This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
or yeast infection, is a common vaginal infection.
Seek immediate care if:
- You have fever and chills.
- You are bleeding from your vagina and it is not your monthly period.
- You develop abdominal or pelvic pain.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- Your signs and symptoms get worse, even after treatment.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Signs and symptoms:
- Thick, white, cheese-like discharge from your vagina
- Itching, swelling, or redness in your vagina
- Burning when you urinate
Diagnosis and treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis:
Your healthcare provider will ask about your medical history and examine you. He may also take a sample of your vaginal discharge. Your healthcare provider will prescribe medicine to treat the fungus causing your infection. The medicine may be a pill, topical cream, or vaginal suppository.
Manage your symptoms:
- Wear cotton underwear.
- Keep the vaginal area clean and dry.
- Do not have sex until your symptoms are gone.
- Do not douche.
- Do not use feminine hygiene sprays, powders, or bubble bath.
Prevent another infection:
- Take showers instead of baths.
- Eat yogurt.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Control your blood sugar if you are diabetic.
- Limit your time in hot tubs.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.