User Reviews for Diclofenac to treat Back Pain

Also known as: Voltaren, Cataflam, Cambia, Zorvolex, Zipsor, Lofena

Diclofenac has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 83 ratings for the treatment of Back Pain. 73% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Diclofenac Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 166 medications used in the treatment of Back Pain.

Reviews for Diclofenac

Mbz · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2020

Voltaren (diclofenac): “I’ve had a herniated disc (L1-L2) that has not healed in 8 months, I’ve tried chiropractic, two epidural steroid shots and physical therapy. Now that I’m taking Voltaren daily I have much less pain and inflammation, more range of motion and get so much more out of my physical therapy sessions. I finally feel like I am getting my life back.”

Marky May 9, 2019

Voltaren (diclofenac): “My back was in pain and I was bent over and couldn't stand up straight, the pain was bad and I have taken strong pain meds for years. I started taking Voltaren 75mg. The next day I was 75% better. The following day my back pain I was 100% better, so I am very pleased that the voltaren tablets worked.”

Jane · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2021

“I am a 49 year old woman with cervical stenosis/myelopathy due to impingement from disc degeneration and bone spurs. Also severe pain from cervical radiculopathy down my right arm. During a terrible flareup six weeks ago with unbearable pain, I began taking 50mg diclofenac three times a day plus paracetamol (acetaminophen), with diazepam and codeine at night when the spasms were bad. Over time, I've achieved pain relief from the diclofenac and have been able to drop the paracetemol, diazepam and codeine. The pain isn't gone completely but I can work, sleep, etc. Anytime I forget to take it, or try stepping down to ibuprofen instead, the pain comes back viciously within hours! So I know it's doing its job. I've had minimal side effects (some constipation). You do need to take it with meals. I understand it's not intended for longterm use, but hoping it will see me through to surgery next year. I'm very grateful for it!”

Jomi5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2021

Voltaren (diclofenac): “I have arthritis in lower back. Physical therapy helped my pain, but not completely. The addition of Voltaren use has brought me tremendous additional back pain relief. My pain level is the lowest it’s been in 20 years. I am so thankful that this product exists!!!”

Seattle del July 16, 2014

Cataflam (diclofenac): “I've had chronic lower back pain for over two years (herniated disk). I can't say for sure what has relieved my pain, but ever since taking diclofenac my pain almost immediately has gone from being almost completely debilitated, to being able to function physically at the level I was at when pain started. Still have pain and not 100%, but my quality of life is back and I feel much more fluid and agile. For almost six months I could hardly get out of bed, let alone tie my shoes.”

Anonymous March 28, 2009

Voltaren (diclofenac): “I was prescribed this medicine for lower back pain from an accident. It kicks in quick and lasts all day. When I take it the pain completely goes away. It does make you sleepy, but it's worth it. I did not experience any stomach issues.”

Disappointed · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 21, 2019

Voltaren (diclofenac): “My Voltaren is destined for the trashcan. I used the product several times for moderate back pain over a one year period. Did absolutely nothing for me. It's a pricey product, not covered by my insurance, and proved ineffective. I switched back to the cheaper products on the market which are much more effective.”

IrishAido May 11, 2017

Voltaren (diclofenac): “Personally it's the best gel I have used to warm up my back muscles, making the muscles feel like I've stretched for 15 - 20 min. Don't expect miracles. You should not be expecting this gel to completely alleviate back pain. It's not supposed to do that. It's supposed to get your muscles to a place where you can do other things more easily to attain painlessness via a combined effort. For a lot of back pain, if you use the gel in conjunction with consistent stretching (twice daily) whilst consuming the correct diet and being active enough to lower your body weight, you will be in a much better place in no time - so be encouraged! The gel really helps you do the things you need to do physically to get to that place.”

coastie 1953 January 10, 2011

Voltaren (diclofenac): “I was taking Celebrex 200mg's a day to stop the pain in my lower back, This after spending over $2000 of medical bills and an Epidural on advise from a spine Dr. My racquetball buddy, a heart DR. said Voltaren is better and prescribed a 50mg dose. It is a wonder medicine if you can take it. Voltaren has given me my life back.”

GummieBear09 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2016

Voltaren (diclofenac): “I have bulging and degenerative discs from my cervical all the way down to my lumbar. I would have it rubbed on my back on days when I couldn't get out of bed or stand up. The cream along with my meds would put me to sleep and then allow me to get up pain free. It's really great after a long day.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2012

Zipsor (diclofenac): “It work great, I'm 37 and have had back pain for about 15 years now. I have tried several things over the years and nothing work for more than a week or two. I didn't realize how well Zipsor worked until I went on vacation for a week and forgot to take it. I was in pain all week long. When I got home, I start taking it again and I fill better than I have in 15 years.”

jserrent · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2019

“Wow. After struggling with injections, pain killers, muscle relaxants, physical therapy, chiropractic, and acupuncture.... 50 mg diclofenac 1 to 3 times a day for 1 week took out the stiffness and pain in my back completely. Almost equally as good as steroid injections. I have lower facet joint syndrome, spondylothesis, and some sciatica. I really wish it had a better side effect profile particularly on the arterial changes it can make increasing risk for heart attack and stroke!!! I've taken 1000mg of Naproxen for weeks with no noticeable difference, though it's safer side effect wise. I plan on using the quick release and or the time release diclofenac to calm down intense flareups without staying on it for long periods of time. It's too bad, the pain relief is better than percocet, which you have to be a criminal to get anymore !!! If only it was safer to take .....!???”

Anonymously yours · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2014

“I have degenerative disc disease and foraminal stenosis and am in chronic pain. I've tried all sorts of pain relievers from the weakest all the way up to fentanyl. The other day I was in incredible pain and someone gave me a 75mg diclofenac. I researched it and reviews were very positive, so I tried it. Amazingly, it worked great and very fast. ”

jfernald December 14, 2009

Zipsor (diclofenac): “I am a long time sufferer of sciatica. I have taken as much as 3600 mg of ibuprofen with only minor relief. My PCP gave me some samples on Tuesday. I took 1 Zipsor before flying from Albuquerque to Houston and had relief within the hour and for 3 full days afterward. I had no side effects.”

Regis · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

Cataflam (diclofenac): “Pulled a heavy object, I think did something to my lower back. It was so painful. I can't stand, walk or sleep properly. I had some Cataflam from his dental work. Tried to eat 2 initially since I read in this web that it will provide better relief in some patients. Boy, it was working just under 24 hours since I took Cataflam, by lower back pain was gone probably around 70%. After that I took 2 Cataflams a day (1 Cataflam per 12 hours). After 2 days I almost feel no pain, just still a little bit discomfort around lower back. The third day I stopped the medications since I no longer feel pain. What a wonderful medicine for my lower back pain.”

Kendo1 December 17, 2013

“This medicine really helped my back pain, but lead to a whole other problem. My stomach was damaged and I had to get a tube down my throat to check my esophagus. Now I can't take any anti-inflammatory medicines as a result. If you start getting a sore belly or heart burn. Stop taking it and ask the doctor for another type of painkiller.”

Doodle1966 December 20, 2013

Zipsor (diclofenac): “I have sciatica in leg, was in very bad pain for over a week finally doctor gave me Zipsor and Steroid and after 2 days I am feeling so much better! Hardly any pain in my leg. I thought I was never getting better! Thanks Zipsor!”

desihunk June 7, 2011

Voltaren (diclofenac): “I have severe sciatic pain and the spine doctor prescribed this for me. It worked for a while and after a week my pain started going up. I switched to OTC Ibuprofen and it worked better. So, I guess it depends on person to person.”

Bluegirlnz · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2014

Voltaren (diclofenac): “Used 75mg Voltaren twice a day as a maintenance for pain. The problem with pain sleeping was created by deterioration of fitness because of side effects from chemotherapy treatment for invasive breast cancer.”

Nakata · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2018

Zipsor (diclofenac): “I have Degenerative disc disease (DDD), spinal stenosis, sciatica, 11 yr chronic back pain, arthritis, cervical pain, post operative foot pain. 40 yo female 5'9.5" 132 lbs Started zipsor yesterday, only took three spread out thru the day each time I ate, noticed significant difference. Was even able to get out and hike for the first time in a year. Noticed some stomach discomfort and maybe slight loss of appetite but will definitely continue to take this med and hope the stomach issue goes away ”

Anonymous May 31, 2011

Zipsor (diclofenac): “Because of an auto accident a year ago I had a partial separation of my right sacroiliac joint. I've taken Advil, Celebrex, and Mobic along with steroid injections and received little or no pain relief. Zipsor is the only medication I've taken that has reduced the inflammation long enough for the joint to begin to heal thus giving my pain relief.”

Juris Ohio March 3, 2013

Zipsor (diclofenac): “My doctor prescribed it for me as follow-up from epidural injection I had two days ago. My pain is considerably better, but I am guessing/hoping from the procedure, not from the Zipsor. I am having terrible stomach problems, that are outweighing what I am guessing the pain relief to be. Going to discontinue as a result. If lower back pain level rises, I may go back to it and bear the stomach discomfort.”

ColleenE December 9, 2015

Zipsor (diclofenac): “I've had herniated discs for 5 years and the back and nerve pain can be really intense and debilitating. Started using Zipsor about 18 months ago and it makes it possible for me to live. I'm so grateful for this product, and I hope I never have to stop taking it for any reason!”

Islanders chick April 16, 2016

“I was in a car accident 3 years ago and it seems that every summer from July and September, when humidity is at its worst, I get really bad lower back pain. My doctor put me on this 2 years ago, 50mg once a day, and I honestly don't think I would survive the summer without it. One of my major problems I was getting out of bed in the morning, I couldn't even roll over the pain was so bad. So basically what I do is set my alarm 1/2 hour earlier so I can take it and let it work a little bit before I have to be up and out. I went from having to take so many days off of work to feeling so much relief. Since Physical Therapy didn't work for me, I will probably continue to take this as long as I have pain.”

SageMarie2009 March 14, 2016

“My neurologist gave me this medication and it is a miracle pill. I take it with omeprazol and Zantac ranitidine, no problems. My diabetic neuropathy and back pain from nerve inpingement is gone, I also had epidural back injections and I'm back to doing things. These two doctor's did a miracle for me.please don't be afraid to try this drug. Also, epidural nerve blocks. Greatest thing. Good luck!! Wish everyone wellness and pain relief. God Bless!!!”

Learn more about Back Pain