User Reviews for Citalopram (Page 9)

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

Hot Flashes 6 reviews 19 medications

4.2
Summary of Citalopram reviews 1362 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "So for months I have been having severe anxiety and panic attacks. I finally went to the doctor because it has made my life a living hell on a day to day basis and depression has started to creep in from being so stressed out over having the anxiety itself. I was prescribed citalopram 20mg but after reading reviews I let it sit on my counter for 2 weeks for fear of taking it and making my anxiety even worse. Yesterday I finally said screw it and took 1/4 of a pill (5mg) to start. I was at the point where I'm just sick of having anxiety every day and nothing, not even the side effects could be worse. I didn't have any weird reactions. I did get really sleepy about 2 hours after taking it but it was late evening so I didn't mind."

serendipity83 November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Three years ago following somr major life changes I became depressed for the first and only time in my life....so far at least! Out of now I began to feel more and more isolated and detached from everyone around me and could find no happiness in anything.... despite embarking on a new relationship with a lovely person I continued over a few months to spiral downwards until thoughts of suicide started to become appealing as a solution. I spoke to a trusted colleague and considered therapy but decided, without much hope, to see my doctor. My doctor prescribed citalopram which I took over the next few months....10mg tablets.. ...all I can say is that it worked. Gradually the feelings of dismay and helplessness eased until I felt....normal. x"

Alfie Olek November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I,ve been taking citalopram for 2 years after experiencing total burnout and depression. Started on 20mg then up to 40mg and finally began to feel better, tried to ween it down to 10mg but didn't work. So on 20 mg and feel good and if it means taking a pill everyday for the rest of my life - as long as I never go back to that dark place I will keep taking them. Side effects sweating on my face, tremor in hands and weight gain."

jj100 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I recently started celexa, my doctor told me to start with 10mg for a week than go up to 20mg. I noticed a difference with the very first pill, I felt more anxiety and severe nausea. I kept taking the pills and it got worse with every dose. I couldn't leave my house or bed, it made everything worse. My doctor said to keep taking them so I did. 6 days later I couldn't take it anymore so I stopped and the withdrawal side effects are just as bad, extreme nausea and excessive anxiety, it's been a terrible roller coaster ride. After not being on it for a week I'm finally starting to feel better."

Harrycat November 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Having struggled with crippling anxiety for a while now and after therapy not working, I decided to approach my doctor about meds. He suggested citalopram 20mg. I found this too strong and cut it down to 10mg- much better. After a few weeks, I am sleeping better, eating better and the anxiety is at bay- I was able to give 2 presentations with no issues and my thinking is much clearer now. The only downside is the side effects in the first 2 weeks can be jarring but once they settle down, the results are well worth it"

Lizzie7 November 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "My life has been a disaster. Recently diagnosed with bipolar, spent most of my life aware of something wrong, but unaware of what it was and mostly unaware of how I affected others. Started citalopram a year ago, and caught fleeting glances of my condition. Then figured out that why my life has been such a bucket of poo, even though on paper I had accomplished a great deal. No matter what I did, where I went, the sick I was always there. Have tried other cures but they didn't work as well as citalopram. Lithium helped some. Others left my mouth dry (very bad for the teeth), gave me headaches, and made my heart race. So here I am, having to cuddle with a dragon and a psychic one at that."

HarryDD November 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Well, With citralopram being one for of the (in my opinion) Less commonly know drugs used to treat depression, I would say it does have some time to build up a reputable reputation in terms of it's reviews and significant statistics. I have used this drug for some time and i noticed a 'lift in mood'. Which totally makes sense as mood is highly associated with depression, or at least managing depression, well that's the case with me. When i first went to the doctors, they did try me with a common drug named fluxeotine, (prozac)(20mg)daily. I found no change in my particular case of depression infact the severety of my issue worsened, so after a bit of a push with the doctor, they decided to try me on citalopram. Thumbs up."

Didster2 November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I was placed on Celexa in 2008 and have been on it ever sense. Although at one point in 2011 I thought I could stop taking it and took myself off for about 3 months and felt the difference. It has truly given me back my peace and happiness!!!"

LDeeHappyLaddii November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Did nothing to help my depression. Made me feel suicidal and zombie like"

Quiggle (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I began taking citalopram less than a year ago. Best decision I ever made! I remember that being the best time of my life. I made a lot of new friends/stopped pushing old friends away, had one of the best relationships I ever had, and started new hobbies that I was waaaay too scared to do before. The side effects were not too bad at all (not as bad as the depression/anxiety i felt before). The only problem was I did not take them like I should have. IF ITS WORKING NOT NOT GO OFF OF THEM. I felt genuinely happy and excited about life, that I decided I was "better" and didn't need the medication anymore. Bad choice, monthes later I was back to where I was before. I'm here now and regret stop taking them. Seeing my doctor tomorrow. xx"

abbs46865 November 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking this medicine when I was 24 years old for social anxiety. I hated meeting new people, felt intimidated easily, threw up on my first day of every new school semester and my mind was always racing. I was constantly thinking of scenarios in my head to prepare myself for whatever may come next. Started on 10mg then 20mg. The first night I experienced numbing in my left hand. In the following days I was having a hard time falling asleep, yawning whether I was tired or not, and for the longest time my jaw was always clenched. I also had a loss of appetite. Lost weight at first. Sex drive was terrible and say bye to orgasms for awhile. Now after a year, I feel human and no side effects at all! I have much more confidence!"

Anonymous #2 November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Hi im not sure on how to ask a question on here, but i need help because i dont know what type of anxiety i have i'll let you know my symptoms everyday my head feels tight its on and off throughout the day i also cant sit there and be still thats why i play my xbox 24/7 to keep me focus. I cant step one foot outside or even spend quality time with my son because i get panicy i constantly think of my breathing unless im on my xbox, im to worried to take citalopram ive seen good and bad reviews but i need my life back for my son, i got 10mg citalopram had them over a month to scared to take also taken one propanolol 40mg had a few side affects dry eyes and blurred vision, but to me can a drug actually work for anxiety please help xx"

LeviMarshall (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Was suffering from PTSD following sudden end of marriage ... I could not seem to ' hold it together' and reluctantly took 10g citralopram for the sake of my children and job ... I had no side effects apart from no appetite for a few weeks ... Within 4 weeks I was feeling so much better ... It 'took the edge ' off my distress but I did not feel in anyway out of control or not totally myself . I took for 3 years ( tried to stop once but not ready) ... I have now been off it for 8 months after withdrawing over a 3 month period very gradually . My biggest fears were ; feeling zombified, gaining weight ; being apathetic towards life ; being addicted ..none of these fears happened . I am grateful for citopram for getting me thru tough times."

Sallyb133 November 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I know I should wait about a month before sharing my experience, but I absolutely love this medication. I've been on it for a week with nothing but good effects. Before this, I couldn't be around crowds without getting panicky and anxious. I was causing problems in my relationship out of anxiety. My sex drive has increased since this medicine eases the anxiety I get about my body. The only minor effects I'm getting are very minor shakiness, which is hardly noticeable. I'm also yawning a lot, but I'm not tired. I also have a slight tightness in my throat, like the feeling you get while crying but it's not even prevalent anymore. I hope I keep reacting so well to this, I feel like a real person now, and I'm not held back by my anxiety."

karlynnhaha (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking Citalopram for a long time and I noticed that when I first started to tale it I get shakes like a hypoglycemia attack and loss of appitite but both stopped within a few days. I have also developed a tremor in my left hand(common side effect in SSRI meds) but it doesn't really cause problems. I find it so effective because when I was weaned off it my anxiety slowly got worse until I have an anxiety attack almost everyweek, but the week I was put back on it I was overall less stressed and anxious and could let things roll off instead of bothering me."

Carlesss October 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on 10mg for 6 weeks now. I was prescribed 20mg but only managed this dose once and I was so ill I didn't want to take it again so decided to cut my pill in half. I felt really sick on these and sleepy so I changed to taking them in bed just before going to sleep an it worked a treat. In a very VERY anxious person I also have graves disease which causes anxiety an panic attacks daily. In the past 6 weeks I've had 1 panic attack which only lasted 5 minutes then I was totally calm again ( very weird) I was having at least 1 panic attack a day before hand. They do take awhile to work. I would say the last week I've noticed a huge difference. I'd definitely a lot calmer and more out going. Just get past the 1st few weeks :)"

Lmjc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "The first few days on the medication I was sweaty, more agitated and slept alot. I lost six pounds within the first week, was nauseous and had no appetite. I had a lot of doubt and thought to myself it would go away. I stayed away from most everyone because I felt my mood swings. Today marks the second week. I switched to the night time until this past weekend because it made me sleep like a rock (I have really bad insomnia). I just started taking it during the day and it makes me slightly drowsy, but nothing I can't push through. I just think that maybe I am less stressed now and more relaxed. So, not drowsy.....just calm, hopefully. Not sure. I've always been a work hard and told I don't relax (runs in my genes). I am getting more done."

JesAPill (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have been on this medicine for 3 months now, I am on 20mg per day. The first tablet I took was a complete trip, then with the other tablets I did not have any weird feelings as if I was high. I had some side effects such as light tremors in my hands and thirst. I did not drink any alcohol for 1.5 months, I discovered wine brings up my depression so I do not drink wine any more. Just a glass of whisky every now and then. The first three weeks were a bit rough but things started to move forwards in a very pleasent way, family and friends noticed I smile all the time and yes I deffo feel happier. Anxiety levels have come down, although I do have probably a panic attack a month. This medicine has been a life saver for me, I have no emotions"

Keiks October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Was put on citalopram 12years ago for depression and anxiety, it changed my life. After an illness that brought all this on 20mg citalopram worked very well, I felt great and able to cope with whatever life threw at me. I still had mild depression when I overdone things but a slight increase sorted that out at around the 4 week mark. Unfortunately my recent depressive episode was severe and the dr I saw messed the dosage so much it seemed to stop working. I'm sure it would have come through for me eventually but I was switched to lexapro so I'm hoping this works as well as citalopram has in the past."

Debs21uk (taken for 10 years or more) October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I am currently taking 30mg of this drug for depression and have found it to be very beneficial. The first few weeks are very difficult and it can be tricky to find the correct dosage. As this is the second incidence of depression I now need to take the drug now for 1.5-2 years, and so far it has been 1.25 years, although after that I will probably then remain on a maintenance dose. The negative aspects that I have experienced are difficulty with orgasm, slightly drier mouth and eyes, and gas, but compared to the effects of the illness of depression, these are minor issues, and I now lead a happy and fulfilling life thanks to this drug."

Boo! October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Have been on this for 8 days now , still struggling to eat ( having to force myself ) , only getting 3 hours sleep and they blooming lucid dreams and hands and head always hot when in bed , spaced out a bit but do feel a little calmer just really wish the side effects would go away , giving it another 6 days then I'll need to stop so hopefully they go away .....just my experience tho please don't let it affect yours they are worth a try"

Gtr76 October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Ive always been a moody person, but since having my 2nd child it had become a whole new animal. PMDD had left me feeling very lonely, helpless and worthless, I was tired of hearing myself apologize again for my awful behaviour during those last 2 weeks of my cycle, only to find myself back there 2 weeks later, My kids were suffering, my relationhip was too and At my lowest during my cycle, I was starting to plan my suicide. I went to my doctor, sure he would just brush me off, thinking it was just you know, slamming cupboards and sore boobs (if only!!) I went during my down weeks so he could see the state I was in, I was so desperate for relief. Started Celexa that day and its changed my life, if you have PMDD you must try this."

Kkmalay (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've never been on a daily medicine for anxiety and was previously managing via eastern medicine (acupuncture/chinese herbs). My anxiety never completely went away but those methods prevented full blown panic attacks most of the time. My attacks started to evolve in the last 6 months and I finally talked to my doctor about it. She prescribed Celexa 20mg per day, once a day. It's changed my life. I hadn't realize how withdrawn I'd become from the fear of anxiety and panic. I had some mild nausea in the first 2 weeks but nothing serious. She also prescribed Hydroxyzine for panic attacks which is an old school sedative in the anti-histamine family. I haven't had an attack since I started the Celexa but the Hydroxyzine is a great sleep aide."

BeeLoon October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "As you get older you take more knocks and psychological blows to your belief system and at 33 ( had depression all my life didn't really care lived with it long enough and I felt it kept me grounded ) I started to lose control of my thinking and my depression became overwhelming. Hopelessness and pointlessness in living became a 24 hour battle. I was suicidal and anxiety and constant panic attacks were causing me to lose belief in any sort of future. My dad died because of depression and drug /alcohol misuse. The last thing I wanted was to take medication for it. But it was either go to the doctor or die. 8 months on 40mg a day depression is under control and without doubt I'm learning to live again thanks to these."

Dingusjon October 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "After 13 years of untreated depression, anxiety and panic attacks I decided to finally ask for help. That came in the form of 10mg Citalopram for the first week, 20mg for another month and boosted up to 30mg for the next few months. In that time I had nothing but bad side effects. Instead of feeling depressed and sad I just got grumpy and mad, I had trouble with my sex drive/performance and the insomnia was ridiculous. My partner told me I had changed since starting the medication. I have since come off all medication and living happily without."

Luke B (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2016