User Reviews for Citalopram (Page 9)

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 13 reviews 44 medications

4.2
Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1275 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Celexa has changed my life. The first couple days I was yawning uncontrollably which is a rare side effect. After that I started to feel like a robot almost. I just did things, I didn't think too much about anything. I guess maybe that's why it helps with depression. But not only does it suppress the bad thoughts. It also suppresses the positive and creative thoughts."

JordanStaub (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have always had EXTREME anxiety, ever since I started puberty basically. Social situations intensified it, but I always had it. It was something I could never shut off, I always was very tense especially in the neck and back region. I couldn't even feel comfortable walking around in my own house it was so severe. Once I finally came to my doctor with this I was prescribed citalopram. I noticed the effect of the medication within about a day. It was amazing. Every time I felt anxiety coming on it was blocked. I still feel anxiety when it's appropriate, like meeting a guy, or trying something new; the normal things that you get anxious or nervous about. But I can finally relax and think straight all the time now and I've never felt so good."

Madison145789 July 13, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have dosed at 20mg and 10mg and I've found that 10mg works best for me. I started taking cit after getting divorced to deal with anxiety (I have PTSD and my ex exacerbated this with stalking). If I take it on an empty stomach it can give me nausea but a banana or something simple fixes this. It will give me a mild headache about an hour after taking but that doesn't last long. I do not take any other meds or herbs. I am a white female over 50. On 20 mg I felt so "relaxed" I tended to spend money I shouldn't. I dosed down to keep that in check. It helps me manage single parenting stress and reduces angry reactions in stressful situations. Other than the light headaches and mild temporary nausea, no other side effects."

WorkingOnIt2 July 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Celexa for years, just some advice for people who take this medication. If your feeling sick drink a glass of milk and cut down on your water in take, your just flushing it out your system. 20 year plus anxiety suffer,"

road ready July 12, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had Terrible obsessive thoughts and anxiety for years which started when I was 20 after I had my daughter my nan died and it became so crippling I was in able to cope and although I'm against medication I know my daughter came first And she needs a happy mummy. I went on them 10mg at first but as it made me feel worse I was literally a wreak so doctor started me at 5mg and built me up to 20mg over 6 weeks and as it makes u feel worse before better he gave me some diazapam just to take the edge of while I was getting used to it within 6 weeks I started to feel better I came of the diazapam and stayed on 20mg for 4 years now I felt awesome I was a new woman happy strong and my career flew off. Weight gain def 30,lbs but better than panic"

Blondie201123 July 12, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had insomnia and anxiety, probably mixed with a little depression. My doctor put me on Citalopram and sent me for CBT therapy for the insomnia and anxiety. I also did the 6 week self help book Sleepio programme for insomnia, yoga, regular exercise and mindfulness meditation that I would highly recommend. The combination worked wonders! The Citalopram took about 6 weeks to kick in but I definitely still feel happier on it than off! I find that I smile more and people smile back. I was on anti depressants when I was younger but they seemed to cut off parts of the brain whereas Citalopram has a 'good feel' factor! It works for me!"

Calmer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I am a long time sufferer from depression and anxiety and adhd and ptsd....well you name it I have been diagnosed it. I recently...like right now tried to get off celexa....head hurts so bad i cannot stand up. Been awful. Its been 3 days and i am throwing in the towel and going to go pick it up at pharmacy. Yes it works on depression and a tad for anger but I still do have episodes of anger and depression which at times I wonder are worse than before. The thing is i guess you never do know unless someone monitors you before and after. Honestly i think excercise and healthy eating would have worked just as well. I can definitley say it makes you more tired. I can say this..DONT TAKE THIS MEDICATION UNLESS YOUR SERIOUSLY IN NEED."

JessieJ35 July 8, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I was put on this by my gp for depression. I started at 10mg tablets but didn't really do much so doctor agreed I could up it to 20mg but still I couldn't see it helping in anyway. I started having panic attacks and feeling worse than before taking them although I am not self harming like I used to. I took the decision to up it myself last Thursday to 40mg but it's still not helping. I'm also on the contraceptive pill (due to having PCOS) and my periods have got heavy and painful aswell as very frequent (bleeding for 7 days then off 5 repeated) I feel like I'm losing control of my own body and don't feel the citalopram helps me. The side effects of the citalopram when I first started wasn't as bad as I was expecting though."

Jen2701 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Citalopram is the only anti depressant that has ever worked for me. I'm in my 30s and have been dealing with depression since teenage years. Have tried several meds, but this is the only one that consistently works with no sexual side effects. On other meds I just wasn't interested in sex at all.. not normal for a guy and really bums you and your girl out. It's mild, probably not for someone dealing with severe depression. But i'll say I tried to stop once and noticed a difference right away, got right back on it. Takes the edge off the depression and helps me think clearer."

IrishHillbilly (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Great drug at first makes u feel a lot more calmer and happier but soon wears off and u get used to it"

Kirsty1990 July 4, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Reasonably better"

Lbi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have only been on Celexa for 4 days. I take 10mg. I sleep very little, sweating, naseau and have become very anxious about everything. I do drink a lot of water. I just want to feel like myself again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Im 16 years old, before i started taking celexa i was experiencing panick attacks about everynight. I didnt know what was going on with me at all. I was so scared all the time i thought i was going to die, have a stroke, have a heart attack, etc. but of course that was from the panick attacks but i didnt know better it's very hard living with anxiety at 16 years of age, but both my mother and my father have it. anyways i went to see my doctor, told him what i was experiencing and he knew right away just from the way i was explaining it and the way i was reacting. First he put me on 20mg of it the first couple weeks i noticed a big difference but was still anxious! Now im on 40mg and i feel great not 100% but way better! 6-7 weeks on it!!"

DylanBra4716 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've only been on this medication for 2 weeks and I feel relief already from my OCD symptoms (Pure O). The intrusive thoughts are significantly less already. The only side effect I am having is poor sleep. I wake up frequently or feel half asleep all night. Finally, I slept for a full night last night. Lexapro did not work for me, so they decided to try Celexa instead. Starting at 10mg. I am much less anxious."

hhjk178 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on Celexafor about 10 years now after many medications this has been the best for my anxiety, etc thus far without much of any side effects at all."

L.K. July 1, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "17 days on Citalopram 20 mg for depression. Citalopram helps remember things and helps with ocd. I no longer have forgot my keys on the apt door or forgot to lock my car. It really has helped my brain deliver messages where they belong. I have lost weight at least one size. The first three days were the worse. With a type of stoned feeling over-sleeping but after the first week, I began to feel more alert and definitely less worried. I was always worried about things that didn't matter or wernt real before taking citalopram. Citalopram makes me feel I have control over my depression and not the other way around. But I don't have the energy to workout like before I was taking it. And it takes longer for me to climax. It elevates your mood t"

Mitcheline32 June 28, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I just turned 17 and my GP prescribed me 10mg of Citalopram. I have not been taking it for long, only a week however I am seeing the benefits (and side affects) already. I feel less depressed, and my need for self harming as well as suicidal thoughts have decreased substantially in the week. My appetite however has disappeared, and the feeling for food often doesn't happen (I don't feel hunger pains). I suggest bringing snacks like nuts around to fill you up (A handful fills me up on this medication). I also have some trouble sleeping at night, but once I fall asleep I found I stay asleep. Overall I find the drug has helped me; however it has been a little bit of a hassle figuring out graduation plans (With drinking...)"

ToriSmith (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started citalopram at 20mg and remained on this dose for approximately eight weeks, but increased to 30mg due to lack of efficacy. Due to a significant decline in my mood, I had withdrawn citalopram and had done so in increments of 10mg. It did not reduce my anxiety or depression. The side effects were minimal, though I occasionally experienced nausea whilst taking this drug. I cannot say for sure whether if it intensified my depression, but there was absolutely no improvement."

xDan (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I rarely post online reviews, but I recognize that most people only post reviews when they don't like something, so I wanted to sort of offset that here. I'm in my mid-twenties and female. I've suffered with severe anxiety and depression for several years due to trauma. Enter Celexa. To be fair, I went to therapy for several months before deciding to go on medication (and was feeling a bit better), but I still experienced severe anxiety that the therapy wasn't helping. I started feeling better after the first week on Celexa, and things have only improved from there. I've been taking it for around three months and my anxiety/depression is almost completely gone. I've had no sexual side effects whatsoever, no weight gain, no issues."

QuietWaffle (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "So far so good. I m only four days into taking it. I take it at lunchtime everyday, and notice I get a bit drowsy and yawn like crazy for a couple of hours after I take it. HOWEVER, my anxiety is already feeling better so this side effect is nothing in comparison! My anxiety was becoming debilitating, just so much stress... lost my mom to cancer, my cat passed away, going through a possible separation, just horribly stressful situations now. I have a lot of support from my family and friends and feel like this is first step in getting back in check."

Hadleyogram June 24, 2016

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was diagnosed with panic disorder over a year ago and basically was a wreck. I couldn't drive, leave the house, even talk on the phone. I sought out a psychiatrist who put me on Paxil...it helped me get my life back, but, it also made me restless, zombified, and I gained 30 pounds (I'm normally quite thin)..I moved and got a different doctor who put me on Celexa 20 mg because she claimed it had less side effects and my weight would go back to normal. Boy, was she right. It was a rough week of med transition, but I can sleep again normal, I feel more alert and less groggy during the day, still can orgasm, and I'm slowly going down on my weight. I love this medication."

Boneflowers (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "First day 10m I felt euphoria and off. Second day I felt intense depression, fell asleep driving at a red light around 3pm. Had thoughts of sucide and second thoughts about mental hospitals. My eyes dilated and I was very anxious. No thank you! Horrible experience."

Jamieb59 (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "First of all, I just wanted to warn people of the reviews on here saying, "'I am on the 2nd day...' 'It has been 1 week..." This drug doesn't work like that. Whatever you're feeling before the WEEK THREE of taking this is pretty much irrelevant to the review, as Celexa's effects take at least 3 weeks to work properly and for the side effects to ease/disappear. That said, the side effects can be awful at the start but once you're well into treatment this drug can be a literal life saver. I was diagnosed with clinical depression 14 years ago, and this is the only SSRI that has worked for me. Its only after you're off it do you realize how helpful this drug really is. If the side effects do go away after a month, id suggest something else."

Cameron.P June 21, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I went on paxil 20 mg for severe ocd. It was too much and I had bad side effects. Then clomipramine 250 mg which worked great. Came off and needed something cheaper. Today marks week 2 of being on citalopram and honestly everyday I feel better for longer. I still have my moments of anxiety but it went from 80% to 20% at most. It won't let me have a full blow panic attack. Also helped immensely with disassociation due to panic. And please remember, you can read all the reviews you want but your experience will be different. Please go to your doctor and start trying. Give it at least six weeks. Good luck! And remember loves try to stop googling.. it usually makes things worse."

Shib June 21, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I started this medication exactly 4 weeks ago. I started Citalopram 20 mg and noticed something the very first day. I stopped taking it at night as at first, I couldn't sleep. It helped the irratability and I didn't feel depressed, however, I felt like my head was under water a bit. In the third week I noticed a major amount of fatigue and my depression again, into the fourth week as well. Right now I am still very tired and considering taking it before bed again. I know I should talk to my doctor because the fatigue is just too much, I could sleep another 4-5 hours during the day if I could. I wonder if the dose needs to go higher now or if there is something to help the fatigue. I'll probably stick with 20 mg for another 2 weeks."

Kykykykykyky June 21, 2016