User Reviews for Cyclosporine

Also known as: Restasis

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cyclosporine.

Cyclosporine Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca.

Reviews for Cyclosporine to treat Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca

Restasis (cyclosporine): "You can't believe everything doctors say. My eye was twitching unbelievably for weeks at a time and they kept saying stop drinking caffeine and its stress. I said it's probably because I have dry eyes. After fighting with the insurance company I was finally able to get Restasis and whala! My twitching ceased. I am so relieved. Life is hard enough why would I have to deal with twitching eye every day. They can sometimes cause them to be a little itchy I use a little allergy drop and I'm fine"

Blacktears December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "Just started the medication, & I understand it takes up to 90 days to realize full benefits. However, I've noticed minor improvement in my eyes, without side effects. One big issue: the dose is 1 drop 2x/day. The eye dropper provided is terrible at delivering 1 drop. The stuff goops out, and when I first started, I was probably getting 3-4 drops in my eye. I found the old fashioned nipple glass eye dropper works great at administering 1 drop at a time. However, this means unsealing the plastic containers in which the med is provided. They appear to be sealed, requiring cutting the top off. And, this risks contamination of the medicine. Allergin needs to provide a suitable delivery dropper. Hence, the 1 star."

BPNick007 November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "This drug taken once a day at bedtime seems to keep my dry eyes from getting worse (more dry). The cost is ridiculous and I hope it goes generic FAST or something else is invented. Also, I have never used the single dropper method which is new. But, I read that a lot of the med users HATE this application method. SO, GO BACK TO THE OTHER VIALS, PLEASE. Now that I entered medicare due to age 65, I find I can't get their free or $30 co-pay deal due to some government rules!? What the heck???And why???? NOT FAIR."

luckyladysmom November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "The new bottle design is absolutely AWFUL. It doesn't last the full 30 days. The product pools on top of the flat surface (waste). There's not enough product to appreciate "misses". If the purpose of this design is to increase sales due to waste, then they have succeeded. At $1400+ for a 90 day supply, I'm looking for alternatives if they no longer offer the single vials which contained enough product to allow for misses and were more convenient to use on-the-go."

Buje4 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Restasis works for my sjogrens dry eye, however, the new multi dose bottle does not last 30 days! I barely got 20 days out of it. I called the company and was given a one time new bottle at no charge. I am trying it again, however, I continually have problems getting a consistent dose from the bottle. This is a horrible design and needs improvement. the 1/10 rating is for the design of the multi dose restasis bottle, not the vials or the medication itself."

saloyd (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "Restasis single dose was great. The new single dose is a colossal fail because of the bottle design. It does not dispense properly. I will never buy the single dose again. I called the drug company Allergan and they are processing a claim for reimbursement for me."

PattyMG October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "Restasis is an overpriced medication. That is not affordable by most people who need it the most. The typical medicare patient with just a part D coverage for Rx's will pay more than $250-$350 per month. And Allergen, nor Restasis offer a program for anyone with the awful coverage that is available for someone like me. They don't consider it an important enough medication to cover the outrageous costs. So how would one rate a medication they can't get. One..."

Can't pay the cost October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I just received the multi dose after years of using the vials no doubt you can get about 2-3 days use out of just one vial. I got the dropper for convenience. But the dropper is a joke and lucky to get 20 days out of one bottle. They really screwed up the bottle design. I have to squeeze hard to get a drop out and then sometimes 2 come out. I will never get the multi dose again unless they make it better and put more in them. This being said the restasis has definitely taken care of my dry eyes. I am fortunate that my insurance covers it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I have been using restasis single dose for many years and it has helped me immensely with my chronic dry eye. However, I recently tried the multidose restasis and the dispensing bottle is a complete failure. I have wasted so many drops because they do not come out of the bottle. You have to squeeze and wait according to the manufacturer. However, this method does not work. How can you hold your eye open waiting 30 seconds for the drop? I will never use the multidose again. I feel the company should reimburse customers for this very expensive product."

soozeqsh7 September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I have been using restasis single use vials for years and they have definitely helped my post lasik dry eyes--eye doc confirms corneas healthier, no dry patches. I was using the single use vials, using each one twice as everyone does, with no problems. I decided I'd try the multidose vials. I'd make the same comments as others--they are hard to dispense, dispense more than you need, and will not last a month, let alone 45 days, which makes them more than twice as expensive as the vials. We will see if Allergan keeps its promise to keep making the vials, as they will obviously increase profits with the multi use bottles."

Tucson anne (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "Restasis SINGLE-DOSE was quite effective and easy to use for my dry eye condition after having intra-ocular lens implant 6-1/2 years ago. I switched to RESTASIS MUTI-DOSE for convenience. But, because of the viscosity/thickness of the MULTI-DOSE liquid it is nearly impossible to dispense. My hand goes into a spasm trying to squeeze just 1 droplet out. Even my big strong husband has struggles with the bottle. Allergan put too much castor oil and glycerin in the MULTI-DOSE formula. I called Express Scripts pharmacist and was advised to throw out the bottle and try a new one, thinking it was faulty. New one was just as bad."

Caroljb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I have little to no effect using restasis for 9 months. At about $900 for a prescription of multidose Restasis I got about 40 days of applications, not the 55 claimed by Allergen. The dropper design is simply awful. The dropper is very difficult to squeeze to release a drop. The liquid is too viscous for a drop. It comes out in an amount that is probably equivalent to 3 applictions. The cost of this is prohibitive; my insurance is paying about $500 per prescription so I am picking up the $400 balance. I will never order the multiuse prescription again and I am doing my best to persuade my ophthalmologist to prescribe a different drug."

Unhappy consumer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I was diagnosed with extreme dry eye, in part due to past Lasix surgery, part occupational hazard, and part age related. My doctor put me on Restasis. It turns out I am allergic. I had none of the eye pain others described. But, my vision was very blurry impeding my ability to read and focus starting day 1. I increased my fluid intake, thinking dehydration. I had a "light " headache, sinus & throat issues getting progressively worse and I would suddenly lose my voice & experience dizziness. My blood pressure was elevated. My face became red & itchy.After feeling abnormalities in the blood flow around my heart, I stopped the Restasis. This all happened in 4 days. Most of the symptoms left 48 hours after stopping. Restasis is not for everyone."

Susan, NJ (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I had dry eyes since I began wearing contacts when I was 12 years old. Now at age 35 I found the solution.... and it was not Restasis. I was prescribed Restasis for my chronic dry eye in 2014 and I used it for about 1 1/2 years. It burned my eyes every single time is used it and I eventually quit because it was so painful. About one year ago in 2016 I started exercising and drinking about 1 gallon of water per day. An unintentional result from my increased water intake was NO MORE dry eyes! I no longer have to use any eye drops, something I never left home without before. I'm not saying this will work for everyone but I have tried multiple eye drops for years and got no results, I even tried supplements like fish oil with no improvement."

Jess091101 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "Restasis - not the greatest. Seems to cause light sensitivity and filminess to where it can be like trying to see thru very light smoke or fog. I have not been impressed. Theratears or something else seems to provide better relief. I think it would be worth investigating to see if Restasis is less effective on people over 60, or who have had ocular implants. The actual price of the stuff seems a real gouge. Fortunately, insurance pays the most of it."

Blacknwhite (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I had spent much of my time outdoors in the windy and dry plains of Co. My eyes stayed dry and painful. Eyedrops gave relief but symptoms would return so my doctor prescribed Restasis. It had the same results. I realized that even though I was no longer in a harsh environment my eyes had become conditioned and addicted to Eyedrops and Restasis! I learned that it is a very common addiction, including the body's craving and withdrawals from the substance. Restasis is nothing but an unnecessary addictive drug and the drug co. knows it. It should only be used while you have inflammation just like any other anti-inflammatory med. Overuse of anti-inflammatories is like overuse of anti-biotics. We know what happens when we do that. Effectiveness decreases"

adamw2635 January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I have only been using this drug for 4 days. I am not having any problems with using it, However, I am a bit concerned with loss of appetite and brain fog. I can stand to lose some wieght but since I am a nursing student, I cannot deal with feeling out of it. I wonder if these side effects are temporary."

Bellaboo1972 January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "Yes, it burns. Get over it. This is the only medication that's an actual SOLUTION, and not just a bandaid on the problem like lubricants. You will suffer for a month, get used to it because it's worth it. Restasis works, if you'd rather complain and not find a solution than go through a month uncomfortable I am speechless. You can not use inflammatory eye drops, it negates restasis. Be prepared for no makeup, and to look bloodshot for a bit. After a cpl months I'm loving the effect Restasis has had on my eyes. Pro-tip: Stick vials in the fridge, when you put a couple drops in each eye place the topper back on. ONE vial will last 3-4 days, that's putting 2 drops in each eye 2x a day. Recommended is 2 vials a day, bullshit."

Faithnh November 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I am a senior citizen who has been on Restasis for 5 yrs. It is so expensive that using it puts me in the medicare donut hole. The drug company, Allergan, is unwilling to give me assistance in the form of samples and my dr's office gave me two samples one time during the 5 yr. period and after that will not help. I was refused two samples to get me through until Jan 1 when my new insurance year begins. It costs $481.35 for a monthly supply so even though my copay is only $30, I am in the donut hole by August at the latest. Allergan has a racket going on here at the expense of the patient. It's not affordable even though it's effective. Totally unfair, corrupt company."

Bobbbi k October 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first and second evening after beginning use of Restasis I experienced severe bloating. By the third day I felt a wheezing sensation in my throat and diarrhea. By the fourth day I was doubled over with severe stomach pains, diarrhea and vomiting. Symptoms continued for six days when my doctor ordered blood work, urinalysis, and stool sampling. Results showed a high white blood cell count and a high eosinophilia count. A few days later I was admitted to the hospital for severe dehydration due to continued vomiting and diarrhea. A colonoscopy and endoscopy were performed along with a biopsy of stomach wall to rule out a parasite infection. Diagnosis concluded a suffered a severe allergic reaction to Restasis."

Big K October 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "I was prescribed Restasis by my ophthalmologist due to severe dry eye caused by Accutune. I was given a card that gave me a discount since I did not have private health insurance and used each vile over 2-3 days so that it became effectively very cheap for me to use. I had side effects at first, burning eyes and blurred vision. I was told it takes a minimum of 3 months to see any benefits so I kept using it. It worked almost too well, as my eyes started producing tears so much that my eyes would water all the time. I stopped using the product after 1 year, and my eyes have improved so much I no longer need to use it, although I still use regular over the counter eye drops (Systane Balance) once or twice a day as needed"

Empeaches October 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking Restasis for dry eyes for two years with no other symptoms than burning until recently. My vision has become blurred, had my glass prescription made stronger, difficulty reading, redness of eyes and terrible itching. Started to use Refresh Plus and symptoms are lessening. Will discuss problem with my opthamologist."

Ellie P. September 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "My eye doctor tried me on Restasis for dry eyes the first time being about a year ago. I didn't experience stinging as some have and thought it was going to do the job. However, about a week into the treatment my eyes felt swollen. I lifted my upper lids to see if anything looked wrong and my eyeball looked like it had hemorrhaged. I took a picture so I could show my doctor and stopped the treatment. About 6 months later we decided to try it again thinking maybe another medication I was using could have caused the Restasis to react that way. But once again it did the same thing."

pem71351 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restasis (cyclosporine): "Ten years ago, I went through 7mo. of chemo for breast Cancer. In doing so, my tear ducts were affected as well as my eyes. Both eyes felt as though I had stared at someone welding, only my eyes just got worse. I used eye drops and gels for a couple months. And then my doctor prescribed Restasis. During the day, I used the drops and then both eyes would burn for a bit and itch. At night, I used the OTC gel. This gel causes blurred vision, has a cooling effect and puts the fire out. The Restasis was always kept in a cooler when away from home and in the fridge at home. This seemed to take the burn and itch out about half."

HotMammaMia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using Restasis as prescribed by my Opthamologist for 18 months. I have experienced no relief. I have the same symptoms after 18 months of use."

LynJO (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 26, 2016