User Reviews for Abilify (Page 10)

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 19 reviews 7 medications

Bipolar Disorder 198 reviews 28 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 574 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression "It worked ok for a short while but I gained 30 lbs in a year. Was hungry all the time."

nightfever57 March 8, 2015

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Desperately trying to get back on Abilify, but insurance is awful. My suicidal thoughts are back. The Abilify balanced me out and I could sleep while on it. (It's almost 5am, and I haven't slept yet.)"

Izzy Tempe (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2015

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Don't let others' bad experiences prevent you from trying this medication. It is strong, yes, and it will affect the chemical balance in your brain and shouldn't be taken lightly, but I'm an example of it working. I used to have bouts of crying randomly, seriously depressed, no will to do much of anything. I started this, kept with it through the side effects and it has been a life changer with my antidepressant. I still feel, but less intensely/exaggerated. It keeps me level headed generally. The first week I felt a little nauseated, and it does increase appetite, but if you don't overeat, you won't gain weight with this medicine."

the.coochie February 11, 2015

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Taking Abilify greatly improved my mood, anxiety and depression. However approximately 2 months into treatment I started having severe headaches, face and lips swelled also breast tenderness and warm to touch. Today I decided to discontinue the medication. Over all it's a very good medication, I just can't take it."

shonest8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Ability 2 mg at first then 5 mg & 10 mg gained weight in matter of 2 months. Yes it was working, but I gained weight back I had lost & then some. It's second to prednisone! I've never been 200 lbs & may get 180's. So now I'm back depressed! My insurance would cover until October & then the price would vary. It didn't matter I couldn't pay it."

Litt January 24, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I was in severe depression. Working with a great psychiatrist who had me on Lamictal and Celexa with no change. He added 2.5mg of Abilify and by the 2nd day, I was myself again. Still feel great with good energy level and ability to cope."

cyclinga1a January 22, 2015

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a 28 year old female diagnosed with Bipolar 1, Generalized Anxiety Disoder, Panic disorder and Agoraphobia. A little over a week of taking this medication in conjunction with Lamictal and a benzo (Xanax, Klonopin, or Valium depending upon doc's decision) I felt like a million bucks. I could leave the house. I had a normal sleep schedule. I had energy for the first time in a long time. It was a miracle for me. Stopped taking it and downward I went again. Restarting now and I couldn't be more excited. I will say it made me feel restless and that includes Restless Leg Syndrome types of feelings. But, I would rather be restless and functioning. You have to weigh the pros and cons --for me it is a PRO!"

Chels27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was put on 5 mg of Abilify 2 months ago to add to 60 mg of Prozac that had stopped working. I was afraid at first due to all the negative comments of weight gain. This medication is a blessing. Felt alive again after taking only 2 weeks. My life is better than ever. No weight gain. This medication does increase your appetite but if you don't over eat you will be fine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2014

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Abilify has worked wonders for me. I told my doctor that I just didn't seem to care if I did things or not, and that things just didn't bother me enough to make me want to fix them. She gave me Abilify and even though I had my doubts that anything would work, 3 days after starting taking them, I found myself not wanting to stay still long enough to watch a whole TV show, because I felt there was better things I could be doing. I have been cleaning, rearranging, and packing away things every day since it took effect. I have never been one to want to do stuff. I would do what needed doing, but nothing more. Now, I just want to do it all. Love this stuff."

Rodisms November 25, 2014

254 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Abilify worked pretty good for five years with Prozac. But then I became morbidly obese, with elevated bad lipids and prediabetes. Also, I was constantly in fear of tardive dyskinesia. I no longer take it."

Just Plain Nuts (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2014

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have been struggling with postnatal depression for nine months; really, for the last 2.5 years as I had two babies 19 months apart. I was placed on Wellbutrin which helped with the physical effects but did not improve mood, I was then placed on Lexapro, then Prozac, then Zoloft and although some did improve my mood they all made me so tired I couldn't stay awake. They also made me feel disconnected and like I was observing emotions instead of feeling them. I was cold. Finally my doctor gave me Abilify to use with the Wellbutrin and it has completely changed me whole aspect. I feel like myself, for the first in years. I am awake, working hard, engaged, focused... it's my miracle! Even if it is $800 a month!"

Rake82 November 16, 2014

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "On the good side it only had one side effect for me, and that was a little bit of a increased heart beat I could feel and it made me feel like I was going to a concert or just won a prize, it felt not too bad knowing the other medicines out there for schizophrenia. "

dalo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm a 21 year old female and just diagnosed with Bipolar I. It's been a roller coaster ride especially after gaining 10 pounds in the hospital while taking risperidone and Depakote. I'm still on the Depakote, though I hope to discontinue it as soon as my psychiatrist allows, but I just switched to Abilify. I've got to say, so far I have no complaints. With risperidone I had no "lid" to my hunger. It was endless, and that was quite disappointing. There were many other side effects, but the weight gain has added to my self loathing. Though the painful heart dysrhythmias are a close second. I'm hoping that Abilify makes it possible for me to curb my appetite back to what it used to be as I exercise the 30 pounds I don't need away."

Nocture_Melody November 12, 2014

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Beware Abilify, watch your weight. I stayed on Abilify for 7 months faithfully, hoping that the pros would outweigh the cons. The result? I gained 90 lbs in 7 months and this weight does not "shed" with discontinued use, I'll be working out hard to lose this. I'm only 25."

Psycho :) (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2014

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "My experience with abilify has been great because I no longer have schizophrenia or psychosis. I have been on this medicatiom since 2008 and I have never had any side effects at all, which is brilliant! I also feel so much better since I was diagnosed, like I am a new person."

StarryNight8496 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2014

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This has helped extremely with my bad mood swings and irritability but am having nightmares and waking up multiple time during the night feeling restless."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2014

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "I have had three psychotic breaks, all cannabis related. This medicine helped me control the last one at 20 mg while no other medicine could. The only downside are robot-like hands."

cannabis psychosis October 22, 2014

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have had it all basically. Had a manic episode in 2009, and then a repeat in 2011, but not as severe. I was okay before that had had no problems with anything maybe a little anxiety. Now that I am older and on my own most days I've had some pretty rocky months, and I was concerned and a bit frightened that the depression would rip me up. I was hesitant to try it because I take Ativan during the day. My doctor suggested Abilify. I have bipolar as well and can't take any antidepressants. He told me to start with a quarter for a week, and really thought it wouldn't work. It was a miracle. I then started taking 2mg at night and have been noticing I've been waking up earlier. Doing things that I would hold off till 3pm. Wonderful."

Kenzie444 October 17, 2014

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Agitated State "I was diagnosed with toxic psychosis due to cannabis abuse and this medicine saved my life while no other medicine could end my delusions and paranoia. I am very thankful."

notpsychoticanymore (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been on Abilify for two weeks and my personality has changed drastically. I went from being chilled out and quite okay on Seroquel and Effexor but wanted to try Abilify to combat weight gain. In the two weeks I've been on it I've swung from hypomanic to aggressive and downright selfish. I did things I wouldn't normally do that has hurt my relationship with my partner and I've also been spending like crazy. Probably should stop but will consult psychiatrist first to see what she says."

Valkyrie66 October 15, 2014

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on Abilify (10mg) for the past 3 weeks. It has been very helpful with my psychosis/hallucinations. I have only hallucinated twice in the past 3 weeks. There have been some complications though. I have experience side effects of nausea, light-headedness, being constantly tired, and dizziness. My depression seems to be lightening up every day and that it wonderful."

unicornfairierainbow (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2014

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have social anxiety and depression. However, taking Abilify for about 8 years, I stopped drawing and was extremely drowsy. Had I not also been on Concerta, I would have been asleep the whole time."

ignored by drs, drowsy from abilify (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 7, 2014

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been dealing with depression/major depressive disorder for 10 years. Finally I had enough of the depressive episodes and anxiety. I'm taking Abilify 2mg (AM) and Seroquel 200mg (PM). This is the best I've felt in years. I also haven't gained weight, I did have some dizziness but that lasted about a week, and is now gone. It took about two weeks to start seeing a difference in my mood."

FinallySomethingThatWorks September 29, 2014

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Caused me to feel tired with no affect at all."

SandyBlonde September 18, 2014

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "No effect after 3 months on it."

Dont'StandCloseToMe (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2014