User Reviews for Amlodipine to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 7)

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine Rating Summary

4.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Amlodipine

Rosebud · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 19, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine): “Gained 50 lbs over 2 years while on Norvasc. Then I stopped taking it and am going to increase lisinipril which I can take longterm and its cheaper. Norvasc is great at lowering BP though. Not recommended for long term.”

Cindy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2019

“I’m 44 years old female and I have been taking amlodipine 5mg for approximately 6 months consecutively. After about a couple months I experienced something strange... my lower back went out on me. This never happened before. I couldn’t stand up straight for at least a week! My hair has been thinning out rapidly as well! I’m scared now and I also have a lot of weird dreams / nightmares and have to drink strong coffee to get through the day without sleeping.”

Norcalfilly · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

“I just started taking amlodipine last week for heigh blood pressure. I take it at night before bed to avoid the dizziness. I haven't experienced any swelling but other side effects I've had are heartburn, vision changes, nausea, higher than normal BP, bloating, and constipation, lots of flushing over my entire body. Occasionally asthma like symptoms. I use a CPAP for sleep apnea, am diabetic, hypothyroidism, Ankylosing Spondylitis so I take Humira and Meloxicam. I have occasional chest pain and palpitations.”

Tlc · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

“Prescribed AMLODIPINE about a little over a week ago for high blood pressure. First night had a headache which I awakened w each night. In addition, my ankles swelled which gave me trouble walking, a racing heartbeat upon waking, frequent night visits to the bathroom, anxiety and deep dreams. To me this is abhorrent that this would be on the market to help someone. Last night was the worst where I literally I would wake up with odd stomach discomfort, pain I hips and buttocks, anxiety very badly and an overall nervousness about going to sleep, nausea too. Almost went to the ER!!! Did not take it this morning and already feel better. Shared this with the doctor who said well maybe I can add a beta-blocker!!!! NO WAY! ***and the drug is super cheap! I paid like $1.50 w my insurance. That’s very strange.”

The king · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2019

“I'm on amlodipine 10 mg for high blood pressure I haven't had swelling ankles yet, the only side effect I feel rushing in my chest and it raises my pulse”

Kitkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2019

“Amlodipine side effects are that my legs are hurting, ankles are swelling and I feel tired. It is helping bp but I don't like feeling this way all the time.. ask my Dr to change it if she don't I'll go elsewhere to get help.”

Alicat · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

“Second time tried 5mg amilopidine for high blood pressure. First time lasted 3 days. Suffered most of the side effects so switched to Ramipril which I lasted 2 months but the cough got me. Tried amolipidine again. First week had most of the side effects. After week 3 I was fine. 6 weeks in I'm itching all over covered in welts - so I'm allergic to amlodipine”

No thank you · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2019

“I have been on 10 mg amlodipine for high blood pressure for many years, my pharmacy switch to a new provider, manufactured by LUPIN pharma and my blood pressure is no longer stable and I am uncomfortable. I have a stressful occupation and the generic Norvasc was serving me well for over 10 years. I have been on this brand for about 4 months and find this medication questionable. At this point I do not believe this is accomplishing the goal of balancing my blood pressure. I recommend you question the use if it does not agree with you. For me I do not recommend it and have been told its the only brand my pharmacy carries. This causes me concern for me and for others.”

caboose April 29, 2019

“I've been on AMLODIPINE BESYATE 5 mg tablets about 5 months. Side effects is swelling on both feet, ankles and lower legs. Am on CPAP + oxygen (one year + 4 months). My blood pressure was 180/85, ... now 124/78 - 113/75. Hmm, ... am a heavy sleeper and ALWAYS dreams, usually struggling with issues in the dreams. Now, usually sleep 9 to 11 hours .... and don't know why so danged long! Am female (well I was the last time I looked down!) and in my late 70's. Iam obese and don't exercise like I should, have not experienced what others are going through. I don't know what to make of all this, and yes, I am thankful for my blessing. Feel bad that some of you went through AWFUL experiences and glad you got off that med! I noticed many reviewers mention they are fit and exercise, but with this med, having horrific side effects ---- fit? obese??? what gives?”

Alicat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2019

“I've been on amlodipine 5mg for high BP. First time I was on them I only lasted a week. Side effects...itchy skin, dizzy and headaches. This time been on them a month...dizzy, headaches, not sleeping, itchy skin and fatigued”

Deb · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2019

“I had a lacunar stroke and my new cardiologist changed two of my meds. I went from Losartan/Metoprolol/Doxazosin to Losartan/Carvedilol/Amolodopine and I seriously thought I was going to die. I ended up having most of the serious complications of both new drugs. I went back to old meds and all of the 20 issues went away. Then I tried one at a time. I am never taking Carvedilol and Amolodopine again.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2019

“Using 2.5 mg’s for blood pressure. I am very sensitive to new med changes and have multiple drug allergies. This medication, thus far, at 2.5 mg per day, has been a smooth transition. Compared to my long time beta blocker use, I feel much more clear headed, able to focus and not feel like a zombie struggling to feel energetic each day. An amazing added bonus to taking this medication, it has virtually eliminated if not significantly reduced my migraine/cluster headaches.”

Lisag April 23, 2019

“I was on Lisinaprol for about 15yrs, when suddenly around my lips got red, burning, and a little swollen. Doc took me off lisinaprol, and lips got better. Pressure shot up. After 1 week . I started 2.5 Novasc. My lips are bad again. I'm hating ALL meds.”

Margi · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 19, 2019

“For most of my life I have been walking at least two hours per day. Since on amlodipine I have started battling to walk and a few weeks ago was told to go into a wheel chair. I never once associated the amlodipine to not walking. My new doctor told me that Amlodipine weakens the lower limb muscles. I was taken off the drug over 5 weeks and put onto new meds. Withdrawal is the worst. My blood pressure stays on 185 over 95 even with blood pressure meds. Sleeping is a nightmare and I heard that it carries on for 120 days after leaving the drug. Do you know that some Amlodipine was recalled because of a cancer causing ingredient found in it a while ago”

TO · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 10, 2019

“I was put on amlodipine besylate for hypertension about 2 years ago. I immediately felt lethargic, dizzy, tired, anxious. I used to walk and hike, but could not anymore as my legs and feet got severely swollen, and I had pains in my legs. I also got bouts of vertigo and very short of breath when walking up a mild incline. It felt like I was having a heart attack with chest pain. I gained about 20 lbs and struggled to get a good night sleep. I went off it about a month ago and my blood pressure is normal, my symptoms are gone, I have more energy and can now hike as before. I cannot believe this is allowed to be prescribed.”

Bisa · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2019

“I was prescribed this medication after I was unable to go more than a week on Lisinopril (10mg). I figured this new medicine would be okay since it was only 2.5 mg. Oh my gosh, this drug is horrible. I feel like I am constantly in slow motion. I have fatigue and light headedness. I have what feels like hot flashes throughout the day and night. THE WORST is the anxiety. I have never dealt with anxiety before. I was in a store and I felt a chill run down my body. I felt clammy and hot and I had to run out of the store. I could barely drive home. It was awful. I am going off this medication. I lasted 6 days. My blood pressure was in the high 30’s at home before medication. I had a few high readings in the office because I was nervous. I am going to try diet and exercise. I am at a healthy weight and I don’t drink or smoke. This drug is evil! I had horrible dreams too!”

Notforme · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2019

“I’ve been taking 5mg of amlodipine for almost 3 months. I have not felt well for almost the entire time. I’m very healthy, exercise and watch my diet. I started to google the side effects and Bingo! I won’t be taking this anymore.”

Tee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 5, 2019

“Was taking amlodipine 5mg/day when I could for high blood pressure. It did help lower my blood pressure, but the migraines I got from it were unbearable. Each time I went off them the pain would slowly go away over the course of 2-3 days.”

mpthewizard · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 4, 2019

“I am 62 years off age Black male 6-1, 215lbs athletic. Was put on Amolodopine 5mgs 3 years ago, just increased to 10mgs one week ago. I have been having to get up in the night several times to pee which is something new since increasing to 10mgs. I noticed someone’s comments below having the same issue and said two cardiologist looked at him weird as if that couldn’t happen...well it does! Have also had side effects of dizziness and feeling in chest as if I have indigestion. Told doctor about the feeling of lethargy, he had me take blood test for vitamin d levels and mine were low so now I take Vitamin D, it helps.”

Roberto5621 · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2019

“I have been on Amlodipine for 1 week now and here is what I have started experiencing: occasional double vision, some hip pain, and a very serious nightmare. I was sound asleep when all of a sudden my throat felt like I was having the worst case of acid reflux I have ever had and I could not catch my breath; I immediately came upright because I could not breath; the feeling immediately went away but there was no indication that acid reflux had occurred (no terrible taste in my throat, no soreness) so I assume it was a very realistic nightmare, but the fact I could not breath seemed very real. I'm not sure I want to continue taking this drug. Sometimes I feel like a guinea pig for pharmaceutical companies.”

Lily · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine): “I have taken amlodipine now for 9 months. I started off with a terrible rash. The medication lowered my blood pressure at 117/79 and sometimes even lower”

Doe · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2019

“Started taking amlodipine for high blood pressure, so many side effects first day all I could taste was salt in my mouth and I felt like I had the flue as well and got sent to Hospital because of them”

A lot · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 25, 2019

“After a stroke, my mum was prescribed this vile drug and continued to take it for around 16/17 months. She is now dying of cancer that wasn’t there before. This drug needs to be exposed.”

snagz · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2019

“I refuse to use any APO brand product after finding these apo-amlodipine too difficult to break in half - my dose is half a tablet. Obviously they don't care about the user who has to purchase a cutter just for this ultra cheap made product. My doctor only prescribes me one that is easy to break in half now.”

Richie Rich · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2019

“Extremely dizzy , lightheaded and bouts of vertigo. Insomnia was common and with having all those symptoms came a kind of depression from feeling like the world was spinning 24/7. But my BP was under control! So effective but the side effects for me were too much.”