User Reviews for Citalopram (Page 9)

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 10 reviews 40 medications

Agitation 1 reviews 6 medications

Dysthymia 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1091 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I (VERY reluctantly) began 10 mg of Celexa (for anxiety) for a week, then 20 mg for the next week, and now I've been on 30 mg for a few weeks now. I had anxiety about taking the anti-anxiety meds! Honestly, the first week was AWFUL. My anxiety was heightened, I couldn't sleep, bad headaches and felt like something was tickling my brain. By the second week, those side effects were gone. My anxiety was resulting in constant physical dizziness, floor "bouncing" (feeling like you're on a boat/elevator when you're just walking around), racing thoughts, sleeping just to avoid it all, etc. My dizziness is mostly disappeared, and usually the floor feels like it should. PLEASE DON'T BE SCARED! It can be a lifesaver."

Steph N (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

For Postpartum Depression: "Helped with my postpartum depression, was on it for 3 years then diagnosed with stage IV non Hodgkin's lymphoma."

Little momma (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2015

For Depression: "I have been on this medication for almost a full month now and I don't really feel any different. They keep wanting to increase the dosage because they think it will help me. I am on 40mg and it just makes me feel like I did before not happy but not sad. I have periods throughout the day where my mood drops so quickly and I stay depressed pretty much the rest of the day. I get extremely tired and it's not good especially going to school. It's a good medication but it doesn't work for me and my anxiety has been out the roof lately."

Smokejumperblood (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "It knocks out extreme sadness for me. But I still get the lack of motivation and energy when it comes around. I'm bipolar 1."

O K Here Abouts November 4, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I've only been on it a week. I have had no major side effects...... slight insomnia. Appetite is fine and no weight gain as of yet. It pulled me out of this dark hole I was in. I felt numb and cold too the world. I'm happy now and can't help but smile and enjoy my life and everyone in It. I truly hope this continues too work. its been a life saver. I hope this helps someone else."

HAppy freakin camper (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I was on celexa 20 mg for depression. It helped great with my anxiety symptoms, but not well for depression. My doctor recommended I take it because I am on the anxious-side of depression, and it really helped with those symptoms - overthinking, freaking out over every little thing. My boyfriend told me I became a lot less intense and irritable. It did not help my loss of energy and fatigue and low-motivation and I still had suicidal thoughts. The first week I started on 10 mg and experienced no change or side-effects. I moved to 20 mg and it made me worse for about a week, then my anxiety symptoms got better. I am switching to bupropione because I need help with depression symptoms."

khaleesikatie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2015

For Depression: "My depression and anxiety began when I was about 25. It just got worse and worse until I decided to see a doctor. I knew nothing about antidepressants at the time. I was prescribed Lexapro and took that for about 3-4 years. After 2 years, I think it stopped working because I would be crying and miss work all of the time, for no great reason. I then tried Wellbutrin, this did basically nothing for me. I got very discouraged at the way I was feeling, and started self medicating with the wrong things. I began Citalopram/Celexa 40mg/day. It honestly took about a year to work well. I don't know if it is the meds or my age (I am now 34), but life is WAY better. My motivation still sucks, but that's just life."

KC81 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 28, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Celexa works great for Depression. Most days I feel fine but there are other days where I feel as though I was out partying all night messed up on drugs. Like an acid trip if you know what I mean. It has made me kind of numb to the things that were bringing me down but unfortunately I suffer from all the side affects."

Anonymous October 25, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was stressed due to work and began taking 10 mg. it worked when I took it which was maybe twice a week. 7 months after starting the med, I thought s bug was in my ear. After seeing one walk in clinic Doctor and an ear nose throat hearing test and X-ray, I went to my family doctor. She narrowed it down to this medicine because I take no other meds and have no other health concerns.my age is 39 female."

Stressed no more October 24, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Suicidal thoughts"

wellbirin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2015

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I am now on month 8 of taking 10mg of Celexa. I am now feeling the full benefits of it. My anxiety, moodiness, anger, irritability, depression, rage, and even my cravings have subsided. Celexa has worked wonders for me. Sometimes, I'm in a dark place, but not as much as I used to. I also no longer hurt myself or have thoughts of hurting myself. Finally, I feel like I want to "live" again. I am not going on any other medication but Celexa."

Cherokeeprincess (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 24, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm 20, and my anxiety is at an all time high. Racing thoughts, constant worry, can't drive on the highway, or drive at night because I'll have a panic attack. So I just had to go to the doctors to get back on citalopram. I was desperate, so they started me off on 20mg. I'm on my 2nd day of taking the drug, and it's terrible. I threw up this morning after a very restless and nauseated night of sleep. I read the side effects, and that was considered "medical help" kind of thing. So I called doctors office and they told me to cut it in half and let them know on Monday. Day 2: took half a pill and just don't feel myself. Restless, nauseous, dry mouth, etc. I plan to keep going with this. Hopefully it outweighs the terrible anxiety. Advice?"

SarahAnne1995 October 24, 2015

For Dysthymia: "The only thing this med did was make me yawn 24/7"

phenylalanine (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 21, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have tried Zoloft, Effexor, Prozac and Wellbutrin. (Effexor is awful btw-- don't EVER get on it. And Wellbutrin is like taking Adderall.) Celexa is wonderful. I had symptoms of body dysmorphia. It was really controlling me every day. I wasn't depressed, and haven't been for over ten years, but I have always had the anxiety... BAD. Anyway, i had every symptom of body dysmorphia and it was getting worse every day, for a few years. And the constant anxiety including social anxiety ( I wouldn't go to the mall or the grocery store on the weekends bc of crowds) and all of it affected my every day life. Celexa helped calm EVERYTHING. I no longer have the body dysmorphia symptoms, and the social anxiety, paranoia, obsessive thoughts have subsided"

Kyrae October 21, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I think it doesn't work that well. Also it didn't help my temper & I still have OCD issues ."

stormy699 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

For Depression: "Hi everyone, im a 35yo male ive been on the drug now for 7weeks and have found both positive and negative affects my mood has improved, i dont dwell on the negative aspects of my life as much, im more focused and im learning to look at the good in my life but and heres the but im waking around 3-4am and thinking so hard i cant get back to sleep and feeling tired through the day im managing with the lack of sleep at the moment but would struggle with any less hope it helps chin up d.neasham"

d.neasham October 17, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "This is my 2nd day of taking the meds and yesterday was the first day I was able to come home from work and not have a panic attack! The only side effects I fell is dry mouth I slept so good last night."

Cc768 October 16, 2015

For Depression: "I started this last night before I went to bed figured it would make me tired. I woke up at midnight with shakes/tremors. I fell back asleep a couple hours later, but didn't really sleep. I mean I was asleep but its that sleep where you're really not sleeping because your mind won't stop running. Anyway so I called my doctor this morning and she told me just to take half a pill during the day now. Today I have been crying non stop and have had to make several phone calls to my mom and husband because I am freaking out. I have two babies under the age of 2. I just want to be better for them. Please looking for some advice or good words to help calm my thoughts."

dallba (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2015

For Depression: "I have suffered from depression for over 10 years, I got to the point of almost not existing any more. Thankfully I managed to claw my way through it and seek help, as soon as I did that I received an overwhelming amount of support, completely disproving my precious idea of being worthless. My doctor gave me 20 mg of citalopram and that helped immensely. I have been on them now for about 7 weeks. I noticed results instantly (to my surprise), I did experience a few side effects such as nausea, headaches and slight difficulty sleeping for the first week and I did notice a reduction in my sexdrive. However. After a few weeks I didn't experience them any more, I feel like a changed man, medication mixed with therapy. Good stuff."

Robot Herb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Although my depression has calmed, my anxiety attacks are not any better"

Anonymous October 14, 2015

For Depression: "I had a horrible experience. I don't really know if it was the drug itself or the fact that my Dr. went from mylan (xanax) 1mg to citalopram (celexa)20mg... It made me sick as can be.. Diarrhea nonstop Lost of sleep Severe anxiety Severe lost of appetite Severely depressed Thoughts of suicide Hearing voices.. But like I said, I'm confused..it could be the medication or it could be that I went to a careless Dr. I suggest starting at low dosage!"

notgood October 14, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "I am a 22 year old female, and have been suffering from panic disorder and anticipatory anxiety for about 4 years. But due to a recent event that occurred about a month ago, my panic disorder and anxiety had become CRIPPLING. I could not get through my days without either worrying about a panic attack to the point where I cause one, or not even thinking about the panic attack and having it happen at any random time.It was getting to the point where I was living my days centered around trying to keep myself "level," but also petrified that I was going to have another attack. I had constant racing thoughts. My doctor recommended an SSRI for me-Celexa (Citalopram). He prescribed 20mg pills. I would take 10mg at night for the first four days, and then after that I would take 20mg at night from then on. I MADE THE MISTAKE OF RESEARCHING ALL OF THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS!!!! I completely understand researching a drug before you take it- but it is important to remember that a lot of people who have positive experiences most often do not write about it. It is the people who have negative experiences who will. I was PETRIFIED to take the drug b/c of the horror stories, until one day I realized that the side effects of the pill were worth it if it meant that I could have peaceful days. I took the first 10mg at night and had (and continue to have) a FANTASTIC sleep. I did not experience ANY nausea, no tightness of chest, no insomnia, no panic, no anxiety, NOTHING but a slight headache. It felt as though the pill gave me relief almost immediately. I have been on the pills for a little over two weeks. They have been a lifesaver for me!! I feel at peace. The racing, flooding thoughts have stopped. The panic attacks have been nonexistent. (My doctor gave me a prescription for Xanax just in case I have one) I feel like myself and I am happy again. I highly recommend trying them if you are suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, or depression."

Samantha92193 October 11, 2015

For Depression: "Citalopram changed my life. I was severely depressed, crying every day with a hugely negative outlook. After just a few days I felt much more positive, less depressed and barely cry. Only side effects for me were mild nausea and a headache after taking the first few times, but eating something helps. Would definitely recommend citalopram!"

Ella76 October 11, 2015

For Depression: "After having mild but persistent depression for 18 years it got much worse after having my first baby. I'd never took any depression medication, but my GP recommended to take Cipramil. It took around 4 - 6 weeks before I really felt the benefit of the medicine with mild side effects such as nausea, dizziness and not being able to concentrate. But now I've been taking it for 9 months and I'm so happy and coping with life much better, and most importantly having fun and enjoying my baby. I put on 5 kg since started to take Cipramil, but I think I eat more now that I can enjoy my food.I'm not sure another long term side effects, but I'm so thankful that I can feel joy in life again after being miserable for so long."

AmiKC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have been on Celexa for about two months now and the first two days I had insomnia really bad, but then it got better as time went on. My depression is somewhat balanced, but I do have continued anxiety and stress. I went to my Doctor's today and had my weight checked and in less than a month I have gained 12 lbs; I was shocked! I was told it could be from the Celexa, so now I'm slowly weaning myself off of that as I try my new medication; Wellbutrin. All in all, Celexa is good, and if it weren't for the weight gain I would have stayed on it. Everybody's body is different and it just wasn't the right medication for me."

ropeitup99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2015