User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 795 medications

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 4 reviews 2 medications

5.8
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 952 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Fibromyalgia: "I started it and noticed I slept well after first tablet. The 10mg works better for fibromyalgia on low dose apparently (10mg) but anyway I took it daily an hour or two before bed but it did take a good 4 months to get into my system and work on blocking out most of my pain and actually get to grips with my own personal experiences with this chronic condition. It worked really well on my migraines I get them occasionally if I eat food triggers wheat - dairy - msg amongst other triggers but not nearly as bad as before I started taking amitriptyline. I can honestly say its given me back my life and can plan ahead which I have never been able to do before. I gave it a 10/10. My side effects were dry mouth for few weeks and I watch my diet because it can increase your appetite"

gigiboo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Suffered migraines for over 15 years average 2-3 a month 10/10 pain vomiting, sweats the absolute worse and headaches on daily basis 7/10 pain. I've been on 50mg endep for 4 years. Migraines are not as severe but still get a least once a month. Headaches still a daily problem. I'm now taking inderal 40mg with endep 50mg it's been 9 days and so far no headaches. I'll write a review after a few months. Hopefully good news finally"

Abj2278 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pudendal Neuralgia: "This drug saved my life. Pudendal neuralgia was making me utterly miserable. I could barely even sit down. But between 10mg and 30mg of this drug and my pain disappeared. I became happier and was able to live my life without thinking about the pain. Highly recommended for anyone with sensitive or painful nerves."

CrystalLily September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Amazing difference."

Shelley321 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started taking this a few days ago and the difference is unreal. No more pain, can eat what I want (no dairy and no gluten made no difference) I'm taking this med for nerve pain and this added bonus is amazing."

Shelley321 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome about 3 years ago. From my elbow to the tip of my fingers the pain is always there. I am on 25mg once a day and the pain is still there. Sometimes so severe I have to cry out. These pills do very little for me."

stumpjumper 206 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Hi. I suffered with constant dizziness every day to some degree for at least 5 years. Seen neurologists, had brain scans and tried various drugs. The last neurologist said it could be a type of migraine but I am not convinced (every day for 5 years)? It is ruining my life. I can't make plans, drive, look after grandkids, just stuck indoors. Just started taking 10mg of Amitripyline and am worried that one of the side effects is dizziness! I will give it a good try because I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Anybody else taken this drug for dizziness? how did it work for you??"

Anonymous September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am taking amitriptyline four 3 years I started 10mg and up to much higher doses. I had 3mth set back.that's why I am taking a bigger dose. last night I was able to go to sleep with out back & leg pain"

cookie419 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I am a senior and was given amitriptyline for sleep. I found that 10mg was too strong and made me very groggy in the AM. Cutting the 10mg in half has worked very well for me. I only take it if I have had poor sleep 2 nights in a row,. It knocks me out for 7-8 hours."

larsat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I started having head pains on the right side of my head/neck/eye after the loss of a loved one. Sharp pains and long lasting dull ache on the right side wouldn't go away, sometimes numbness etc. And for about a year I went through EVERY type of Dr & test possible. Long story short and two MRI's later (all came back normal). I was no closer to ridding myself of these pains. I found a new Dr who put me on Elavil (25mg) and I can say after 3 months my head pains are reduced 85%. I have pain free days now! It took about 2 months to work in my case. Tiredness is a side effect but mine went away after a few weeks. This med has given me hope. I hope if you're having these problems you will give it a chance to work..."

BunnyBuelle September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After surgery to remove a kidney I developed IBS mixed. I was missing so much work and school and it only got worse as I got older. After moving I saw a new digestive health Dr. He put me on this with Levsin, omg the change was almost immediate. Within a week I was so much better. I've been on them for about a year now and I still have a couple episodes once every 3 months or so but it's managed and controlled now. If I forget to refill or skip a dose, I suffer within 12 hours of the missed dose."

Ajay87 August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Horrific. First thing, 1st pill, was extremely dry mouth with a dry cough that last a couple of hours. 2 day same but now accompanied with an internally anxiety accompanied by insomnia. Within a week, felt like every adverse reaction mention in pamphlet and online was applicable plus some not mentioned (dry mouth, blurred vision, centralized stomach pain/gut, constipation and blurred double vision... OH! not to mention the vivid racing dreams anytime I could fall asleep.) When I mentioned to Dr., his feeling was for me to continue meds. Issues would work themselves out within a couple weeks more. "Ok doc. I'll give it a couple of weeks more of this torture these pills have put me in." Went home and tossed them in garbage."

Amelia Rocissano (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "Well I haven't started this med yet. But I am going to be taking this for my fibromyalgia. I'm already taking gabapentin for my joint and muscle pains. It seems to help But, anyways will find out soon."

Jaltoni2010 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Started taking this to help me get off Lunesta. Taking 10mg. For me, it does NOT put me to sleep like a sleeping pill. It makes me very tired but doesn't knock me out. But, it's supposed to help with early morning awakening when you can't get back to sleep. I believe it does help with that. I find you want to take it early, like at 8:00 p.m. if you want to feel sleepy at 10:00 p.m. Also, you WILL be drowsy the next morning - another reason to take it early. I actually started taking it at 7:00 p.m. to help with the morning drowsiness. Again, the down side of this medication is that you will be very drowsy in the evening if you take it early and/or you will be drowsy in the morning!!!"

SpazzyLee (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This drug has changed my life. I wish it hadn't taken going through 7-8 medications and 2 years of feeling like a test subject, but I finally found the one! Doctors tend to use SSRIs for the first line of defence against anxiety and depression (also insomnia). I tried Lexapro, Hydroxyzine, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Zoloft (again), and a variety of over the counter supplements. I also did yoga, crossfit, all the natural cures to mental instability. The SSRIs helped significantly but resulted in bad side effects such as sexual, feeling like a robot, and wearing off, over time. After a few melt downs, 3 doctors, and 2 years, I tried amitriptyline (a tricyclic antidepressant). Now, I feel fantastic- happy, sleeping well, anxiety-free"

Molldoll (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have troubles with Anxiety and insomnia for years I've been on different types of medicine and some of them helped but I just went to my doctor On 8/15 and He put me on Amitripyline 50 mg so I take that night and I must say that's the best sleep I've had in a long time , I woke up feeling good I had plenty of energy and my mood was totally different I have 28 employees and sometimes it can be VERY stressful but I went to work feeling GREAT and I've only took 1 pill so far !!!! I'm looking forward to a new me since ❤️"

Chinadol65 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have taken many SSRI's, none were all that great. Fluvoxamine helped my OCD some. So my prescribing psychologist put me on amitriptyline. It really works for me. Helps me sleep some, and I'm not having the chronic depression and low mood. Sometimes the oldies are the best."

bpmabq August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking amitriptyline for about 9 years now. I always take 10 mg. I read there are people who take a very high dosage. In a high dosage it does not work for insomnia but for depression. It is better to start with 10 mg. When you start taking them you can have side effects, but these will disappear in time. When you are very busy in your head, it is possible that it won't work that night. But don't give up. I take it about 2.5 hours before going to bed. But don't use a high dosage, it won't work for your insomnia. It is an excellent pain killer as well, in a lower dosage. And with 10 mg it is very easy to stop taking it, I did that a couple of times without any problems."

Dutchiedutch August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "My mother is an elderly user of this Med and was sent a letter by her health insurance. The letter stated it can cause falling in ageing users."

Lil B August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "10-12.5 mg for insomnia works well. I will take it earlier to avoid grogginess. It also helps with the low mood you develop when you don't sleep well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Helps me fall asleep but the higher mg I take the more hungover I feel the next day. 25mg works best for me and 5-6 hours sound sleep"

high mg = high hangover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: "Started 25mg for crippling panic attacks !! Had them for 6-7 months without even any relief from xanax ... first and only med that has worked for me without side effects ! Couldn't even take an SSRI felt so sick from them .. 25mg saved my life !"

Thanking meds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I am using trypiyizole 10 mg for around 12 years to treat fibromylagia and I feel very happy With the improvement .I can say that it is a miracle drug ,also it did not cause any side effects Though it is an old generation drug but it is much effective ."

Senan (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I was recently diagnosed with a pinched nerve in the mid-upper back due to scoliosis (at age 66). I have suffered pain in both the mid to upper back as well as my lower back. A friend who recently broke her back told me I needed to ask my doctor about Elavil. I was very familiar with this drug as I took it 40 years ago for panic attacks. I was on 10 mg for 2 weeks and have now been on 25 mg for 2 weeks. My upper back pain is virtually gone and if I do have break through pain, I can usually control it with Chinese Herbal Warming gel, Biofreez and DMSO. I am sold on this medication! Not 100% pain free yet but am at last 95% pain free."

Alice0503 August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "I told my doctor about my symptoms and he told me that my symptoms did not appear in his medical handbook so he disregarded my symptoms completely. He said it was mandatory for him to report any symptom not listed in his book to the proper health authorities to update the handbook. However, he didn't report the side effects that I told him about because it was "too much paperwork." Instead, he tried to convince me that it had nothing to do with Elavil and in a threatening demeanour tried to change my mind about my symptoms so that he would not be forced to do any paperwork. After reading this site on Elavil, I see the symptoms that I told my doctor about. I find that my doctor acted in an unsafe, unprofessional, and negligent manner."

John AB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017