User Reviews for Citalopram (Page 9)

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 10 reviews 40 medications

Agitation 1 reviews 6 medications

Dysthymia 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1110 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started celexa because I was having outbursts due to anxiety. At first I was afraid to try it, so I took a half dose for the first week. The initial side effects sucked - fuzzy/cloudy brain, was dizzy, couldn't concentrate. I took it at night to sleep thru it until those initial symptoms went away, then back to morning so I can sleep better. After ~3 weeks I did notice a decrease in my anxiety and outbursts. It's been ~2 months now and I have not had any incidents at work, and overall I am much better about dealing with stress. I don't feel weird or different or withdrawn or anything otherwise. I actually thought the meds weren't working until I looked back & realized I hadn't had any more episodes!"

BKitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm 20 and started on Citalopram because I was having seemingly random extreme panic attacks. The first few weeks were a nightmare but once I pushed through I almost completely stabilized. I know experience mild anxiety but nothing that escalates the way it used to and I can control it. Anxiety is awful but if you can put up with those first few weeks then it helps a lot."

Chris Pop December 2, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed 20mg Celexa and 0.5mg of Xanax, first day I took both as directed, slept for an hour and a half and once I woke I had a panic attack for the next hour or so. The next day I took just the Celexa, slept for an hour and a half again, this time the panic attack was much worse, dizzy, felt like getting sick, come close to calling 911. It finally subsided and went to bed only to lay there wide awake, felt out of it all day. Dr said to stop taking it, prescribed Paxil since I've had success with it before."

stein2015 December 2, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "[24M} I was prescribed 10mg/day of citalopram, increasing to 20mg after that for anxiety. I only made it 4 days before I couldn't stand the side effects and had to quit taking it. Drowsiness, erratic sleep, weird dreams, nausea, headache, extreme thirst and dry mouth/lips, lack of coordination and dizziness. The worst side effect was that it completely killed my sex drive. I don't think I was on the drug long enough to see much benefit, it did seem to calm me down, but some of the side effects made my anxiety worse."

op55 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2015

For Depression: "Can not get out of bed (worse than normal). Depression lifted slightly. Very anxious that it won't work, but feeling positive because I believe in the end it WILL work. Giving this 100% my best try."

Emiele (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Dr just put me on 20 2x a day with 1 mg Ativan PRN. I was on Zanex 1 mg 2x a day I have been through the worst thing a parent can go through losing a child 12 years ago she was 8 then I'm a widow now lost my husband 5 years ago he was 41. I see a psychiatrist huh nothing mends a broken heart but I will keep trying what the Dr keeps putting me on"

Sad150 (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2015

For Depression: "I've been taking Citalopram for about a year now for my depression and anxiety and it has really helped out a lot. I'm taking 20 mg a day and my depression has completely disappeared. It worked good for my anxiety for awhile, but my anxiety has came back a little. When I first started taking it, I took it at night and it gave me MAJOR restless leg syndrome, so I take it in morning and it's better. Just some days it makes me yawn all day and sometimes space out during the day. But I'm very happy It has taken away my depression."

Anonymous November 30, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started to get extreme health anxiety and panic attacks out of the blue a little over a month ago. I've suffered from anxiety most of my life but always managed my life with it just fine until recently and it became debilitating. I started this medication a little over 3 weeks ago and I am starting to feel so much better. I am eating again, I no longer feel dizzy or lightheaded as much and I am starting to feel like myself again. I only take the lowest dose for now and take it at night and have had no side effects at all. This has been a huge help to me so far."

lionsgril616 (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This made my anxiety worse."

micky2015 November 26, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Ejaculation impaired unable to climax"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I'm only one week in, and seriously feel better. I'm a mom of two and a lawyer--I've suffered a lot of loss and have been shouldering a lot of stresses. I've always been anxious, but just thought that was who I was. My doctor put me on 10 mg of Celexa. I did have some nausea the first few days and headaches, but other than that nothing. I had so much anxiety about taking the medication, I almost didn't. But one evening my daughter told me that all of the things I worry about turn out fine--and she was right. If you need help, sometimes you can't do it yourself. I exercise, meditate, eat well, sleep well, but I couldn't shake the anxiety. This has helped a ton. I laugh, I feel more relaxed, and I'm gratefully enjoying life again."

littlechickens November 23, 2015

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "My doctor prescribed me celexa ten days ago as I suffer from bad anxiety attacks im also diabetic so she thinks the anxiety is brought on because of my unstable blood sugars ...the attacks were making my life hell also being a mum of three this was just not good ... I'm not sure on how I feel at the moment ???...i sweat so much feel sick and like I'm high on drugs ( such a weird feeling ) but I get a moment in the day where I feel okish and can see hope at the end of the tunnel .. I'm not sure if this means the tablets are working or not ?? I hope they do :))"

bessie89 (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2015

For Depression: "I noticed I was constantly down, getting upset and was unable to communicate with people. I stopped going out and without realising I created my own bubble which I found hard to get out of. Even the simplist of things felt hard causing me to fall behind in work. I was then experiencing anxiety where I was so stressed. I knew somthing wasn't right when I found myself fantasising over jumping off a really high building so I didn't have to worry anymore. I took myself to the doctors and he started me on 10mg of citalopram. The first week was hard. I still had suisidal thoughts. I couldn't stop yawning and had a dry mouth. After three weeks I started to feel normal again and things got easier. I still have down days but at all like before. :)"

Jess S (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started getting anxiety attacks and my doctor started me off on 10mg of celexa. The first few days, I noticed I had more anxiety and it made me really sleepy and groggy. After a few more days, I noticed it made me not want to get out of bed and lost almost all appetite. I was forcing myself to eat and ended up losing 9lbs in 10 days. By day 10, I couldn't take it anymore, I knew something wasn't right and celexa was making it worse and making me feel worse. I went to my doctor and she told me to stop right away, that the side effects shouldnt have lasted that long or made me feel depressed. It didn't work for me."

T23br (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Well, for the longest time I was on 20 mg and I felt okay. Which was a lot better than the constant anxious mood I was in and I could finally go to school. The last 3 weeks, I was on 40 mg after trying Wellbutrin and having a terrible reaction to it. But in the two days that I came off of celexa, only taking 20 mg again, I had the worst withdrawal symptoms. It might work for you but after a while it didn't work for me."

Boopbadoop (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 15, 2015

For Depression: "I started on citalopram 3 days ago. Day 1 was the worst! 3 hours after taking the pill I was sick a few times and felt dizzy and tired. I went to work that night feeling drained and every time I blinked I thought I was going to fall asleep! Day 2 I was skeptical at whether I wanted to take it again. But I did .. I was absolutely fine just felt a little tired and nauseous. Day 3 started grinding my teeth hard without realising and my heart beat kept going fast but it was okay because my mind was blank. I didn't feel anything .. I wasn't hurting I wasn't sad I wasn't angry and things that's normally anger me just didn't bother me. I could go out into the world with the humans and didn't feel paranoid or embarrassed."

louloubell91 November 15, 2015

For Depression: "I've taken 20mg of citalopram for a little over two years and while it has helped ease my depression and anxiety symptoms, I'm not sure the benefits have outweighed the issues. My mood has improved overall and I have far fewer panic attacks than I used to, but I definitely have weeks where I feel absolutely terrible again and its effectiveness seems to have worn off over time. The biggest problem I've had is that it's caused issues with my attention span and I my head feels foggy much of the time. My doctor suggested cutting the pills in half and that seems to be helping, but because of the haziness I am really considering a change in medication."

gottagofaster November 14, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I've only been on celexa for a month, I am 5'5" and I was 112lbs and they put me on 10mg, but it didn't help at all, it made me start having panic attacks and anxiety attacks again I'm also on klonopin ((1mg twice a day)) for panic disorder and adderall ((20mg XR in the morning and 10mg IR at lunch time)) for inattentive adhd), I haven't been any less depressed, and I'm 99lbs now and they just doubled my dose to see if that will work. I really hope it does, because right now I absolutely hate it. I've been eating more than I normally do but losing weight rapidly, and I'm already underweight. Celexa so far makes me feel like I'm on the verge of falling asleep almost 24/7; the rest of the time is when I'm having anxiety and panic attacks."

Caden Gordon November 14, 2015

For : "I was px to combat hot flushes (had breast cancer,mastectomy,chemo). Result was no hot flushes - brilliant however discontinued after one day as side effects - dizziness, muzzy head, overwhelming nausea. I felt awful and will suffer the hot flushes rather than take one more of these."

Heyho November 13, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I (VERY reluctantly) began 10 mg of Celexa (for anxiety) for a week, then 20 mg for the next week, and now I've been on 30 mg for a few weeks now. I had anxiety about taking the anti-anxiety meds! Honestly, the first week was AWFUL. My anxiety was heightened, I couldn't sleep, bad headaches and felt like something was tickling my brain. By the second week, those side effects were gone. My anxiety was resulting in constant physical dizziness, floor "bouncing" (feeling like you're on a boat/elevator when you're just walking around), racing thoughts, sleeping just to avoid it all, etc. My dizziness is mostly disappeared, and usually the floor feels like it should. PLEASE DON'T BE SCARED! It can be a lifesaver."

Steph N (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

For Postpartum Depression: "Helped with my postpartum depression, was on it for 3 years then diagnosed with stage IV non Hodgkin's lymphoma."

Little momma (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2015

For Depression: "I have been on this medication for almost a full month now and I don't really feel any different. They keep wanting to increase the dosage because they think it will help me. I am on 40mg and it just makes me feel like I did before not happy but not sad. I have periods throughout the day where my mood drops so quickly and I stay depressed pretty much the rest of the day. I get extremely tired and it's not good especially going to school. It's a good medication but it doesn't work for me and my anxiety has been out the roof lately."

Smokejumperblood (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "It knocks out extreme sadness for me. But I still get the lack of motivation and energy when it comes around. I'm bipolar 1."

O K Here Abouts November 4, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I've only been on it a week. I have had no major side effects...... slight insomnia. Appetite is fine and no weight gain as of yet. It pulled me out of this dark hole I was in. I felt numb and cold too the world. I'm happy now and can't help but smile and enjoy my life and everyone in It. I truly hope this continues too work. its been a life saver. I hope this helps someone else."

HAppy freakin camper (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I was on celexa 20 mg for depression. It helped great with my anxiety symptoms, but not well for depression. My doctor recommended I take it because I am on the anxious-side of depression, and it really helped with those symptoms - overthinking, freaking out over every little thing. My boyfriend told me I became a lot less intense and irritable. It did not help my loss of energy and fatigue and low-motivation and I still had suicidal thoughts. The first week I started on 10 mg and experienced no change or side-effects. I moved to 20 mg and it made me worse for about a week, then my anxiety symptoms got better. I am switching to bupropione because I need help with depression symptoms."

khaleesikatie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2015