User Reviews for Ocella (Page 7)

Acne 7.8
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 7.0
Birth Control 6.4
Summary of Ocella reviews 6.6 150 reviews

Reviews for Ocella

Sonjarae May 14, 2010

For Birth Control: “I've been on this pill for exactly 1 month now and I wanted to share my experience. So far, the only thing that stands out is depression/moodiness. Everyone has a different body chemistry and I'm assuming that since I am already a relatively moody and anxious person (though NOT a depressed person), Ocella heightens the moodiness. It got especially bad right before my period, I was doing a lot of crying for no reason. I feel better now, after my period, and hoping it continues. No other problems to report but I'll check back in a few months with anything noteworthy.”

Anonymous March 14, 2010

For Birth Control: “I've been on Ocella for over a year and I don't mind it. It does its job. Negatives: It kills your sex drive, horrible cramps, acne around your period time; but that's with anyone. Positives: Emotions have been under control and periods only last about 4 days. Overall, I would recommend this birth control. I don't have spotting or emotional breakdowns or any of that.”

Anonymous February 7, 2010

For Birth Control: “I would say this is an okay medicine. It works wonderfully at preventing pregnancy. I've been on it for a year and the only problem I've run into is horrible mood swings and depression the entire sugar pill week. Otherwise I've had shorter periods, lighter periods but pretty bad cramps. ”

Anonymous January 27, 2010

For Menstrual Disorders: “I took this medicine for a year and just switched. I had many negative symptoms that started with severe nausea every night about an hour after taking it. For the first three months my periods got lighter for a few months and then went back to heavy I did always get my period on the exact day I was supposed to but throughout the whole year was VERY emotional and at time felt as though I had no control over myself this was my main pushing factor to switching I WANT ME BACK! I just want to say that I understand (and hope others do too) that my body acts differently to birth control than others and just want to let everyone know that not all medicines work for everyone if this does not work the way you want, try something new. BE HAPPY!”

Anonymous January 20, 2010

For Birth Control: “Thank you all for setting my mind at ease. My friend freaked when she heard I was put on this. A lot of other reviews were saying Yaz and Ocella were different and caused terrible side effects. I am switching from Ortho Tri Cyclen to this and I'm hoping all of your reviews will also be true in my case!”

Anonymous January 9, 2010

For Birth Control: “I've been on Ocella for about 8 months now, and its been decent but I am looking for a new birth control. I'm 26 years old, and have used several different pills before including Alesse and Lo-ovral. I found out I am allergic to synthetic progesterone (norgestrel and alike ) in virtually every birth control available, which is why I switched to Ocella. Ocella has done the job as far as preventing pregnancy, but I have had mood swings bad enough to start taking Welbutrin, I've gained some weight, and MY SEX DRIVE IS TERRIBLE. The mood changes and the HUGE sex drive decline is the reason why I will be changing again. I'm also worried about all of the warnings on Yaz/Ocella/ Yasmin and the high incidence of strokes associated.”

Linzxjonas January 6, 2010

For Birth Control: “I use Ocella and my only complaints are that I am moody occasionally and my periods are heavier and I get very bad cramps, which I never used to get. I actually lost six pounds in the first month I took it, but it didn't really clear up my face completely, just a little. I would recommend this birth control.”

Anonymous January 6, 2010

For Birth Control: “All my life I have had severe acne... I've probably tried any and every cream, drug, wash, etc. that is out there and nothing has ever worked. So when I got engaged two summers ago I decided to go ahead and start birth control about 6 months before the wedding to see if THAT would work because I'd heard it did. Well Ocella has DEFINITELY eliminated my acne, that part has been wonderful. But I've experienced a huge decrease in my sex drive and more bothersome than that, I have been getting migraines at least three times a week regularly since I started taking it. Also, I have learned now that it is geared more toward treating PMDD which I don't have and therefore is a higher dose of hormones which I don't need.”

Anonymous December 11, 2009

For Birth Control: “I LOVE OCELLA! I was on a generic form of Seasonale and it was HORRIBLE had the worst depression/mood swings ever and breakthrough bleeding EVERYDAY. So I switched to Ocella and love it. Acne hasn't really cleared up, and do have some weight gain but my eating habits aren't the best either so I wont blame it on that. I don't like that the price went up but I'm not going to switch because I feel so normal now and never want to experience anything like my first birth control. I definitely recommend Ocella!”

Anonymous November 11, 2009

For Birth Control: “I started out on Yasmin but had to switch to Ocella since I have no prescription coverage. Between the two I was on them for over 2 years. In that time, I gained 20 pounds. After I switched to Ocella, While I was taking it, my moods were level but the first day without the pill I felt completely out of control of my emotions and on an emotional roller-coaster to the point of having to leave work a few times, which is not me at all! Once I got my period, it was better but I didn't look forward to the next month. After a crazy month of break-through bleeding, emotional ups and downs, and feeling like I was going crazy, I asked my doctor to switch me to something else. My sister had the same symptoms within a month or two and so did friends.”

Leah77 November 6, 2009

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: “Count me as another woman upset that Ocella is no longer a generic. According to BlueCross, who has received tons of calls on this change, Ocella is now a brand name drug and is also non-formulary. Even though the drug worked great for me and was helpful in my treatment of PCOS, there's no way I can spend $160 for a three month supply, especially for something that used to be completely covered by insurance.”

livvvvvy October 29, 2009

For Birth Control: “I'm going through the same thing right now. I used to pay 10 and now they want $40 for Ocella. I'm a college student, I can't afford that every month. So I'm looking into Apri now, as my doctor recommended. Overall, I was fine with Ocella and Yasmin. It made my boobs bigger, clears my face, and I always know when I'll get my period. ”

madambutterfly09 October 27, 2009

For Menstrual Disorders: “Ocella used to be the only generic available in the Yaz/ Yasmin family... not any more! I went to refill my prescription and was shocked when the pharmacist told me it was going to cost $100, WITH insurance (it used to be $30 for three months). I've been on it about 7 months now, and I really like it-- I know other people have reported getting side effects but past the initial month of non-stop bleeding and cramps (probably more because I wasn't used to taking birth control and would forget until several hours after I was supposed to, than problems with the drug itself), I haven't had any problems. It hasn't exactly made my acne disappear, but it's better and my awful PMS depression has basically disappeared! And no babies, either.”

Anonymous October 27, 2009

For Acne: “I have been on Ocella for 2 cycles and have experienced lighter periods and no side effects except a slight headache during menstruation. My skin is slowly clearing (I had small bumps from hormones around my jawline). I am concerned it has been changed from a generic per posts. I just picked up at Walmart yesterday and paid $10 so I am confused....?”

Anonymous October 19, 2009

For Birth Control: “Ocella was considered generic but recently within the last 2 weeks was changed to be a brand name for no reason what so ever by Medispan.”

Anonymous October 19, 2009

For Birth Control: “I've been taking Ocella for 4 months, and so far everything is going great. I feel normal, my period comes on time every month, and my period is not as heavy. Occasionally, I feel nauseous around my period, but that side-effect occurs with or without birth control. I would recommend this oral contraceptive to anyone who is between late teens and early twenties.”

Anonymous October 16, 2009

For Birth Control: “I've been on Ocella going on almost a year then boom - it's no longer generic. $35 bucks a month! Or $90 if you buy 3 months (and that's with insurance), all in a matter of three months from when I last refilled my prescription. very upsetting. Only one manufacturer for it so it is now a brand. I'm not sure if this all works under your insurance and what they cover but that was the reason I was given for the increase. Now I'm nervous about switching to something else because that's just outrageous to pay, especially in this economy. $15 bucks for 3 months worth was nice, hopefully having to switch doesn't cost me elsewhere. Other than that I think this is a great birth control and would continue to use it if I could afford it.”

Anonymous October 16, 2009

For Birth Control: “I was originally on Yaz and loved it but my insurance changed and wasn't able to get the name brand so switched to the Ocella. I caused nausea for me.”

Anonymous July 30, 2009

For Menstrual Disorders: “I had so many bizarre symptoms! I had hot and cold flashes, night sweats, numbness and tingling in fingers and feet/calf that lasted weeks, difficulty concentrating and I had mild depression symptoms (easy to cry, very emotional), irritable, etc! Many premenopausal symptoms that were getting harder to live with. I was also diagnosed with an underactive thyroid that was adding to my symptoms. The first HRT (hormone replacement therapy) pill I was put on, I was allergic to one of the dyes in the third week of pills. This pill has improved my symptoms greatly and I am interested in my husband once again. THANK YOU Ocella for making me feel better!”

kimmmm1014 July 15, 2009

For Acne: “First of, let me say I am a Pharmacy Technician. I was on Yaz for about 5 months. It was okay. It wasn't strong enough to stop my periods until about 4 days into a new pack, it didn't do much for my skin, and it was $40/ month because there is no generic. I only kept taking it because it didn't make me nauseous (I am very sensitive to nausea). After $40/month was a little too much, I went to my doctor and wanted to be put on Ocella because it would only be $10/month and it has the same hormones as Yaz which didn't make me sick, but it was 0.01mg stronger, which made me a little nervous. But I tried it, didn't make me sick AT ALL, cleared my skin up, periods start and stop on time, no cramps, cheaper generic, and I lost 17 lbs! LOVE IT!”

Anonymous July 13, 2009

For Menstrual Disorders: “Ocella has worked so far for me. I have been on a couple before Ocella and this has worked the best. I hope it keeps working for me-- knock on wood.”

Anonymous May 31, 2009

For Birth Control: “Ocella is a good birth control medication. For the four months I've been taking it, my only complaint is the multiple periods of breakthrough bleeding, bloating and nausea. I'm sure weight gain would be on my complaint list but you just have to maintain a really good diet and exercise whenever you can. But it's great.”