User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression (Page 7)

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta

Tsuluzo012 December 3, 2016

“Second worst psych med I have ever taken, and I have taken 20 psych meds. First off it's caused an insane amount of horrible side effects. I feel like I am living a fog all the time and feel like I'm literally going insane. It's caused chronic muscle ache (I had no pain problems before taking this med) The only thing worse than dealing with being on this med is dealing with the miserable extremely long withdrawal of trying to get off of it. I have tried numerous times to get off of it using a slow weaning process, but it's just so difficult to get off of. I can truly say I wish I had never started this med, and there a much better meds out there for all conditions, that won't ruin your life.”

Hashisadceliac December 3, 2016

“I've been on 6 different meds now for depression. Truthfully, night before last, I almost voluntarily committed myself to psych. I couldn't take it anymore. After talking to my husband and my best friend, I decided not to go to the ER, but instead make an urgent next day appointment. I am I glad I did!!! I took dose #1(30 mg) at 3 pm. No zombie feeling. No brain fog. I mean, I could definitely feel I took something, but completely unlike any other med. Side effects, extremely nauseous, a little sweaty, giggly. Along with my SEVERE depression, I have multiple autoimmune diseases, PTSD, crippling anxiety, and chronic nerve/joint pain. I have not noticed decrease in pain yet, but wasn't expecting to after a single dose.”

Cymbalta helps a lot... · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2016

“We all have challenges in life. I suffer from PTSD and depression. Over the years I have tried a few different medications. My fantastic physican based in Phoenix, AZ recommeded Cymbalta. It has really made a positive difference in my life. I have noticed that I'm doing a lot better in life. First my body pains have decreased. Followed by I'm more happy and positive. I'm more active in the local community through my commitment to a couple different volunteer organizations. If it wasn't for my caring and magnificent physican and NP I wouldn't be where I'm at today. I'm grateful for their support and on how well Cymbalta works. My quality of life has improved. Thank you for your time.”

Sad and confused · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 2, 2016

“For some reason I am still feeling depressed after switching from Cymbalta to a generic brand. I am finding it harder to deal with everyday life now that I switched than before. I have been looking for info on weather or not the generic form is just as effective as the brand name. If anyone can help with any kind of information that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.”

Susieirene1980 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 28, 2016

“I had/having a horrible time with this medication. Currently trying to wean off with my MDs help. I've had every listed side effect and subsequent health problems that required expensive work ups. Most dramatically I developed vertigo and severe headaches after being on the med for about 3-4 months. Vertigo was debilitating and required time off of work and multiple doctor appointments to rule out other conditions. I also had electrical zings and numbness and tingling down my body. The weaning has been the most problematic causing these awful side effects to worsen. I'm a registered nurse and I would never recommend this drug to anybody. I did not feel any benefits for my depression.”

sgtjohn October 12, 2016

“started sweating first few days after starting med, and had weird feelings this med was making it worse. All went away after two weeks and now I am doing well with this med.”

Wacka · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2016

“I had been suffering from depression, suicidal thoughts & tendencies anxiety and nerve damage. I went to a doctor who prescribed me cymbalta and I started on 30 mg. I was on it for about 1 week and I noticed I wasnt eating. I would have to tell myself to eat because I could go a whole day without eating anything. I noticed I did feel a little bit better in my ways but it wasnt enough to keep me motivated to do anything. So the second week I was put on 60 mg. I can say I have never been this motivated ever with school work going out with friends trying new things and actually participating in school. Im 4 weeks in now & ive never been better. Downsides: restlessness waking from sleep jitters and waves of feeling hyper.”

RacerMcRacerton October 2, 2016

“I began taking Cymbalta 30 mg on 07-07-16 due to moderately severe depression, anxiety and physical pain. Almost immediately I felt better in all aspects; however, severe chronic constipation also occurred. I took Miralax daily and still only had BMs every two to three days. Then about two to three weeks ago I started feeling angry as if I was backsliding. I was going to increase from 30 mg to 60 mg but my doctor wanted to prescribe a medication for idiopathic constipation, which mine wasn't. My last dose of Cymbalta was on 09/30/16 and I started taking Zoloft 50 mg again on 10/1/16. I guess one can't have it all. Even taking Zoloft causes constipation but I take 20 billion probiotic twice daily and it moves things along regularly.”

JDhomephx · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2016

“My outstanding physician and another member of the team recommended Cymbalta. I switched over from Zoloft and this medicaton works quite well. I suffer from Anxiety, Depression, PTSD, and severe nerve pains. The side effects have been quite minimal. I'm more involved in the community through volunteer activities, working, and accomplishing my goals. I'm more social and interactive. My depression and anxiety have decreased by at least 60 percent. My body pain has decreased. I'm more physically active, eating healthier and just more up beat. A special thanks goes out to my physician, his team and a fantastic representative who also recommended Cymbalta. Thank you for reading my review.”

cymbalt1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2016

“This medication totally changed my life. I was previously suffering from intense suicidality and intrusive thoughts, overwhelming social and physical anxiety. After about 1-2 weeks, I noticed a significant improvement. After 4-8 weeks, things were 100% great. My job isn't the best job to have in the world, but I feel happy to get up and be productive and am proud of working hard. I am happy and confident and wish I would have known about it sooner. The side effects have been minimal, a little bit of restlessness and waking during sleep, not 100% sure if it's attributable to the medication. Overall from my experience I would completely recommend it.”

Eileen W September 19, 2016

“I had moderate depression, crushing anxiety, and probably fibromyalgia. (I've never pursed fibro testing due to no health insurance.) One week ago I just could not go on. Depression, anxiety, and all-over aches and stiffness stopped me in my tracks. One day on 30 mg Cymbalta and it all cleared up. I could not believe it. It is a miracle for me. I've been on it one full week and am now over the slight nausea, dizziness, and dry mouth. YaY! :-)”

meh_says_meh · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2016

“This medicine was a disaster for me. I was put on 30mg once a day before bed and the day I started it I felt the effects. I started to get the shakes, I got hyper, I was nauseous, all my muscles were tense especially my neck, I sweat CONSTANTLY I couldn't drink enough for how bad I was sweating. At the one week mark I was directed to double the dose. BIG mistake. My throat started to get very tight and my pupils were so dilated you could no longer see the color of my eyes; I have glaucoma so that could be why. I eventually went to the ER where they directed me to take one more half dose and stop. I had 0 benefits it just made me feel horrible. Seeing as I had a similar reaction to Effexor I'm clueless as to why I was put on this medication.”

Rntina September 18, 2016

“When I was started on this Med I was not in a good place mentally. I did NOT get the information any health care professional should always give to patients when starting a new treatment. With that being said, the Med not only helped my depression but also my chronic pain issues. I ran out of this Med and was going to refill the following day. I began to experience electric type shocks to my head that I can only like to a cattle prod put against your head. Never had I experienced anything like this before and as it began to become more frequent and worsen I looked up this symptom and was surprised to find that it was associated with the withdrawal of Cymbalta. I had the Med refilled immediately but I am angry I was not fully informed.”

Wrecked Nerves · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2016

“I had been on Effexor for five years and had noticed a decrease in helping me with my depression so my Dr switched me over to Cymbalta ... I did not get harsh side effects aside from a little jitters at the beginning but it soon settled. I must say I have been on it three months and I have been waiting for my anxiety to subside ... Cymbalta no help there at all. Pain I have Ankelosing Spondolosis ... curved spine and pinched nerves (severe sciatica ) no help there either. Maybe my case is just a little more than 60 mg a day can handle ... but honestly I'm ready to go back to effexor, vicodin and alprazolam. At least they worked. If anyone has advice please drop a line.”

Manawaru · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 6, 2016

“Very positive. Reduced senseless anxiety though a perceived negative is that it also aids in supressing useful anxiety. For example, situations of potential physical conflict that pre Cymbalta I wisely walked away from I tend not to do whilst taking the drug. It doesn't make me angry or violent it simply makes me less concerned about the possibilty of a negative outcome.”

WTH Cymbata · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2016

“Started with 30 mg. First day taking it was ok but from day two until now I have had crippling diarrhea, wicked headaches and nausea. Stopping this nasty medicine today. Unbelievable that I had to change doctors and I told the what had worked for me. Lexapro and Alprazolam. But these doctors think they know best.”

Dan9447 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 21, 2016

“I suffer from major depression and many antidepressants have been of little help. My psychiatrist recently put me on Cymbalta and it changed my life. At first it made me feel very racy and jittery but after riding that out for a bit the side effects went away. Now, taking 60mg a day, I feel the best I've felt in about 20 years.”

thoughtsoh August 14, 2016

“I usually cannot handle break-ups and become severely depressed, often crying myself to sleep. I was prescribed this medication for anxiety, which just so happened to be a few days before I was broken up with. Because of this medication, I was able to continue with my life almost unaffected. In fact, I had a more positive outlook, knowing I was worth more than my depression had previously led me to believe. This medication has saved me from an immense amount of emotional suffering.”

Miss Alma · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2016

“Been on this med for 1 week. 30 mg. Within hours I felt better. I have fibromyalgia and depression. Was on 30 mg Celexa for 18 years and it no longer worked. Fibro became so bad I was afraid I would have to retire. Couldn't work properly and difficulty concentrating in the office. Went to a new doctor who recommended Cymbalta. Started it in a.m. and by 3 p.m. the pain was starting to ease. A miracle drug to me. Stayed on 10 mg for 5 days along with the Cymbalta. When stopped Celexa no withdrawal. This med has changed my life. The sun came out again. Everyone reacts differently to meds so I won't say everyone should take, but it certainly has worked for me.”

Hashimotos disease August 5, 2016

“It didn't help depression or low grade chronic pain AT ALL. I had better depression relief from Celexa and Wellbutrin. But the biggest reason I caution against cymbalta is because of the extreme withdrawal symtoms I experienced. I followed the doctor-recommended protocol to wean off. Weaning seems to mean prolonging misery. The nausea and dizziness I have endured for the last 5+ weeks with no end in sight is debilitating. I urge you to please research your options thoroughly before even trying cymbalta.”

Pl24 · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2016

“Made me very sick to my stomach, couldn't eat anything without wanting to vomit. Sedated too much to the point I didn't want to get out of bed all day. Also gave me insomnia. (30 mg)”

Worked for about a month... · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2016

“Then everything went haywire. Psychiatrist kept me going until I was at 120mg a day. Depression worsened, experienced disassociative episodes (foggy memory while on these episodes where I do not remember certain events), increased headaches, insomnia, irritability, and suicidal thoughts. I'm appalled that my psychiatrist thought it was ok to keep increasing the dose until it was more than double what I was taking initially (20mg) despite symptoms getting much worse. During this time I also had 0 access to adequate talk therapies, whether in a group setting or 1-1 with a trained counselor. I am absolutely sickened that these dangerous drugs are promoted as a band-aid fix all solution when talk therapies are completely disregarded.”

Birch bitch July 13, 2016

“I went on Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia pain and depression. I never had any real early side effects like nausea or vomiting, but I have gained 15 pounds. My meds have helped me and I don't suffer from as many days of dreading to get out of bed. Cymbalta has helped me greatly and if some extra weight is the price I have to pay to be happy then I can deal with that.”

ontnurse2 July 11, 2016

“I have tried many many different meds for anxiety and depression.I have been taking this for a month now and it has helped me so much. I have less anxiety episodes and feel much happier and relaxed.”

AmphyAlexis · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2016

“I was hopeful when starting this medication, but it was overall ineffective. It made me sleep a lot, gave me horrible nightmares which piggy-backed off of my PTSD, and made me sweat profusely in my sleep. When I first began the medication, it felt like my muscles were weak. My limbs would shake and i'd also feel as though I couldn't hold my bladder. The nightmares were the worst part. I'd wake up screaming or crying.”