User Reviews for Celexa (Page 8)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Celexa.

Anxiety and Stress
7.6

Postpartum Depression
7.3

Depression
7.3

Summary of Celexa reviews 7.4 661 reviews

Reviews for Celexa

For Anxiety and Stress "Suicidal thoughts"

wellbirin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have tried Zoloft, Effexor, Prozac and Wellbutrin. (Effexor is awful btw-- don't EVER get on it. And Wellbutrin is like taking Adderall.) Celexa is wonderful. I had symptoms of body dysmorphia. It was really controlling me every day. I wasn't depressed, and haven't been for over ten years, but I have always had the anxiety... BAD. Anyway, i had every symptom of body dysmorphia and it was getting worse every day, for a few years. And the constant anxiety including social anxiety ( I wouldn't go to the mall or the grocery store on the weekends bc of crowds) and all of it affected my every day life. Celexa helped calm EVERYTHING. I no longer have the body dysmorphia symptoms, and the social anxiety, paranoia, obsessive thoughts have subsided"

Kyrae October 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I think it doesn't work that well. Also it didn't help my temper & I still have OCD issues ."

stormy699 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on Celexa for about two months now and the first two days I had insomnia really bad, but then it got better as time went on. My depression is somewhat balanced, but I do have continued anxiety and stress. I went to my Doctor's today and had my weight checked and in less than a month I have gained 12 lbs; I was shocked! I was told it could be from the Celexa, so now I'm slowly weaning myself off of that as I try my new medication; Wellbutrin. All in all, Celexa is good, and if it weren't for the weight gain I would have stayed on it. Everybody's body is different and it just wasn't the right medication for me."

ropeitup99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I started Celexa in college after suffering for more than a year of horrible anxiety. I couldn't sleep, was skipping classes, and totally on edge all of the time. I finally broke down and took the first appointment I could at the clinic on campus. I filled out a bunch of forms and they came back telling me they were putting me on an antidepressant, which I hated the idea of, but hated the idea of feeling like that any longer. The first 2 weeks were horrible. Terrible migraines and increased anxiety, which they gave me xanax for. I stayed on the medication for 3 years with no bad side effects and only a couple dosage raises. I quit because I felt better and honestly wanted to drop the weight again. It really gave me my life back."

HollyJolly89 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have suffered from depression my entire life it seems like. I've been on many, MANY anti-depressants. But this one works like a charm. The only bad thing about it is - if you go cold turkey for a few days because you run out, or forget to take it you can tell a definite difference. It makes you extremely sick. Never go cold turkey but I recommend this medication to any and everyone with depression who have tried many medications."

Shelbay (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have only been taking Celexa 20mg for about a week. My only complaint is that it makes me EXTREMELY drowsy like a Zombie and slight stomach cramps so I started taking it at night and I am considering cutting the tablet in half. However, I have had depression for most of my adult life and like others I was against medication but I could not take it any longer. I do feel a slight improvement I am not numb anymore but I think I need to give it more time to get the full effect."

Rose818 September 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication absolutely changed my life for the better.. Stress has always been something that has effected me all of my life, but one day it got the best of me and my anxiety attacks/stress led to depression. Being from a fortunate family, I had never gone through many hardships, so when I had a big struggle in my life I had no idea how to cope. I would sleep hours and strangely for the first time in my life, I did not want to interact with anyone and didn't want to even be active (I grew up playing all sports). Thankfully, I went to my family doctor and got the help I needed. After only 2 weeks on the medication, my overall mood and demeanor has improved dramatically and my anxiety/stress level is immensely lowered. :)"

typeA Nurse (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have tried this and I have been on it for four days, I can say dizziness fuzziness trying to focus is a little hard, my depth perception is off, I don't know what to do, I am at a lost"

Ztstx c tcuboj (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I just started this medication about 5 days ago so far I haven't had any side effects and am going to continue taking as directed I'm on 20mg a day. I have been having severe anxiety due to the loss of a loved one (my brother ) hopefully this medication will work im keeping my fingers crossed will give another comment maybe 2 months into it"

hachet August 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I used this three years ago after I was Prego. I had vey bad depression, ocd, anxiety. Not sure which condition but felt all symptoms. Took 20 mg celexa, vitamin D and metformin for PCOS. As a miracle all symptoms went away. Had a few days when they would return but not constant. Just now and then. Did not have to be on meds continous. Was manageable with vitamin d and light, celexa when occurring. I am Prego with second child had some stress with baby and boom all symptoms returned. Exactly like I previously felt. Took 10 mg while Prego did not do anything. Am due to deliver anytime now. Am going to up dose to 40 after Prego. To knock out the symptoms. Am scared it won't work. But keep reminding myself that my body desponded well before."

TrustGod August 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Worked for depression but diarrhea was intolerable."

arralite August 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Started having panic attacks last June when I had a medical issue with my eye. My doctor prescribed me celexa. I held onto the prescription for over 6 months as I was terrified of relying on a pill to help me and was scared of side effects. Finally I couldn't take the anxiety anymore and started on 10mg. First few weeks I COULD NOT SLEEP and my anxiety was worse. Had to take sleeping pills. But eventually it got better and now I feel great! It's been 6 months and I've never increased my dosage. I still get anxious once in a while but that is fine with me because I don't want to "not feel anything" like some pills do to you! I know it's not for everyone but I am glad I finally tried it!!"

Anonymous August 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I was prescribed Celexa for anxiety. I had previously tried Prozac, which made things even worse. Celexa (10mg) was great. I felt better, just a bit more evened out, and less anxious. It's definitely not a xanax but it helped me to feel more like myself. However, it also made me gain about 15 pounds in only 3 months. During this time I was exercising, eating healthfully, and still gaining. I eventually weaned myself off it. Weaning myself off was *terrible*. Nausea, inability to concentrate, etc."

bea000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Sometimes I think that someone employed by Celexa inc create the responses I read on this site. Most of the positive experiences do not seem likely. Celexa has been a nightmare for me. It makes me so angry. I'm from the big easy and would like to consider myself laidback. I have a very strong belief the reason this medication is prescribed so frequently is so the docs or the powers that be can receive the kick back from by pharmacy. I truly believe that. I'm going on month 4 and currently take 40mgs. I cannot report any positive effects. I can attest to a loss in libido, rashes, depression, weight gain, dry mouth, loss of appetite, aches and I can go on. And the only reason I take it is to obtain the medication that I do get relief from."

Mobraver (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been taking 10mg of Celexa a day for almost 3 weeks now. The first week i experienced minor side effects, excessive yawning, irregular heartbeat, anxiety and so on. I came around to the medication about 5 days into it and was feeling good, i wasn't anxious about socialising and i wasn't having as many negative thoughts (this lasted a week). But now I'm feeling as though I'm returning to my old self. This might be to early to call as I've only taken 18 days worth of tablets but I'm beginning to think my body has built a tolerance for it already. I'm due an appointment with the doc next week so i will enquire about possibly upping the dosage and will review again once i have. I've never taken antidepressants so trial and error i suppose!"

chambers123 August 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Coming up to the 1 year mark, been on 20mg per day until this week when I've increased to 30mg. Until last few weeks my anxiety has been manageable but now I feel it returning due to some personal issues at home. Compared to how I was this time last year just before I started I am ten times better, but am by no means cured. I've increased my dosage with doctors guidance in order to continue managing my anxiety and depression.I find this medication great in most ways but the side effects are not good. I had severe nausea for the first 3 weeks, night tremors, hot sweats, no appetite. Within 4 weeks these had all gone completely but I've found that I suffer with terrible short term memory, increased hair loss and alcohol affects me much worse."

RatcliffesGirl August 11, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have had absolutely no side effects while on this medication. My anxiety is obviously not "cured" but the symptoms are much more manageable and they occur less frequently . My life has SIGNIFICANTLY improved since beginning Celexa. Not only do I feel less anxious most of the time, but my social skills have improved. I'm not afraid to talk to people as much anymore. I know some people believe that antidepressants change who you are, but that is not true. If they do, that is not the drug for you. The right antidepressant is suppose to allow you to be who you are without (as much) anxiety. **IMPORTANT: You do have to be on the look out for drug interactions. There are many antibiotics you shouldn't take while taking Celexa including Cipro.**"

Liv from CA (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I took Celexa yrs ago for mild depression & it helped. Then stopped. Now I'm taking 20 mg for major depression & it's not doing much. The side effect is an upset stomach. I still just want to stay in bed. I also take 1 mg of Klonopin at 11:00 pm so I can sleep through the nite. I am thinking of asking my pdoc for Wellbutrin or Effexor. I'm not in a good place."

wannabbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I personally think celexa worked very well for me. I got on it due to a lot of anxiety in college and I started to have panic attacks but then realized it helped with some depression as well. I was very foggy for the first 2 weeks and didn't feel like myself but stuck it out and it worked great for 3 months! I just got bumped up to 20mg because it seems to be wearing off but so far so great! stick with it."

Anonymous August 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've taken this medication for about 3:years now. Back when I was diagnosed with major depression one of the first medications I tried was celexa. It helped me out of a very bad place. Like every medication it has its side effects, but compared to other medications they are minimal. This medication, along with exercise and a healthy diet, helped turn my life around. There are no side effects worth mentioning besides mind drowsiness and a lack of energy on higher doses. If you feel stuck I would highly recommend celexa your first choice for meds"

MB1812 August 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking Celexa about 1 1/2 weeks ago, started at 10 mg and upped to 20 three days ago. I had been on Zoloft prior for about 5 years but it stopped working. Was off of it for about 2 months before starting Celexa. Experiencing an increase of anxiety, tiredness and an overall sense of exhaustion. Does it get better, will these side effects go away eventually? My doctor said the increased anxiety is not caused by the meds. Yes I was anxious and needed something but my anxiety is much higher since taking the meds so I don't necessarily believe the doctor 100%. I want to stop taking it but I also want to feel "normal" and no these meds can be very helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

ZoeyP August 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I suffer from PTSD and severe chronic depression. I have been on multiple medications, taking 10-12 pills a day. My doctor recommending celexa for depression as well as my anxiety, and guess what. I am now on 4 pills a day celexa for depression, klonopin for my anxiety attacks, ambien to help me sleep, and prazosin to keep my nightmares at bay. Celexa works for me amazingly, it has calmed me down some and I used to just burst out in tears at the simplest things because they reminded me of my past. Not anymore. Although I have it a 9 and not a 10 because the first couple weeks are rough. I was very VERY lethargic and sleepy and I was still having mood swings which got a little worse. I stuck with it and it changed me."

Crazy lady ;) (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I battled with severe panic attacks and generalized anxiety. It got so bad that I was unable to leave the house. The panic attacks would happen everywhere and would feel dizzy, sweat, have palpitations, and diarrhea. I would eventually run out of the store crying. I turned to my doctor who recommended 20mg of Celexa. After about 5 weeks of pretty harsh side effects such as extreme tiredness, restlessness, and agitation, the panic attacks stopped. Thanks to Celexa, I got my life back and was able to go out again. It was a lifesaver. I've been on it for about two years now, and have started to successfully wean off. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it took a while to kick in and the side effects were pretty severe."

MisoCat July 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Celexa 10 mg for social anxiety, 2 wk of side effects. IT WORKS. I can feel my emotions. (I would walk on glass to get another prescription). Tried Prozac and Zoloft with out success, they made me feel wired. However, everyone body are different. (Hang in there, it's worth the wait.)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2015