User Reviews for Klonopin

Learn more about Klonopin.

Klonopin Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Klonopin to treat Anxiety

"I am a middle aged man, who has had anxiety my whole life. In addition, I have a very stressful job. About three years ago, my wife convinced me to see a doctor. I had never taken any sort of anti-anxiety medication previously. The doctor prescribed Klonopin, but was very adamant about taking it only as needed. The prescription says 1mg, twice a day. But I only take, on average, two pills a week, when I'm really stressed. As many people here have said, it started out great, then faded with time. Although it definitely helps; it's not pleasant. It's almost as if it makes me so sleepy, I'm too tired to be stressed. Two years ago, I would have given it a 9. I still recommend it. Other than sleepiness, I have no other adverse effects."

bulldog1415 July 10, 2016

"I have 0 panic attacks when I'm on this medication"

12333 July 7, 2016

"I am a 16 year old girl who has suffered with extreme anxiety and severe depression since I was 9. The reason why I was so depressed was mainly because I was mildly depressed so they put me on cymbalta and I suffered from the "black box warning" in which adolescents and teens can experience suicidal thoughts and actions. that really messed me up. I'd have panic attacks where I was convinced I wanted to, and I'd puke and shake and stuff. it still happens but when it does my parents give me 0.25mg (I'm very very lightweight so they don't want a lot in my system) and it seems I work alright. I'd like to take it everyday but my parents are so hesitant to give it to me."

Macyyyy June 29, 2016

"This is the drug that was a total game changer for me. I was on effexor and abilify because of severe depression and suicidal ideation (at only 19 :(). While the abilify and effexor helped with the depression, I was extremely anxious, jumpy, panicky, and unable to sleep at all. Klonopin changed all that. I am now able to do anything with no anxiety, no intrusive thoughts, and am visibly much less tense and more relaxed than I have ever been. I can go to work, take public transport, and interact with customers with absolutely NO anxiety anymore. If you sound like me, I highly suggest at least giving this medication a try. It saved my life."

rmahon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2016

"Yes, this medication works. It works very well for chronic anxiety disorder and sudden onsets of severe panic attacks. Knowing what I know now, I wish with all my being it had never ever been prescribed to me, and without the absurd nonchalance dozens of practitioners have portrayed. I'm 32 and have been prescribed clonazopam for 14 years. Ive been in situations where my health insurance is in transition and I must go off the medication abruptly-- this is when I realized how deep I was. Weeks upon weeks of non stop physical, emotional, and psychological withdrawal effects that are like hell. Words cannot accurately describe just how awful it is. This, again, has been my experience during withdrawal as a long term clonazopam patient. All skin, especially the face, becomes numb. Vision gets fuzzy and difficult to see clearly. Panic attacks become extremely exasperated, frequent and debilitating. Severe irritability. Worst of all: a terrifying disconnection between your mind and body; as if you're an onlooker watching and feeling this horrible thing happen to you, but not actually feeling connected to any of it-- that one is tough to explain. All of this... It can lasts months, maybe more. That's right. Not just some one week hump to overcome. After finding how awful the withdrawal is I've been attempting to ween very very slowly down from 3 2mg doses per day to eventually zero, hopefully. After six months of gradually decreases in dose I'm now at 2- 1mg doses per day and I'm not sure how or if I can go much less than that. No doctors I've had have been of any help. The ween down was my idea and the rate of it was also my idea based on experience. It sure would be nice to meet a doctor that truly had knowledge of this withdrawal syndrome and took it a bit more seriously. I am confident that the medication is no longer treating my anxiety disorder, but simply preventing withdrawal from the meds themselves. And there don't seem to be any good alternatives. It's a long road ahead, please think it over and over with someone knowledgeable before being so quick to embrace this miracle drug. The truth is that most of us actually need very real psychotherapy, not chemicals that run our lives. Once again, all my point of view from my personal experience. It feels very good to share this."

Anne Regret (taken for 10 years or more) June 11, 2016

"Taken( 2) 1mg, 3 times a day and (3)1 mg at bed time. No issues still helping after two plus years."

John T. June 7, 2016

"last 15 tears of taking Klonopin have been a total improvement of my quality of life. and an improvement in anxiety to the point where I am like the friendliest guy in town so to speak. where as before taking Klonopin I had severe social phobia . as a result the stress was definetly related to making me get cancer at 40 years of age. it works. buspar and all the other more popular anti anxiety meds did not work and I don't want to stop taking Klonopin. William P."

fireplug (taken for 10 years or more) June 4, 2016

"21 y/o female, work in the medical field, severe anxiety for about 5 years now, always been hesitant about taking meds for fear of medication dependency. In the past year, my anxiety has gotten to the point where I am isolated & developing depression. I finally broke down and was prescribed Klonopin 0.5mg daily as needed. It takes the edge off and gives me a genuine good feeling while allowing me to keep a CLEAR head and keep my patients safe. I was marijuana dependent as a teen b/c it improved my moods the same way, so I see the potential for dependency here. I am seeing a therapist and intend on using this until I learn other ways to cope. It does help you to think positively so you can begin your recovery. Great short term drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

"Takes time to come up, this is a problem when you have a panic attack, suicidal thoughts and anxiety go away within an hour but they go away, it's like a emergency button, it has saved my life from suicide. Dependence builds within months."

Rassnik (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

"Works perfectly for me keeps me calm."

HisWorld (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2016

"You don't need it. It helped at first. After about a year of regular use, it stopped helping, and instead made me very angry. By then, I was taking around 5mg/day, and had a long taper ahead of me to ease the hellish physical dependency. You don't want the taper. You don't want to numb your feelings with this horrible tranquilizer. You are worth more and you have more in you than you want to believe when you sign up for this cop-out nightmare."

davefromnorthjersey (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

"I've had panic attacks since I can remember. I recall my family DR.telling my mother that I would eventually need something for my nerves. I developed an irregular heartbeat around the age of 20. Of course, I am the last person who needed that symptom. I would go into a full blown panic attack and end up in the ER. My family Dr talked me into taking Xanax. I took .5 3 times a day like clockwork. Along with Tenormin for my afib.for 10 years . I then switched to Klonopin .5 3× daily. It was miracle. No side effects. After taking the same dose for 15 years, my new Dr dropped dropped it to twice daily. OK for about 6 months. I've been in the ER 5 times in the last 12 months. I need some good advice."

B.Steve (taken for 10 years or more) April 18, 2016

"I have been orally using Diazepam, (VALIUM) 10 mg. tabs- Qty: 90 monthly. 1 tab 3x a day q 8"

VICO DAN WATSON (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2016

"The doctor prescribe this for my anxiety not realizing what I was taking after taking for a year I decided to look up the clonazepam and found out what I was really taken and how hard it is to get off of it has been pure hell how can something be so good but so bad I tell everyone stay clear of this medication and go alternative because the withdrawals are evil it has been a total nightmare trying to get off of this pill and I am on a low dose .05 this pill was supposed to help my life not ruin it. The headaches are unbearable the nauseous is miserable and the dizziness is in sane everyone please stay clear of this medicine because when you try to get off of it is pure hell nightmare"

Pure Stupid (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2016

"I took my first pill last night, and feel better already! I had never before suffered from anxiety, until I started a new and very stress-filled job. I held my own at first, but the past few months really took it's toll on my physical health. Yesterday, I truly believed I was having either a heart attack, or panic attack...I've never had a panic attack, never! Rushed to my doctor who looked at me and said- I've never seen you look like this before. After explaining how my job was affecting my life, and talking about different stress/anxiety relievers, and making time for me, he wrote the prescription. I was hesitant to take, but slept like a baby for the first time in months! I will check back as I continue with the medication."

Ihavenonickname April 8, 2016

"Been taking benzodiazepines for near 10 years now. Started with 1mg of Lorazepam once daily, but it stopped working after about 2 years. I got prescribed Clonazepam 1mg twice daily.Worked like a charm for 5 years, then stopped having any effect. Still, Clonazepam is amazing compared to Lorazepam. This is an amazing medication. I was prescribed an up-dose (2mg three times daily, but I usually only took one pill a day or two, because 2mg is very strong). I was also prescribed Xanax to take along with Clonazepam due to having a panic disorder as well as generalized anxiety, but after about a year I decided that the Xanax was pretty useless (and tasted like wet chalk) so asked my psychiatrist to stop prescribing it. Just clonazepam. It's great."

Renee33 (taken for 10 years or more) March 27, 2016

"This "medicine" ruined my life. I took it just as the doctor prescribed Clonazepam.5mg every night before bed. He said I would probably need them for the rest of my life. He failed to tell me these are very powerful TRANQUILIZERS (all benzo are). We are only supposed to take these for no more than 2 weeks!! It worked well for many years until one day it quit working. Tolerance Withdrawal, Sick 24/7, med no longer works, sheer panic. Suffering all since that day and it's been one year off now.These meds also cause depression over the years. I had a great life until this med caused me to lose everything!!! Nightmare!!! Please, don't walk, run from this poison!!"

Hardwork56 (taken for 10 years or more) March 8, 2016

"This drug is great. Sure you can go med free, which I've done, to prove to yourself that anxiety can't hurt you and there is nothing to fear (blah blah blah) - BUT my life truly was misery with this approach. What's the point, I told myself, of proving I can tough it out. Left unchecked anxiety can spin you into fearing all kinds of silly stuff - doctor/dentist visits, flying, being stuck in traffic, shopping .... Klonopin kills the deep down anxiety. Oh - and if all you have is anxiety (no depression) - stay far far away from the antidepressants......some friendly advice."

JPinMD (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2016

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking this drug 10 years ago because I was always stressed and was waking up at 3am. Started on 0.5mg at bedtime, combined with Trazadone, and it would knock me out within 15 minutes-I almost had to rush to the bed sometimes. It was prescribed to take another dose in the morning but I only did this once, as it made me very sleeping driving to work. I later discovered the Trazadone wasn't doing anything and now just take the Klonopin at 0.75mg at bedtime and it gradually puts me to sleep and keeps me there. If I wake in the middle of the night and would normally stress about stuff, I am able to fall back to sleep till morning. Helps with work anxiety during the day, too. It has been a miracle drug for me!"

MarcofromTropoja (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2016

"I love Klonopin. When I was going through an extremely hard custody case with my ex husband, my doctor prescribed the Klonopin. She scheduled it up to 3 times a day. I used it too. It helped me face my fears and stand up for myself for once. Once that was over she scheduled it on 1.0mg as needed up to.3 time's a day. I still have the script. I do use the Klonopin only when I'm in a situation that I need help relaxing. I know I need it at those times. When I take it, I would feel great. If I didn't need it but thought I did, all it would do is make me tired. It's been 3 years of PRN Klonopin & I know when I need it and when I don't. For those who feel this could be abused, my response is if the person really needs it, Misuse wouldn't happen"

Jo...Jo (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2016

"The absolute best benzodiazepine. I've had Anxiety and Night terrors ever since I can remember. As a kid, I was always scared to sleep alone, and in the dark. My mom had to always sit with my til I fell asleep. This never went away. I'm 28 years old now. My doctor first RX'D me Xanax 2mg 2x daily, it really helped, but it stopped working so quickly! Then I got put on Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, now that's exactly what my body and mind needed. I'm perfectly anxiety free, and can sleep with no hesitation. Klonopin is the best. Thanks Klonopin!"

Klonazepam2mg (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2016

"Scary drug. Took the lowest dose for anxiety, came to three hours later. Totally blacked out. Still don't remember a thing that went on till this day. Good thing I was at home when I took it."

Manda284 February 10, 2016

"I was put on klonopin at age 17. I took it as prescribed for 20 years, going from 0. 5mgs to 3-4mgs a day. While it worked great for anxiety and insomnia, I wish I had never taken this medication. Last year I was detoxed off of it. When I tapered off I didn't sleep at all for 11 days. After that I had extreme anxiety and agitation. I couldn't sit still for months, I had to take a non addictive medication to be able to sleep at all. I was unable to eat well for months. Doctors don't think to tell you that this medication makes you physically dependant. You cannot stop abruptly or you risk seizures. It is made for short term use, about 2 weeks. I wish I had never taken this medication. I will never take another benzodiazapine again."

Firechild877 (taken for 10 years or more) February 8, 2016

"I noted marked decrease in intellectual ability and memory. I need to go off this med for Neoropych testing and 48 hour EEG, although I have high stressors in my life so I need to take it. When I wean down I get sinus tachycardia. Hr of 122 at rest. Taking Klonapin makes HR decrease to 80's."

MauiJan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2016

"This drug works well "short term". As all of the literature you have read about it says. However, "Short Term" is ambiguous. For some people "Short Term" might mean it retains it's efficacy for 2 years without problem as it did for me. If it seems you have been on this for years and it's still working, don't fool yourself. 2 Important things to note. 1. Tolerance withdrawal - Doctors will never tell you about this, some don't even acknowledge that it exists. This means that when your body has developed tolerance to this medicine, even though you keep taking your steady dose, you will start to experience god awful withdrawal symptoms. Believe it. 2. Taking over 1.5-2mg per day does not provide any benefit."

ocdeed February 1, 2016