User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Anxiety (Page 7)

Cymbalta Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 164 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Cymbalta

"I am taking 60 mg of Cymbalta for anxiety and depression. Previously I had been on Lexapro (which gave me nightmares) and Paxil, which worked for a time but sent me into a relapse when I was weaned off of it. I have noticed a few side effects - the most predominant one is that it makes me very tired. I don't have much of an appetite, but when I do, I crave sweets and have put on a few pounds as a result. Very little sex drive, though it was low to begin with. Although the medication has helped to keep my anxiety at a manageable level, my general mood has been very blank - I feel very little in the way of happiness or sadness. My doctor has suggested either switching to a higher dose (120 mg) of Cymbalta, or changing to Zoloft or Paxil."

Anonymous April 28, 2011

"Cymbalta has changed my life. I suffer from anxiety and trichotillomania which is an obsessive hair pulling disorder which stems from the anxiety. I've tried many different medications such as Prozac and Zoloft etc. I had bad luck with those. The first two weeks on Cymbalta was rough. I was very very dizzy, felt sick and did not want to eat. I was very tired and would sweat. I started to take the medication at night because the dizziness was too much. After a week they upped the dosage and it got a little better. Three weeks I felt relieved and by week five, I felt amazing. I feel like a normal person, my mind is clear, I'm not anxious and I stopped pulling my hair. The side effects went away except for being slightly tired."

evenparabola April 26, 2011

"Started off with 30 mg dosage. Symptoms started out blurred vision, fogged feeling, mental confusion, mild anxiety, mild depression. Also clenched my jaw and was diagnosed with TMJ. After one week bumped up to 60 mg. Side effects in first week or two.....tired and drowsy, which went away completely. Stick with it and you'll see it works wonders. You will be left with clarity and peace of mind."

R68 April 3, 2011

"Cymbalta works for me, I have symptoms of PTSD and have tried other medications for my anxiety such as: PAXIL, CELEXA, and PROZAC with no good results. So far so good with Cymbalta with minimal sexual side effects for me. Psychotherapy and Physical Fitness is recommended if you use this medication."

G2 April 1, 2011

"My Dr. prescribed me 60 MG Cymbalta 2 weeks ago to take everyday along with a 25MG Antihistamine for anxiety. Honestly, there seems to be more good than bad reviews so I'm guessing I'm a part of the small percent chance that it will have bad or little to no effect. The only thing Cymbalta does for me is make me exaggerate a smile. I still feel exactly the same and my anxiety is still there. The Antihistamine mainly takes care of the physical effects of anxiety but mentally I'm still suffering. Try it if you need to, I say it's worth a shot."

Anonymous March 27, 2011

"I have been on Cymbalta for about four months. My doctor switched me from Zoloft to Cymbalta after I continued to experience panic attacks. Fortunately, Cymbalta worked great! My panic attacks went away and my mood swings seemed to calm down. But, about a month ago I decided that I wanted to come off of Cymbalta because my husband and I are trying to get pregnant. That's when things went down hill. Instead of tapering off of the medicine (which is not what my doctor said I would have to do) I just stopped cold turkey. I began to experience severe headaches, insomnia, nausea, tingling in my hands and face, I also began to hallucinate and the worst part has been the brain zaps."

Just wait... February 6, 2011

"Been on this medicine for almost 2 years. Went to max dose of 60mg. Did NOTHING for my depression, anxiety, back pain, or Fibromyalgia. Completely useless medication. And whats worse? You got it- WITHDRAWAL. I have been to the ER 4 times now since withdrawing from 60mg down to 30mg, so I am only half way weened off as of now. Extreme vertigo, nausea, dizziness, brain zaps, edge of panic all day into night. Worst experience I have every had after trying different anti-depressants for the last 7 years. Gave this medicine the last chance. After I get off it, may take me a year or more to ween the rest of the way down."

cleangrrl777 January 13, 2011

"I have been on Cymbalta for almost 4 years now and it has been a lifesaver for me. The first few weeks I had some loose stools, but that subsided. The only problem I have with it now is keeping weight off. I have trouble loosing weight and I think it is due to the Cymbalta. I eat a well balanced diet and exercise. However, due to the numerous medicines I had tried before that failed me for anxiety and depression, I will keep taking the Cymbalta. I'd rather be fat then feel the way I felt before."

Anonymous January 10, 2011

"I've been taking Cymbalta (60mg) for around 6 months now and it seems to be really helping me with my anxiety and depression. I don't panic over little things anymore which is great and my friends and family have really seen an improvement in my mood. Decreased my appetite and emotional eating and I've lost 17 kilos (37 pounds). Negative (but bearable) side effects would be moderate fatigue, the occasional headache if I take my dose late, weird dreams every night, twitching, dizziness when I stand up. The worst thing I've noticed is memory problems, I sometimes can't remember simple words and get a little confused."

Anonymous December 27, 2010

"My issue is anxiety. I have tried Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, and finally Cymbalta. Last month, I told my doctor I was done with these medications. I was willing to live with the anxiety because the uncontrollable weight gain was making me depressed. He listened and prescribed a very low dose of Cymbalta. Thank you so MUCH. I feel so much better. I am finally able to lose weight without trying. Before, I could not convince myself to even diet for one day. It was impossible. Never an issue prior and now thankfully I have control over my eating. I was always ambivalent about everything. Now things impact me within reason. I don't obsess but I still care."

prockish November 20, 2010

"I have been on Cymbalta for about 3 months for anxiety. Started at 30mgs for the first two weeks then up to 60. My doctor also prescribed me Lorazepam for the occasional "melt down". Before Cymbalta I was anxious about everything, whether it made sense or not. Had "melt downs" at least three times a week. I have noticed a huge change, my family has as well. I feel like myself, not afraid or anxious. But I missed two doses (just two) and am now experiencing some not so fun withdrawal symptoms. I'm extremely nauseous, dizzy, brain feels muddled and I'm feeling a bit depressed/emotional. Now, I seem to be questioning this "miracle drug" and think I may need to find another way to deal with my anxiety issues."

Anonymous November 8, 2010

"Prescribed via a Psychiatrist for severe Panic attacks for 2 years. If I take dosage late or forget to take it the withdrawal symptoms kick in. Gnawing physical pain, breathlessness, disorientation to time, difficulties in word finding while speaking, severe muscle pain and stiffness, nausea, labile emotions and panic. "

dgf September 5, 2010

"I have been off and on Cymbalta for over a year now. During a really stressful time in my life I was started on Zoloft and then Klonopin. The Zoloft gave me restless legs and Klonopin made me severely depressed. After a period of nothing my Doctor suggested Cymbalta. After just a few days things got so much better. I relaxed and was able to eat and sleep normally again. The side effects were very minimal and lasted less than a week. After hearing horror stories of stopping Zoloft. I quit by counting the granules and tapering down over a couple of months. It worked fine for me. I usually try to take it around noon with lunch for the best sleep at night."

Anonymous September 2, 2010

"I have been on Cymbalta (30mg) for a three week trial for treating my anxiety, depression and fibromyalgia. Thought it sounded like a miracle pill since I'm only 21 years old, but this has caused everything from headaches to stomach pain to diarrhea. I figured I could live with that and let it run its course but things got worse. I noticed my anxiety attacks got much worse and became more frequent, had to go the ER last night because my hands, feet, tongue, ears, face went numb and swelled. Now I'm on steroids and Benadryl to bring it down. "

Anonymous August 11, 2010

"Did not work for me. Was having some side effects from Zoloft, so I went to my MD to change things around a bit. Zoloft was the only thing I had ever been on, but the tiredness and no libido was getting in the way of my children and marriage. My doctor put me on Cymbalta and at first I thought that I was really going to like it. I felt more energetic and definitely more patient with my husband and children. BUT then I started getting anxious off and on, which gradually got worse until I couldn't stand it any more. Now I'm trying a different SNRI, Pristiq. Time will tell, but Cymbalta was definitely not for me."

Anonymous August 10, 2010

"Being 32 and having cancer four times, I realized that I had a serious anxiety disorder. I did not believe in a "pill" but eventually, I realized that something had to change. I tried Welbutrin for a while, which made me feel bipolar and then I switched to Lexapro for several years. The problem with Lexapro was that I didn't feel anything good or bad. I know that you might think that's a blessing, but it's truly not. After gaining over 20 pounds, my doctor suggested that I switch to Cymbalta, which I was very nervous about, but I knew something had to change. I have been on Cymbalta for 3 months now and it is working. I think the worst part is the constipation! I also have broken out in several rashes on my face while "drinking.""

Everymoment July 21, 2010

"I have been taking this medicine for 1.5 years, and it has been a life changer. I have generalized anxiety and fibromyalgia, both of which affected my daily life. I began noticing mood changes immediately, and the pain subsided within a month or so. I am myself again, relaxed, level headed, and able to cope with everyday stress. The only side effect I have experienced was extreme night sweats. This has subsided, as most of Cymbalta's side effects do. I ask if you are questioning whether or not to stay on the Cymbalta or to wait it out, because the side effects fade and the positive effects increase."

Anonymous July 14, 2010

"I've been on Cymbalta for about 13 months but after reading many of the posts, I'm thinking I should add this little self-evaluation. I was diagnosed with autism, dyslexia and hyper-activity in the mid-1960's when research was still in its infancy. Anxiety was a continuous battle and after failing the 4th grade, all I remember was being in a fog. Cymbalta has cut through the anxiety even though the autism and dyslexia are hard-wired as part of my disorder. I was recently pushed to 60 mg with improvement from my 30 mg dose. As part of anxiety, you can feel the adrenaline flowing through you at the slightest distraction or obstacle, but Cymbalta has done miracles to cut the amount of adrenaline released. Coffee puts me to sleep."

John McSherry June 26, 2010

"I have been taking Cymbalta for about 10 months now. At first the side effects were difficult because I felt nauseous, dizzy, had brain zaps, constipation, and my dreams were crazy. Luckily I did not quit within the first 2 weeks and the side effects mostly subsided. Cymbalta has really helped with my anxiety and depression. I was on 30mg then 60mg. The first couple months were the best with no anxiety at all but slowly it started to come back. My dose has just been raised to 90mg and am also on Wellbutrin. Not perfect and I don't want to keep raising the dose but Cymbalta has really improved my daily life and relationships with others."

Anonymous June 3, 2010

"I was prescribed this medicine after failed attempts on Effexor, Lexapro, Zoloft and Pristq. I've been trying different medicines and have been having panic attacks ever since I can remember, even when I was a child in school, after my son was born it got WORSE. I am currently taking Xanax, two 0.5mgs a day and clonazepam two 1mg's a day and also a Beta Blocker for fast heart rate. I've been on the Beta Blocker for 6 years. I have been taking Xanax and clonazepam for 3 years. They do not help my anxiety 100%. I still get attacks, but not full blown panic attacks like I used to. I took my first Cymbalta last night. I'm supposed to take 20mg in the morning and another 20mg at night. No side effects yet! I'm hoping this will be the pill that works for me!"

TooMuchAnxiety May 8, 2010

"This medicine has been truly life changing. My anxiety and depression were severe, and no other medicine had shown promising results. After about 3 months on this medicine (Only 30mg) I had remarkable results."

Anonymous April 26, 2010

"I am an 18 year old male. I started Cymbalta 3 weeks ago for Generalized Anxiety. My anxiety got to a point where I couldn't even sit down and watch T.V or surf the internet without getting stressed. My stress started to control me. It was controlling simple decisions, it controlled what I did! I started to avoid everything that would possibly stress me out. It became a viscous cycle. Even things like simply playing my guitar or attending my college classes was becoming difficult to do without getting anxious. NOW after taking Cymbalta I feel like I have the opportunity to be myself again, and without worrying about getting anxious or stressed! Now I control my anxiety, instead of it controlling me! Only side effect is delayed orgasm."

Ravine March 6, 2010

"Cymbalta is the best med I have ever taken for my panic attacks and depression. It has fixed my mood and is very tolerable."

Anonymous February 16, 2010

"This medication is excellent for anxiety ,depression, bipolar type 2 disorder and also helps with any pain that the patient my be suffering from from pain from depression and/or chronic pain. However this medication will not cure your pain if it's chronic, but it will alleviate it a lot and you wont have to take so much prescription pain killers. I'm speaking from personal experience and from the experiences of others. The only problem is that this medication is very expensive especially if you don't have prescription drug insurance and there's no generic for this yet."

TINA G01 February 12, 2010

"I have been on Cymbalta for one month for relentless anxiety and depression, after trying Paxil, Wellbutrin, Prozac and many others I can not even remember the names of. There has been a loss of appetite for a few weeks but it has mostly gone away. It caused panic in the beginning but Ativan helped a little with that. After a week I felt really good(20 mg) and have been up and down ever since. It has helped a lot but so far it is not the answer. "

jmharrington42 January 25, 2010