User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 211 medications used in the treatment of Menstrual Disorders.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Menstrual Disorders

"I was taking this pill for pcos..i was fine for the 1st 24 days...after the 4 days of not taking it i then resumed and i started bleeding but the pain that has come with it is unbearable im now going onto my 5th day of intense pain..i too have taking myself off this pill and i hope the pain subsides soon."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2016

"I was taking this pill for PCOS and heavy periods, and also birth control. While it helped my period become regular (which is very, very nice), and I guess lightened my period (but not by much), the side effects are just too much. I've never had such intense breast pain in my life (I even tested for pregnancy to be sure I wasn't missing something), acne that I never had even as a teenager has been plaguing me, and my mood swings are awful. I switch from happy to angry and depressed within minutes, which isn't like me at all. I'm moving off this pill thank the Lord."

NickyKM (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2016

"I have very, very heavy periods and PCOS (high testosterone, high androgens, etc). I started out on Loestrin 1/20 and lost about 20 pounds in one month. Yay! After a while, it became less effective and my heavier periods were coming back after about a year. Come in Loryna (generic Yaz) and I'm back in heaven again. It's been around a year, and it's less effective. :( The heavy periods, dizziness, etc are coming back. I'm not sure what else to try... I'm not sure why they work at first then increasingly become less effective. Either way, I love the pill. I'm single and the almost non-existent libido is a plus! I can focus on important things than sex always on my mind. I highly recommend it. Yeah, it also causes dryness there."

B_Tanya May 2, 2016

"Before I started yaz, my periods were ridiculously heavy and the cramps that came with them were even more horrific. I've been on yaz for 8 years now, and I still love it! I have not had a cramp in 8 years and my period is REGULAR! My only downside is this: Several years ago studies started to show a slight increase in women getting gallbladder disease. I started yaz in December 2007 at the age of 21. By march (approx 3 mo. later), I had severe pain in my right side just under my breast. Turns out, I needed it (my gallbladder) removed. I am healthy and have never even been sick in my Life. I'm convinced it was due to to the yaz, as nothing else in my life was different. Easy surgery/recovery though, and no problems since! Just watch out!"

Positive and negative (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2015

"I've been taking Loryna (generic for Yaz) for about two years now. I'll preface this review by saying I'm turning 27 and I've been on some form of BC since age 20. I had surgery 12/2012 for ovarian cysts, and ever since have been struggling with weight gain, pelvic bloating, and cramping that gets worse with each passing month. When I first tried this medication, I had little to no effects. But after about 4-6 months, I gained about 30 pounds. After two years, I'm up to 40 extra pounds with no reason for it. I'm constantly bloated, hungry and moody. Not to mention my libido is nonexisstent and I never want to be touched by my fiance. I'm getting off this horrible medication and going on Sprintec this weekend."

magyar_boheme (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2015

"Began yaz on the 20th of August because I was diagnosed with endometriosis and it caused me to have a 23 day period. 3 days after my period came again for 9 days and it was extremely painful worse than ever before and very heavy. I stopped using yaz at that point and now 6 days after here I am again with a next period heavy and painful. Wish I had never used this drug. Worst experience ever. Hoping to go back to a normal cycle soon because this is uncomfortable."

annoyeduserofyaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

"I have been on Yaz for about 4 months now. I started taking it to regulate my periods, as they were very heavy and irregular. Yaz helped 100% with that issue. Now I know when my period will arrive and it only lasts about 4 days. Yaz has also cleared up my acne. Before taking it I had fairly severe acne (for a 36 year old) and since taking Yaz I don't have severe breakouts, just one or two pimples here and there. If I had to list my negative experiences since taking Yaz it would be my irritability. Small things annoy me...like my husband chewing his cereal. It's not bad enough that I go into a rage or anything, but it can be annoying. Also, the outside edges of my breasts are sore. Feels like when I was nursing! So far, a positive experience"

safford5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2015

"I've been on Yaz for three months. I started taking it because I told my doctor that I had really bad moodiness during PMS. Ha, it's gotten worse! I don't start my period till the last day of inactive pills. My cramps feel like I'm 15 again (I'm 36) and my mood swings have worsened. Barely any sex drive. I'm going back to Ortho-Tricyclen (Trinessa)."

CJ1321 July 25, 2015

"I started Yaz a few months ago and so far the results are unimpressive. Primarily I went on the pill the regulate my extremely heavy and long periods as a bonus I was using it as a contraceptive. Contraceptive wise it was a dream, but it did absolutely nothing for my periods, the pain was still there and instead of being 8 days they are now 10 or 11. I also got horrible mood swings, and I suffer from depression so I really didn't think I would get any 'lower' but on this pill I really have. My emotions are just all over the place. If you are going to go on this pill I would definitely do proper research. I have decided to stop taking it."

lpet76 June 11, 2015

"My dermatologist recommended Yaz for my acne. However I also have horrible menstrual cycles and let me tell you, you cannot go wrong with Yaz. I hardly felt any pain. My acne was basically gone also. Now all I have is some dark spots here and there"

starshanelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

"I have been on Yaz for 2 and a half years and it's been the best form of contraceptive medication for me. I have tried other contraceptive pills and have had all kinds of bad side effects, but once I started Yaz I was fine. Originally I started using it as a form of contraception, I still do but it has also helped with my severe menstrual cramps and endometriosis. I can have my period every 3 months without a problem and I haven't experienced any side effects, pregnancy scares, bloating or acne on it so overall it's been great. "

coppola22 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2014

"I am 16 years old and have been taking Yaz for four months now to lighten my period and help with PMS. It has really helped me. It took my body the first few months to get used to it (I had mild breakouts, mood swings, tender breasts and little if no change in period flow or PMS), but after about two months it has worked quite well. My periods are lighter, I rarely get cramps and when I do they are very mild and it has also made my skin softer and clearer. I don't get as moody or as emotional either. I would say the only down fall is that I crave food a lot, but that might have nothing to do with Yaz, and besides I don't think my weight has changed more than a pound. Good experience so far."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2012

"I started taking Yaz in 2007 due to extremely long periods. I was not sexually active when I first started taking Yaz. After about a year, I was switched to Ocella, but it was still basically the same thing. I Ocella for just under 5 years. I stopped taking it one month ago. I had ZERO sex drive, very poor natural lubrication, and cramps that had me doubled over every few months. I never really got pimples, so that's a plus. But I still had longer periods than I would have liked. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2012

"Not a lot of side effects compared to other birth controls I have been on. Breasts have gotten quite big and heavy, not a fan of this but the boyfriend is. I'm starting month 3 and last period came a day after stopped taking active pills, first month on it didn't start until I started active pills again so my body is adjusting well. All in all its the best pill I have taken. I much prefer the copper IUD but have a bicornuate uterus so cannot use IUD. "

Anonymous January 2, 2012

"For years I never had a regular period. Sometimes they would even be 6 months apart. With a busy lifestyle it is extremely hard to prepare for periods when it is unpredictable when they will be. With Yaz I have an idea of when I get them, usually exactly a month apart. It also helps my acne and I have not gained any weight. For anyone with irregular periods use this product it helps so much and you won't regret it."

Anonymous December 18, 2011

"I had the worst experience on Yaz! I did not gain a pound the entire time I was on the pill, but I had other horrible side effects. I would "spot" all month long a very thick, black discharge. This discharge literally ruined my sex life. I was too nervous to have sex, and on the occasion I did have sex and my boyfriend noticed the black discharge, he no longer could perform either. Also, my periods lasted on average 10 days and was very heavy all 10 days. "

Anonymous September 14, 2011

"My doctor recommended Yaz to me because of my PMS, cramps, and extremely irregular cycles. (I've been checked for lumps. There were none). For me, it is working okay as I only took 2 Midols this cycle! The side effects I have are increased sex drive, slightly bigger breasts, increased appetite, and dryness in my eyes. As a student, I find the pills a little bit too pricey, but overall I would recommend it. Except the dryness in my eyes are bad at night (contact wear-er)."

cc_cc July 10, 2011

"Before I started using Yaz I was very scared because of all the bad things people had said. After finishing my first pack of Yaz and I noticed a lot of spotting and some odd bleeding now and then. I am 16 years old and had been switching pills for a while now because none of them seemed to suit me. I use Yaz for period pains ONLY and have noticed a huge improvement in my cramps, there still is some mild cramps but not near as bad as they were before. Already my breasts have gotten bigger which I don't really mind because I was near the smallest bra size you can get. My mood is completely fine. My skin has never been Acne prone but it hasn't broke out at all. I haven't noticed any side effects. I love this pill."

JennaRub June 7, 2011

"I have been taking Yaz for 4 years, due to irregular cycle related to ovarian cysts. I am pleased that my periods are shorter and there is absolutely no cramping. It has helped alleviate hormonal migraines and my skin has never been more clear. Prior to birth control, my cycle was completely irregular, such as skipping months altogether, and it was frustrating being so unpredictable. Now, I know exactly when my period is coming. The only negatives: I did gain a little weight and it is expensive since I don't have insurance."

Anonymous March 12, 2011

"Yaz has been the greatest medicine ever. A few years ago before I went on the pill, I would get terribly sick. I went through crazy tests, MRIs, then finally my mom recommended to go to the gynecologist. She put me on Yaz and ever since then my periods are so light and only one day, I have no acne whatsoever, no mood swings, barely any cramps and I no longer get extremely sick. I love Yaz and will never take anything else."

Anonymous January 27, 2011

"I got on Yaz because my doctor says it helps with premenstrual syndrome, plus I've always had terrible heavy periods. It has cut them down significantly and helps with the premenstrual symptoms. My spouse also claims it makes me less crappy at the PMS time. No bad side effects other than a hormone headache, but I used to get that anyway. The timeframe just changed."

Uzuh August 25, 2010

"Yaz completely changed my life for good. I've suffered from PMDD for many years; to the point that I felt had no life because of mood swings, cramps, migraines, bloating and terrible anxiety. I've been taking Yaz for a month now and I just experienced my first period on it, 3 light days vs. 7 days (2 extremely heavy days). I have mild cramps still. I really love Yaz, it also has improved my sex drive!"

Anonymous July 6, 2010

"At one point during the 5 months that I was taking these pills, I came across tightness of my chest which gave me difficulty breathing and I felt as though I was suffocating. I never had acne, once I quit the pills, I suffered, and am still suffering, from severe acne. I refuse to go back on the pill, but I also don't know what to do about this acne problem now. I stopped taking the pills in January and have had bad acne since. No problems breathing, though."

Micks July 2, 2010

"As we know not all birth controls work for all people the same. This being said, for me Yaz was the worst birth control. I experienced frequent bleeding, very decreased sex drive, dryness,and severe migraines. Happy to say after 5 months I have switched off of it. The only good thing was it was very effective if used only for birth control. Wish me luck with the next one."

Anonymous June 7, 2010

"I have been taking this medication for three years and I love it. My periods became lighter after a few months. I also no longer had severe mood swings every month. It has made a huge difference in my life. The only negative side effect I noticed was mild water retention and slight weight gain 2-3 lbs."

Anonymous March 3, 2010