User Reviews for Amoxicillin (Page 7)

Also known as: Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi

Sinusitis 5.1
Summary of Amoxicillin reviews 6.4 278 reviews

Reviews for Amoxicillin

Anon500 January 9, 2017

For Dental Abscess: “I took Amoxicillin twice, for an ear ache and for a tooth ache. Helped both times. No side effects as I took a big load of probiotics (heavy dosing at least every 2 hours...I even took some probiotics at the same time as the antibiotics...counterproductive as antibiotics kill probiotics but it put my mind at ease knowing that I was constantly replenishing the good bacteria in my body even if some of them were getting killed off). I take probiotics and other meds regularly (digestive enzymes, omega 3's, vitamins A-E, etc.) so I've had no problem rebounding from the potential long term effects of antibiotics. Even though I absolutely hate antibiotics, it's the only thing that worked for me with these two conditions.”

The Finisher · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2016

For Bronchitis: “These results I'm reading here are not at all typical. If not for Amoxicillin, I would miss 3 or more days of work due to Bronchitis, but If I start taking it at the first sign of, I miss zero days. If not this, then a Zithromax Z-Pak (azithromycin) works great also.”

Brandi341 December 26, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “Went in to see the doctor for symptoms of bad swollen red tonsils and cringed everytime I swollowed, they gave me 1 dose there and within a few hours my throat was already starting to get better. I am relieved now, nobody wants to deal with this, especially on Christmas!”

David Robison December 24, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “Strep was diagnosed at the 3rd day, and 1st dose of Amoxicillin cleared all the pus. Also had a steroid shot for swelling, but 1 Amox pill and I was 75% back to normal. I never take antibiotics EVER, so I think that really helped the drug kick ultimate germ ass.”

Frequent UTIs · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I've had many bladder infections over the years, to varying degrees-- and Amoxicillin has always worked for me, personally, when it comes to the worst of them. But everyone is different, so if it doesn't help your infection go away, switch to another antibiotic, but be warned that the current push is to prescribe a powerful class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolone, that have a rare, but potentially permanent side effect of nerve damage (and warning states that the effect can happen AFTER you've taken the medication). So, given the choice of antibiotics, I'd take Amoxicillin first. Yes, there are side effects, but minor and temporary. Just take probiotics, eat well, hydrate.”

AveMaria02 · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2016

For Otitis Media: “My son who was 7 months old at the time was prescribed amoxicillin for an ear infection (otitis media) that he had. This was the 3rd or 4th ear infection he had had since being born. Unfortunately, the medication was not effective at getting rid of his ear infection and so it had to be upgraded to Augmentin instead. The Augmentin cleared the ear infection up. My son had recurrent ear infections and ended up needing ear tubes (tympanostomy tubes) put in because of them.”

AveMaria02 · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2016

For Sinusitis: “I have taken this medication many times for sinusitis along with concurrent ear infections (otitis media). It has always cleared up my infection. The only drawback is that I am always prescribed the 875 mg pill and those pills are HUGE!”

milanpruz · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Only used this to cure my UTI so it wouldn't spread to a kidney infection. But the side effects are absolutely horrific! I can't deal with this much longer. I'm supposed to take 500mg/3x a day for 7 days but I'm cutting it short I'll do it for 5 days because it's day 3 and I already want to stop it. My side effects: •All day long nausea •Extreme constipation •Abdominal cramping/pain from the gas trapped and constipation •Diffuctly flactuating •NO appetite whatsoever, every food sounds disgusting and hard to eat •Anxiety and fear mixed with deep sadness •Fatigued and weak •Feeling like I'm slowly dying but trying to make it through each day, day by day •Dehabiliting - I hardly want to go out and do anything, need to sit out a lot.”

always ill · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2016

For Dental Abscess: “Every time I take Amoxillin I get stomach /abdomen problems and can't control my bowels. Also I feel very anxious and can't think straight. I try not to do anything important as I can't focus at all. Other people I know have also experienced this (thankfully )as I thought I was getting mentally ill! These antibiotics really make you feel low but they work! I was prescribed 3 x 500 mg for a week after dental extraction but could only manage to take 2 a day. I quit after 4 days though I know its important to take the whole course. I try to stay out of the sun when Im on this drug as symptoms are worse if you sunbathe.”

Do Not Use This · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2016

For Bronchitis: “I'm 36 years old and have never had a issue with taking any meds other than Lortabs. Despite all of the reviews here, I was sure that I would be okay. The first night taking it, I noticed a lingering headache. I figured, I can deal with a small headache if this is going to clear me up. Well night two, the diarrhea started. The only reason why this was such a problem was because I was on my menstrual cycle as well. However, the diarrhea was not that bad, so I decided to take it again. Day three, my period stopped. I normally have a 6 day cycle, but it was completely gone. I also had severe stomach pain and diarrhea like water. I was in worse pain taking this med. I do not recommend this drug to anyone!!”

Tay2014 September 5, 2016

For Dental Abscess: “I just started taking this medication 4 days ago to prevent infection from wisdom tooth extraction surgery. It has been making me extremely tired and I never had this problem. Today I slept for a total of 17 hours and the first day a total of 14 hours. I have never felt so tired in my life. I have no energy and have had a migraine all day.”

Anonymous August 18, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I always take Azo when I find I have a UTI. I take it with the antibiotic. It immediately gets rid of all the symptoms until the antibiotic can kick in”

Sartaj Singh · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “The drug was effective after the seventh day , I was suffering from tonsil stones and sore throat , probably strep throat , on the 7 day it's gone and the only reaction I had with the drug was a upset stomach.”

Sararosax July 9, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: “I got put on these today as I got a really bad abscess around my gum and tooth my left cheek is so swollen I can't swollen or eat anything. I've taken the first 3 but nothing has changed seems like it's getting worst maybe it's just me and it's too soon to tell but no side effects for me what so ever just make me abit sleepy.. This is prob the worst thing I've ever experienced so bloody painful and uncomfortable ”

Wintercat2 July 5, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I'm on Day 5 out of 7 and am calling it quits and try a different one tomorrow. The side effects hit me all at once on day 3. I got extreme exhaustion and muscle weakness. I couldn't even lift my arms without feeling exhausted. I got really irritable and extreme mood swings (yelling, crying). I got heart palipitations and extreme anxiety/paranoia. Strange rubber feeling in mouth, weird thoughts. On day 4 I started hallucinating a bit (nothing extreme but it was terrifying). Every muscle in my body aches. Oh and I checked to see if my infection improved with an at home test and it's still there! I quit, this is honestly the worst drug I have ever had in my life and didn't do anything. I can't wait for this to wear off.”

Bianca11 · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: “I'm taking for my gum infection, 500 MG caps 3x a day. The first two days on the medication the side effects were pretty bad; extremely dizzy, sleep disturbance, headache, super strong appetite, dysphoria, severe indigestion, and extreme nausea. I'm now on day 3 of 7 and my mouth pain caused by an infection in my gums is gone. I'm still experiencing side effects, but they are at a level 3 or 4 instead of a 9 on the first day. I am so grateful to have found this new dentist. Another dentist gave me a different antibiotic a few months ago for the same issue and it didn't work at all. I really hope this one fully gets rid of the infection. I can't believe how fast it worked!”

momo,raquel June 22, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “Was taking amoxicillin 875 mg twice a day tablets had Excessive tiredness,Chest pain and Upset stomach. first pill ever that made me so sleepy ever day, I'm 18 so it might work different for other people.”

Nicolahbn June 9, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: “This drug was really effective in getting rid of my infection but the side effects were difficult to deal with. The tablets made me so exhausted I really struggled to stay awake all day. My eyes would droop at my desk and I felt lightheaded and dizzy. I found it extremely hard to concentrate. I had to leave work early taking this tablet because I could not focus and many times when my colleagues helped drive me home, they had to help me walk to the car because I was so weak and unfocused I couldn't walk in a straight line. I also felt nauseous for most of the day and had mild stomach cramps. It was wonderful for the infection I had but was the hardest week coping with the exhaustion and drowsiness.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: “Got terrible reaction with redness and itching all over my body. Horrible itching despite caladryl, changing to Z-pak, etc. BE VERY CAREFUL AND RE TESTED FOR REACTION TO PENICILLIN-like DRUGS BEFORE ANY INTERVENTION.”

lady di 2010 May 4, 2016

For Dental Abscess: “I have never been allergic to amoxicillin (500mg) but I received it last week after a dentist visit to take 3 times daily for 7 days. I originally thought nothing of the symptoms until yesterday when it hurt really bad to urinate. But last night it seemed to go away but today the pain is back. I looked up the symptoms today and yes I had diaherra and itching last week (didn't know why) until now. Also tired, itchy and still hurting when I urinate. I stopped taking the medicine because the pain is so bad. I will talk to my dentist when I go back this week but I have never had issues with Amoxicillin. Something must have changed.”

not feelin it May 2, 2016

For Dental Abscess: “I got my wisdom teeth pulled two months ago and got put on antibiotics, had no problem with it at all. Now, two months later, I'm on amoxicillin because I need a root canal treatment and I keep feeling a lump in my throat and pains in the front of my neck down to my collarbone. Sometimes my ears will hurt or my eyes will hurt, or I'll feel like I have a headache. I've never been allergic to medications before, but I've been taking this for two days now and feel awful. I go in for my RCT tomorrow and will have to ask my endodontist about this, but I'm almost sure that it's the amoxicillin causing this. I just wish I wasn't in pain anymore.”

675ttt April 25, 2016

For Sinusitis: “After 7 days on amoxicillen and worsening pain in maxillary sinus, went to ER. Was given choice of 10 days augmentin or zpak. Chose zpak. 5 days, I've already been sick 4 weeks. Wanted faster relief.”

ruby0922 March 31, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Took this for a week for chest infection and when I stopped with in days I had was peeing large amounts of blood...now on another antibiotic for a bladder infection. I don't understand how I got a bladder infection after being on this antibiotic...cleared chest up but nothing for bladder.”

Yo momma · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “So. Amoxicillin works fantastic for a UTI BUT I'd never ever take it w/out a probiotic. I get a bottle of acidophilus (maybe a few billion cultures) at a big box store for under $6. Reason being is antibiotics kill bacteria both good and bad. My daughter gets thrush and Ive NEVER had a yeast infection until on amoxicillin for over 3 days. These Are side effects of good bacteria being killed off. My dr advised me on this & ive never had any more side effects!”

C7734 March 16, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: “Im 17 years old and have been using Amoxicillin for the last month to keep my abscess tooth Infection down... i have never had to drain my tooth at all... It works great with no side effects for me... I did get a little bit of diarrhea but not much at all... No pain anywhere... NOW you do you need to know that everyone's body will react Differently to Amoxicillin So please don't go by what the reviews say... Test it out for your self...”