User Reviews for Atomoxetine to treat ADHD (Page 9)

Also known as: Strattera

Atomoxetine Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Atomoxetine

Innattentinve ADHD July 4, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This drug works mildly, not as well as stimulant medications like adderall. Unfortonately while it mildly boosted concentration and motivation it severely increased my anxiety, ,heart rate, and tremors. Stimulant medications actually decreased my natural tremors. My pupils were always dialated as well. To me this drug is a stimulant like super caffeine not a medicational stimulant.”

MrSixNineGod · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “My experience with this drug is a bitter sweet one. However, the bitter side to it overpowers the sweet by LONG SHOT. Since I was a kid, I've had behavioral issues and it wasn't until I was in my mid teens that they began to truly effect my way of life and my relationships with those around me. I had been taking Bupropion in combination with Sertraline and had no serious problem or complaints. However, when I started to wean off of the Sertral and began taking the Strattera, I began to get irritated and just downright pissed off for no apparent reason. The slightest things set me off, and it's only gotten worse with increased dosage. I'm gonna stop taking it all together. Screw a bunch of this unprovoked anger stuff. It helps no one.”

Anonymous June 17, 2016

“i have been taking strattera or atomoxetine for about 7 years now. i used to have to skip school because i would wake up and eat and take the pill and while later throw up and feel sick for the whole day. i dealt with this for a year or two. after a change in dosage things got better, it does seem to help me concentrate. but now i'm constantly getting sick. I can barely eat without getting sick. As my body is maturing the pill seems to start having bad reactions again. Im not sure the benefit outweighs the issues, i cant stand being sick. After 7 years of messing with this drug to try to get it to work properly I've decided to switch.”

Wildflower18 May 30, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I'm giving it a 5 for the moment. I just started it last week and it looks like I'll have to commit at least 2-3 months to see if it really helps. The first week, I was on 25mg and I could feel the change in productivity and lack of procrastination. However, when talking to people, I almost felt like I was over focusing which resulted in not hearing what they were saying at all. I did have a couple of days of facial flushing and water retention. Today I started 60mg and I haven't been as lethargic and tired in a long time! I got hardly anything done. My eyes were burning because I just wanted to sleep. I felt down on myself for being so lazy.”

Nicknasf May 23, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Strattera was like water through my system, dirty water; did nothing except give me terrible distress: Stomach aches, terrible constipation, nausea, constant dry heaves, and, at last, vomiting that almost had me fail my last school semester. Oh, did I mention the irritability at all the side effects? Had to quit cold turkey”

cnlyoc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2016

“I have ADD (Not hyperactive though) I was started on 18mg for a month, then 40mg for a month, now 60mg. I have anxiety & am also on valdoxane. I think the reason some people may become Ill on the straterra is because they are starting on too high a dosage & also not staying on the dosage long enough before upping it (a month seems perfect). I have felt ill for 5min a few days after upping dose but nothing 2 bad. Also taking it in morning means u won't stay up at night. I think it shouldn't be taken in the evenings. It helps my memory, concentration & cognitive abilities. Also lessens my physical anxiety symptoms greatly (after the firstfw days of raised anxiety when I first started it) & it actually takes away my constant fatigue”

Mom of too many kids times 100 May 14, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have been taking Straterra for 2 years now! Side effects are awful at the beginning and last 6-8 weeks! I feel normal now and I don't have the irratability I had on other medicines. I think it depends on the person.”

drwizard · Taken for 10 years or more May 2, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “great drug with few if any side effects.... especially in adults.”

M Ricci April 27, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “My Doctor put me on basically the fastest titration. 40mg for 4 days then 80mg after that. The first 4 days on 40mg were awful. The worst of the side effects being insomnia. I had to call out of the work for the a few days to catch up on sleep. I could not fall asleep at ALL. The Doc prescribed Trazadone to sleep. That helped after being sleeped deprived for a few days. I've heard of people upping their dose and having the side effects lessen and positive side effects increased. WRONG. First day on 80mg I had crippling nausea, body aches, massive headache, off the chart irritability, burning urination (with white discharge), and thoughts of SUICIDE. No joke. I've read of people having this happen them but it's a rare side effect.”

Ther314 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Diagnosed with ADD this year, I initially wanted to go without medications. Being a senior in college I have deadlines, and I noticed my grades suffering significantly. I decided to give medications a try. My doctor prescribed a 6-wk starter pack of Strattera (25-80mg). I noticed a difference in attentiveness but after week 4 I felt lethargic, unmotivated, sad, impatient, VERY irritable, and depressed. I didn't go to class, didn't turn in homework and my grades took a deeper dive in that month. My psychiatrist then prescribed Vyvanse (30mg). I have been on it for a month and it helps ME stay focused without losing sleep and decreasing my appetite, best of all my grades are improving! My worse side effect is dry mouth. Hope this helps(:”

KylaJoy April 14, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have had ADD for several years now (I'm 24). I was taking adderall for a while but it flared up my anxiety. I am now prescribed Strattera, and so far, no good. I'm only on day 3, but I feel absolutely exhausted and irritable. Considering giving up on it because it's the end of the school semester and I can't afford to feel this tired with all the work I have to do.”

Anonj26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have never been diagnosed with add or adhd but was having trouble concentrating. I approached my doctor and he prescribed this drug. It worked perfectly. I no longer have problems paying attention and am doing extremely well in school. My inattention did not return after I stopped this medication.”

Michelle1990 · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2016

“Ive been on strattera for 5 days now, 40mg in the morning and 200mg of wellbutrin sr 2x day for depression. So far I think for me its been good. Only side effects are tiredness during the day, headaches, and loss of appetite. I believe the worst of the side effects happen in the first month of use so to id like to try 80mg in a month to see how i do on that amount. More irritable at times threw out the day but since I know that can be a side effect I try to control my mood when I notice it becoming bad. Ive not taken it on its own so i dont know if thats why I am doing good on it, wellbutrin and strattera together but so far so good.”

Wav1981 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 29, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have been taking stratter for 3months now ! I'm more tired when I take it bad I'm assuming gas pains but I don't care for it !”

18 year old girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 29, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I was on Adderall and that worked amazingly!! But I was paranoid and depressed which effected me so much I had to switch. I switched to strattera and it helped! Then it started to not make a difference so I got upped to 100mgs. I have to eat right after or else I become very ill(nauseous).”

MA, Internal Medicine · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Hey, I'm a 20 y/o Medical Assistant (Internal Medicine), After being on Strattera for about 2 months, and even though I complain about my pts not battling through side affects to achieve benefit, I as well, failed to reach the finish line. I Re-Starting Strattera 4 months later, I think I finally figured out why this medicine is so difficult for me. I have come to realize that this medication is relatively a "Shock Collar" more or less. Strattera doesn't actually "Help" my symptoms but yet, "Shocks me" (Punishes me) when my symptoms show through. Every time I get distracted, or overly excited, start mono-logging thoughts in my head, etc. the side affects flare up. I dont know if this is true for everyone, but it is what i have noticed.”

15yrOldBoy · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “while taking strattera it didn't really help with my ADHD but it did cause unwanted nausea and once I reached my target 80mg dose I began to get extremely hot then started to sweat a lot and finally threw up the strattera.”

Zizek · Taken for less than 1 month February 29, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Strattera has proved to be quite beneficial for my cognitive performance. It has increased my memory, attention and organization of thinking. The side effects I've had have been nausea and trouble sleeping but as I keep taking it in sure it will subside more. I currently take 40 mg and working up to 80 mg.”

A.J. cham February 16, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Strattera made me tired during the day and kept me awake at night. It was miserable at night. I took it for 3 months before I couldn't take it anymore. Now I take 200 mg of wellbutrin twice daily and that seems to help quite a bit with my moral and the way I view myself in the world. Honestly the strattera made a zombie out of me.”

Rachael702 February 10, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Tried Strattera for ADHD, because I wanted to try a non-stimulant. Within about a week, I was depressed and crying over the littlest things. It was NOT for me. Also diagnosed with anxiety, Zoloft mellowed me out, but too much so, I felt apathetic and gained weight. Tried wellbutrin and became violently sick (throwing up.) Adderall XR I didn't like, just felt high and tweaky. Finally found relief in a combination of Vyvanse 30-40mg and Lamictal 150mg. Truly life changing, along with gluten/dairy free low sugar diet, and good sleep.”

Freaked mother in De. February 8, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have a now 10 yo son that was diagnosed with ADD & ADHD when he was 7. His Dr. has put him on all different types of meds since. The only one we found that seemed to work for him, was Vyvanse, well now he's on Strattera 18 MG and I had to rush him to the ER because he was complaining about his chest bothering him, and I mean really bad. They said he was fine, besides his heart rate,which was really really high, but they didn't see anything wrong. I mentioned he was on Strattera, and they said that the meds can be a big part of it. I took him off of it for the next two days, and he was fine. Started him back on it, and a week later, (2/6/16) he was having pains in his chest again, so I've been trying to get a hold of his Dr to stop it.”

Teri Mc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 3, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “My son who is 12 has been on this medication now for about 6 months. 40 mg a day. It does absolutely nothing for him. The Dr tried upping his dose to 50mg and he started having major mood swings, anxiety and depression. Ritalin, Concerta, Vyvanse we have tried those too but the side effects were too much for him to handle. I'm at a loss what to do now. No more meds I guess?”

Scarecrow21978 February 2, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “The first month on Strattera, I did not feel well. It made me tired and grumpy. Then, after it stopped being a nuisance, it started being nothing. No help, ZERO. Waste of time, money and liver. I quit cold turkey after my 6th month script ran out. Too expensive to continue paying a lot of money for ZERO. (I no longer had the same insurance that had a copay. I do not know how much it would have cost with my new insurance).”

Zac1995 February 2, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “In the 6th grade I missed two consecutive days, then took my pill as I would any other day. Throughout the day I felt terrible and eventually I went to the nurse. She took my heart rate and said it would've been okay if I had just sprinted a mile, but I had been sitting in class. She checked again 10 minutes later and my heart rate was slower than it should have been at a resting state. She called my parents and I went to the doctor immediately. I had to be hooked up to machines and monitored. The nurse said I was lucky not to have a heart attack that day. I've been scared of Stratera/Adderall/Ritalin ever since.”

wondering why? · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2016

Strattera (atomoxetine): “My daughter 7 years old, prescribed strattera 20 mg. once a day. I looked in here to see what happened if she didn't take it when she doesn't have school. it doesn't make sense to me, that if it takes 2 weeks to get into the system (body) then how is it okay to skip 2 days of taking it. wouldn't she have side affects &/or take a few days after starting it again to be back to normal.”