User Reviews for Celexa (Page 10)

Anxiety and Stress

8.2

36 reviews
Summary of Celexa reviews 7.5 714 reviews

Reviews for Celexa

For Depression "I had severe depression when we moved from a house I loved in the country to a smaller house I hated by the river in a little suburb that I'd always detested. Celexa works. Most definitely but it works too well. After being on it for 11 years, I became emotionless. I had no feelings either way. It also helped me to put on 50 pounds. At 61, I decided to stop it. I weaned my self off by cutting the pills in half, then in quarters, then none. The side effects are the worst of any medication I've ever experienced....dizziness, SEVERE depression, SEVERE happiness, experiences in my head that I can only describe as "zits" that were instantaneous moments of dizziness or a feeling of a bug "zipping" by your head, fatigue, jitters."

OldOhioian (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

For Depression "I have been on this for a week. Day 1. Blurred vision and feeling like I'm in the matrix zoned out after 2 hours and severe nausea. I wanted to quit. But it calmed me and I felt unbothered by things what would normally make me cry. I take it at night and wake up with SEVERE anxiety as I had before taking it but I can feel my body trying to compress it. I pray and hope it gives me the happy energetic feeling I need. Right now it's keeping me calm but I still can't get out of the bed"

NotsohappyGoLucky (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

For Depression "After a tragic death in my family my depression got worse. I did not realize I had depression until this tragedy occurred. I would cry every day to exhaustion -- until I had nothing left -- just a lifeless emptiness. My doctor put me on citalopram and I am on 30mg's/day. I feel so much better!! -- no real highs and no real lows. I have tried to go medication free but it is not meant to be. I will have to be on this for life and I am thankful for this drug."

Anonymous June 5, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking Celexa for anxiety and bad stress. My BP was rising very high and couldn't sleep much. I'm now only on my 7 dose of 10 mg and I feel tired but I'm giving this new med time to work. It took me 6 months to safely get off of xanax my doc put me on after a injury in which caused much stress. My BP is now back to normal and I feel good a little tired but unlike other reviews I've read I don't eat as much and now am losing wt. But yes I also "hopefully just for now" have lost some interest in sex and I'm a male and its harder to climax. Think it will all get better but so far this is a good med for me."

Chrisman June 2, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "For years I thought medications could never help me to deal and solve my problems in life, which they can't. That being said my depression, which I never thought I had, was apparently there. My anxiety levels were high and I seemed to be acting out of my own way of thinking. Relationships were getting strained and friends and family seemed to be exiting my life. Once I talked with my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg first and then 20mg after the first week things changed. Granted it took about 3 weeks before I really started to feel such drastic changes in my thinking and my feelings. I started to feel like my old self again, happy, content, laughing with people and enjoying the person who I know is me!!"

The Sizzla (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

For Depression "Menopausal onset Depression, UGH. I would have cried my life away without Celexa. No side effects for me except a normal person again...."

jack mcmick May 31, 2015

For Depression "I have depression and high anxiety, I have had these most of my life but refused treatment. Now having a son of my own I have realized I need to be better for him. I have only been on it a week and have noticed a lot of improvements! I no longer feel upset about my life,I can talk to my child like he should be talked to and not because im stressed and anxious all the time. I have had a few side affects so far. Weird dreams, headaches, muscle spasms, dry mouth, and tiredness. but to feel "normal" is worth it. I final feel like im going to be ok."

LIZZIE IZZY May 27, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I went to the doctor because I was too terrified to do any meaningful living, including walking out of my door. I had experienced panic attacks and was under great social stress. The doc started me out on 20 mg/day and the first ten days was horrible in that I could "feel" something at work and - because I was afraid of everything, I was even afraid of this medical rescue -- and that was hard for me. My husband did not approve, he felt I should overcome my problems on my own. I persisted, and within a month I felt a blessed relief. I was still having middle of the night anxiety-rushes but when we increased the dose to 30 mg/day they were gone, too. Nearly a year later, I am grateful every day I have this medication."

Munga -- STICK IT OUT and LIFE WILL GET BETTER May 7, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I was put on celexa for anixety and depression. I took it for the first time last night then woke up at 10am with the worst nausa of my life. i thought i was goingto vomit. I also couldnt stop shaking but i wasnt cold. My whole body also felt like it was on fire and burning. the worst was my feet, hands and ears. My feet was so bad i couldnt feel them. so not taking this med anymore."

lachele (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication is truly a double edge sword. This is only my personal experience with this drug. I liked it but won't be recommending it due to sexual and other side effects. The positive: It works like a dream...as far as mood it will make you extremely mellow and easy going. The negative: It will make you shake-tremors. You will still have somewhat of a sex drive but impossible to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain, stomach cramps, restless and trouble sleeping."

crystal_clear007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Celexa helped me immensely with my social anxiety. It completely changed my personality for the better. I finally felt confident and stopped having frequent anxiety and panic attacks. The only downside to taking this drug was that it was a bit too good at reducing my anxiety. I gained a total of 80 pounds in the first two years of taking it. I used to be obsessed with my weight, weighing myself multiple times a day and having anxiety attacks over it. Celexa took away my insecurities, but at a major cost to my physical health. I was on Celexa for 7 years and only decided to try something else because I was having difficulty becoming motivated to lose weight, and found that it was not helping me enough with depression."

Ley87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "For many years I had been trying to live with anxiety until it reached a point when I realized I needed help. I often felt stressed and anxious with simple activities like going to the store, and couldn't hold a job or stick with things. Celexa made me happy again, helped me look at life as a glass half full, not empty. Started on 20, noticed some improvement but not complete relief...increased to 40, and then feeling great decided I no longer needed medication. Tapering off, withdrawal symptoms included: dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc...also, anxiety returned full force. I'm back on it, I gave it an 8 because as effective as it is, therapy is an important component to include with treatment. I'll probably stay on this for many years!"

Kayak33 April 25, 2015

For Depression "This medicine has been very helpful to me. I have always been very reluctant to try medications. This medication has stopped the crying everyday, the constant anger, and helped significantly with anxiety. I have been on Celexa for almost 3 months and I feel a little better everyday, it just takes time. I've had night sweats, light headaches and not slept as well as I used to since starting this medication. However, for me, the benefits are outweighing the side effects at the moment and I will continue to use Celexa until that is no longer the case."

19piper91 April 24, 2015

For Depression "I love this medication is has changed my life. Love it love it love it....."

Me myself and I April 24, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on citalopram for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. The only side effect I had was dizziness the next day after the first dose, but it went away. As of right now, no side effects at all, and I have noticed that I am more independent and more confident than I have ever been. Before this medication I took Paxil, which was horrible. The side effects were the worst and the withdrawal (which I have read about) is bad as well, but I got over it. Before Celexa I would be afraid to talk on the phone and do basic things like calling insurance companies, cable companies, etc. But now I have the confidence to call anyone and the change has been night and day. Highly recommend this medication!"

Saritaaa April 22, 2015

For Depression "I was hesitant for years to ever be put on medicine for anxiety/depression, but once it had significantly gotten worst into my "adult" years (mid-20's), I decided it was time. I cannot say enough amazing things about Celexa. I have been on it for a little over two weeks (10 mg starting out and now 20mg) and wow. My only regret is that I didn't get put on this way sooner! My emotional state is so much better, I am rarely irritated, and I can deal with everything so much better without going absolutely crazy. It's truly amazing. I did have side effects at first- headache, light-headedness, going to the bathroom a lot, stomach upset, lump in my throat, clinching my jaw, but it was worth all that once I got past it!"

Emma L April 16, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Starting Celexa was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I had lost myself in a world of anger, darkness, fear, anxiety, panic attacks, and hypochondria. I was not myself. In fact, I didn't even recognize myself anymore. The first month of Celexa (10mg) was hell, to be honest. Side effects included upset stomach, nausea, numbness, weakness, brain "zaps", hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks, anxiety, inability to sleep, the feeling of extreme heat within my body (difficult to explain), and strange awareness of limbs. After a month, I woke up one day" and was myself again. It felt like a weight had been lifted. I was free, happy, courageous, calm, and peaceful. I am about to meet the 1year mark - the serenity remains."

yogini22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I am on week three of 10mg celexa. I felt a difference in my mood immediately. My husband too finds I am much calmer. I was a mix bag of anxiety, irritability, anger, sadness, stress, mind racing and exhaustion. I used to snap at every little thing. The mood shifting was not only hard on me but my family as well. I couldn't live like that any more. Although I was prescribed celexa, I did not rush out to buy it I guess because I was ashamed about having to medicate myself. It took me two months to admit it to myself. I now regret not starting it earlier! It has changed me for the better. I am still the same person with the same life problems but I can better handle my problems now. I can think clearly. The negativity is gone."

32y female (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

For Depression "So, a little over a year ago (20 year old female) I was diagnosed with depression. My doctor gave me Celexa 20 mg. The first week I had dry mouth and nausea, but that was about it for side effects, they went away quickly. Celexa made me feel more in control of my emotions, happier, and less tearful. After 8 months, I switched to 40 mg, it didn't do very much and 4 months later, I had gained 15 lbs. So I switched back to 20 mg. It has been over a year now and I feel like the medication has stopped working, I'm feeling depressed again, sleeping a lot, more sadness. So I'm going to see my doctor and switch. Overall, for a first medication, it was good. Just definitely watch your weight and what you're eating!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2015

For Depression "I can't say enough good things about this medication. I've fought mild-to-moderate depression on-and-off for twenty years. I've done counseling and read tons of books. I also tried Paxil years ago but found it numbing. Celexa has been WONDERFUL. I'm on 20mg a day. The crying spells, feelings of doubt and despair, and constant negative thoughts have all gone away. I still have up and down moods and feelings but they feel normal and manageable...like what regular people must feel like. I feel much more confident, happy and engaged with life. As for side effects...not to be crude, but the only side effect I've experienced is delayed orgasm and, as a man, this is more of a benefit than a problem ;-) I highly recommend this medication..."

Can't say enough good things (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

For Depression "I am taking Celexa 20 mg for four months now, and my depression is better I am not crying every single moment I still have anxiety, but for depression works☺️Also I am more sociable now it takes a few months though"

Gelly March 26, 2015

For Depression "I have been on Celexa for over 6 years now. For a long time, I have been on 20mg a day and I feel quite normal for the most part. I do not feel like crying and I do not feel suicidal every single day anymore BUT i do have episodes of that at least once a month, lasting for just several days. I cut down to 10mg for a year but I noticed that I had non-stop crying and sensitivity more often so I am not back on 20mg. I would not say that it makes me feel extremely happy but for the most part, I felt normal. I like that it did not make any changes to my weight and it did not lower my sex drive at all in comparison to other reviews on this medication. I do, however, noticed that my memory and focus is not as great as before I started Celexa."

22femalecanadian March 15, 2015

For Depression "Helps post traumatic stress disorder that has turned into chronic depression and irritability. Side effects is nausea, appetite gain and tiredness, in my case, but I also have hypothyroidism and clogged arteries. Helps enough to be worth it for good in my case."

KatVonFarsta March 13, 2015

For Depression "At first I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg which I cut in half to 25mg. I'm sensitive to medications and this being my first SSRI it really threw me for a loop. Severe derealization and anxiety that lasted all day. So I quit the Zoloft and was put on Celexa and Buspar, the Buspar is useless for me. I once again had bad derealization. So after giving the Buspar two chances I gave it up. I started Celexa at 10mg. First day samething, derealization, anxiety, etc. So I cut the pill in half to 5mg, helped me get used to medication really well. I now take it every night at 8pm. I'm currently taking 15mg, about to take 20mg after 3 more doses. I'm starting to feel emotions and connections with myself that I haven't felt in years. So far, so good"

TO'Leary (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have started on celexa 10mg for severe anxiety I was having ( to the point where I couldn't function and thought I was going to lose my job) I'm only a week in the 10 mg and I already feel a lot better, the anxiety is still there but is manageable. I will be upping to 20 mg this weekend in case it makes me sick. Which brings me to my next advice, if you have a sensitive stomach or was not on any other medication start in a low dose and start on a Friday or Saturday because you will have bad symptoms. I was extremely nauseous, I couldn't sleep and it made me feel really weird for a while. I had to take petbo bismol tablets to make sure I did not throw up the medication and be back to square one. But that has passed and I feel better now!"

Kourt (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015