User Reviews for Emtricitabine / tenofovir

Nonoccupational Exposure

Summary of Emtricitabine/tenofovir reviews 8.6 21 reviews

Reviews for Emtricitabine/tenofovir

Sex Worker June 29, 2019

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: "I have taken Truvada for 2 years. For 2 months, I had nausea and vomiting. I didn’t drink or use any drugs. I had no side effects, for a time. At one point I went off Truvada and started it again a couple months later. I experienced the nausea and vomiting all over again for a month. After resuming drinking for about 6 weeks, I had headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, vertigo, confusion, urinary symptoms, etc. I read that alcohol can worsen side effects of Truvada, and stopped drinking. Many side effects have subsided. Ongoing side effects which trouble me are urinary frequency and urgency, and a feeling of extreme pressure when my bladder is even slightly full, and extreme thirst. I have also had trouble swallowing. Was tested for bladder infections and STI’s and have ruled those out. My concern is that it might be damaging my kidneys. I have testing 2 weeks from now, and am anxious to see my kidney values!"

Pj · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2019

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: "I have been on Truvada for 3 months and had no symptoms at all. Seems to be doing the job it’s meant to do."

Anon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 12, 2019

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: "I take TRUVADA for 1 year now as PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) my lab results have always come back normal and HIV negative . I sometimes visit bath houses which are very risky places and always remained HIV negative. My only side effects I had was some diarrhea the first week and about 40 pounds in weight loss maybe due to appetite loss. Other then that prep has been effective and an amazing drug in my opinion."

jnmitch · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2019

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: "My husband and I have been taking Truvada as PrEP for the past 3.5 years. The only symptom we both experienced during the first few weeks was a very localized and nearly constant mild headache located just above and behind the palate - very much like where one would feel a "brain freeze," which sensation is far more unpleasant, though of much shorter duration, than the side-effect we experienced when starting of Truvada. The headache wasn't debilitating and we were able to tolerate it without taking pain relievers. Aside from those initial "ice cream" headaches, we have tolerated Truvada very well and our lab results have always returned normal. Perhaps the best positive effect we've experienced from taking Truvada every day is an enormous reduction in psychological stress, anxiety and fears about HIV transmission. We learned what "undetectable" status really means and have been able to overcome the social and sexual stigma of HIV. Undetectable = Untransmittable! #UequalsU"

Dave · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2018

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "Doctor put me truvada as part of my medication for HIV, I almost died from it. My kidneys went down to 50%, luckily we caught it in time. The new medication is just one pill and the pill and myself get along."

Heart rate issues · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2017

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: "Tried Truvada twice as PrEP, including this spring. Both times my heart rate went crazy during my regular exercise routines starting about 3 weeks after going on the medication. I'm discontinuing Truvada again, and hoping my heart returns to normal behavior in a couple weeks, as it did last time."

mookie1234 June 12, 2017

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Nonoccupational Exposure: "I'm on it but I just don't trust it so take other precautions I wish my partner would just stop trying to have sex with me truthfully"

A-Chicago · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2017

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: "I'm been taking Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV (PREP) now for over 3 years. It's kept me HIV negative, thankfully. However, the longer I'm on it the more issues I have with sleep and irritability... I also feel like I'm not very enthusiastic as I was before taking PREP. This can all be tied to the sleep problems that I feel are a side affect of TRUVADA. So I'm not completely free of side affects. But I am glad that their is a pill we gay men can take to protect us from HIV."

Nor Cal SF September 19, 2016

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: "I have been on daily Truvada for PrEP for 2 years. I haven't had any side effects and my bloodwork has been normal, and I've remained HIV negative."

njrichie · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 26, 2016

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "No side effects experienced in almost two years on this drug. Now taking with Tivicay and no problem so far."

Moo90 December 15, 2015

For Nonoccupational Exposure: "I had a needle stick injury at work. I'm really having a bad experience with this product my eyes are itching and the my vision is affected. My nose is always blocked and I'm constantly tired. My chest is tight I'm having difficulty in breathing at time's. I wish I could just stop the treatment as I'm emotionally massed up. My hay fever is so worse. It's really not going good for me. I wish there was another tablet I can take."

SicklyLisa · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 18, 2015

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "I`ve been on truvada daily for more than 5 years. I have had numerous problems tho it has kept my viral load undetectable. Most recent issues are elevated creatine, elevated lipase, UTI`s, nausea, vomiting, bloating. They are slowly ruling out all other causes but I am suspecting it is the meds. I started on truvada, norvir and lexiva but after a few years on that combo my liver began to fail. They stopped the HIV meds then but opted to reintroduce the truvada as it's excreted thru kidneys and added isentress. That was changed to tivicay and truvada which is my current regimen."

Such is life August 2, 2015

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "I have been taking Truvuda and Edurant combination for the past two years, no side effects at all and my viral load is 20, CD4 good too. And living in Thailand the medication is so cheap."

Anonymous February 12, 2015

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis: "I can't believe there aren't Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis reviews here yet! I've been on PrEP treatment for a little over 6 months and its been uneventful. Nothing, nada, zilch has happened. Except, despite a huge increase in sex. I had a bad hypomanic episode last year that translated into poor choices), I don't have HIV. So, I suppose it's worked! No noticeable side effects for me. All blood work (kidneys/etc) are in the normal range."

Bayne · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2015

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "Been on Truvada/Norvir/Prezista combination for 3 years after Zerit was discontinued and I developed a resistance to Sustiva. No noted side effects other than urine diluted. "

JohnnyRF August 29, 2013

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "I started Truvada once a day along with Isentress twice a day and my HIV Load was 28,000 and CD4% 31%. After 40 days my HIV load is <20 and CD 4% 32,7. Excellent improvement considering I have experienced ZERO side effects and all other lab work came out well. I am 49 yrs old and very active."

Anonymous December 24, 2011

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "I have been on the combination of Truvada/Prezista/Norvir for over 2 years now. The side effects that cause me the most problems are the ones dealing with my kidneys! The Truvada has made my GFR go down to 30, very close to changing medicines at that point. But it has been working so well that we took a very close monitoring of my kidney function, and my GFR has stabilized around 55. Other than that the side effects have been minimal to none. Great medicine overall!"

Anonymous September 30, 2011

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "I started use Truvada, when Intelence affected my liver. Great combination. I stopped use sleeping pills. Take Truvada before bed. Great medicine."

Anonymous May 19, 2011

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "My viral load has gone for 180,000 to undetectable in 10 months."

Scott DeBerg April 19, 2010

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "After one year on Truvada in combination with Prezista and Norvir - the only listed side effect I may be suffering from is insomnia - and I think that has more to do with other factors than with Truvada (I take it at Noon). After hearing about possible side effects with HIV medicines- it is a pleasant surprise!"

lorenhays September 4, 2008

Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir) for HIV Infection: "I've been using Truvada for about three months with no noted side effects. Once daily dosing of one pill is great and it can be taken with or without food."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)