User Reviews for Black cohosh

Herbal Supplementation
4.5

Reviews for Black cohosh

Ksgal May 7, 2021

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I tried Black Cohosh after four different hormonal therapy therapies caused severe heart palpitations and other negative side effects. I don't recall how long I've been taking it but estimate it to be 12+ months. Recent lab work indicated severe inflammation of my liver. Per discussion with a new physician and research I now believe this herbal supplement to be the cause as well as why I've been experiencing headaches, weight gain, severe tiredness and brain fog. I stopped taking it a week ago and already feel much better. I so wish I could have figured out the cause earlier as I haven't felt well for the past year. Black Cohash did eliminate the hot flashes for me but not worth the other side effects. My doctor did lecture me on taking supplements that are not FDA approved - lesson learned.”

Andrea · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2021

Menopause Support (black cohosh) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Perfect once u can get passed the diarrhoea which doesn't last. Hot flushes have gone which is good as I work nights. I'm a little bit bloated but can deal with that.”

Nette54 · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2021

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I had a hysterectomy at 48 and for the first couple of years after the surgery I suffered mild menopausal symptoms. For a year now the hot flashes have been so intense and emotionally, I occasionally experience overwhelming sadness. Because of my health concerns regarding HRT therapy, I decided to try an herbal supplement containing Black Cohosh. I took two capsules before bedtime as directed. The next day I was fine. I again took two at bedtime, however, the second day was much different. I was extremely bloated and experienced mild diarrhea and “crazy” flatulence! I honestly don’t believe I have ever experienced so much gas in my life! I’m so happy that I didn’t have to go anywhere. Black Cohosh is no longer an option for me. Sadly, I’ll just have to soldier through this challenging period called menopause.”

Emily · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I had horrible side effect symptoms from black cohosh ! Bloating, farting , feeling like I needed to poop all the time, I even accidentally sharted my pants! My breasts were sore and a little bit of blood came out of my vagina.”

Bette · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I began taking black cohosh about 2 months ago for hot flashes. I just stopped taking it today. I have figured out that it must be the black cohosh making me sick. At one point I thought I had covid19!! I was tested and was negative. I have been suffering from cramps , diarrhea, headache, constipation, rash, nausea, Extreme feeling of heaviness, dizziness, and weight gain! I had no idea black cohosh had horrible side effects for many. I’ll take the hot flashes any day over these side effects. I am probably going to go back on an estrogen patch or cream. I came off of the patch about 4 years ago for safety and health reasons.”

Nicky · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I have been taking black Cohosh for 6 months now it’s the best thing ever for me no more hot flushes no more mood swings and definitely no side effects for me it has taking me back before I started the menopause I highly recommend this herbal remedy it has made me feel normal again I told my doctor I was taking this and he said it was good and I’m lucky as it only works for 30% of women and I’m definitely one of them ”

Oldbag October 28, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I'm looking at these comments as have a bloated heavy abdomen since starting b.c. I regret taking it this as I think maybe its that thats making me feel so ugly. I have not eaten more but I have put on weight. So I am definitely getting off it and off to see my gyno for HRT. Sod the natural spenny route. The sites I found this cure for hot flushes certainly did not mention the bloated, heavy, fart making effects that black cohosh has. If I wasn't feeling depressed before taking this I certainly am now!!! All the best to you from a 55 year old bag.”

Cee · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I took one pill and within an hour, I felt a heaviness, upset stomach and racing heart. I had to lay down for an hour to get the racing heart to pass. It has been a few hours since I took it and I am still running to the bathroom and I have a horrible taste in my mouth. I won't take another pill. I'd rather suffer from hot flashes!”

Anonymous October 3, 2011

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I started taking Black Cohosh for Postmenopausal Symptoms, due to Breast Cancer scare from taking prescription hormone replacement therapy and it has worked great for me. Hot flashes are rare now and my mood has changed for the better. I think it wonderful and it's Natural!”

Notsosweatynow · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I had heard about black cohosh as an alternative medication for hot flashes and night sweats, which I had begun having in September of this year. It is now early November, and I have not had one hot flash or one sweaty night. I have had no adverse side effects from this either and HIGHLY recommend it!”

Mami · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 18, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Doctor recommended black cohosh use for menopause. Did not say it would interact with bp meds metropolol. Found interactions myself after 2 yrs usage! Lots of pain on right upper quadrant, stomach, under ribs in front and back. Doctors said it was pulled muscle. Stopped taking black cohosh and started natural liver cleanse. ALL DOCTORS should know this natural supplement causes liver problems!”

Anonymous November 3, 2009

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I started taking Black Cohosh to relieve hot flashes and night sweats. Within about 12 hours after taking my first dose I felt dizzy and nauseas. It has taken me about 5 days to link it to Black Cohosh.”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I am 48 years old and hitting menopause. I started taking 40 mg of black cohosh daily about 3 weeks or so ago and while I have not noticed a considerable improvement in my hot flashes, I have noticed an improved mindset. I was depressed and stressed before taking this and I'd say within a week I felt better. The only ill effects I notice are a dry mouth and some constipation but I feel much better overall.”

Leah · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I started taking black cohosh for hot flashes and night sweats as recommended by my doctor. I’m about 1 month in and the side effects are headaches, cramps, palpitations, increase blood pressure and dizziness. I have stopped taking it and will suffer with the hot flashes.... I do not recommend it at all.”

Noo September 26, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Right I’ve just gone full blown menopause Because no one would listen for last two years Why can't it be made easier What to take or not to take. I am taking HRT, Vit d, Vit c, b12, iron, magnesium, happy pills now, so should I add black colash, evening primrose, vit k, How much and what is correct”

P · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I’m taking black cohosh in the Estroven form for about 5 days for Peri menopause irritability and starting of night sweats . Yesterday I began to have extreme cramping bloating and gas. I couldn’t understand why because since juicing celery everyday 4 months in all of my gastric problems went away completely. Today is the second day of this unexplained gas cramping bloating and pain, although it’s better than yesterday, I am thinking it is very likely this medicine. Plus I also feel it’s messing with my psyche I’m much more sensitive and subdued and that’s not me. I’m going to stop this right away and see if I get better. Will let you know.”

tst · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2012

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I get the dried organic root from Mountain Rose Herbs. I put about two heaping tablespoons in a tea strainer, pour boiling, hot water over it in a cup, cover the cup and steep for 15 minutes. The tea is very bitter but my hot flashes are all but gone. They went away almost instantly and my mood has dramatically improved. Would highly recommend this to anyone. No headaches, no side effects, drink 2 cups per day.”

Huckleberries October 26, 2020

For Herbal Supplementation: “I have been taking 40mg of black cohosh for two months. It has worked very well for night sweats and slight moodiness. The only side effect could be weight gain. I am up a couple of pounds with no changes other than taking black cohosh. However the weight gain could just be menopause. I did try a stronger dose at first, 940mg because that is all I could find. Within a month I had severe dizziness so I went down to my current dosage. Seems to be working just fine. To me this is a life saver.”

pattym October 3, 2011

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I have only taken the supplement for 1 day and I was wondering about the headache and lightheadeness. But my sweats have been reduced tremendously. I went from 1 every other hour to 4 in one day with just taking morning and night pill. I am so happy to finally find something to help with this menopause. I'll take an Advil and get rid of the headache. I'm satisfied.”

ItsMeInRM · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2017

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I've just gone though a very painful week in the hospital, due to pancreatitis caused by Black Cohosh. It had been recommended to me by my GP as a herbal product that would help with premenopausal symptoms. I bought a bottle and I took it daily for over two months before started experiencing mild abdominal pain similar to cramping from your period. Last week I woke up in excruciating pain and was sent to the ER. After ruling out gall stones, ruptured cyst, or appendicitis, they did surgery and finally concluded pancreatitis. I had a very painful week-long hospital stay followed by another week out of work for recovery. I would not recommend anyone takes this herbal supplement, EVER. Even under your doctors care.”

Mina · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 14, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I have used back cohosh for more than a year after stopping hormone therapy for my hot flashes. It has been very helpful and without any side effects. Anytime I have not taken it my hot flashes starts within a couple of days. I take 2 pills 40 mg each per day. I would recommend black cohosh and have used two different brands so far as I couldn't find the first one anymore!”

Florida gal Palm trees October 9, 2014

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I take black cohosh as Remifemin but I don't take it twice a day as suggested. I wear the low dosage of Estrivill. Estogen. Patch. That wasn't enough so instead of increasing it I take black cohosh one 20 milligram every other day, I don't take it every day. It seems like my body only requires a pick me up, which every 2 days I take it. Works that way for me. Hot flashes gone.”

ltlebit77 · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2018

For Herbal Supplementation: “My dr prescribed black cohosh due to low libido (I'm 59 yrs young). I'm 1 of the rare women who's not had menopausal issues such as moodiness, hot flashes, night sweats etc. I've been taking it almost 2 weeks now & overall I feel good with no side effects. Currently, I would recommend it but being sure to take it as prescribed. It'll be few more days til I can see my bf, I'll really know then how it works for libido!”

Coach · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2020

For Herbal Supplementation: “I started black cohosh 1 week ago for perimenopause and just realized, after thinking I was experiencing a kidney infection, or maybe even about to pass a stone, that it is from this supplement! I've never had any issues with either my entire life, but something has been very wrong. Very nauseous, daily throbbing headaches, and extremely bloated! I am so thankful something told me to look this up! In the trash they shall go!!!!”

Wenjenaz January 29, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Took one pill for the first time to treat hot flashes and night sweats. While I haven't had any hot flashes today, I have had a headache ALL day and one bout of dizziness. I overall feel tired and like I have lead in my shoes. I don't think it's worth the trade off.”

BNicole0123 · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I started taking this supplement because I was placed on Orilissa which is a medication for endometriosis that sends you body into menopause. Since taking it with my medicine my cycle started and has been going for 7 days now and I am at just so upset because they don't put that on the bottle that it can be a side effect...I don't recommend this for anyone.”

Babs R April 6, 2017

For Herbal Supplementation: “I took one pill to help with my Hot Flashes. It has been 5 days sinceI took the pill and ever since I have been dealing with painful diarrhea w/ a lot of blood in my stool. been to the emergency room for this and they determined that it was from this one pill. my Dr. has put me on famotidine to help relieve my issue. 5 days in and I'm still passing everything I eat within a half an hour of eating. been absolutely miserable. Please beware not only am I out the $7 for the pills but also the cost of the Emergency care visit, and lab cost for the blood work but also missed work due to it.”

mellogrrl65 October 18, 2015

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I was having bad hot flashes and gave this a try. 40 mg 3x's a day, then down to one a day within one week. I feel a lot better, less grumpy. Just make sure if you're going to take it, check drug interaction.”

More about black cohosh