User Reviews for Truvada

Truvada has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings on Drugs.com. 58% of those users who reviewed Truvada reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis
5.8
HIV Infection
7.2
Nonoccupational Exposure
Summary of Truvada reviews 6.5 30 reviews

Reviews for Truvada

Jnw · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “Still waiting too find out if insurance covers it. Who can afford $6,000?”

William · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 28, 2020

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “DO NOT take Truvada or Descovy if you care about your face and waistline. It's better just to abstain. I took Truvada for six months and my cheeks lost fat and are sunken in. Plus, the fat redistributed to my waist and became even more dense. I took this medicine to save myself from HIV, but didn't realize I'd end up looking like a ghoul in the process. STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF.”

RQ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2020

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “Truvada worked out fine for a couple months, had mild headaches and some nausea the first couple of days when I started taking it. Then it was all good for a while. But a recent physical with a urine test showed I had abnormal kidney function, Stage 2 CKD (which is pretty mild but still concerning). I thought at first I was just experiencing my usual insomnia and general soreness, but they got worse the longer I was on the medicine. Definitely stopping Truvada use and switching to another type of PreP.”

Anonymous February 12, 2015

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “I can't believe there aren't Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis reviews here yet! I've been on PrEP treatment for a little over 6 months and its been uneventful. Nothing, nada, zilch has happened. Except, despite a huge increase in sex. I had a bad hypomanic episode last year that translated into poor choices), I don't have HIV. So, I suppose it's worked! No noticeable side effects for me. All blood work (kidneys/etc) are in the normal range.”

Bad drug · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2020

For HIV Infection: “After taking Truvada with seemingly zero issues I had a nagging spine ache issue. Finally the pain landed me in the ER and after many tests and scans I was informed I have Degenerative Disc Disease. This disease in incurable but not life threatening. I wasn't informed that is a side effect of Truvada which I continued taking and my pain issues grew much worse. Once being informed of the link to Truvada I switched meds and the pain stayed but stopped accelerating. If your spine gives you any pain on Truvada TELL YOUR DOCTOR. The pain can become debilitating”

jnmitch · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2019

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “My husband and I have been taking Truvada as PrEP for the past 3.5 years. The only symptom we both experienced during the first few weeks was a very localized and nearly constant mild headache located just above and behind the palate - very much like where one would feel a "brain freeze," which sensation is far more unpleasant, though of much shorter duration, than the side-effect we experienced when starting of Truvada. The headache wasn't debilitating and we were able to tolerate it without taking pain relievers. Aside from those initial "ice cream" headaches, we have tolerated Truvada very well and our lab results have always returned normal. Perhaps the best positive effect we've experienced from taking Truvada every day is an enormous reduction in psychological stress, anxiety and fears about HIV transmission. We learned what "undetectable" status really means and have been able to overcome the social and sexual stigma of HIV. Undetectable = Untransmittable! #UequalsU”

JohnnyRF August 29, 2013

For HIV Infection: “I started Truvada once a day along with Isentress twice a day and my HIV Load was 28,000 and CD4% 31%. After 40 days my HIV load is <20 and CD 4% 32,7. Excellent improvement considering I have experienced ZERO side effects and all other lab work came out well. I am 49 yrs old and very active.”

Hair Crazy · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 28, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I been using Truvada for almost 5 years, my numbers are okay, recently became undetectable, I notice a major sleeping problem, my knees, ankles and back always hurting while I'm on quarantine so much time off decided to do some research, I am only 46 and have more pain than a 90 year old, I am sure I can blame Truvada for that”

Sex Worker June 29, 2019

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “I have taken Truvada for 2 years. For 2 months, I had nausea and vomiting. I didn’t drink or use any drugs. I had no side effects, for a time. At one point I went off Truvada and started it again a couple months later. I experienced the nausea and vomiting all over again for a month. After resuming drinking for about 6 weeks, I had headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, vertigo, confusion, urinary symptoms, etc. I read that alcohol can worsen side effects of Truvada, and stopped drinking. Many side effects have subsided. Ongoing side effects which trouble me are urinary frequency and urgency, and a feeling of extreme pressure when my bladder is even slightly full, and extreme thirst. I have also had trouble swallowing. Was tested for bladder infections and STI’s and have ruled those out. My concern is that it might be damaging my kidneys. I have testing 2 weeks from now, and am anxious to see my kidney values!”

Anon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 12, 2019

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “I take TRUVADA for 1 year now as PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) my lab results have always come back normal and HIV negative . I sometimes visit bath houses which are very risky places and always remained HIV negative. My only side effects I had was some diarrhea the first week and about 40 pounds in weight loss maybe due to appetite loss. Other then that prep has been effective and an amazing drug in my opinion.”

A-Chicago · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2017

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “I'm been taking Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV (PREP) now for over 3 years. It's kept me HIV negative, thankfully. However, the longer I'm on it the more issues I have with sleep and irritability... I also feel like I'm not very enthusiastic as I was before taking PREP. This can all be tied to the sleep problems that I feel are a side affect of TRUVADA. So I'm not completely free of side affects. But I am glad that their is a pill we gay men can take to protect us from HIV.”

Anonymous December 24, 2011

For HIV Infection: “I have been on the combination of Truvada/Prezista/Norvir for over 2 years now. The side effects that cause me the most problems are the ones dealing with my kidneys! The Truvada has made my GFR go down to 30, very close to changing medicines at that point. But it has been working so well that we took a very close monitoring of my kidney function, and my GFR has stabilized around 55. Other than that the side effects have been minimal to none. Great medicine overall!”

Dave · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2018

For HIV Infection: “Doctor put me truvada as part of my medication for HIV, I almost died from it. My kidneys went down to 50%, luckily we caught it in time. The new medication is just one pill and the pill and myself get along.”

71 days · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2020

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “I had my first 90 day Truvada prescription and I stopped taking it after I got my kidneys tested on day 71 (12/20/19). The creatinine level raised to 1.7 and GFR was 57. I was ordered a kidneys test on 12/31/19 for safety due to being sick. The creatinine level again raised up to 2.0 and GFR dropped to 38. I was recommended to get another test after a week to see if the kidneys will get better. I'm nervous because I expected the kidney would start getting back to normal after I had stopped Truvada but no.”

Sick and Regretful · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I was unnecessarily prescribed Truvada post-exposure prophylaxis against the standard protocol at a clinic in Montreal. I was on it for a month. Midway through I developed what I thought were intestinal issues. I was told not to worry about it and that there would be no permanent side effects. After discontinuation the issue did not go away and instead got worse. I now have chronic pancreatitis. I am in constant pain. I can't sleep or eat. I've lost over 30 lbs in a month-and-a-half. It has completely ruined my life. DO NOT take this medication unless you are 100% positive that you absolutely have to.”

OkiCo January 2, 2020

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “I took Truvada for a year a PrEP. For the entire 12 months I vomited and had intense nausea just about everyday. Labs were always normal, and doctors said side effects would go away, they never did. I’m in a long term sero-discordant relationship with someone who has an undetectable VL, and normal CD4 count, We both have several long term regular play partners. Vomiting every day is not normal, and subsided once I D/C’d the Truvada. I’ve essentially gone back to condoms, and my regular partners don’t mind. Truvada is obviously not for everyone, but helps prevent infections in those who can tolerate it. I highly discourage taking the medication if your side effects continue past the time they’re supposed to subside, I have damage to my esophagus related to vomiting Nearly everyday for a year. Not worth it for me, the medicine Does protect against infection but not a justification to puke and feel like death everyday. Don’t think I’ll risk it with descovy.”

Scott DeBerg April 19, 2010

For HIV Infection: “After one year on Truvada in combination with Prezista and Norvir - the only listed side effect I may be suffering from is insomnia - and I think that has more to do with other factors than with Truvada (I take it at Noon). After hearing about possible side effects with HIV medicines- it is a pleasant surprise!”

SicklyLisa · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 18, 2015

For HIV Infection: “I`ve been on truvada daily for more than 5 years. I have had numerous problems tho it has kept my viral load undetectable. Most recent issues are elevated creatine, elevated lipase, UTI`s, nausea, vomiting, bloating. They are slowly ruling out all other causes but I am suspecting it is the meds. I started on truvada, norvir and lexiva but after a few years on that combo my liver began to fail. They stopped the HIV meds then but opted to reintroduce the truvada as it's excreted thru kidneys and added isentress. That was changed to tivicay and truvada which is my current regimen.”

DWEBoston · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “I lost weight when starting this drug. YAY I also got cellulitis 4 times over a 6 month period. When I stopped Truvada, the cellulitis stopped. (Dermatologist suggested) When I waited a few weeks and started again, the Cellulitis immediately began and I stopped all together. I am HIV negative. Was only taking for PREP.”

Heart rate issues · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2017

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “Tried Truvada twice as PrEP, including this spring. Both times my heart rate went crazy during my regular exercise routines starting about 3 weeks after going on the medication. I'm discontinuing Truvada again, and hoping my heart returns to normal behavior in a couple weeks, as it did last time.”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2020

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “The first day I took Truvada I had low appetite and a little grogginess, however the side effects were gone by the next day. I'm still not experience side effects. I'm glad that science has come a long way to protect us from HIV - I am taking it for PrEP.”

lorenhays September 4, 2008

For HIV Infection: “I've been using Truvada for about three months with no noted side effects. Once daily dosing of one pill is great and it can be taken with or without food.”

Nor Cal SF September 19, 2016

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “I have been on daily Truvada for PrEP for 2 years. I haven't had any side effects and my bloodwork has been normal, and I've remained HIV negative.”

Such is life August 2, 2015

For HIV Infection: “I have been taking Truvuda and Edurant combination for the past two years, no side effects at all and my viral load is 20, CD4 good too. And living in Thailand the medication is so cheap.”

Anonymous May 19, 2011

For HIV Infection: “My viral load has gone for 180,000 to undetectable in 10 months.”

Anonymous September 30, 2011

For HIV Infection: “I started use Truvada, when Intelence affected my liver. Great combination. I stopped use sleeping pills. Take Truvada before bed. Great medicine.”

njrichie · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 26, 2016

For HIV Infection: “No side effects experienced in almost two years on this drug. Now taking with Tivicay and no problem so far.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2020

For Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: “Truvada gave me headaches and depression”