User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 7)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cymbalta.

Anxiety

Chronic Pain
6.1

Summary of Cymbalta reviews 6.6 1,107 reviews

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Back Pain "I suffer with several disc herniations and bulges from a automobile accident. I also have bone spurs on one of my vertebrae. Due to the workers comp case and doctors over prescirbing oxycodone which is the only pain meds out of almost 40 tried that helps my pain. They prescribed cymbalta to replace my oxycodone. They have cut my dosage in half and gave me cymbalta which I took for the first time They think oxycodone is such a bad drug? Taking cymbalta I was so high and hyper my heart beating out of my chest skin crawling and did nothing for pain and I really thought I was going to die. If I drove I probably would have killed some one. I never felt anything except pain relief from oxycodone???"

Manyseverebackproblems (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "After taking Cipralex for anxiety for over 6 months, I began to experience very low mood and energy levels. My doctor recommended I switch to Cymbalta. Overall my experience has been positive. I didn't even notice, but on Cipralex I had a very decreased sex drive that rebounded right back once I was put on Cymbalta. I had trouble finishing the first 2 weeks during sex, but this side effect along with decreased appetite dissipated after the first 3 weeks of treatment. Overall my mood has stabilized and I feel very good on this drug. Please note that people tend to report either great or horrible experiences and everyone reacts to drugs differently. Take reviews with a grain of salt and always collaborate with your doctor for best results."

cpbeans December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "So far, so good. I haven't been on it very long but I definitely feel like my overall quality of life has improved. Mild headache and nausea the first week or two, which went away. I still get sad, when sad things happen, but it no longer feels overwhelming. The "doom and gloom" is definitely gone. I take 2 a day, in the morning."

CGW70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This is like a miracle drug to me. I suffer from severe depression, anxiety & fibromyalgia. After 2 weeks on Cymbalta my pain significantly improved as well as my mood/anxiety. I'm taking 60 mg once a day."

Tamz65 December 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy "I've been on Cymbalta/30mg for 1 week. Strong diarrhea first night, missed work the next day. Since then little trouble sleeping, napping on my days off. I work 12 hr shifts on my feet on a cement floor. I lost the feeling in my toes almost a year ago. Dealt with the hot coals burning on the bottom of my feet also. In such a short length of time I have had some relief in the burning of my soles and with the back pain. Hoping for continued improvement"

Ssanders261 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Second worst psych med I have ever taken, and I have taken 20 psych meds. First off it's caused an insane amount of horrible side effects. I feel like I am living a fog all the time and feel like I'm literally going insane. It's caused chronic muscle ache (I had no pain problems before taking this med) The only thing worse than dealing with being on this med is dealing with the miserable extremely long withdrawal of trying to get off of it. I have tried numerous times to get off of it using a slow weaning process, but it's just so difficult to get off of. I can truly say I wish I had never started this med, and there a much better meds out there for all conditions, that won't ruin your life."

Tsuluzo012 December 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on 6 different meds now for depression. Truthfully, night before last, I almost voluntarily committed myself to psych. I couldn't take it anymore. After talking to my husband and my best friend, I decided not to go to the ER, but instead make an urgent next day appointment. I am I glad I did!!! I took dose #1(30 mg) at 3 pm. No zombie feeling. No brain fog. I mean, I could definitely feel I took something, but completely unlike any other med. Side effects, extremely nauseous, a little sweaty, giggly. Along with my SEVERE depression, I have multiple autoimmune diseases, PTSD, crippling anxiety, and chronic nerve/joint pain. I have not noticed decrease in pain yet, but wasn't expecting to after a single dose."

Hashisadceliac December 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Osteoarthritis "I experienced chronic pain for 4 years, I had difficulty sleeping, would go to work, come home and go to bed. Every time I physically exerted myself, taking a shower, preparing a meal, doing household chores, I would need to go lay down. My family would visit me in my bedroom, it was depressing. Cymbalta has changed my life. I can tolerate the cold, even the grocery store used to bother me. I am much more active and find myself only going to bed when it is time for sleep, I also sleep much better. My family has noticed a huge change in me, as far as being a part of life again. This is not without cost..I have the strangest dreams, +30lbs, tired, terribly constipated."

life sucked November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I was placed on Cymbalta for depression in 2006 worked generally for the most part for the depression then in 08 or 09 I found out that they were prescribing it for FM which I do have FM & Cymbalta did absolutely nothing for pain I've had no side effects from the drug at all none. In my research for new SSRI I came across Savella which is designed for FM & I did a less than 30 days switch over from Cymbalta to Savella with 0 adverse effects or side effects( this medicine is working both for the depression & the FM.) I am also taking oxycodone 2/10Mg every 4hrs (in a 24 tyme frame)-12 pills a day. I'm also taking Flexeril 10 mg 3x a day & ibuprofen 800 mg 3x a day, & Tylenol I don't take the Tylenol because of the deaths that occurred!"

DaveyTheDJ November 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "We all have challenges in life. I suffer from PTSD and depression. Over the years I have tried a few different medications. My fantastic physican based in Phoenix, AZ recommeded Cymbalta. It has really made a positive difference in my life. I have noticed that I'm doing a lot better in life. First my body pains have decreased. Followed by I'm more happy and positive. I'm more active in the local community through my commitment to a couple different volunteer organizations. If it wasn't for my caring and magnificent physican and NP I wouldn't be where I'm at today. I'm grateful for their support and on how well Cymbalta works. My quality of life has improved. Thank you for your time."

Cymbalta helps a lot... (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I've had RA for 56 years, and of course pain. Before having my gastric surgery I had tremendous pain in my lower back. A nurse friend who also as RA said I should try it, I took 30mg the first night and rocketed out of bed the next morning; the second night/morning the same thing, no pain and the flexibility to jump right out of bed. The third night I was wondering if I was just having a good couple of mornings, so I skipped the dose; I woke up at 2am with excruciating pain and downed the cymbalta. The next morning around 9am, I launched out of bed forgetting all about any pain. Bottom line, for me it was a God send, like most meds; you can't expect everyone to react the same. It's not rocket science people, get a weeks worth of samples."

FlyGuyRA November 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Out of the blue I started experiencing anxiety, I was nervous for no reason and having anxiety about anxiety! I tried change my diet and so on. Then I had the mother of all panic attacks (I'd never had one). I quickly realized that I needed to talk to my doctor. I tried zoloft and celexa, both gave me terrible side effects. I stuck with zoloft for 2 months and wasnt feeling any better so I went off discouraged. Then I started on cymbalta. Its been about 5 months with zero side effects. I realized a few days ago that the meds must be working, on a particularly stressful day I felt a panic attack coming on but it just didn't materialize into anything. Then I realized I really haven't been nervous for sometime. It can get better :) 40mg"

30yrs mother & wifey (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I saw this medication as a marvel, until I started taking it. I had no problems, except for some nausea, during the first 2-3 months I was on it. And it seemed to help somewhat with pain. Then the fun began: restless legs syndrome, insomnia, horrible sweating even when it was cold, urinary incontinence and frequency, muscle spasms, elevated liver enzymes...but hey, there's another medication for all those side effects. Finally after 3 years, I had had enough and was ready to move on. Unfortunately, the Lilly recommended taper is downright dangerous. After the alternating 60mg/30mg and drop to 30 mg, I was in full blown Cymbalta discontinuation syndrome. Look it up; it's not pretty. Run away from this med as fast as you can."

Cymbalta Sux (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "This was the most helpful antidepressant for me (previous were Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Effexor). I was getting along with people, working out regularly, and had no side effects except for a bit of drowsiness depending on when I took it. Eventually I was diagnosed with having a bipolar component and so now I'm taking Lamictal with it. Overall a pretty potent and good medication."

roger_d_1989 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I developed a chronic pain syndrome post chole 25 year ago. My pain waxed and wained. Pain medication did nothing. The only thing that helped a little was muscle relaxants. My doctor suggested cymbalta. The effect was immediate. I just thought I was having a good week. I took 30 mg daily (lowest dose). The pain never returned. I still have muscle stiffness but the pain associated with it is gone. I have an arthritic thumb from an injury that still causes me pain. So for arthritic pain it does not seem to help. All I can say is give it a try. The effects for me were immediate."

Tuna1 November 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "For some reason I am still feeling depressed after switching from Cymbalta to a generic brand. I am finding it harder to deal with everyday life now that I switched than before. I have been looking for info on weather or not the generic form is just as effective as the brand name. If anyone can help with any kind of information that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks."

Sad and confused (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had/having a horrible time with this medication. Currently trying to wean off with my MDs help. I've had every listed side effect and subsequent health problems that required expensive work ups. Most dramatically I developed vertigo and severe headaches after being on the med for about 3-4 months. Vertigo was debilitating and required time off of work and multiple doctor appointments to rule out other conditions. I also had electrical zings and numbness and tingling down my body. The weaning has been the most problematic causing these awful side effects to worsen. I'm a registered nurse and I would never recommend this drug to anybody. I did not feel any benefits for my depression."

Susieirene1980 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Cymbalta is from the devil Evil, evil drug. Trying to stop it is hell on earth. Severe anxiety and emotional pain. Horrible dreams. I am an absolute wreck. Didn't take it for three days and was in extreme trouble. They don't make the dose low enough so you can get off it. Lowest is 30mg. Load of garbage."

Cymbalta is from the devil (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Helped the fibro pain completely. But my sleep is totally messed up and I am tied all the time Also I feel emotionally flat. No motivation at all. For now I'll keep on it as having total body pain 24/7 was hell on earth"

Lottielayna October 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "My personal advice to anyone thinking of starting Cymbalta, don't do it. I only wish someone told me before I took it. Granted, it did take the edge off of some of my pain short term. The side effects just aren't worth it. I was fortunate enough to only suffer mood swings, anger, brain zaps and so on for about a month because I wasn't on it that long. They don't tell you that once you start taking Cymbalta, it's near impossible for someone to safely come off on their own if they have been on it more than a couple of months. Just please do your research. Some people have had great success but others barely lived to tell their horror stories and others aren't here"

Diveranda (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Guys I have unbearable anxiety everyday. Nothing seems to work. I'm currently on lyrics which dulls it down a little but its highly addictive and you can't miss a dose or you go through hell. It affects your sex drive also. I have tried all the anti D's I can think of but nothing seems to work. Life is hell everyday I get up and its the same mental torment. What do I do? Is cymbalta worth trying?"

Big anx October 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have GAD and mild depression. I initially had side effects such as insomnia, no appetite, and nausea but they went away after a few days. This has helped my anxiety tremendously! It is not without side effects though. If I forget to take it I will get nausea, headaches and dizziness. I did gain weight and some diarrhea but it has had no bad sexual side effects. I have been taking this for a year now. I am finding that the depression is now increasing so maybe time for a dosage change. Just keep in mind everyone is different and sometimes the benefits outweigh the effects."

ItWorksnow October 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Been on cymbalta 30 mg for days now. Controls my anxiety and my hunger. I hv lost about 8lbs and feel good. Also helps with my sleep at night. I am happy"

Lorraine 1972 (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "started sweating first few days after starting med, and had weird feelings this med was making it worse. All went away after two weeks and now I am doing well with this med."

sgtjohn October 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had been suffering from depression, suicidal thoughts & tendencies anxiety and nerve damage. I went to a doctor who prescribed me cymbalta and I started on 30 mg. I was on it for about 1 week and I noticed I wasnt eating. I would have to tell myself to eat because I could go a whole day without eating anything. I noticed I did feel a little bit better in my ways but it wasnt enough to keep me motivated to do anything. So the second week I was put on 60 mg. I can say I have never been this motivated ever with school work going out with friends trying new things and actually participating in school. Im 4 weeks in now & ive never been better. Downsides: restlessness waking from sleep jitters and waves of feeling hyper."

Wacka (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016