User Reviews for Amlodipine to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 8)

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine Rating Summary

4.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Amlodipine

Richie Rich · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2019

“Extremely dizzy , lightheaded and bouts of vertigo. Insomnia was common and with having all those symptoms came a kind of depression from feeling like the world was spinning 24/7. But my BP was under control! So effective but the side effects for me were too much.”

Lilliboots March 13, 2019

“I was given Amlodipine when my BP rose due to grief. I'm 68 year old female already taking Propranalol and Simvastatin. The Amlodipine did work and my BP is now normal but I have the feeling of being very ill, dying. I have stopped taking the Amlodipine for a couple of days twice and then returned to it. Both times when I wasn't taking it I felt better, stronger and more normal so I know it is the med making me feel this way.”

Cooee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 11, 2019

“Amlodipine causes me to get up 5X per night to pass urine. It causes my hands to swell to the point where I now have a trigger finger for the first time in my life. Here's the amazing thing. I tell now 2 cardiologists this story and they look at me blankly, followed by "Norvasc does not have a diuretic effect". Rubbish. Read the forums. This is why PRO ( Patient Reported Outcomes) must take over from doctor reported outcomes.”

Mars12 · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2019

“I too had similar side effects to amlodipine though I felt more like crushing rock than any anxiety. Very angry all the time with the shakes. I also was not sleeping at night. And my blood pressure actually went up! It was terrible. I took both 5mg and 10 mg doses. I would never take this drug again. My female cardiologist also did not listen to me. I have recently switched cardiologists.”

Fritz · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine): “Run don't walk from this one! I was on it for 3 weeks. I had vertigo, muscle weakness, shakiness, unusual sweating, extreme flushing, one ear would turn purple, uncontrollable shaking at night, frequent urination, and extra eye floaters. Doctors and nurses couldn't figure out what was wrong until I looked it up and figured out I was having severe reactions to it! I feel better , but now I am left with a shower of floaters from the experience. Do your homework on any new meds!!!”

Mrs bugles · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2019

“I went in this drug, and about 3 weeks later started experiencing horrible anxiety, feeling of “buzzing” in my legs, eye pain and weird sight experienced, etc...... I’m talking about HUGE anxiety! I’ve never been a nervous person before. At one point I thought I would end up in a nervous hospital! I switched meds, and now I feel like myself again. This drug was just awful for me, and my Dr. wasn’t listening to me when I told her about my side effects! My quality of life was really going down the hill on this drug! I was jumpy, nervous, had terrible anxiety!”

KMG December 9, 2018

“I had been taking 10 mg of Amlodopine for close to 3 years. I had a lot of familial issues going on so the side effects I was initially experiencing I chalked them up to my body being overly stressed. Fast forward to October 2018 after several ER visits for chest pain and left arm weakness I realized it was the medicine. I have been having horrible nightmares for the past 3 years as well where I am woken up out of my sleep and usually my teen comes running in my room to check on me because I wake them up as well. I have experienced severe anxiety which I never had anxiety issues before, heart palpitations (that had me thinking maybe I had A-Fib), leg swelling and left leg weakness/discomfort especially when I try to lay on my left side at night. I stopped taking Amlodopine the end of October and switched back to Hctz. Some side effects have lessened and I'm hoping they eventually completely go away. This drug was HORRIBLE for me!!!!”

StephenWV · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 8, 2018

“After a TIA I found I had high blood pressure 170/110 In the hospital they gave me something that caused HUGE adverse reactions. I was then given a brand name sample by my PCP (expensive) that worked but due to price he switched me to the generic equivalent of 2 meds. We adjusted the dosage of each to find the best for me. Settled on Amlodipine 10mg and Quinapril 40mg. Have been taking these for 5+ years with no side effects that I can say are caused by the drugs. (I experience some of the things reported but know some are caused by other issues I have). Nothing is serious. We twice tried to reduce the Quinapril to 20mg but the systolic slowly went up over 2-3 weeks and when it hit 160 I went back to 40mg. Since I started taking these my BP has been about 134/74 regularly. I am now 68 years old 175-180 pounds, exercise, and watch my diet. Works great for me.”

Emkay December 6, 2018

“From my experience, I found that Amlodipine 5 mg is more effective than Losartan 50 mg. Nearly 10 years I used to take Enalapril 5 mg twice daily,but BP that time was ranging from 150/85 to 160/95. Therefore I shifted to Amolodipine 5 mg 2 times about 3 years back and could see a fantastic change in my BP between 110/70 and 120/80. In between when I could not get Amlodipine for few days I took Losartan 50 morning and 25mg at night and I found my BP 140/85 or 90.”

Darth Palpitation November 27, 2018

“I recently got off Amlodipine 10mg and let me tell you -- best decision of my life. The garbage landed me in the hospital three times for tightness, A-fib, and blockage (or seemingly blockage). All three times tests came back normal. It was the damn medication and somehow two different cardiologists couldn't figure it out. I'm now on 50mg of atenolol and a nitric oxide supplement. The atenolol is next to go. All blood pressure medications are bad for me I think. Plant based diet and exercise is the answer.”

Mo November 25, 2018

“I have been prehypertensive for 5 years. Once my BP started to be in hypertensive range, I started taking 5 mg of Amlodipine. It caused severe dizziness, headache , fatigue and drowsiness. I had to go to hospital to rule out MI or and other conditions related to brain. Running drastically reduced my BP to range of 70/40 mm of hg. This medicine has long half life. I stopped Amlodipine”

June November 18, 2018

“I have been taking Amlodipine Besylate 10 mg. For over 6 years now and have the worse side effects have been; heart pounding/palpitations, fatigue, and increased anxiety. I also noticed that my problems were noted when the manufacturer changed to Teva. When the manufacturer was Camber, problems were not noticed. For several years I take Metoprolol XR and Hydrochlorizide with no problems. I stopped taking the Amlodipine Besylate 10 mg. over 3 weeks ago and and have noticed that my energy level has increased, anxiety lessened and heart pounding decreased. My BP has been about the same as when I was taking the Amlodipine Besylate, so I plan to discuss this with my GP. I feel there are problems with this medication and hope that with numerous complaints/concerns it will be further investigated.”

sarah53 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 18, 2018

“after 18 months on amlodipine with awful side affects doctor told me to just stop taking it and put my perindoril from 4mg to 8 mg. I am really worried as I thought you had to wean off it ”

Bo · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2018

“Headaches, swollen ankles, heart palpitations, dizziness, fatigue. Systolic pressure did not decrease much. I’m done with this. Poison!!!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible. FDA is not doing their job!”

Scooby Snacks November 4, 2018

“I was borderline high blood pressure during a check up and the doctor started me at 10mg amlopidine right away. Took 3 days for side effects to kick in, but they've landed me in the hospital for two stays. It causes electrical haywire, tightness, palpitations, you name it. I tried to stop cold turkey, and that landed me in the hospital yet again with sky high blood pressure. Doctor prescribed atenolol, 25mg, as a sidekick medicine and it smoothed over most of the haywire effects. The problem is now I am on two of these bad boys and it's ridiculously hard to get off them without feeling like you're going to have a stroke. I'm trying to sort out how to wean myself down and get off this hot mess. Given a choice, I would take atenolol over this stuff hands down. Improved diet and exercise is by far the best option. I dread the suffering and probable hospital stay it's going to take to get off this nasty in the coming weeks. Think carefully before you ever get involved with it.”

Scooby October 27, 2018

“I started on 5mg of amlodopine 3 weeks ago following a visit to an out of hours Doctor. At first it did drop my Bp, but after the first week I noticed that when I took my Bp reading at 9:00am it was down to 130/78 (ish), but after taking the medication, and checking my Bp at 2.00pm it was up to 150/100. The same occurred at 8:00pm as well. Then, 4 days ago it shot back up to 185/125 which caused me to end up at the doctors again. The doctor said that he thought my Bp had risen further because I was anxious about my Bp and advised me to stop taking readings for a few days, at least until the weekend. I have, and surprise surprise my Bp today has dropped to a sensible 125/78. The other thing I’ve noticed is they give me a full headache and they caused my resting heartbeat to rise from 67 to 78 which is very strange as well. I think I’ll be asking my Gp to reassess my treatment as I don’t think this drug works for me.”

Cracker · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 21, 2018

“Effective in lowering blood pressure with terrible side effects. Muscle pain, back pain, shoulder pain, headaches, balance issues, brain fog, memory problems, depression erectile disfunction. Length of use six years on and off. When side effects become intolerable I stop using it and resume when blood pressure rises again. I live in the UK.”

healthyheart October 17, 2018

“I stopped amlodipine a couple times since I started taking it about a year ago, but kept going back to it due to raising blood pressure. While taking amlodipine, I developed severe anxiety and nervousness, also weight loss and reduced appetite. More recently I've developed gastric problems, dry mouth and severe weakness and fatigue. I stopped taking it about 3 days ago, fatigue and weakness do not seem to be getting better, also feeling a but dizzy. Although it has lowered my BP to normal levels the side effects are unbearable. Anyone know how long before this resolves?”

James · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2018

Norvasc (amlodipine): “Been on the medication for about a week now. Seems to work well. Always had a bit of vertigo so can't attest to the dizziness claims. Doesn't work as well as my previous Lopressor/Micardis regimen I was on but we'll see. The plan is to lower potassium levels due to the side effects of the other two in addition to the high blood pressure.”

Anonymous October 11, 2018

“This medicine actually works as far as lowering my blood pressure, but the side effects are awful! I started out on 10mg and I had to cut the pill in half which made me feel much better. I hope I no longer have to take this medication soon. :(”

Khan · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2018

“I’m having heart pain ever since I started taking this medication. I was doing fine without it... by doing exercise, cutdown on sodium and taking garlic sometimes. Now with so many bad reviews, I would not recommend this medicine.”

Steph October 4, 2018

“Awful swelling in feet and ankles to the point that some of my shoes no longer fit. Itchiness in that area as well. Flushed face. Medication did not lower my blood pressure very much at all so it wasn't worth the suffering of the side effects.”

THEOFANIS MASTICHAS · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 1, 2018

“It reduces blood pressure quite rapidly, but it has some side-effects, particularly flushing, blushing and above all night urination, rather frequent urination. In case of a small headache, you simply need to cut down a part of a dosage.”

Jools · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2018

“I’m a 51 year old female. Previously on Ramipril which I had to stop due to the permanent tickling annoying cough which I developed. Began taking Amlodipine 5mg some months ago. Had a couple of bouts of dizziness, have had neck pain, swollen hands, etc but had never thought this could be due to this medication, until recently and reading up on the side effects. Very recently my anxiety levels sky rocketed, my motivation, concentration and mood significantly plummeted-I am now going to request my GP changes my meds to stop my awful low mood/depressed state, as I am sure it’s because of this medication.”

Babysister September 26, 2018

“I thought Norvasc and amlodipine was the same medicine. Amlodipine is the generic name of Norvasc.”