I've been on this drug my hair has fallen out quite a bit I have half the amount of hair I used to have.. (which is hard because I do hair) and I'm also starting to see the weight gain. But It has helped a lot with me mentally. I'm kind of scared to wean off. I'm just over my hair falling out."

BISBO April 12, 2017

For Depression "Lexapro made me very tired all the time. I NEEDED a daily midday nap. I'm a college student so I was able to sleep at odd periods of the day, but it was ridiculous. I could get a solid 10 hours of sleep at night but by 1 pm I'd be dead tired. One time I was late picking up a kid I used to babysit from her elementary school because I fell asleep and slept through my alarm in the middle of the afternoon!! I was never the type who could take naps until I started Lexapro. I didn't stay on it for more than 6 months because being THAT tired all the time was ruining my social life, grades, work life, the list goes on."

laura1436 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

For Depression "I've been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and feel SO much better! Prior to starting the medication I cried numerous times daily, had panic attacks, and just felt hopeless/worthless. My life was terrible and I felt like I couldn't function anymore. This medication has really helped me and I have not noticed any side effects so far! I have not cried once since being on the medication. I have a more positive outlook on life now as well. It's wonderful!"

MichelleR16 April 8, 2017

For Anxiety "I started having frequent panic attacks and anxiety spikes and my doctor suggested Lexapro. I had really bad nausea and lack of appetite the first week and had to force myself to eat to ease the hunger pains. After that subsided, I had a lot of muscle tension and soreness. It felt like my whole body was vibrating as if being electrically shocked. I was fidgeting all day, sitting in unusual postures, mistyping far more than usual, and knocking things over on my desk. After four weeks the panic attacks had stopped and my anxiety had improved slightly, but the muscular side-effects had me even more worried. I called my doctor and he switched me back to Sertraline. Tapering off Lexapro made the vibration and tension go away almost immediately."

jtr1988 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suffered a bad panic attack my senior year of college and that experience seemed to open the floodgates of anxiety that I had been keeping dormant most of my life. It was tough for me to get out of the house, go to the gym, see friends and family for months. I finally broke down to my mom and she suggested seeing a therapist. At first I was hesitant to take any meds but I finally gave in and started 10mg of generic Lexapro. Worked wonders and felt fantastic. I stopped taking it a year or so later thinking that I was "cured". Let me tell you, that was a mistake. My GAD has come back with a vengeance. Started up on the 10 mg lexapro about 10 days ago and I almost feel worse. Maybe it's just taking its time now but I'm hopeful it will be ok."

TryingToSeeTheUpside March 29, 2017

For Anxiety "I began taking 5 mg of lexapro 10 days ago, for postpartum depression/anxiety. It has been a lifesaver. The initial side effects faded within a week. I take it in the morning, because I knew that it would possibly make me jittery at first. I had tiredness in the afternoon and evening and a loss of appetite for the first 5 days, but those have faded completely. I searched and searched for positive reviews on this drug for postpartum depression/anxiety and could not find any. If anyone is on the fence about taking medication for postpartum depression, please consider it for a temporary aid in getting you past it."

tiffaday March 24, 2017

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Lexapro after some fairly rough depression and anxiety. I had been in the hospital 3 times in 2 weeks for anxiety attacks. The first day after Lexapro, I felt the depression gone. Literally the first day. However, the first 3-4 weeks were rough. I definitely had nausea and was VERY sleepy. But after about a month, the nausea and sleepiness went away. A nurse at our doctor's office basically told me to suck it up, and that I had to give the medicine time to work. I toughed it out, and after about 6 weeks, it was like a cloud was lifted and I have felt AMAZING ever since. I didn't realize that I have probably had depression and/or anxiety for decades until I found out what it was like to feel great. Still great after a year."

Chris_Kansas March 24, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "This changed my entire world.. I'm 21 Female I've been on Lexapro for 3 months now. My experience, there was a very quick change in my life. I was not aware I had major depression, that was the real kicker. I do not remember a time I felt this alive/"normal"/happy/connected."

Krissycat0 March 21, 2017

For Depression "30. Male. I was completely lethargic and I had pretty bad anxiety. I always stressed about job assignments at work and rarely ever wanted to leave my room at home. I had no energy and I frequently called into work. I thought I had low testosterone so I had some bloodwork done, my doctor prescribed me lexapro 10mg in the meantime and I felt my anxiety and depression just disappear. I remember the moment I knew the medication was working when I was sitting on my porch feeling glad to be alive for once, enjoying the weather and just smiling. I feel like my old self before the crazy depression. Yawning and diarrhea is annoying. But I'll take that to enjoy little pleasures in life again."

Theaudiowar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been taking lexapro 10mg since Jan. It has helped with my depression. But I started feeling down an anxious. So I asked for my dose to go up. I'm now on 20mg. I can feel the difference. I do take clonazepam for when feel my anxiety kicks in. However I've come down feeling very sick since starting the 20mg like I did when I started the 10mg. Not a very great side affect. I also get very sleepy so I do have to take it at bedtime. Dreams seem very real. Scary real. Hopefully I don't have to be on very long when my vitamin d goes up to its normal levels."

chyster March 18, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am in week 3 of this medication for generalized anxiety & panic. So far, it's been great besides my constant drowsiness. Does anyone have this as well?! Will this side effect pass?! In the past I was on 20mg of Celexa (beginning in 2011 until 2016) I decided to come off my celexa last summer which was a terrible idea as my anxiety and panic came back stronger than ever. My doctor suggested lexapro and I have noticed a change in my anxiety and panic! Just drowsy."

Linds77777777 (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was suffering from major depression and anxiety disorder. I had adverse reactions to Zoloft and Trazodone so I was beginning to believe there was no hope. I could not function and the anxiety disorder caused high blood pressure, anorexia and absolute dysfunction of my life. I couldn't go for more than a few hours without xanax. Then my doctor put me on Lexapro. I began taking 5mg a day on 3/1/2017. After 11 days a miracle occurred, I woke up with a positive attitude for the 1st time in ages and each day has been even better. There is hope. Side effects for me was morning fatigue so will switch to taking at bedtime. My blood pressure was 107/66 today at my doctor appointment. I don't even need the xanax and I am hungry for once."

Annieisfinenow (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

For Depression "I've experienced major depression along with high anxiety. Lexapro has been FANTASTIC for me in helping to get rid of my depression AND helping my anxiety significantly. I've tried Prozac, and compared to the two Lexapro has given me much less side effects, has not interacted with other drugs I take, works faster, and has given me my life back. Overall, I think anyone who is suffering with depression, but also has high anxiety can definitely benefit from this drug. It's been great for me and I think it's worth a shot for anyone who isn't having much luck with other SSRIs."

deagle415 March 12, 2017

For Anxiety "I was prescribed lexapro about a year after my assault. I took only one pill. It made me feel worse than the anxiety it self. I was in a daze all day not sure how I made to college that day and back home. Walking was like I was drunk and the overall feeling inside me was horrible. what a waste of $65.00 back then."

creativenina March 10, 2017

For Depression "My anxiety and depression really bogged me down and made me bound to my bed until I started taking lexapro. Honestly the first 1-3 weeks the side effects are very rough as your brain has to get accustomed to the changing of chemicals. I had blurry vision, dizziness, sweating issues and felt weird, but I stuck to it and eventually started waking up earlier than ever which was uncharacteristic and started enjoying life. This drug is great and makes me want to major in Psych. Recommend"

Brando33555 March 6, 2017

For Depression "I've been on lexapro for about 2 weeks. The first few days I felt amazing. I just got a kick of energy and happiness. It felt great. Soon after that I was majorly depressed again and back to my suicidal thoughts. Everything that goes along with depression. Hopefully it begins working soon."

Gerxcxsline March 5, 2017

For Anxiety "I suffer from depression and anxiety. I was on a number of meds before my doctor put me on Lexapro.. they were all horrible and made my anxiety worse. I was starting to lose hope that I would never find a medication to help. Thankfully Lexapro is helping! It's a lifesaver!! I could tell a difference after the first day..I'm much more "normal" I don't fly into a rage so easily, I don't feel overwhelmed constantly and I'm not irritated all the time for no reason. My moods are much more stable. Before Lexapro I seriously felt like I was losing it. My husband even told me he notices a huge difference in me since being on this. I'm also prescribed klonopin for my anxiety but since being on Lexapro I haven't had a need to take it. I love Lexapro!"

AmberLynnxX (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017