User Reviews for Citalopram (Page 9)

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 12 reviews 44 medications

Hot Flashes 4 reviews 19 medications

Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1192 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Citalopram

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on 40MG of citalopram for 6 years. I am a nurse. I had really bad anxiety where I couldn't even leave my house. Right away I started to feel a release. The best way I could describe it was that I didn't feel constantly on edge anymore. I have been very drowsy pretty much the whole 6 years I've been on citalopram. I'm going to try cutting back my dosage to 20 MG eventually here and see how I manage on it. I have tried other SSRI's that have made me more anxious and each medication effects each person differently so remember that! While citalopram works for me it may make someone else's anxiety worse. Too much serotonin in the body causes anxiety so it's all about finding the correct balance."

AnxietyG (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I am new to this world of taking an antidepressant, specifically Citalopram. I was prescribed 10 mg. I started with 5mg for 4 days to see how I would respond per psych NP's orders. I am small in stature and under 100 lbs. I had a succession of traumatic and stressful major life events occur all in a matter of 6 months. The result has led me to have debilitating anxiety and panic attacks. I know I have lived with undiagnosed mild depression and OCD tendencies and anxiety for fear of being labeled but these last months broke me. I take Ativan .5 to 1 mg as needed only for sleep. I am going on 2 weeks of Citalopram at 10 mg and am noticing small improvements. Does anyone have any experiences similar to mine? Suggestions or input appreciated."

Latingirl123 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "This is VERY tricky to evaluate. My new doc raved about as it had helped her. "They should pipe it right into the water supply!" She squealed. Well... I would rather be clear and sad, than in a zombie-twilight world. 20mg after 2 weeks and I am fed up. Utterly impossible to climax and have an orgasm. And believe me-I tried! 2nd-My girlfriend noticed that I completely stopped playing and practicing guitar! And I am a pro. It's just too dangerous of a mind drug, and perhaps only suitable in extreme situations like death of a family member. Certainly not for just being in a rut, sadness or the blues. It will just zombie you out. Glad I experienced it. Time to move on with life. Without a brain fog chemical. Orgasms are a sign of life"

Mike Pulse February 27, 2016

For Depression: "Celexa was prescribed for my Mom (83). She had horrible side effects. Shaking hands, tight shoulders/muscles, lack of appetite, nausea, tiredness and trouble sleeping. She has switched to Prozac but is having side effects from discontinuing it. Extreme agitation and weepiness. She enjoys knitting and reading and could not do either with the shaking in her hands."

Jeaniebug February 26, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on 10 mg for five days. First day I had the shakes n cold n hot , second day I was lil better the shakes stop but didn't eat much , third day I ate two meals n moved around n threw up that night , fourth day I ate like no other but had diarrhea , fifth day lil out of it , yawning a lot yes , sometimes it hard to sleep then others , heart rate lil high at times too but I'm I hope I'll be OK I'm only 5 foot n weighs 109 pounds I dont do well with meds."

Lilshorty88 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Really have to give it time! I was stuck in a constant state of anxiety and this plus the combination of klonopin has really given my life back. I strongly encourage help if you need it, anxiety is very real and very scary but there is help available! I am unique that I take 30mg daily but it seems like the right dose for me. To really see effects of this medication you must find the correct dose and give anywhere from 4-8 weeks for full effects. There is hope for anyone out there."

kly78 February 24, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Celexa for over 15 years. I tolerated it very well. I found that 20mgs kept me stable, but I still have episodes of anxiety every now and then. Sometimes I can go years without needing an antianxiety medication, and sometimes I need it until my flare up passes. I'll be on Celexa for life. Anyone else been on it that long?"

Lifer74 February 21, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "The citalopram finally made me start feeling less depressed. I was put on a low dose of 10mg daily along with bupropion. They work really well together, but sadly I couldn't afford to keep taking the bupropion."

bnbloomi76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "Out of the blue in my mid 30's, started having severe panic attacks. This was after two kids so I felt that it could have been a hormone imbalance. When they got worse I was prescribed Celexa which worked fabulously for me. After a year, I decided I did not want to be on it and weaned myself off of it going from 10 mg to 5 mg to none. It is when you stop taking it that you experience some very funky effects. I felt like I had "aftershocks" going on in my head for years - it is so hard to explain the sensation but it was not pleasant. For those taking this medication for a long period of time please be careful if you go off it. Periodically the sensations come back after 20 years of being off of it."

BabsJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I used Celexa and it was rough. I then went and looked at all the side effects and realized that THE ANXIETY IT WAS TREATING WAS ALSO A SIDE EFFECT. I then in a last ditch effort went to a chiropractor and he changed my life. He explained HOW CHIROPRACTIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NECK AND BACK PAIN. He explained that stress is necessary to live and is a good thing! Our issue with stress is that our body isn't adapting properly to the stress. Chiropractors help our nervous system flow properly so we don't need drugs by removing subluxations. (A subluxation is an interference in the brain body connection) If there is something you could do so you wouldn't have to deal with stress, would you? See a subluxation based chiropractor!"

ImBlue February 17, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I am on day 7 of citalopram and so far so good. I take it at night to avoid any nasty side effects, which I haven't experienced as off yet. I have suffered severe panic attacks for year's and experience bouts of depression from time to time. I am currently taking 3 meds, propranolol, limotrigine and citalopram, which are working well. My propranolol is my saving grace which I couldn't live without, but unfortunately it doesn't work well for my anxiety and stress. I am currently awaiting an appointment with the mental health services to change the limotrigine to something more calming for when a panic attack begins. I would honestly say that I am not having any nasty side effects or down periods so far with citalopram."

Sue1975 February 15, 2016

For Depression: "I have been on citolapram for a number of years (since 2011?). I have had nothing but positive things to say when I am on the medication. I was diagnosed with depression in the spring of 2009, and tried a few different anti-depressants. Each one had some scary effects. I was placed on citolopram after the third anti-depressant didn't work and it has been good. I still have anxiety attacks on occasion but overall am stable and healthy and learning other coping skills for my anxiety and depression. Missing doses though leads to increased anxiety (duh!), nausea, dizziness, racing heart, trouble sleeping, irritability and some disorientation. Overall I am thankful for citolopram."

CR1989 February 15, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "This med has helped me (male, 50) considerably to deal with depression and panic attacks. I experienced the usual side effects of night sweating and still have some occasional sweaty palms and some yawning. After beginning, my depression initially got worse, but 8 weeks later I feel better-balanced. I switched to taking the med after dinner. I tried 40mg with no additional benefits, only more tired, then back to 20mg. It does take several weeks to reach effectiveness, so be patient if you don't feel immediate improvement."

g one (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was put on 10mg to begin with, and I did suffer mild side effects. I had nausea and drowsiness for the first two days and these stopped when I starting taking the pill at night. However when I took it at night I had insomnia, tight chest and felt my heart pounding a lot. I was worried at first but this passed after another couple days. By day 5 I felt like my old self, no side effects and when in stressful situation, no symptoms of anxiety which was great. I went up to 20mg on day 9 and still felt great, with no side effects when upping the dose. Hope this helps those of you about to start Citalopram. Just stick with it, ride the first wave and you will be fine :) x"

AuroraBor February 13, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have taken this med for 5 yrs the problem is getting off this medicine. It's has been 2 weeks since my last pill. My side effect is I feel like I am floating on a cloud. I can not cover my head fast enough because I get disoriented and dizzy. Any one have this kind of reaction after stopping this medicine and if so how log did it last"

Any answers February 12, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I would recommend Citolopram to anyone struggling with anxiety and depression. After a recent low patch I was in a terrible state... Non stop crying and waking up with a feeling of doom and panic every day. My body was so full of adrenaline and tension it was awful, impossible to live with. When you start taking Citalopram there are some nasty side effects for the first 2-3 weeks... Difficulty sleeping, feeling a bit sick and very tense. But I have to stress that this does stop after a few weeks... And then you start feeling better. Sooooo much better. It is amazing how positive you will feel. I have more get up and go and feel my sparkle coming back. I'm going to the gym regularly, weeks ago I struggled to walk out the door. Stick with it!"

Cathers852 February 11, 2016

For Depression: "This medicine not only created more tension and worry for me whilst doing an assignment the night before, but I wasn't panicking which I naturally should be. This drug has made me forget certain aspects in life which I dread, this drug makes you happy externally, but not physically or mentally or emotionally. This drug has hindered my activities in life in general and I'm completely coming off all drugs and finding my true self now. I was actually glad the way I was in life previously. Peace."

MrAnonymousMe (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Started taking Celexa when I experienced depression and anxiety. It works well, and also helps my PMDD. I tried other antidepressants but would recommend Celexa because it really helps me function. I give this med a 9 because sometimes I need to take two 10 mg tablets to give me a little extra boost. Overall though this med is excellent."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 9, 2016

For Depression: "I've been taking 20mg of citalopram for over 3 months now and I notice quite a difference in my depression. 3 months ago I was crying almost everyday, often multiple times a day. I had no motivation, was not enjoying life and wanted it to be over. Now I no longer cry for no reason, have more motivation and am enjoying life a lot more. Some days I still feel depressed but I have way more good days than bad days which is great. I haven't noticed any side effects, although sometimes I feel like I am almost "too happy". I guess I haven't been eating as much either but I would consider that a good thing as I was eating my emotions previously."

bthroop (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started Citalopram to treat GAD and Major Depressive Disorder. I've now been on it for 3 years. I took a week off school and don't really remember any major side effects at the time. It was my first anti-depressant and made a pretty big difference. Definitely helped with my anxiety and low moods and suicidal thoughts. Bumped up my dosage a few times and I've been on 40mg for about a year now. However, loads of symptoms are still present, mental fogginess, lack of motivation/concentration, near constant fatique, lack of emotion for long periods until I reach a breakdown state of panic. Panic attacks around biweekly, which is improved from 3 years ago, but much worse than it's been in a long time. Switching to a new medication this week."

snubx (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have been taken citalopram since I'm 19 years old, after an acute life event. I started with 20mg a day po which helped me for over 1 year. After 1 year I felt that my depression is coming back so I talked to my physician and we increased the daily dose to 40mg po. I am now taking this medication for over 6 years and for me its the one and only medication that helps. Yes I have had some side effects like loosing weight (15 pounds) trouble sleeping (5-6 h) a day max. and insomnia. But still I can finally start living my normal life which I could not do without this medication. I work as a Rn in a ED and see a lot of patients with depression, ptsd (like me) or other problems who don't take any medications, which I would not recommend..."

Julesrn February 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've had generalized anxiety disorder for about 3 years,I had it under control until 8 months ago, stressing about money and school. My anxiety has been horrible, feeling like I'm dying all the time, thinking I'm having a heart attack, feeling so confused and lost, I've hit rock bottom. I went to the Dr and I was prescribed Prozac 40 mg I ended up in the ER because dosage was too high. The Dr then prescribed me citalopram 20mg which I have not taken. I am very fearful of medications now, I wont even take Tylenol. I read reviews that its great and the worst medication, I'm very confused now, I've tried dealing for mnths on my own trying herbal teas and vitamins, Nothing seems to help me...I don't know what else to do I can't go on living like this"

sweetness09 February 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I woke up.from the absolute craziest dream I've ever had...FREAKING OUT...COULD NOT BREATH, AND THOUGHT I WAS DIEING...I immediately called ppl in my family that have been on antidepressants, and they said just give it time, the side effects will go away...so I continued to take it...today is day 14, I am more nervous and depressed still...I have NO emotion, my head hurts constantly, STILL have no balance...I think my doctor WRONGLY prescribed me something I DIDN'T need, that COMPLETELY ruins with you (when you don't really need it ) I'm severely annoyed...stopping my med tomorrow and flushing the rest of my pills...I'm sooo disgusted"

Lindsay d February 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've had GAD w severe panic attacks for 16 years. I've been on just about every combo out there. Celexa daily w xanax as needed works for me. 6 yrs ago I was up to 40mg. I was a zombie. No laughing, no crying, emotionless. I told my doc I wanted off completely. I somehow managed for 4 years w only my xanax. Then came a stressful move. Out comes my daily anxiety rearing its ugly head. Went back on just 10mg for 6 mths. Worked great. Now I'm in some seriously stressful times and attacks are daily, debilitating, and exhausting. Went back on 20mg. I try to do everything as naturally as possible, without relying on pills, but I'm not an idiot. Sometimes you just need a bit more. Find the right dose for you and this stuff can work wonders."

KJ12345 February 4, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started Celexa after trying many other meds for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I can't begin to say how much I love it. It' truly has given me a life I never knew. I feel so much better and things now roll off instead of driving me insane! Best decision I ever made. Really need to give it a good two months. That's when I really noticed the change."

Tis2016 February 2, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 10 11 ...Next